• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice peace getting Andalusia. I always like when the enemy refuses my modest peace proposal just to tur around and offer me everything I could hope for and the some.

That blue chunk in Africa is messing up the nice sea of Fez brown. Hopefully Fez will be strong enough to deal with this before 1819.

Hail Fez! Finally Al-Djazair is in your possession. I support the idea of dealing with the blue chunk of land - France should pay for interfering with your "treatment" of Mali.

Fun to see that Fez owns Andalusia. Maybe it is possible to release it as a vassal, so you can help it reclaim Granada?

@Brian Roastbeef
I have included the pictures you wanted, I forgot them last time (1646). I didn't ignore you, though.

Will Fez deal with the French Question? Hmm...well, maybe, but not how you might expect. Fez has to prioritise...

@Olav
I'm pretty sure that's impossible. They're Spanish now.

@Misconstruction
All praise be to Allah, and his prophet, who, in case you forgot, be named Mahomet. So sayeth Isma'il, sultan of Fez. We will ride over the infidels.

We'll resume...real soon now.

@Brian Roastbeef
I have included the pictures you wanted, I forgot them last time (1646). I didn't ignore you, though.

Will Fez deal with the French Question? Hmm...well, maybe, but not how you might expect. Fez has to prioritise...

Yeah, I noticed them in the last update, thanks. :cool:

Its good to see the expanse of the Empire of Fez, particularly in light of the recent gains. The glance at that massive Poland was impressive as well. :D

The latest delay involves pictures again. It seems that allyoucanupload.com, a webshots registration free hosting service, has gone from "discontinued" to "dead" and I once again let some images go. Their site says they are down for temporary maintenance, and that images are still visible, but it's been that way for at least several days.:mad: I will be contacting webshots to find out what their idea of "available shortly" is, and then I'll rescue the images from that horrible host. I don't really feel like updating before then. Sorry, guys.

So I read the entire AAR up until now and great job! ;) I can't wait for the next update!
It will be interesting to see if the Christian Spain becomes Islamic and if Latin America becomes Muslim America :)

Cool! Fez have more interest in Africa, but where "the prophet" goes, Fez follows.

- - -

October 8th, 1712. Delhi (which loveth Fez like no other) shared their maps with us again, revealing Asiatic lands.

11448373-523.jpg

January 2nd, 1717. Fez hath complete control in the trading centre of Tago, the most valuable trading centre in the world. Notice how Andalusia went from being a sizable chunk of Iberia and Africa to Tangiers, Granada, and Gibraltar. We are trying to keep this trading centre alive, but at this size no one be interested in trading there.

11448375-51d.jpg

June 27th, 1719. Our great sultan Isma'il, may he live forever, hath ordered that the only entity authorised to tax be the crown, especially in Nupa!

11448376-0f9.jpg

June 28th, 1719. This just be stupid. Yes, that be the only province in the trading centre.

11448377-718.jpg

January 1st, 1725. The trading centre of Andalusia finally closed. The replacement be some Portuguese pig sty in America. The jest be that Fez can now trade in America, for the other Europeans have mostly levied embargoes against fair Fez.

11448378-76a.jpg

June 2nd, 1725. The sickest man of Europe be the Ottoman empire, so does the saying go. That because France and Venice control a bunch of it.

11448621-c58.jpg

June 5th, 1726. Since the wicked Portuguese have decided to embargo us anew, Isma'il of great Fez has decided to fight them again. To the south be an army to cover the African colonies. There be a large force to fight for Fernando Po. Near the Senegal we have a transport with one conquistadore, who shalt be sent to America for the purpose of occupying the vast green blob there. For Fez!

11448622-31c.jpg

March 22nd, 1727. Fare you well, lord Isma'il. Ahmad "the average" now rules Fez. The golden age of Fez has come to an end. Alas.

11448625-460.jpg

April 20th, 1727. Mali has declared independence from France. Ahmad, sultan of Fez, has accepted a -3 stability adjustment to acquire this fine property.

11448626-f9e.jpg

July 23rd, 1727. Our army in America has been completely annihilated. Our Andalusian army has repeatedly failed to destroy the advanced armies of Portugal. Portugal's ever present navy completely blocked the assault on Fernando Po. Our best hope be to force Portugal to accept a white peace since our army will be infesting their home land. Behold all those surreptitious buggers in America.

