• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Uploaded a new update with checksum ICGI, main changes -
  • Added an event chain for the Little War between Slovakia and Hungary
  • Added new loading screen, menu background, tweaked some brigade icons
  • AI - Air AI now uses more mission types and should use more appropriate airplane types for some missions
  • ENG - Better at some invasions, should protect Plymouth convoys better
  • FRA - Nerf available raw resources, AI France can now accept the Union of decide to fight on
  • FIN - Removed some ahistorically large fortifications
  • GER - Tweaked fronts, now tries to launch an offensive in '43 if it doesn't yet hold Baku, nerf available raw resources. AI Germany can now select different peace treaties with France, which have been tweaked to give different odds for French Union/refusal
  • ITA - Use more fleets
  • JAP - Use more fleets
  • SLO - Added Spiska Nova Ves airbase
  • SOV - SOV now goes on the offensive if Germany gets DDay'd, loss of Stalingrad now causes a hit to industry until recaptured (Impossible to move supply through Volga), Dontesk Flooding now scales with the level of Infrastructure in Dontesk
  • USA - Restore some USA/GER cold war events, use more fleets, invasion tweaks
  • Civil Wars - It's now possible to directly (without reloading) choose to play Nationalist Spain, Free France, or Slovakia in the relevant events
  • Misc - Oil is harder to get from energy conversion, resources are harder (less effective) to get from occupied provinces,
Detailed logs of changes can be viewed on GitHub - https://github.com/BoneHorror/EODAIP
Download is available under the same Mega folder as always - https://mega.nz/folder/ww5RQZ7T#8NbpTZMoGLsGretX1gJmnQ

Edit: Uploaded a small fix to some script issues and German fronts on 20.07.23

Last edited:
  • 8Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Love your work, thanks for your continuing efforts! I immediately loaded up a new game as the Spanish Republic. Where do I get to choose to play Nationalist Spain in a relevant event? I couldn't find one and saved upon Nat Spain popping up and reloaded. Should I have waiting for some more time?

Love your work, thanks for your continuing efforts! I immediately loaded up a new game as the Spanish Republic. Where do I get to choose to play Nationalist Spain in a relevant event? I couldn't find one and saved upon Nat Spain popping up and reloaded. Should I have waiting for some more time?
The choice should be presented immediately in the Spanish Civil War event (2052002)
spain.png

• 2Like
Reactions:
download the mod seem amazing, i want start some campaigns first with germany then other, waht difficult i set? normal normal? then some tips for germany, thanks, last question there are events post WW 2? if i play germany urss or the allied? thanks all
then the unit sprites can i modify?
they are old

download the mod seem amazing, i want start some campaigns first with germany then other, waht difficult i set? normal normal? then some tips for germany, thanks, last question there are events post WW 2? if i play germany urss or the allied? thanks all
then the unit sprites can i modify?
they are old
You can probably modify unit sprites if you want to, I don't see why not
Normal is OK, just change it to something else if you feel like it's too easy for you
There are some events post WW2 (especially for Germany), but less than Cold War-focused mods.

Normal is OK, just change it to something else if you feel like it's too easy for you
There are some events post WW2 (especially for Germany), but less than Cold War-focused mods.
ok thanks for the reply , so if i play germany urss or usa the are events in the next years , like for 10 years like that , i want try your mod , because i need historical accuracy , when i play with us or urss , or japan while i play , and see other nations play historical

in yopur opinion all in one mod is historically accurate? if i want experience post ww2 thanks

historically accurate? if i want experience post ww2
You cannot expect historical accurateness after WW2, not even remotly, sorry. For this the very least precondition would be that everything during WW2 happened exactly like in history and with a human player... that's highly unlikely. As a player, you very probably will break history.

From my own experience playing Germany: Many of the events from 1933 to 1940 are, indeed, very much based on history and quite well so for a game. I actually did learn some stuff but, of course, to allow this you also need to follow history as a player. But from on mid 1940 my mingeling into history in an ahistorical way makes it usually very difficult for events to even get properly initiated. But there are players who try to follow the events of history better than me and manage to lengthen the somehow proper historic path a bit. You can see it in some after-action-reports (AARs).

