• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
More nice features, HttT is going to feel like a new game :)

I definitely welcome the end of ping-pong, but shouldn't 0-morale units be disbanded rather than destroyed (i.e. the survivors revert to the manpower pool) to distinguish them from battle casualties?

I had thought about a similar feature, yet in my mind's eye it was called "Royal Residence" and would have similar features adding to tax income and pop growth and prestige. You'd be able to pick one or two a year(summer and winter palaces) or focus on one mega-Versailles like palace, and they would be indefinitely upgradeable with some diminishing returns, so you could keep upgrading your palace to have something to spend money on late game.

...Also, units that are caught with zero morale will always surrender, no matter the size of the enemy.
Does this mean:
A. The losing army in a battle will be wiped out (unless it retreats before reaching zero morale)
B. An army that enters a battle with zero morale will be wiped out instantly (or after the requisite 12 days)

I would only add to the above that all unit types should now be of comparably quality to Western ones, as long as they are of a similar tech level. (So that if you succeed in westernizing, you will no longer be stuck with inferior troops.)

tiger-woods-masters-shot-nike_feature.jpg

You flee with your armies at 0 morale?

usually i don't flee , i gain or lose battles :D

one time one of my armies was at something like 1800/4000 retreated on some 1 enemy regiment , i was kinda surprised to see their regiment annihilated and not mine :D

One of the main problems with balancing combat in EU3 has always been the fact that, as technology gets better, weapons cause more and more casualties, meaning that ping-pong and long chases after retreating armies were very common early in the game, while battles turned insanely bloody in the later part of the game. What we have done for Heir to the Throne is to rebalance the entire concept of land combat by introducing a new concept for land battles called "military tactics", which decreases damage taken. This basically corresponds to the same level as the sprites are, and will make the amount of casualties in battles more even throughout the different EU3 eras. Now the outcome of battles between armies at a similar tech level, regardless of the era, are more like those of the early 17th century. Infantry and Artillery now also get a basic fire value from the start. This, together with making battles last for at least 12 days, with 2 rounds of shock and fire each, has made battles far more decisive. Also, units that are caught with zero morale will always surrender, no matter the size of the enemy.

Back to me, your friendly POPE. I would only add to the above that all unit types should now be of comparably quality to Western ones, as long as they are of a similar tech level. (So that if you succeed in westernizing, you will no longer be stuck with inferior troops.) And with that, I bid you farewell.

Until next week, compadres!

The first thing was nice, the second is definitely change I can believe in. I expect this game to keep me occupied until SSFIV.

Back to me, your friendly POPE. I would only add to the above that all unit types should now be of comparably quality to Western ones, as long as they are of a similar tech level. (So that if you succeed in westernizing, you will no longer be stuck with inferior troops.) And with that, I bid you farewell.

The best change ever.:)

So will we be able to change the unit_type of a country by events/decisions? This is still needed even if the groups are balanced for some states like the mughal empire that wants to switch from muslim to indian style units (a lot of those indian units are modelled on the mughal army so it's a bit funny that an ingame created mughal empire will never be able to use them).

Other than this I love all the new changes :D

I checked the last thread but didn't get an answer.

Will the "call to arms" feature be made more like HoI3 and Rome? Or does that remain the same?

Cause I like the way it was handled in Rome a lot better than EU3.

Id really love a Call to Arms too, and it should be a pretty basic feature to throw in.

Ideally, Id like "Fight Alone", "Call on Vassals Only" and "Call of all Allies".

But Im guessing theyre feature-locked at this point. Hopefully its already in, or it wont happen. I admit that overall, Id like a little more control and a little less RNG to my Europa diplomacy overall.

So no more ping pong retreating armies? Now you can actually kill them once and for all?

Every week you read this and think "they can't possibly make it better"...

And then they do...

It's the scariest wonderful I've ever seen. :cool:

T

Sooooo nice.

Is there an ETA? I was planning on starting a sucession game this week. Will HTTT be released by december?

Sooooo nice.

Is there an ETA? I was planning on starting a sucession game this week. Will HTTT be released by december?

I believe the date set is December 15. 2009.

Like everyone else has said, this unit balancing will probably be the best part of HTTT, especially since I almost exclusively play non-latin tech nations.

Sounds like some very promising changes to warfare, particularly the equality of western/westernised units at the same tech. The best part of it though was hearing that you've been playing it and trying out the features - all these things are good on paper, but they need to work together and be balanced. National focus provinces are another nice little touch, too.