• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Soviets are in real trouble.

How did Germany get so many men to sacrifice anyway? Conscripting from the (re)conquered territories?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Finally got onboard and caught up over the last several days, courtesy of your nod for the Spotlight!

Always kinda staggered by the HoI2/DH ploys of so much in the way of numbers. Just ridiculous to me, but that's coming from my position as a HoI3 guy. Not surprised by the general dart-at-the-dartboard system of AI targeting.

• 1Like
Reactions:
No worries... well, ok, I checked the forum for updates daily... but no pressure *grin
Heart wants what the heart wants, but one regrettably needs to do stuff other than ripping the Soviets apart most of the time... more's the pity.

The Soviets are in real trouble.

How did Germany get so many men to sacrifice anyway? Conscripting from the (re)conquered territories?
To be perfectly honest, the German casualties are extremely limited all things considered. Most of the new formations are either from the old, disbanded ones, or due to the slow daily manpower trickle of about 700 men on average. I did get some additional recruitment from my brief overlording stints in Italy, England and Spain, but they are now producing their own units that I'm gladly using instead of my own wherever I can.

Finally got onboard and caught up over the last several days, courtesy of your nod for the Spotlight!

Always kinda staggered by the HoI2/DH ploys of so much in the way of numbers. Just ridiculous to me, but that's coming from my position as a HoI3 guy. Not surprised by the general dart-at-the-dartboard system of AI targeting.
Glad to have you! I suppose the issue is the fact that the AI can't really look beyond the tactical picture. It sees that it likely cannot win the immediate battle, so it decides not to attack, despite the position being completely untenable if they only tried meatgrinding for some time. Hoi3 mostly bypasses such situations by having smaller provinces with the supply and combat width systems respectively, but I've also seen a similar approach performed in the Götterdammerung scenario, so it isn't impossible. A good example are MarcoAntonio's videos on youtube, can recommend in the unlikely case you haven't watched them already.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Yeah, you don't owe anyone here anything. You are the one providing us with entertainment for no charge. Besides, the Soviets appear to be in need of a big break.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
No need to apologize for taking your time. Your AAR is worth the wait. I've enjoyed reading every bit of it and look forward to more!

God bless!

Wald
Thank you kindly! More is hopefully going to be posted soon.

Yeah, you don't owe anyone here anything. You are the one providing us with entertainment for no charge. Besides, the Soviets appear to be in need of a big break.
I do aim to please somewhat, but you are of course right. The Soviets will get the trashing either way

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter XVIIId

With the offensive continuing in leaps and bounds, something not even the most optimistic officers of the Wehrmacht could have predicted, a risk of overextending the army rears its ugly head once more. An example of that is Travnik, where the enveloped Soviets are mounting a counterattack against the English expeditionaries.

travnik under atk.png

In response, another assault on Zagreb is authorized, to try and finally dislodge the determined defenders under Chuikov. Still, the forces required for a decisive victory cannot exactly be levied at the moment so the result of the battle lies in the hand of the creative German officers on the front.

attack zagreb2.png

Another English expeditionary army has reached northern Serbia and launched an attack on the disorganized divisions in Petrovgrad.

petrovgrad atk.png

A lone Italian armored division reaches Mostar, and with that, the encirclement of the Soviet forces in Croatia is completed. Regrettably, the encirclement will likely be only transient, as the forces required to hold it won't be available, in the likely case that the defenders in Travnik are forced to retreat.

encircled but strenuous.png

To try and capitalize on the situation, a renewed Italian assault on Karlovac begins, with the majority of the forces having migrated to defend Zagreb and attack from Bihac. The remainder under Shaposhnikov is rather disorganized too.

karlovac again.png

As the news of a resounding English victory in Petrovgrad arrives, the Portuguese are unleashed on token forces manning Ljubljana, soon to be renamed Laibach once more.

ljubljana attack.png

As expected, the defense of Travnik proves to be untenable, and the battered Axis divisions retreat back to Banja Luka. This leaves the Italian armor in Mostar in a rather acute danger of being destroyed, so they are instructed to hit the legs (or tracks) towards Tuzla.

travnik loss.png

Even a brief engagement with the Reds doesn't stop the Italians in their hasty retreat. The risk of getting overrun exists, but as the distance to Sarajevo is lesser for them than the troops from Sabac, as well as a fortunate placement of the local river lines, it is deemed acceptable. Quite frankly, it is the only option.