Nevertheless as historically correct many of the events might be, there is always a chance that Japan conqueres all of China or Mao gets defeated by Nationalist China, an unexperienced player loosing as Germany vs France already in 1940 or the USA not entering WW2 at all... a game cannot replace reading a history book. But... DH helps a lot motivating you to do both: playing AND reading up wars, battles, political events etc. At least it worked for me this way. I might be a history nerd but I can't recall ever reading up on battles in WW2 before playing DH. And while I had obviously heard about Blitzkrieg, it was only a rather fuzzy expression something to do with tanks... almost difficult to remember (and to admit) how fuzzy it was.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
You cannot expect historical accurateness after WW2, not even remotly, sorry. For this the very least precondition would be that everything during WW2 happened exactly like in history and with a human player... that's highly unlikely. As a player, you very probably will break history.

From my own experience playing Germany: Many of the events from 1933 to 1940 are, indeed, very much based on history and quite well so for a game. I actually did learn some stuff but, of course, to allow this you also need to follow history as a player. But from on mid 1940 my mingeling into history in an ahistorical way makes it usually very difficult for events to even get properly initiated. But there are players who try to follow the events of history better than me and manage to lengthen the somehow proper historic path a bit. You can see it in some after-action-reports (AARs).

Nevertheless as historically correct many of the events might be, there is always a chance that Japan conqueres all of China or Mao gets defeated by Nationalist China, an unexperienced player loosing as Germany vs France already in 1940 or the USA not entering WW2 at all... a game cannot replace reading a history book. But... DH helps a lot motivating you to do both: playing AND reading up wars, battles, political events etc. At least it worked for me this way. I might be a history nerd but I can't recall ever reading up on battles in WW2 before playing DH. And while I had obviously heard about Blitzkrieg, it was only a rather fuzzy expression something to do with tanks... almost difficult to remember (and to admit) how fuzzy it was.
Oh tanks for reply soon as possible , hou make instead great work, i try to donnow multiple campaigns , germany urss and usa maybe italy and japan , i try to set the same difficult , then see what appen , some suggestion on difficult? I see many players change that , some times i want conquer the world with germany other with urss , other fight urss and germany with usa

hou make instead great work
No, no. All praise must go to @Sheien who brought dearly needed new life and tweaks to the AI-scripts and @Hirz who made the original Egde of Darkness mod (EoD 2.2/2.22 or the newest 2.5) on which Sheien based his work.

some suggestion on difficult?
Depends on your expertise. Because the AI is better in this mod and if you are rather new to DH, my recommendation would be to start at normal and see how it goes. Expect to get beaten the first times.

Last edited:
Hi, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but the AI doesn't seem so different from regular Darkest Hour except maybe it's more dynamic. However it still makes suicidal landing attempts with a mere couple divisions and no fleet to back them up and it spreads its fleets so thin that I can easily do whatever I want with my German and Italian fleets.

Sealion was quite the piece of cake and even though US declared war on me its fleets are also completely spread out and aren't a real challenge for my unified fleets.

Any way to fix that? The navy component seems to be the one lacking the most. Eg. They should react to an invasion of Britain by coherently merging up fleets and sending them all together in order to engage my naval units, rather than keeping them separated and sending some piecemeal.

Hi, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but the AI doesn't seem so different from regular Darkest Hour except maybe it's more dynamic. However it still makes suicidal landing attempts with a mere couple divisions and no fleet to back them up and it spreads its fleets so thin that I can easily do whatever I want with my German and Italian fleets.

Sealion was quite the piece of cake and even though US declared war on me its fleets are also completely spread out and aren't a real challenge for my unified fleets.

Any way to fix that? The navy component seems to be the one lacking the most. Eg. They should react to an invasion of Britain by coherently merging up fleets and sending them all together in order to engage my naval units, rather than keeping them separated and sending some piecemeal.
The things that you mention - like landing organization or fleet size management - are not modifiable in (almost) any way in DH. Broadly speaking, the AI "micro" is not changed in a major way. I would say that the way AI is better, is it's written with more stuff in mind - it doesn't have like 2 scripts for the period 1939-1945, it can actually make some different decisions, try to manage where to keep fleets better (clearly not good enough still). It's really what the AI should have already been, but it's not a BWAPI-style AI where the focus is on perfect micro and competitiveness.

If you're a good German player I wouldn't expect you to struggle except on Very Strong Allies. If that's still too easy, I could look into making it harder.

