• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Showing developer posts only. Show all posts in this thread.

Doomdark

Chief Creative Officer
Paradox Staff
61 Badges
Apr 3, 2000
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Semper Fi
  • Sengoku
  • Ship Simulator Extremes
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Starvoid
  • Teleglitch: Die More Edition
  • The Showdown Effect
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • Warlock: Master of the Arcane
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • War of the Roses
  • Prison Architect
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Dungeonland
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
In these days of Dawkins, Dennet and Flying Spaghetti Monsters, it is sometimes hard to remember an age before there were "Brights" and everyone was dim; when there was no "Talk like a Pirate Day" because people spoke that way all year round... the long centuries when people went to church and the Church went wherever a certain arthritic - but very holy - finger pointed; the finger of that fellow in the funny hat whose current incarnation looks a lot like Emperor Palpatine. Of course, at Paradox we still remember, and in Heir to the Throne we are giving the Pontiff of Rome his due by revising the whole Curia system. While bribery and cynical manipulation of organized religions sounds like fun in theory, the Holy See was a feature that did not see much use in EU3. Thus, you can no longer bribe cardinals. Instead, every Catholic country has an amount of Papal Influence that increases the chance of getting a cardinal elected in the first place. This reduces micromanagement while still allowing players to attain control of the Papacy by choosing the right national ideas, being narrowminded, maintaining good relations with the Papal State, etc.

Speaking of unpolished features, another aspect of the game we were never quite happy with - but for much the opposite reason - is the advisor system. It lacks interactivity. That's why we added a shiny new window where you can play God by creating an advisor of a specific type out of nothing. Well, nothing plus a certain amount of army, navy or cultural tradition. Cultural tradition is a new concept intended to reward players for playing the game in a civilized manner (i.e. not throwing tantrums or reloading when things turn sour.) Like with admirals and generals, the quality of the advisor is dependent on how much tradition you have at the time. (The hopefully Great Man will then be available for hire, as normal, in the advisor view.) Also to be found in the new window is another type of decision; cultural decisions. These are mostly intended to increase your cultural tradition by patronizing the arts. (I also like to patronize the arts, but my way does not cost money...)

Hmm, I believe that will do for today; here are the requisite screenshots!

Attachments

• CulturalView.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 7.874
  • Curia.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 6.844
  • DoW.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 6.484
  • HREView.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 6.855
  • Trade Rights.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 7.404
Do the bonuses of the "Reconquest" CB apply if you're fighting another type of war? For example, if you declare war on a country with the "trade wars" casus belli, can you still take your core provinces for 0 infamy?

no. if you fight for trade wars you have other goals.

I can see it now:

"Due to our superior cultural tradition, we have the best Masters of the Mint in the known world!"

Are there some advisors not tied to tradition, and which are still luck-based?

Yes and no. Advisors can be scripted so they cannot be directly recruited. We have not yet decided whether this will apply to any, but it will allow you to mod them easily enough.

Some questions about the screenshots:

Maybe I missed it but ... the 2 crowns under the go-to-capital-province button?

Wait for the next dev diary... :)

Screenshot #2: Austria has the control of the curia with 3 cardinals, but it seems that hasn't got much chance that the next cardinal will be austrian... Is that a sort of balance? so more cardinals you've got, less chance to gain another? Or if you are the controller you have less chance to gain other cardinals?

Nah, it's simply the random starting setup of a new game.

Screenshot #3: There's no stability hit for the same religion.... why?

That remains somewhat in flux. Cannot say more atmo.

Screenshot #5: Should I expect some negative consequencies for that trade right? (less trade efficiency or less compete chance for example)

The trade value of such goods will be lower, but the granter will get more production income from them, to represent the merchant republic paying to get exclusive rights.

I love the last screenshot! :D
The other things are nice as well of course. But this one seems very important for the world outside of europe as well ;-)
That is unless you can define multiple empires (I see you can devise your own decisions for the HRE atleast)...
Also it would be nice to know if trade rights could also be given by event, if they are possible to affect from the scenario start (a huuuuge deal for the later starts on the indian continent),

I also hope for a trigger that checks for _how long_ you've been employing the same advisor (this would allow you to tie in certain benefits like the advisor events we already have as well as create a bigger reason not to change the advisors you allready have in events that wants you to fire them even if you can recruit someone else that's equaly good...

Another question is if we can make other triggers, such as sliders, also influence how good new advisors of certain types are. For instance, say I'm a very narrowwinded country (in general I would expect this to lower tradition), would I get better religious advisors?

Last edited:
I have a question about the advisor system though: Will random advisors still be born in your provinses or is the only way to get advisors to use cultural tradition now? I think It would be a bit sad if it only relied on tradition like with generals, as it kinda rules out the odd chance of some geniues being born...

Advisors will still be born as before.

I'm not a fan of tying actual game mechanics to save/reload. That just seems kinda lame. If people want to do that, let them, don't force their hands. I bet most major mods will get rid of this fast unless it's hardcoded, and if it is there will be so much griping people will think this is the Majesty 2 forum.

Hehe, I think it's time to turn that irony detector on. Cultural Tradition is gained by making cultural decisions, building the right type of buildings, etc.