saving the italian tank.png

Yet another attack on Zagreb ends in failure, as the Soviets levy enough divisions to its defense. Zagreb is slowly turning into a Stalingrad-like meatgrinder, where the street fighting has the tired Germans out of their depth.

zagreb loss.png

Meanwhile, the eastern push resumes, with Hausser's panzer army reaching the gates of Crimea, threatening to cut everyone and everything to the west off from the supply line stemming from the Soviet capital.

hausser almost reaches crimea.png

An attack into the marshes of Ruma is hastily organized to try and prevent the Soviets from exploiting the gap in our lines in Tuzla, which could prove fatal for the ambitious Italian tank crews. Italian aggression is not to be discouraged, as the OKW is quite pleased with the elevated utility of the Italian troops encountered during the recent years, as opposed to the distant years of early war.

ruma attack.png

As it turns out, Social Italy gets to keep her only armored division for now, as it reaches the relative safety of Tuzla.

ita arm saved.png

Infantry advance into the Carpathians continues at a snail's pace, swatting token resistance by the Soviets away left and right.

win chust.png

On the contrary, a rather stiff resistance in Serbia didn't prevent a fairly rapid advance by the Axis coalition troops, threatening to take Belgrade.

ruma win.png

A Spanish foray into maritime buildup is culled in its infancy, with the lone submarine flotilla meeting its doom in port, having been exposed to the wrath of American naval bombers. At least they aren't building battleships, and that gives Dönitz some peace of mind.

spanish subs wiped as soon as deployed.png

After replenishment and reorganization, the Romanian cavalry in Travnik is forced to rout, with the English returning in force.

travnik win.png

Felmarschall Hoth reaches the Romanian capital with his armored horde, opposed by token forces. Another former ally is soon to be liberated from their communist overlords. More importantly, their oil fields will once more produce for the Reich.

hoth in bucharest.png

The Soviet efforts to form some semblance of a frontline in Stryj are rapidly frustrated with trivial ease. Not like a frontline is possible at present, considering the sheer number of German infantry divisions currently advancing all along the front.

win stryj.png

Welcome news of victory reached the OKW from both Bucharest and Travnik. The Axis push in the Balkans starts to look quite unstoppable since the only Soviet forces capable of mounting proper defense are currently pinned in Croatia.

travnik and buch.png

As certain as the break of dawn, another infantry assault is ordered on Zagreb. This time around, it may actually work, considering the number of divisions peeled off to help defend Karlovac. Additionally, some quality Spaniards are asked to help the assault from Ljubljana, as well as the paratroopers from Banja Luka.

atk zagreb.png

With the mounting pressure, the Soviets decide that Karlovac will not be the hill they choose to die on, so a general retreat is sounded. On the flip side, the temporary encirclement is indeed broken with the arrival of Soviet troops to Mostar.

karlovac win but unencircled.png

Flemish infantry continues to march against overwhelming odds through the hardly ideal terrain of western Romania, inflicting heavy casualties in the process. The OKW is pleasantly surprised, having almost forgotten about the small corps' existence after the initial orders were given.

resita w.png

With the arrival of Hoth's panzers to Bucharest, the Romanian flag is torn down, and the Soviet puppet ceases to exist.

annex romania.png

That also means that the entirety of the Balkan peninsula is now cut off from Soviet supplies, forcing the small Bulgarian economy to supply the entirety of the forces trapped.

balkan cut off.png

Finally, the attack on the former Croatian capital succeeds, and the Soviet defenders are forced to retreat. This series of battles is used as proof in the German military academies that nothing can stop a determined infantry assault, as long as enough waves are sent!

finally.png

Simultaneously, the English launch an attack to try and retake Mostar, in an effort to stop the Soviet retreat from the envelopment. They don't have much further to retreat to anyway, so it's just an attempt to cut their misery short.

we're back.png

More and more rapidly formed and half-trained infantry divisions start to decorate the eastern frontline and its gaping holes. The race to Moscow is on.

race to moscow.png

Indeed, the English quickly dispatch the Soviets in Mostar, only symbolic resistance having been encountered.

win mostar.png

As Air Marshall Keller orders an interception above Berlin, one question is on everyone's mind: how the hell do the Soviet planes with a maximum range a little north of 500 km manage to fly over 1000 km from the nearest friendly airbase? Their combat performance notwithstanding, of course.