• 2Like
Reactions:
The things that you mention - like landing organization or fleet size management - are not modifiable in (almost) any way in DH. Broadly speaking, the AI "micro" is not changed in a major way. I would say that the way AI is better, is it's written with more stuff in mind - it doesn't have like 2 scripts for the period 1939-1945, it can actually make some different decisions, try to manage where to keep fleets better (clearly not good enough still). It's really what the AI should have already been, but it's not a BWAPI-style AI where the focus is on perfect micro and competitiveness.

If you're a good German player I wouldn't expect you to struggle except on Very Strong Allies. If that's still too easy, I could look into making it harder.
I think the biggest improvement could be in the way AI handles navies. As for naval invasions perhaps you could even script an invasion to happen at a determined moment, for instance I also noticed that Japan completely ignores the island campaign.

What difficulty and AI aggressiveness would you suggest your mod should be played at? I generally prefer setting everything to normal because I usually don't like to give massive boni to the AI in order to make it competitive.

I think the biggest improvement could be in the way AI handles navies. As for naval invasions perhaps you could even script an invasion to happen at a determined moment, for instance I also noticed that Japan completely ignores the island campaign.

What difficulty and AI aggressiveness would you suggest your mod should be played at? I generally prefer setting everything to normal because I usually don't like to give massive boni to the AI in order to make it competitive.
Except for some parametrization (which provinces to prefer, how to weigh enemy unit presence etc), you can't actually script a specific invasion to happen. Japan does have islands as valid invasion targets, but typically the Pacific is such a slaughterhouse that neither side can execute their invasion plans (which is a side effect of trying to make the navy better, ironically enough)

AI aggressiveness apparently is a setting that has no effect, but I would recommend the opposite difficulty setting to whatever side you're playing on if you feel that the game is too easy. Since those are per-faction bonuses, they're not as huge as they were in base HoI2 - though imo the base HoI2 settings are kind of silly anyway, you can easily "win" WW2 as the UK if you're AFK on Very Hard throughout the entire game :D

I guess I'm looking for advice on how to manage Nat China after peace.

I'm playing EODAIP.

I started my campaign against China around the usual time (July 1937) and was unusually successful. I was advancing down the coast nicely having connected Shanghai with the main front, having trapped and destroyed around 30 divisions at Yantai. I made a successful landing in the South with 24 divisions and was currently advancing up the coast to link up with the army around Shanghai. None of this was unusual, but what I haven't had much success on was in the north around Com China. I changed my OOB this time to put more Japanese units facing the divisions up there. Usually, I would leave the northern theatre to the Manchurian units to just hold the line; mainly due to terrain and the Com China super soldiers - I've never had much success against them. However, this time I broke through, took Yulin and built a strong presence that was looking to advance further down the country.

So anyway, this is when the make demands of China's decision becomes available. I have never had this be successful before - ever. I usually just click claim the coastline (as opposed to Puppet or claim the north) . My reasoning is that I get most of the IC rich provinces and eliminate any Chinese naval threat (such as it is) and that they become a non-threatening rump state. This then leaves me to pursue conquest north into the SU at the same time as pursuing a South Pacific strategy.

However, I fear, now they have just accepted this for the first time the reality is different. Firstly, I am happy about gaining the extra 8ic (off map) and the partisan activity in my provinces in China is actually quite low. I'm a bit disappointed in the number of provinces I gained, I thought i'd push a little further inland but its not a huge issue.

The main issue is, Nat China have -200 opinion of me and an army of 166 inf divisions (not counting the warlords, including Com China that they are still allied to). How they converted militia to Inf so fast I dont know. They literally have 1 militia the rest Inf. They are the largest army in the world and they hate me. I now feel like I am next to a ticking time bomb. The provinces I have gained in China are not easily defensible. Not many rivers and no mountainous regions, plus a HUGE front to defend against 166+ inf divisions. I feel like I need to keep at least around 50 divisions in the region in case of a surprise attack., which kind of put a glass ceiling on my other conquests as Japan aren't blessed with a massive manpower-to-ambition ratio.

So what are some realistic strategies to keep Nat China at bay whilst able to pursue my ambitions elsewhere?

1. Firstly, are Nat China able to keep a force this large supplied? They have a base IC of 36 and 166 inf divisions. Is their army just going to be a paper tiger, or are they just going to get stronger through upgrading to later tech and fuller strength divisions? If they are going to have supply/TC problems sustaining such a large army with low IC is there any likelihood of the AI disbanding units to solve this problem?

2. Is spamming diplomatic influence and Coup Nation viable, in an effort to ward off an attack?

3. Do I need to prepare for a second showdown with these guys?

How would you proceed?