• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yeah you mean something like having a reinforcement and recruitment time bonus while gaining a morale and territorial pride (defense on core) boost? All tied to the amount of brigade the Red Army has on a daily basis?

In DI:G I faced a Soviet Army that was almost destroyed in the first few weeks of Barbarossa and then it started building infantry divisions in 8 days and armored divisions in 21 while their morale and reinforcement were almost instantly regained with all those fresh troops. If the winter and the mud didn't hit me so hard I could have resist more but I didn't refit the russian railways in time and that killed my (newbie) Barbarossa organization. ^^

I don't know how you will feel it, but I really enjoyed making (and seeing) this happen.

I would feel GREAT!!!!!!! Let's face it the that was the real epic land fight of the war. And it should feel epic. Win or lose it has to be a struggle. As said here and many other posts I like what ICE has tried to do. Yes come winter without clothes or railways my whole army was reduced to a shell. But the only time that ever happened was when I held back and didn't play to win during the summer.

This is VERY nice. One MAJOR reason why I play this game is the immersion factor. Love the detail. Can you explain the way the AWARDS GUI works. Is it tied to experience?

Medals are tied to xp. Therefore you can have a highly decorated veteran degrading to a young inexperienced guy and thereby losing his medals. The soldier image is so to speak a representation of the average soldier of the brigade.

wow wow wow!

That looks an brilliant improvement on HoI3 interface and immersion!

Question:
1) Will airplanes and ships have the same 'experience' representation?
2) There is more events/decision/(something else you may have added :D) for Germany during WW2 or is this a more eye-candy mod?

#2 has been answered by Devildread, but at #1: In order to get the most out of the system, land units will gain medals and worn face/dirty clothes with xp, naval units will gain medals and changes to the face, and air units gain medals and get fancier uniforms. :)

You are busy little fellow, danevang ! :)

Looks very good !

Yup, I'm a busy little bee. :D Bzzzzzz...

I would feel GREAT!!!!!!! Let's face it the that was the real epic land fight of the war. And it should feel epic. Win or lose it has to be a struggle. As said here and many other posts I like what ICE has tried to do. Yes come winter without clothes or railways my whole army was reduced to a shell. But the only time that ever happened was when I held back and didn't play to win during the summer.

I think this is the challenge of the Soviet Union. Ideally, in a best case scenario for gameplay, I think the war should last at least a year before a decisive outcome has been achieved. Practically, though, I think it is hard to make the Soviets challenging while still making it possible to win. In other words, if the full force of the Soviet Union comes into play, it gets hard to see a reasonable way for Germany to win.

I would love to suffer on the Eastern front. That would be wonderful if you can achieve that where a real long, grinding war was possible, but yet it was still reasonable for Germany to win with the proper planning, preparation, etc.

Medals are tied to xp. Therefore you can have a highly decorated veteran degrading to a young inexperienced guy and thereby losing his medals. The soldier image is so to speak a representation of the average soldier of the brigade.

Is there any way we could get an indication of highly experienced units on the map? For Barbarossa, I'll have large numbers of infantry corps: many are meant for reserve action, holding the line, etc -- while others are my elite fighting units that I've been taking care of and I need for urban assaults, etc. It is a real pain to easily identify them and keep track of them, especially with so many units when they all have the exact same infantry counter. This problem obviously gets worse over time.

Something simple: perhaps a slightly different infantry counter when the units have more than 50% experience? Or, if the general's rank is 4 or better? Alternatively, give the player some option to label or highlight a unit (e.g. when the player checks a box for a group of units, their counter takes on a different color).

I know it can sound rude, but I consider curent state of model pictures in HOI III , from estetic/immersion point of view,is simply a criminal,especialy for game of such deepnes and reputation,and especialy it is the chapter that is solvable realeatively easy.

I welcome first official atempt to make HOI III unit pictures and thus game appearance in general more beautifull.

I realy think HOI III designers so far had serrious problem with perception of estetic balance and understanding of its importance as well as importance of immersion.
This DLC is thus much needed effort in right direction.

