• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fun though. I know you the GH and not Russia, but really this is really similar to my Russian games in that regard.

Ulugh and the Kaliph singing together:

"If I’m a rainbow, then you’re the sun
Shining all my lovely colors on everyone
If I’m a paper, you’re the pen
You bring out the best in me, you’re my best friend"

Duke of Wellington said:
Techwise? I really hope I can catch up soon it is not fun seeing defeat after defeat against stupidly small armies :(

I actually do find it fun to play backward tech however. The game stays challenging an interesting for that much longer. Though I agree it is frustrating at times (the most extreme version of this was a game as Russia (actually my first AAR - it's in the depths of the fora now) where at one time the OE hand landtech 21 and I was landtech 9).

GrimPagan - Ulugh and Suleyman up a tree
A - L - L -Y - I - N - G
First comes love then comes vassalage .....

Nobegow - Thanks, I'm really going to have to strike at them this time

stnylan - It makes me a little more nervous but I agree its definitely more intersting not being able to walk all over the enemy and really having to think about the war.

jwolf - Thanks :)

Very good update :). I liked the screenies, the writing, the description of Kairwan's attack on the forces beseiging Jedisan and the map of the battle, the peace deal....I liked it all :D

BB shouldnt matter for the Khans! Annex all that oppose you!

I think it's cute! You had your little lover's quarrel with the Ottomans, and now you can go take her to a movie or something!

:grin: Good work! Glad to see the Horde's still thriving

2-header.jpg
Ulugh II's Reign : Part 8

1543 began in routine fashion.
231-hordelife.jpg
No reason given, none needed​

Ulugh was back in a slightly uneasy alliance with the Ottomans. Less than six months ago they had been fighting but the tiff was over now. Still though he felt unsatisfied. He needed to test the strength of the bond and something to take attention away from the squabble. What better way than a good old fashioned war?

Only one potential opponent seemed suitable for the task, the Poles. Word about the upcoming war began to leak out in September. Many were not happy with the possiblity of a conflict they saw no reason for. The risk of revolt increased throughout the land.

This increased the urgency for war. Poland would no doubt know now of Ulugh's plan. In October war was declared. The call to war was honoured by the Ottomans but not Sibir or Shirvan. Brandenburg and Prussia both decided to take the cowardly route and not face the might of the Horde and the Turks.

232-thestart.jpg
Ulugh and Kairwan begin the invasion​

The invasion was very successful. Poland's demoralised troops were taken by surprise unused to the swiftness of the Horde. All twenty thousand facing Ulugh were killed or routed. Kairwan of course met with similar success against a much smaller army.
233-theaftermath.jpg
The aftermath of a couple of days fighting​

It was a major blow to Poland's military as over a third of their total forces were destroyed.

Winter though soon arrived in full force. Ulugh was left with no choice but to retreat back to more welcoming lands until the snow melted.
234-waitingforsummer.jpg
The Horde lounge around waiting for summer to return to Ukraine​

The time for the war to begin again came in March. Ulugh organised several sieges to overwhelm the Poles. The Ottomans too invaded. Things were looking bad for Poland.
235-layingsiegeallalong.jpg
Blitzkrieg​

Battles were only small and one sided, the Horde annihilated all opposition. Towards the end of the year the Polish forts began to fall. First Podolia then the Ottomans took Galizien. Mozyr was captured in late November.

Ulugh took ill while laying siege to Chernigov. He was overcome with pain and coughed blood constantly. For the month of December he was confined to his bed until late one night as a winter storm raged about him he was freed from his suffering.
deathbed.jpg
Ulugh on his deathbed, even locals dressed as gremlins failed to raise a smile​

Ulugh's passing was mourned by most but the state funeral was only a modest one. All resources were going into the war in order to keep Poland truly on her back foot.

The throne of the Horde passed with only minor dispute to Ulugh's second oldest son, the smooth talking Gonturkmen. He had managed to gain support for his cause from the army and the Ottomans over his older brother Batu.
236-thenewkhan.jpg

The new Khan of the Golden Horde, crowned in 1545

what a contrast after fighting the Ottomans, and he looks an ok monarch. Good DIP to work on that BB, which it looks like you are just about to raise yet further.

That seems to be a good strategy with the Turks: find somebody you both hate even more than each other! :p Is there specific Polish territory you're trying to take, or is this a war on general principles just to beat them up and show what the Horde can do?

How about Persia and the Middle East? Any room for common conquests with the Ottomans there?

It is about to become one of the recorded istances of aerial spying in history as it launches two men overhead who will make high resolution sketches of the defences from a birds eye perspective
:rofl:

Polen? What about Russia, the constant red torn in the wasteness of yellow? Althought Polen probably have some more profitable provinces.