how.png

Some of the freshly deployed units, likely from the eastern swathes of the USSR, get encircled in the Belarussian marshes.

encirclement pinsk.png

A French expeditionary fighter wing is destroyed on the ground in Zagreb, their combat contribution being nonexistent thus far.

french planes in zagreb.png

Any semblance of organized Soviet resistance is lost as the entirety of the Croatian frontline descends into a chaotic retreat, low on both supplies and morale.

bihac w.png

A similar scenario is unfolding in Belgrade, where the Axis coalition troops manage to wrestle a victory in the ruins of Belgrade, though the price in lives had been steep.

belgrade w.png

The Balkan front seems to be almost decided by now. The Soviet military capabilities are slowly being rebuilt, but too little and too slowly to stem the tide of Wehrmacht formations advancing all along the continental frontline. With the retrieval of Romanian oil production and the almost certain destruction of the remainder of the Soviet pre-operation troops, the final victory seems to be closer than ever before. The odds are, rapidly armed and fielded rabble will not be able to pose a threat to the crack veterans of the Wehrmacht soon to tread all over the irradiated rubble of the biggest Soviet cities this side of the Urals.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Why were the Soviets so much more successful in the Balkans than in their actual territory? Why did they not withdraw some of those soldiers defending Zaghreb to defend Russia?

Congrats on advancing towards Moscow!

• 2Like
Reactions:
The race to Moscow is on.
Due to the rapid advance of the Wehrmacht surely many strat-deployed Red Army units couldn't reach their target regions and got default-redeployed towards the capital. I wonder wether thus one of those Red Army skyscraper stacks is building up there.

Rolexovsky, I keep on saying it but it still needs to be said, splendidly narrated and beautifully illustrated! It must take ages to take all the images, to cut them into the right size, to sort them correctly to finally hit the "post"-button to give us another chapter. Thanks a lot.

I wanted to ask for it but then realized the information is already given, a comparison of Red Army forces and IC of USSR before the start of the offense and as of now. So, for the other lazy ones with short memory:
USSR_1947-1952 comparison.png

Even with all the nukes and encirclements it is difficult to believe that the USSR really lost 635 land units. But I could imagine that the intel report from 1952 is less accurate due to probably a lot of strat-deploys.
And I still remember an old former Wehrmacht soldier telling how he entered with his unit another conquered East-Ukrainian village, filled with victorious euphoria and thinking the Red Army beaten, when an old woman mustered him, vanished into her house to come back with a map and showing this soldier the size of the USSR and where he and his units where located at the moment. He described it as... "very sobering".

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions:
Why were the Soviets so much more successful in the Balkans than in their actual territory? Why did they not withdraw some of those soldiers defending Zaghreb to defend Russia?

Congrats on advancing towards Moscow!
Probably because the Balkan front didn't receive any nukes other than the initial one in Capodistria, as well as mostly being manned by my puppet units. They didn't suffer any major encirclements or losses of strength, so they could mount some serious resistance. I would assume some got redeployed and are in transit, but they didn't redeploy the majority due to the constant pressure they were put under, since I never ceased to attack, and the AI will prioritize trying to defend locally before trying to redeploy en masse. To its credit, it mostly doesn't redeploy out of encirclements to be formed either. Thanks for the kind words!

Due to the rapid advance of the Wehrmacht surely many strat-deployed Red Army units couldn't reach their target regions and got default-redeployed towards the capital. I wonder wether thus one of those Red Army skyscraper stacks is building up there.

Rolexovsky, I keep on saying it but it still needs to be said, splendidly narrated and beautifully illustrated! It must take ages to take all the images, to cut them into the right size, to sort them correctly to finally hit the "post"-button to give us another chapter. Thanks a lot.

I wanted to ask for it but then realized the information is already given, a comparison of Red Army forces and IC of USSR before the start of the offense and as of now. So, for the other lazy ones with short memory:
View attachment 1047584
Even with all the nukes and encirclements it is difficult to believe that the USSR really lost 635 land units. But I could imagine that the intel report from 1952 is less accurate due to probably a lot of strat-deploys.
And I still remember an old former Wehrmacht soldier telling how he entered with his unit another conquered East-Ukrainian village, filled with victorious euphoria and thinking the Red Army beaten, when an old women mustered him, vanished into her house to come back with a map and showing this soldier the size of the USSR and where he and his units where located at the moment. He described it as... "very sobering".