Last edited:
so this is why you wouldn't release your unfinished work..eehh!!..lol

what is the eta on release date??

will the DLC "secret weapons" be part of this or is that separate? (and whats the eta on that?)

so this is why you wouldn't release your unfinished work..eehh!!..lol

what is the eta on release date??

will the DLC "secret weapons" be part of this or is that separate? (and whats the eta on that?)

Devildread indicated that it is a few weeks away.

I'm guessing a full GC. The 1944 scenario would give you just enough time to watch your green soldiers turn yellow.

Props to Danevang and Devildread, I love the updated UI. Might be the first DLC I buy as well. Questions:

1. Will historical play take precedence over sand box play as is the case with ICE?
2. What Karl Melton said: will the FtM features be included?

Looking forward to the next DD.

Yeah you mean something like having a reinforcement and recruitment time bonus while gaining a morale and territorial pride (defense on core) boost? All tied to the amount of brigade the Red Army has on a daily basis?

In DI:G I faced a Soviet Army that was almost destroyed in the first few weeks of Barbarossa and then it started building infantry divisions in 8 days and armored divisions in 21 while their morale and reinforcement were almost instantly regained with all those fresh troops. If the winter and the mud didn't hit me so hard I could have resist more but I didn't refit the russian railways in time and that killed my (newbie) Barbarossa organization. ^^

I don't know how you will feel it, but I really enjoyed making (and seeing) this happen.

Unless the build times are reduced, the railroad situation or the mud/winter slows the advance to Moscow/Leningrad, just building more infantry wont be the solution. It will never be completed in time before the main areas are under a firm grip. Now, obviously I've yet to play the DLC, so I'm giving you the benefit of a doubt. Edit: Historically, the counterattack at Moscow was done with Siberian troops. Scripting them even a part of the ~40 divisions brought from the east could help tremendously.

That's what I'm worried about. That I'll have to stall for their army to be replenished. That just leaves me feeling cheated. As you said: Done right, I'll gladly pay whatever they're asking.

I know it can sound rude, but I consider curent state of model pictures in HOI III , from astetic/immersion point of view,is simply a criminal,especialy for game of such deepnes and reputation,and especialy it is the chapter that is solvable realeatively easy.

I welcome first official atempt to make HOI III unit pictures and thus game appearance in general more beautifull.

I realy think HOI III designers so far had serrious problem with perception of aestetic balance and understanding of its importance as well as importance of immersion.
This DLC is thus much needed effort in right direction.

I couldn't agree more.

So I take it this will not be possible to play in Multiplayer? :(

I've never played multiplayer HOI, but for all those that do, it would be nice if the majors DI DLCs would be compatible with each other. Probably not though, changing the map etc may kill that idea.

It looks great, very promising. As another poster wrote is this just for the 44 scenario or could you start a game in the 36 scenario?

Pretty sure some of the screenshots are of the '36 scenario.

yeah I just noticed that after looking at the pictures again.

Does anyone know if the units will have historical names and not generic names? I hated playing as Germany and having to rename every unit that I had built.

i like the militia brigade pic, very nice.

Will this dlc include all the new features of FTM when the expansion is released?

The plan is that it will also be compatible with FTM when that comes out. :)

so...is this a 1944 scenario remake...?

No, it's designed for the 1936 grand campaign.

I'm guessing a full GC. The 1944 scenario would give you just enough time to watch your green soldiers turn yellow.

Props to Danevang and Devildread, I love the updated UI. Might be the first DLC I buy as well. Questions:

1. Will historical play take precedence over sand box play as is the case with ICE?
2. What Karl Melton said: will the FtM features be included?

Looking forward to the next DD.

We really should wait with revealing game mechanics and such until next dev diary. :) All I can say is that you'll have to make decisions that will really matter as the game progresses.

Small thing, but will you fix regiment names (no 1st Inf. Brigade but rather Infantrie-Regiment 1)?