Europa Universalis IV – Developer Diary 1 – The world is at your feet

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Maps looks great, graphics wise. But I feel that the historical borders vs gameplay argument is a bit forced. Historicalish borders are perfectly possible if you refrain from implementing weird, distracting shapes and if you don't increase connections between provinces. I hope Paradox would accept communty input on minor map improvents such as names, captiols and maybe shapes if they don't change balance. And if not there's always modding. :)

Grrrr the game hasnt been releaed yet and its already taking a considerable amount of my time..... I wouldnt mind that if my school didnt start now :(

On a more related note, I really like the idea of changing seasons and effects they force on the game! thats lovely. I wonder if this means that armies in Europe will have to delay their plans in the autumn until spring while armies in Arabia will have to wait for summer to pass, in both cases to avoid big attrition? I also wonder if the AI will be programmed to understand and take weather and season changes into account.... That would be fun :)

Btw that image of Egypt reminded me of Napoleon:TW :D

Last edited:
Maps looks great, graphics wise. But I feel that the historical borders vs gameplay argument is a bit forced. Historicalish borders are perfectly possible if you refrain from implementing weird, distracting shapes and if you don't increase connections between provinces. I hope Paradox would accept communty input on minor map improvents such as names, captiols and maybe shapes if they don't change balance. And if not there's always modding. :)
There is no reason not to correct Algarve (and possibly others to, but I can't think of other examples).

Province sizes matter quite a lot though. Small border adjustments are usually fine.. but the proposals for Algarve we've seen are usually breaking a few rules.

Vic 2 uses a so called Miller projection of the Earth. HoI3 and I bet Eu3 too uses one that enlarges the Norther hemisphere and shrinks the southern.
So the map is more accurate. Except for Kamchatka, GIS software are notoriously bad at projecting the sides of the map...

Very nice, all of it!

The map is pretty, but is my computer going to be able to run it? I hope we can turn off those trees and shadows and things.

My guess is there will probably be options to turn shadows and water reflections on and off. Perhaps province and unit idle animations too.

I might be mistaken....but I think I'm noticing a slight graphics improvement.

2zi0tb6.jpg

98y6f6.png

Looks good. Eastern Europe needs changes though, to prevent Bohemian snake creeping into Siberia, among other things. ;)

Really good texture work there, and higher-res smoother borders make a big change. Would "sprites" be finally moddable (I mean meshes), or would EU4 still use EmotionFX?

Vic 2 uses a so called Miller projection of the Earth. HoI3 and I bet Eu3 too uses one that enlarges the Norther hemisphere and shrinks the southern.
So the map is more accurate. Except for Kamchatka, GIS software are notoriously bad at projecting the sides of the map...

:huh: Could you please translate this to a "christian tongue"?