11448627-3bf.jpg

Last edited:
Nice look around Europe and Africa... I hate fighting Spain or Portugal late game. They always have overstrong colonies in God-forsaken places that are to near to impossible to get invading forces in respectable fashion.

Never seen the Andalusia CoT that small...

Fez!!, onward!

- - -

March 9th, 1728. Mali has been annexed by Fez. Unfortunately, they turned all Sunni on us.

November 1st, 1728. Portugal did not attack our ferry off Orania, and so Fez has been ferrying men to Portugal from Fez itself. Oh, and we now share the same land technology with Portugal.

March 6th, 1729. The worthless sultan Ahmad has been removed by the council of elders, and in his place...'Abd Allah! Doesn't that sound familliar?

11466036-1f0.jpg

May 18th, 1729. All arquebuses have been replaced with muskets! Our military quality has increased by 1.

October 4th, 1729. A weapons manufactory hath been commissioned in Anti Atlas.

January 13th, 1730. The Kongo has brought in a train with naught but rotten meat! This insult will not go unpunished.

June 20th, 1730. We are making a second attempt to attack the American colonies. Portugal now offers their money, about 275 ducats, for peace. Clearly Fez needs Portugal's land more than their money.

August 1st, 1730. Portugal offered us Lobito, Curango (their two African colonies) and Algarve. This war be not about those provinces, although, depending on how vulnerable Portugal's far flung possessions are, we might have to settle for a deal such as this.

August 7th, 1730. Invading America again...

11466037-df8.jpg

October 29th, 1730. Fortunately, Portugal has no defence this time. Fez actually had to fight some American rebels to keep this situation in our control. (+42 war score) The trading centre to the south would be nice, assuming that it shalt not shrink to one province immediately after we gain it!

11466039-2cd.jpg

January 3rd, 1731. A second weapons manufactory has been commissioned in Aures, an iron province.

February 20th, 1731. Heh!

11466041-eac.jpg

March 25th, 1731. Here be a tally of the peace at Tago, in which the African colonies, the American trading centre of Niteroi, two colonies with refineries, one colony which connects one of the former with a port, and 300 ducats were awarded to Fez. Portugal should have just tolerated Fez's supremacy in matters financial, but their arrogance has cost them dearly.

11466043-d66.jpg

Portugal accepted.

April 15th, 1731. Fortresses for all the new colonies! No one shalt walk over Fez!

May 9th, 1731. Our monthly income now be reported as 272 ducats per month. The Ivorian regiment be planning to march south to subdue and annex the Congolese negroes, who hath remained in the stone age, much to our convenience. Their insult never was forgotten.

11466093-78b.jpg

January 1st, 1733. There be a lot going on here, what with the market volatility and invasion of the Kongo and such.

11466094-658.jpg

August 12th, 1733. The monthly revenue of Fez exceeds 310 ducats. We also had an other "deflation event" as the corrupt merchants in Ivoria were removed from our trading centre.

August 21st, 1733. Unfortunately, Fez invited Delhi to the war for amusement and bond strengthening. Delhi gave three of four of the Kongo's provinces to Fez. 'Abd Allah shall be more careful in future concering alliances and brainless allies.

July 2nd, 1734. Bengal initiated a trade embargo against Fez. This sort of thing never works out...

July 4th, 1734. Mine ally, the useless one, Delhi, most enamoured of Fez, declined vassalisation two or three times, declared war on Bengal. Fez hath joined. Fez can not provide support for this conflict.

December 27th, 1734. After being whipped by Bengal, Delhi deducted twenty ducats from our war funds and gave that to Bengal. Oh, thanks. Nice work. Shall we do this again some time?

January 1st, 1735. Our communication network hath improved such that we can now effectively appoint gouverneurs throughout the land. Therefore, our inflation shall be squelched!

11466095-9af.jpg

January 2nd, 1736. A new centre of trade has developed in "Walata," one of two French controlled provinces in Africa. Stupid game has it in for us, yea? Now African trade shalt be divided amongst the remaining centres.

February 18th, 1736. One of the children of our late sultan Isma'il has been appointed royal consort, and the result be that we hath an excellent minister! Behold,

11466096-962.jpg

('Abd Allah's strength be administration, and that be my favourite skill for a sultan to have.)

