• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Looks Great! It's the best preview so far...

Just a couple things I noticed that weren't already discussed...

First, if you read the tooltip for imperial power, it seems that the game now determines sides in a war - in terms of aggressor and defender. This is a big deal for modding!

Second, has anyone speculated what the two crown icons on the far lower right of the screen are for?

EDIT: IT APPEARS THAT ALL OF THE CAPITAL CITIES, NOW HAVE BOTH CROWNS ON THE MAP

Overall things look like they're shaping up very well. I like all the improvements so far. Hopefully heirs and dynasties get some more attention and we get a more detailed sneak peak at them next Dev diary.

Last edited:
Awesomeness in a direct to drive download! Can't wait.

Second, has anyone speculated what the two crown icons on the far lower right of the screen are for?

*gasp* Two new features?

Will the Papal States be more "connected" to the Curia system now? (Since I assume Pope deaths coincide with a Curia member becoming Pope)

I would hope that the availability of cultural advisors are balanced around two key concepts:

1. The prestige/enlightenment/overall advanced nature of the culture itself and;

2. The amount of that culture that your state controls (in terms of territory or population).

Some questions about the screenshots:

Maybe I missed it but ... the 2 crowns under the go-to-capital-province button?
Screenshot #2: Austria has the control of the curia with 3 cardinals, but it seems that hasn't got much chance that the next cardinal will be austrian... Is that a sort of balance? so more cardinals you've got, less chance to gain another? Or if you are the controller you have less chance to gain other cardinals?
Screenshot #3: There's no stability hit for the same religion.... why?
Screenshot #5: Should I expect some negative consequencies for that trade right? (less trade efficiency or less compete chance for example)

I can see it now:

"Due to our superior cultural tradition, we have the best Masters of the Mint in the known world!"

Are there some advisors not tied to tradition, and which are still luck-based?

Yes and no. Advisors can be scripted so they cannot be directly recruited. We have not yet decided whether this will apply to any, but it will allow you to mod them easily enough.

Wait for the next dev diary... :)

Screenshot #2: Austria has the control of the curia with 3 cardinals, but it seems that hasn't got much chance that the next cardinal will be austrian... Is that a sort of balance? so more cardinals you've got, less chance to gain another? Or if you are the controller you have less chance to gain other cardinals?

Nah, it's simply the random starting setup of a new game.

Screenshot #3: There's no stability hit for the same religion.... why?

That remains somewhat in flux. Cannot say more atmo.

Screenshot #5: Should I expect some negative consequencies for that trade right? (less trade efficiency or less compete chance for example)

The trade value of such goods will be lower, but the granter will get more production income from them, to represent the merchant republic paying to get exclusive rights.

The coolest Dev Diary this far!

So much love in those screenshots *sniff*

But there is one thing that still irks me: The name-list for Bohemia. Yes, there were some "great persons" named after cities, it was rather uncommon. Germans don't have many philosophers named "Berlin" except good ol' Isaiah. And even when they were, the proper way for naming was : Name z (from) + genitive of the cityname. Could something be done with that?

So much love in those screenshots *sniff*

But there is one thing that still irks me: The name-list for Bohemia. Yes, there were some "great persons" named after cities, it was rather uncommon. Germans don't have many philosophers named "Berlin" except good ol' Isaiah. And even when they were, the proper way for naming was : Name z (from) + genitive of the cityname. Could something be done with that?
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=396839

Nice to be able to brew our own advisors :p, especially for firing decisions (at least before the expansion); I hope the 'Assassinate Advisor' spy actions becomes more easy -but that is true for the whole spy system in my heart-.

The HRE and the Curia seem now a lot more developed and interesting, I look forward to see the role of HRE in MP, where humans could deliberately try to lower your Imperial Authority; not having to micromanage the bribing of cardinals is particularly good imo, I never liked micro races.

It seems also that the number of potential decisions to fire increased a lot, with cultural ones, hre-related ones, etc., but if you ask me, decisions were the best new feature from IN after Rebels with Cause.

I'm also interested to see how Merchant Republics will manage, with so many new options (I suppose that being the best trading nation will be a sub-war where you can easily spot the winner anytime :D)

The new curia system seems really nice, and if more influence is given to the paple controler it would be even better.
The trade rights thing look very very cool, combined with the new trade leauge feature it will make being a trading nation really interesting and maybe take some of the focus away from war in the game...HRE stuff looks good, bit like magna mundi :)

I have a question about the advisor system though: Will random advisors still be born in your provinses or is the only way to get advisors to use cultural tradition now? I think It would be a bit sad if it only relied on tradition like with generals, as it kinda rules out the odd chance of some geniues being born...

I love the last screenshot! :D
The other things are nice as well of course. But this one seems very important for the world outside of europe as well ;-)
That is unless you can define multiple empires (I see you can devise your own decisions for the HRE atleast)...
Also it would be nice to know if trade rights could also be given by event, if they are possible to affect from the scenario start (a huuuuge deal for the later starts on the indian continent),

I also hope for a trigger that checks for _how long_ you've been employing the same advisor (this would allow you to tie in certain benefits like the advisor events we already have as well as create a bigger reason not to change the advisors you allready have in events that wants you to fire them even if you can recruit someone else that's equaly good...

Another question is if we can make other triggers, such as sliders, also influence how good new advisors of certain types are. For instance, say I'm a very narrowwinded country (in general I would expect this to lower tradition), would I get better religious advisors?

Last edited:

The Arrow is the good-old same "find province" button, the first crown is your "go-to-capital-province" button, and the second is the go-to-overlords-capital-province" button. That would explain why Sweden has one, and Bohemia hat it grey out.

Or it could be the capital of the Holy Roman Empire. which would make game-wise more likely, but then agian, it's not a Imperial Crown.