Thank you for being an attentive reader! (And doing what I probably should try to portray more clearly lol)
Regarding the time required, while I'm not one for false modesty, actually playing is what takes me the most time, as I'm quite well-organized when it comes to storing and pulling images (professional deformation), so it takes less time than one would think. The maim constrain is the lack of time to actually *sit down and play the damn thing*

Reactions:
The maim constrain is the lack of time to actually *sit down and play the damn thing*
I sympathize. When I'm writing an AAR I tend to try and play ahead as much as possible because I never know when I'll have the time, and it's easier to fill in updates working from a backlog of screenshots and notes than play the game sometimes.

With the Panzers running amok in Ukraine, the Balkan pocket is doomed, and I can't imagine the Soviets at large will last much longer. I apologize if you've said it before, but how far do you plan on playing? Invading the US for total victory would be undeniably satisfying, but I couldn't blame you if you decided to call it if the outcome has become a foregone conclusion.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I sympathize. When I'm writing an AAR I tend to try and play ahead as much as possible because I never know when I'll have the time, and it's easier to fill in updates working from a backlog of screenshots and notes than play the game sometimes.

With the Panzers running amok in Ukraine, the Balkan pocket is doomed, and I can't imagine the Soviets at large will last much longer. I apologize if you've said it before, but how far do you plan on playing? Invading the US for total victory would be undeniably satisfying, but I couldn't blame you if you decided to call it if the outcome has become a foregone conclusion.
In the beginning, especially during the battle for France, I did indeed play several updates in one sitting. Still, nowadays I don't really since the time periods covered by each update have increased (Barbarossa being an exception). I find it more comfortable to play and post, as it allows for some constructive input from you guys and allows me to more easily write from a neutral point of view if I don't know what's gonna happen.
For now, I intend to deliver at least a little bit of revenge to the Americans, but we shall see about a full invasion and if it will turn out interesting enough to post.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter XVIIIe

The offensive that had no business to be this successful to begin with continues yielding victory after victory, propelled forward with nothing but elan of the Axis veterans whose morale seems to be at an all-time high. Whispers of victory, and plans to settle down after the war with any sweethearts that may still be alive back home are heard among the rank and file, and in such spirits, the Soviet soldiers in Dalmatia are being read their last rites.

soviets in dalmatia done for.png

Simultaneously, the resistance of Bulgarian infantry is being broken by the German armor, as the way towards the capital of Sofia lies open.

gabrovo win.png

The picturesque town of Dubrovnik sees the surrender of a Soviet army, tired of fighting and pressed against the sea, completely encircled.

surrender in dubrovnik.png

A similar scenario unfolds in Pola, where the glacial advance by the Italian infantry seems to have picked the pace up slightly.

pola win.png

In the Soviet Union proper, the newly deployed recruits find themselves completely out of their depth as the German panzers drive around them, outmaneuvering them and forcing rapid surrenders. The chaotic and uncoordinated approach to war by the Soviet divisional commanders seems to be further harming their prospects of saving the enormous nation from imminent capitulation.

even new divs outmaneuvered.png

The previous statement, deemed utterly unrealistic by even the most optimistic officers of the Wehrmacht in the years prior, seems to ring more and more inevitable as von dem Bach-Zelewski's armored columns enter the outskirts of the irradiated Soviet former capital, with not a single armed formation standing there to oppose them.

bach zelewski in moscow.png

To help administer the newly liberated territories, puppet governments of Hungary, Slovakia and Poland are put in place. What remains alive amidst the chaos of war and nuclear armageddon is now theirs to command (and exploit).

hungary, poland and slovakia.png

The traitorous Bulgaria, quick to abandon us in our darkest hour, ceases to exist. With it, the majority of the supplies available to the remaining Soviets in the Balkans also stopped.

bulgaria done.png

Finally, the day Fatherland has been waiting for since 1941 dawns. With the crack of dawn, the red, white and black banner of the NSDAP is hoisted from the walls of the ancient Kremlin, marking the triumph of the anti-Bolshevik crusade once deemed a lost cause.

moscow taken.png

Simultaneously, news reached the OKW about the capture of similarly undefended Leningrad, where the repetition of the previously attempted brutal siege will not need to be enacted.