January 7th, 1737. Portugal renewed their embargo on Fez. Perhaps they feel a bit burdened by their various provinces, and wish that Fez would collect them.

October 24th, 1737. Since Fez overflows with settlers, I, nameless minister, have advised our lord 'Abd Allah to implement a policy of settling colonies until they may be settled no further, because we have too much going on right now to settle fresh colonies.

March 27th, 1738. The colonisation programme of eastern Africa. ("Tiracambu" be an American city with a refinery.)

11466097-351.jpg

January 1st, 1740. 'Abd Allah has commanded that all soldiers stationed in tropical regions be issued uniforms which breathe. Their quality has increased by 1. (Fez hath lost two policy changes to mis-timing. One thing I liketh not about Europa Universalis.)

February 12th, 1752. All the heretics and heathen have been cleansed from Douala! At last, no more appeals to "Zeus" and "Lono" in the streets.

11469889-530.jpg

In other news, our American trading centre collapsed and moved one province south, to Portugal. I can not be sure how long 'Abd Allah shalt tolerate this sort of thing.

March 6th, 1756. As the council of elders expected, 'Abd Allah quickly lost his patience with the Portuguese pigs and Fez has come to claim more of Portugal's empire for trading rights, chiefly. Fez could just annex these infidels, if not for their impossibly remote holding of Guangdong, China. Fez can only do so much.

11469473-19e.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah Fez is now officially huge. The Portuguese empire, not so much. The French are itching for punishment though.

And For the Glory has banners so that you won't miss DP slider changes for more than a couple of months... just sayin' ;)

Man, this place is dead. I sort of hoped by waiting a month I could get another look or two, but I now have a monopoly on active EUII AARs :confused:

Oh, and that one that hasn't been updated since 2006 does not count. :p

All right. You mentioned, "For The Glory." I see that all the EUII AAR energy has fled there, because in my understanding of the situation, For The Glory is more or less a patched EUII - except we get to buy it all over again.

In EUII most banners/log entries/dialog boxes can be switched to the other notifications - I don't really see why you wouldn't want to immediately pause the game with a dialog box when the diplomatic settings can be moved. Is that possible in For The Glory? Neglecting to understand that players are going to want to adjust those every time at least for the first couple of centuries is an oversight of Paradox's. This goes to the heart of the matter; should Paradox reveal the details of the game mechanics and risk making the experience gamey and force arbitrary actions to achieve success?

Now I think I'll jump in to a diatribe against EUIII, the slayer of EUII.

I am really disappointed EUIII does not continue in EUII's style; I think the music situation really defines my position. PI doesn't want to be tied to history and predictable, uncontrollable events any more than the world conqueror might. PI also viewed the monarchs as events unto themselves; random, baseless in the game play, but static. These ideas are fine by themselves - not necessary, but valid concerns over game structure. The problem is, where does PI draw the line? Not at music - why be weighed down with historical music when any music could have been composed? They kept the names of countries, and the shape of the land...but why? Why not make EUIII in to Alpha Centauri, where continents change every game, the vegetation is red, and there are "factions" instead of nations? At what point does PI make arbitrary choices? I think music is that point. This is a point where the very things which made the game attractive are removed to make a different game with different design flaws...perhaps not a worse game, but not EU.

So getting back to the present day, FtG undoubtedly is a nod to uncompromising folk like me, who are alienated when game premises are changed. Other folk got a new game with new ideas and better designs...a living community.

The problem is FtG is more or less EUII. That's not at all what I want - sure, if FtG is the definitive EUII, great, but that doesn't make it a different game. If I ever get a decent computer and some time, I'll have to try CK...maybe even Victoria, depending on how palatable it is. I tried HoI...that was way too confusing for me. Of course, I only have a little information about FtG, but from what I know it's the same old thing. FtG is more like EUII than EU.

I shall continue on alone then. I have plenty more to say about the chronicles of Fez.

- - -

November 9th, 1757. 'Abd Allah has died...in a sailing accident. Any way, please welcome sultan Muhammad III, again! (All joking aside, these names be inadequate. And what nonsense be with Muhammad III coming after Muhammad V? Can't these men count?) Muhammad III "the Lazarus" be a fine diplomat, which Fez needs. Converting all those Catholic colonies would be nice, but that be difficult.

