• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I actually consider Gamestar to be a good mag and they are good at doing reviews, but this EU4 review is sadly a dud. It's subjective, I get that, but they subtract points for having few special effects and repetitive music, generally putting too much weight into categories that really don't matter in EU4 as much as in other games. This is a consequence of their very deterministic reviewing system.

...This is a consequence of their very deterministic reviewing system.
Yes, this is one of the main problems of review scores and the reviewing system at all. Others like Rock Paper Shotgun who do it (imho) right and review without using obscure score numbers don't even appear in such disbutable meta scores like metacritic...

Europa Universalis IV is without doubt a perfect masterpiece to succeed Eu3.
I´ve to admit there a time where I was a little sceptical about some changes. But the more I play, them more I love these new changes.

Trade, Tech, diplomacy and many many aspects are so much better and more fun to use.

I rate the game 91/100.
And I am very exited to see the future updates of this game :)

I actually consider Gamestar to be a good mag and they are good at doing reviews, but this EU4 review is sadly a dud. It's subjective, I get that, but they subtract points for having few special effects and repetitive music, generally putting too much weight into categories that really don't matter in EU4 as much as in other games. This is a consequence of their very deterministic reviewing system.

They have a way to note the game and they stick to that. There is nothing wrong with it.
If the way they put a note is to say "ok, the best should get a 10 in this field, how much does it score?" and then add all the fields, then it's correct.

You can say what you want, but as long as they note all the games the same way, it's fair.

On the French side, there is jeuxvideo.fr : 9/10
http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/jeux/europa-universalis-4/preview-test-europa-universalis-4.html

Probably been said b4, but I can't see how slowly working through diplomatic and covert action to set up Saxony as the next nation to be absorbed into Brandenburgian expansion is everyone's cup o' tea when it comes to gaming. (I, on the other hand, have gone and drank gallons of the fruit juice...)

My point is I see these reviews that seem to want to recognize the game for the achievement it is... but don't quite know how to give a 95/100 or whatever to a game grounded in stuff like history... and a game that really tries to bring forward so many of our love for boardgames.

Anywho... the reviews look very positive overall. As they should be.. congrats! Just can't help feel that there's a serious unspoken history/ serious strategy tax in these reviews....

Well I have played about 8 hours worth of the demo and I must say its a very good game. I watched a bit of people playing online in order to understand how some of the more complex mechanics work.
Only other Paradox game I've played is CKII. I'm a big fan of total war, the Civ franchise, and many of the old strategy, colonize, number army games. Have not played EU3
The tutorial is great, although trade and the papal stuff needs some more explaining. The interface is very good and there isn't so much clicking around like there is in CKII. Every aspect of the game seems very fleshed out. I haven't had any performance issues, game runs smoothly. Which is more than I can say for CKII - that game I would start up and then go make some coffee for 5min while it loaded. And then sometimes it would crash!!!

Only thing I've found that needs tweaking is attrition. Seems odd that a big stack of European armies can conquer through the interior of Africa without any disease penalties. There should be disease penalties for culture group vs region vs distance from a core. So if you don't have a core province on a coast then your army is going to succumb to the elements pretty quick.

Hi people -

I write for a Dutch gamesite Eurogamer Benelux (www.eurogamer.be) and I've written a review of Eu IV. You can find it here http://www.eurogamer.be/articles/2013-08-27-europa-universalis-iv-review. You scored a 9/10.

Basically I focus on the new monarch system, trade and the noob-friendliness. I claim the game is Paradox' best title yet especially due to the fact that you feel more in control of certain aspects of the game thanks to the monarch points. Furthermore I stress that Paradox did an outstanding job at helping new players.

Biggest Polish gaming website - Gry-Online.pl - 9,5/10
http://www.gry-online.pl/S020.asp?ID=9192

Here's a couple translated punchlines: "Nobody else has made as many great strategy titles as the hard-working Swedes from the Paradox Interactive studio". "It's the first Paradox game that takes hours to learn rather than weeks". "You can feel that the series is progressing in the right direction."