2-header.jpg
Gonturkmen's Reign : Part 1

Like many before him Gonturkmen inherited a war. This war though was going all so well. All that seemed to remain was for Gonturkmen to decide upon what to take. He met with advisors at his estate in Astrakhan on the shores of the Caspian. His advisors were clear on the goals for the war. Provinces should not be taken. None were valuable enough to be worthwhile. Their advice was that since the war was going so exceedingly well why not aim for a big prize, vassalisation of Poland.

Gonturkmen was pleased with the idea and everything continued to go the Hordes way in the war. The end of the war was in sight and vassalisation looked inevitable.

Kairwan suceeded in taking Chernigov, another army captured Wielkopolska and the Ottomans were close to breaking the walls of Krakow.
237-thewholewar.jpg

Poland deep in the proverbial brown stuff

Krakow fell in June. Good news too from within the Horde, at last Sadrinsk was converted to Islam. The good news just kept coming for the rest of 1545. Kursk was captured in September after a long hard siege.

Gonturkmen was unlike many Khans before him. While he had an interest in warfare he preferred to watch from a distance and let those who knew better run things. During the Polish war he spent much time studying the history of the Horde. He discovered that in the past the Horde had undertaken several successful financial initiatives involving banks. He studied the records for sometime and in late September replicated the earlier institutions with similar success.
141-bank.jpg

Damn I love this event, ohhh yes

Gonturkmen was not stupid though, he knew the success was down to more than his own efforts. He sent thanks to Allah for his blessing by sending a missionary to Poltava to convert the heathens.

Back in the Polish war success was met with more success. Poznan was taken in December and Podlasia in March.

In April the Ottomans showed that the relationship with the Horde was still a little uneasy. They made peace with Poland for the Province of Galizien. The Horde was alone in this fight but it should prove no problem. The only inconvenience was that Krakow would have to be taken once more.

OOC : In May land tech 5 was finally achieved. At approximately the same time Poland reached land tech 9.

As the winter of 1546 arrived and the war quietened down Gonturkmen met with his generals to discuss the war. All his generals were confident. Around half of Poland was under Horde control and their armies were few. Within a year they claimed Poland would be in complete submission to the Horde. Little did they know that Poland was about to step up, pick up the brown stuff it was wallowing in and throw it all over the Horde's fan.

Over the winter Poland had laid siege to Wielkopolska. The brave Tatar defenders though had held out easily. Nonetheless Kairwan took it upon himself to come to their aid. But unusually for the brilliant general his attack was repulsed. In an unprecedented move his second attempt too was defeated. His confidence broken the third attack was doomed to as miserable fate as its predecessors.
238-thirddefeat.jpg
Kairwan retreats after losing three battles in row much to the dismay of the defenders of Wielkopolska​

Eventually Wielkopolska was captured by Poland in March. Quickly though Kairwan returned to lay siege once more.
239-resiegeandgalivien.jpg
Wielkopolska under siege once more. Galizien now belongs to the Ottomans​

Wielkopolska, its walls weakened after so many sieges was captured relatively quickly by Kairwan after only four months.

The war effort was now drawing large amounts of men into it. Opposition to the war went up significantly and peasants led revolts all across the nation in October.
240-arggh.jpg
I hate this event​

The rebels were poorly organised though and their armies and leadership were beheaded within months. They would not rise again in the near future.

The war was now going poorly. Late 1547 and 1548 were marked by numerous losses to Poland and very few victories. The only high point was that Olonets was finally converted to the true religion in August.

The sorry turn of events continued into 1549. First Hinterpommern which had been captured a year and a half earlier was lost to a rebel army and days later Poland took back Wielkopolska. All attempts at capturing Krakow were stopped by attacks from much smaller Polish armies.
241-siges.jpg
The war in mid 1549​

Tragedy struck in September. Kairwan passed away suddenly. The great leader who had led the Horde's armies to so many victories fell in the end to nothing more than pneumonia. His death was mourned by all across the land. Over the years his deeds had become legendary and his name household.
pb509_l.jpg
Kairwan as depicted in the collectable action figure created posthumously​

If the previous years were a turning of the tide of the war then in 1550 it became a tsunami. Loss after loss on the battlefield. It seemed as if the hooves of the Horde's horses were shod with glue, they just could not function properly. In quick succession the four provinces of Podlasia, Poznan, Mozyr and Masovia were lost.

At last the Generals realised the futilty of the war. They met with Gonturkmen and advised him to quit now while he was ahead. Gonturkmen seeing the terrible losses did not hesitate. He made peace with Poland for only 50 ducats. A terrible reward considering the cost of the war.

In all my years playing this game I have never ever been defeated so badly in a war. The combination of the CRT advantage Poland had plus the loss of cavalry shock that comes with LT 5 were too much. I had not realised how significant the loss in shock was. At one stage armies of 12K cavalry at full morale were losing to new recruits that were created in the province they were besieging, I have never seen that before. This war was horrible it all went so well, at one stage I had +72 WS but by the end it was down to +15. I never wanted provinces though in this war the BB would have been too much, it was vassalisation or nothing. I got nothing :(