11805113-d9b.jpg

November 15th, 1757. France just couldn't resist the temptation of invading rich, wonderful Fez. Whilst France be more advanced than Fez, Muhammad III rather doubts they can fight us on our home continent. Actually, Fez be capable of attacking France itself if their naval defences should fail.

11805114-8f4.jpg

January 8th, 1758. The world-famous glacier at Walata provides delicious mountain water in the summer time, whilst protecting the province from siege at winter.

11805115-9d3.jpg

Believe it or not!

October 1st, 1760. Lord Montcalm died in battle at Granada. France has many such lords leading their armies.

May 14th, 1761. France fights viciously, I may fairly say, mostly because of their technology, but Fez be the better nation. And now, to hit France where they will hurt...(Venice has been annexed by France)

11805116-a28.jpg

February 20th, 1762. France has been offering Fez 200 ducats to forget their indiscretions. The navy of Fez, whilst crude, has won many battles, and sunk a few French war ships. Currently, fifty cannon are being delivered to Liguria to actually cause the siege there to progress.

11805117-75b.jpg

March 22nd, 1764. Liguria still besieged; now there be 69 cannon there. Sultan Muhammad III tires of waiting for these endless sieges. Endless!

11805189-35c.jpg

The siege at Provence be progressing, albeit glacially.

April 2nd, 1764. The United States be off to a difficult start. Mayhap they ought to have waited ten more years.

11805190-205.jpg

September 9th, 1764. Provence has been captured by Fez! But there be many medium fortresses in France. Provence was minimally protected.

January 6th, 1766. France offered what Fez desired. But now, to make France bleed.

11805191-e33.jpg

February 1st, 1766. Christ. This had better not break our siege. In the mean while Fez has hatched a plan involving Ile de France. Fez makes regular sorties to deliver fresh men to France.

11805192-8bf.jpg

February 14th, 1766. Rebels dispatched; an other French lord slain in Lyonnais.

June 15th, 1767. Unbelievably, France itself fell before Liguria did. They are the same size fortress, too. Whatever. Liguria shalt fall some year or other, and then...yes...France shall be the vassal of Fez! They shall bow to Sultan Muhammad III!

11805193-2ee.jpg

July 3rd, 1768. Having lost patience with the situation in Liguria, we have ordered an assault, but that did not finish them off. Perhaps a second assault would help.

Any way, on this day Fez has entered the same "CRT" as France. Helps.

September 10th, 1768. The second assault of Liguria was a success. Behold!

11805499-05c.jpg

This only took seven years. During this period, France lost much of its colonial empire to revolts in locales such as Asia minor and India.

11805501-832.jpg

Note that we are requesting Dakar, which be the coastal province bordering the trade centre of Walata. If we gain that province, we isolate Walata and can move around our many provinces without having to go all the way to Anti Atlas to the north first. Dakar be cheap, unlike Walata.

So what shalt happen? Shalt France accept humiliating defeat, and become a servant of glorious Fez?

Last edited:
I've been lurking for years. Wonderful AAR, it's been fun watching Fez grow from a tiny maghreb backwater into a powerhouse. I'm sure there's still interest, keep it up! It's delicious.

Anyways, good to see France brought to its knees. It's fun to watch anytime when a powerful European state gets humbled by a non-European power, and this especially so due to my dislike of the French in EU2 and Victoria.

I like that America is in Charleston, too!

Lurking is great :D but I am happy that you have announced your presence. The forum really does look like an archive. I haven't even finished the tale of Fez yet, and there be more still to come.

The France thing is just a sort of joke...my original idea was for Fez to conquer Africa, but that's not happening for a few reasons. One is the remoteness of opponents in the near east and east Africa. Another is that Europeans love to colonize random provinces which can be very inconvenient to wrest out. Fortunately there are only a few colonizers. Being competitive in war whilst holding only the African land be challenging.

As our minister of war noted, there is little sense in triumphing over France only to take two poor African provinces. We do not want actual French provinces, either - this isn't a WC by any measure.

For some reason I have in my head the idea that the statistics stop recording after 350 years (FtG had better fix that...), which is 1770. Therefore, a discussion of the royal ledger be in order.

- - -

Well now, ain't that sort of awkward, France!

11833550-403.jpg

Hail Fez!

January 3rd, 1770. You had to see this coming. But since Fez did not take the province from France, we also did not pay 30% for that province. Now there be this enormous trade centre in Liguria, covering most of Fez.