leningrad too.png

Nobody knows whether the news of the fall of their homeland's seats of power reached the Soviet soldiers in the Balkans, but their morale couldn't have gone much lower in any case.

ws keep coming.png

Additional divisions are destroyed in the chaos unfolding in the Soviet heartlands. No hope exists of reversing the German victory now, the reality of which is still difficult to accept after all the toiling during the previous years.

vyazma overruns.png

With the annexation of Bulgaria coming into effect, the first hostilities against the resurgent Hellenic nation commenced to the expected effect, their divisions being little more than rapidly formed partisan battalions.

hostilities with greece.png

In a vain attempt to try and detract from the German victory any way they could, the Americans dropped a nuclear payload onto Rome. The only eternal thing about the city now will be the traces of radiation.

not so eternal anymore.png

Not to be deterred, the Balkan front keeps mercilessly squeezing a ring around the trapped Soviet divisions. At that time, the meager oil stockpiles of the Reich were depleted once more. The Wehrmacht infantrymen happily sprung back to pushing their panzers forward, as their task had successfully been completed in the time window offered by the oil rationing of the past years.

wins all round.png

The last holdout of the Soviet Dalmatian front will be in Split, for better or for worse, as the eviction from the province of Knin comes into effect.

knin again.png

News reaches Berlin about the populace in the USSR getting so restless that they erupted in open rebellion against the central government a spitting distance from the former capital.

revolts in the soviet union.png

And it finally happened. In the morning hours of July 9th, a brief signed by Stalin's own hand (or someone imitating his signature) is read on every available radio station in Europe. Among the devastated ruins of the once-great European cities, a flicker of joy reappears. The ones hoping for liberation from the hated Axis have the last remnants of their hope die down though.

Victory.png

The terms are graciously accepted, and the German border jumps all the way to the Arkhangelsk-Astrakhan line. In Berlin, in a solemn ceremony, Hitler marries Eva Braun and they, together with their generals, finally throw all their assortment of cyanide pills into the trash, as they most certainly will not be needed any longer.

victory in the east.png

Governments of Slovenia, Croatia, Serbia, Montenegro, Albania, Romania and Bulgaria were established to administer the Balkan territories of the Axis. If at least a dozen people remain somewhere in the area to tax and conscript, that is. The army marches onwards to Athens, with a devastating victory against the Greeks concluding in Thessaloniki.

balkan puppets.png

In the East, a bit more liberal approach to the border drawing is assumed, as the architects of the German vision of the world are left to go wild distributing the former Soviet lands. Reichkommissariats of Ostland, Ukraine, Caucasus and Moscow were spawned, in the hope that military administration was what the restless Soviet territories needed to prevent them from springing into open rebellion. Finland is put back onto the map in the north too.

bordergore.png

As such, a number of less crucial names in the OKW are sent to pacify the eastern conquests as only professional soldiers can.

bunch of generals lost.png

In the drunken revelry, the attempt to conquer Greece continues still, albeit at a relatively slow pace.

greek front mess.png

In the confusion, a battle is lost in Kozani, as the adequate reinforcements got drunk somewhere along the way, leaving their brethren no choice but to stop the assault on the Greek-held mountain.

not careful.png

Undeterred by more worldly affairs, the intellectuals of the ivory tower develop further insight into modern spearhead, civil defense and air cavalry respectively. New projects are greenlighted immediately.

air cav researched.png
modern spearhead done.png
civil defense initiative done.png

While the drug-addled and quite frankly schizophrenic chancellor Hitler enjoys his honeymoon on the beaches of the Azure coast, an embroidered envelope signed in Göring's own obese hand arrives and is immediately handed to the vacationing dictator.
It read:

"Apologies for the belated wedding present. Revenge is a dish best served cold.
Best wishes,
Hermann"

best served cold.png

• 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Stalin surrendered? Before he died? That surprises me. I expected more resistance by the USSR there.

Congrats on your great victory.

Also, there must've been so many historical places destroyed when Rome was nuked. Future historians will see this as a shame...

• 1Like
Reactions:
That was surprisingly bereft of catharsis. I guess it is to be expected when there is no organized resistance left after the initial victories, but it is still surprising to see that the Balkans put up a harder fight.

So, what now? Three years of building a navy?

• 1Like
Reactions: