Europa Universalis IV Developer diary 19 – War has never been so much fun...

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Nice, very nice !

I think your ability to supply your troops overseas should be tied to your navy (and to your trade range also), just as the income you get out of colonies is tied to number of warships you have. That way we would not see 30k european stacks in India. Above your supply limit you should get a big amount of attrition, or reduced org.

I'd love for the navy to be made more useful throughout the course of the game, anything that makes continual investment in new ships worthwhile would work for me.

Additionally (and going OT a bit), there should be certain classes of ships that can be refitted on the tech tree, rather than being outdated as soon as a new tech comes along. A lot of navies would repurpose older ships to keep them viable (or be able to sell them to lesser-powers), rather than having to rebuild a new navy every 20/30 years.

Many battles in the EU period seem to have ended in one army withdrawing and the other just besieging a fort or two before the other army was back; the current method still seems to allow the chasing method, and by increasing supply limits far from owned territory even support it... sure, you need to chase them for 3 provinces before you can engage them again, but historically I think a Dutch army couldn't possibly fight the French in Orleans just after defeating them in Flanders. They'd have to take over forts in the region in between them to get anywhere.

Agreed - there needs to be something to slow armies down. Maybe increase the usage of forts to inflict damage to an army that is only travelling-through an enemy province, or slow down the army speed? Make it so you can't just immediately rush to a capital without concern, but instead have to chip away at the periphery of a country (and perhaps help prevent you sending out 1-2 stack armies to siege every province in relative safety). It's all too easy to overrun a country without any great skill or planning.

There are various things that increase minimum attrition no matter what. A nation with full defensive ideas inflict 1% attrition on all hostile armies on its territory.
Woah, so if you invade a nation that has full defensive ideas all your troops will cost double maintenance since they will always need some reinforcements? This sounds like it could make some larger nations, like Russia and France, more or less invulnerable to offensive wars.

Woah, so if you invade a nation that has full defensive ideas all your troops will cost double maintenance since they will always need some reinforcements? This sounds like it could make some larger nations, like Russia and France, more or less invulnerable to offensive wars.

I wouldn't go that far, but it would make it harder to invade. However taking that idea means you're sacrificing an Idea slot, which might be better spent on:
1. Increasing military offensive power(so that you're not on the defensive in the first place)
2. Increasing other things, like your economy.

Likely not; don't forget, for every nifty new trick they tease us with there's dozens of counters we don't know yet. Maybe Quantity makes replacement troops free and doubles your manpower. Until we see all the cards its hard to tell which ones are especially strong.

Likely not; don't forget, for every nifty new trick they tease us with there's dozens of counters we don't know yet. Maybe Quantity makes replacement troops free and doubles your manpower. Until we see all the cards its hard to tell which ones are especially strong.
Alright, fair enough. It's just that with the cards that we _do_ have this one sounds extremely powerful with the given mechanics.

We have tested this for months now in both singleplayer and multiplayer, and we feel extremely happy with the results, and this is probably the best combat and war system we've done, yet.

do you think its better than the march of eagles combat? as that looks really awesome & more detailed (yes i know its a wargame solely)...

I look forward to try this new battle system, giving more focus to morale, orders and tech looks like a nice and realistic addition :).

The game is getting closer and closer to recreating conditions of the time which is very welcomed news.

When can we a expect a similarly detailed Dev Diary regarding the new and improved role of naval power?

This DD reveals a lot of cool changes to combat, but a big question for me (and one already asked) is whether there will be any changes when an army or battle is overseas.

as wars are now much more costly, do we also get nations supporting others(i.e. the duch republic supporting austria in their wars agaisnt france) financially more? and will it be easier to actually develop a warchest(maybe even allow a slider where the player can put gold in he can take only in certain conditions, like war) than in eu3? with thr bysmall income some realms have who actually warred a lot that could pretty much destroy them. maybe increase the importance of looting(so sending armies of 4k horses into enemy territory to harrass them actually has an impact now?)

Last edited:
yes can we have a seperate fund in which we can designate our warchest (i.e, its own little interface). It Could have info roughly relating to how long our army (in its current size) could be maintained for - that would be good!

How will winter affect supply limits? I love higher supply limits for the attacker than in EU3 but I don't think it makes sense in cases such as invading Russia.

I am curious to know this too. With the other effects they're adding in for winter (graphical, freezing seas), hopefully waging war in Northern Europe during winter is not a very good idea.