11833551-efe.jpg

France makes about 100 ducats in a month, according to our royal treasurer. Therefore, the true value of humbling France in the way that Fez did be the lifting of the trading embargo on the many trading centres which France controls (800 ducat American one, Liguria, Veneto, Ile de France of course, and until recently the African one Fez declined to take) Let us examine the royal ledger of Fez:

11833552-7f1.jpg

I don't know how much trade revenue Fez will pull in for anno 1770, because we have only just entered the trading centres. France ought to be an ally too, to keep them in line with Fez's interests. First though, I must speak with sultan Muhammad III about our current pointless alliance with Brunei (I never mentioned it existed, indeed, for its pedestrian purpose makes the alliance beneath our interest, as were many others like it).

I don't see why if France makes 1200 ducats a year, Fez did not receive 600 ducats and not 138 ducats, but for some reason the tally for 1769 be incomplete. Thus, the mysterious trade revenue and vassal revenue.

Other details you may be interested in include that inflation still be 26.8 per cent, and that the average monthly income for 1770 be 390 ducats. That makes 4,680 ducats to distribute, just a few hundred more ducats than recorded last year. Finance rarely be an exciting thing.

Fez's adventure be coming to a close soon - I could easily spend the remaining years consolidating the empire, improving Fez's reputation, and generally just sitting on piles of gold and drinking camel milk with mountain ice. But, as surely as France was the aggressor to Fez, there may yet be rousing conflict in our story.

Fez's adventure be coming to a close soon - I could easily spend the remaining years consolidating the empire, improving Fez's reputation, and generally just sitting on piles of gold and drinking camel milk with mountain ice. But, as surely as France was the aggressor to Fez, there may yet be rousing conflict in our story.

What about Spain? Or some islands in the Mediteranean for fun and glory?
Awesome AAR, realy good job there ;).

Bloody French. At least they could have put up some good opposition (except for strong forts).

Can't wait to see how the 19th century will turn out for Fez. Maybe some more of the reknown African glaciers will be acquired?

February 1st, 1766. Christ. This had better not break our siege.

Hath the nameless minister turned Christian? Blasphemy! ;)

I seem to remember reading this a very long time ago but spotting Olav's post made me read it again.

Very enjoyable even if I can't remember how half the gameplay works anymore :rofl:

I appreciate you don't like the approach taken for EU3 - but it's a shame in some ways because the game play is vastly improved.

Hmm...vBulletin seems to have made a mess of things.

Olav: The good minister say an oath unto the false prophet of France; he shouldst break our siege not, and interfere not in the works of our righteous people.

I could not say exactly what direction Fez will go forthwith, but a holy jihad comes anon.

PrawnStar: You admit as much, that EUIII isn't EUII at all -they are different games standing on their own merits. If your thing is EUII, certainly, the "theme" of EUIII is the same, but the game, different. Compare with EU, whereas being a fan of EU means very much you ought to be a bigger fan of EUII, since one is very much the superior of the other. There are a few stylistic and mechanical differences that some people prefer in EU, but few people would say the improvements of EUII do not exceed the unique merits in EU.

Compare also a few games I played: Sim City 2000, and his sequel, Sim City 3000. Totally different. I didn't care for the latter. Caesar II and Caesar III. In most respects Caesar III is more polished and has more depth. But Caesar II works differently, and remains both distinct and enjoyable in its own right, unlike EU and EUII. I like both.

I don't doubt the sophistication, yes, my enjoyment of EUIII, but if I am to go on that tangent, there are other games in the world I could merely enjoy and want to try. So I shall. Since you don't quite remember why things are happening as they are in EUII, you might enjoy a game of it, or it's bastard sibling FtG. Not only would you appreciate the flavour of the game, but you may more accutely appreciate the sophistication of EUIII.

- - -
I am happy to see some interest still. My sad news is that I will most probably not resume until December. I will be back!

Hunter

Don't worry you're still on my subscribed list so when you come back I'll read.

I think I'll give revisiting EU2 a miss though - last time I went back to try it I ended up in Olav's Finland Succession Game AAR :)

I fully accept your point about new 'versions' actually being essentially something different. I still prefer Civ 2 and hugely enjoyed Morrowind while getting bored with Oblivion within hours.