• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Whenever I or the AI destoy an enemy unit there is no pop up.

I am using a mix of the newest EODAIP and EoD 2.5, so it is no proper comparable setup but I get messages about destroyed units. Might be worthwhile, though, to doublecheck your message settings.

Big fan. I hope you are willing to make more moves with with diplo related AI, such as opinions, influence resistance tweaks and neutrality tweaks and the like. I see a few worrying signs that you are trying to "stabilize" the last few patches to avoid unhistorical outcomes maybe things got too chaotic, but my advise is double down. Any issues that may come up can have AI files written for them. Maybe even have 2% chance of a coup in a major? But definitively don't be afraid of stuff like Germany spam influencing all of south america until the USA gets in the war, or operation barbarossa taking place entirely in turkey and is resolved by nuclear strikes 1948, or Japan winning in like a month in China, taking just another piece of land as usual only to watch china go into civil war.

That's what's best about this war, true historical accuracy is that nobody knows what the hell is going to happen and have to prepare for everything.It's why I love this mod.

Btw I have to ask why did you do this, just curious:

CATEGORY;VERYEASY;EASY;NORMAL;HARD;VERYHARD;BLANK;X HUMAN;;;;;;;X INDUSTRY;25;25;25;25;25;;X RESOURCES;10;10;10;10;10;;X MANPOWER;10;10;10;10;10;;X RESEARCH;0;0;0;0;0;;X ORGANISATION;0;0;0;0;0;;X COMBAT;0;0;0;0;0;;X MOVE_SPEED;5;5;5;5;5;;X DISSENT;0;0;0;0;0;;X DIPLOMACY;0;0;0;0;0;;X INTELLIGENCE;0;0;0;0;0;;X STOCKPILES;-5;-5;-5;-5;-5;0;X #;;;;;;;X AI;;;;;;;X INDUSTRY;0;0;0;0;0;;X RESOURCES;0;0;0;0;0;;X MANPOWER;0;0;0;0;0;;X RESEARCH;0;0;0;0;0;;X ORGANISATION;0;0;0;0;0;;X COMBAT;0;0;0;0;0;;X MOVE_SPEED;0;0;0;0;0;;X DISSENT;0;0;0;0;0;;X DIPLOMACY;0;0;0;0;0;;X INTELLIGENCE;0;0;0;0;0;;X STOCKPILES;0;0;0;0;0;0;X ;;;;;;; #World in Flames difficulty modifiers currently disabled;;;;;;; #AI;;;;;;;X #INDUSTRY;-20;0;5;20;40;;X #RESOURCES;-20;0;5;20;40;;X #MANPOWER;-15;0;5;20;30;;X #RESEARCH;-10;0;10;15;20;;X #ORGANISATION;-15;0;10;20;30;;X #COMBAT;-5;0;5;10;10;;X #MOVE_SPEED;-5;0;5;10;10;;X #DISSENT;-20;0;20;30;40;;X #DIPLOMACY;-25;0;20;35;50;;X #INTELLIGENCE;-5;0;5;10;10;;X #STOCKPILES;0;0;0;0;0;0;X #;;;;;;;X ;;;;;;; AXIS;;;;;;;X INDUSTRY;-25;-30;-30;-30;-30;;X RESOURCES;20;10;-3;-5;-10;;X MANPOWER;20;10;0;0;0;;X RESEARCH;21;21;18;15;10;;X ORGANISATION;10;10;5;3;-5;;X COMBAT;10;5;5;5;0;;X MOVE_SPEED;10;10;10;5;0;;X DISSENT;-40;-20;5;10;15;;X DIPLOMACY;0;0;0;0;0;;X INTELLIGENCE;0;0;0;0;0;;X STOCKPILES;20;5;0;0;-5;-10;X #;;;;;;;X ALLIES;;;;;;;X INDUSTRY;-25;-22;-18;-15;-12;;X RESOURCES;-15;-15;-15;-10;0;;X MANPOWER;-20;-15;0;0;5;;X RESEARCH;15;15;15;18;18;;X ORGANISATION;1;3;3;3;4;;X COMBAT;0;3;4;5;7;;X MOVE_SPEED;0;0;0;0;5;;X DISSENT;20;20;20;0;-20;;X DIPLOMACY;10;10;10;10;10;;X INTELLIGENCE;5;7;10;10;10;;X STOCKPILES;15;15;15;15;15;0;X #;;;;;;;X COMINTERN;;;;;;;X INDUSTRY;-30;-30;-30;-30;-27;;X RESOURCES;-3;-5;-7;-5;-3;;X MANPOWER;-5;-5;0;0;0;;X RESEARCH;8;5;3;5;8;;X ORGANISATION;3;-1;-2;-1;3;;X COMBAT;0;0;0;0;0;;X MOVE_SPEED;0;0;0;0;0;;X DISSENT;10;10;10;10;10;;X DIPLOMACY;5;5;5;5;5;;X INTELLIGENCE;15;15;15;15;15;;X STOCKPILES;5;0;0;0;0;0;X #;;;;;;;X NEUTRAL;;;;;;;X INDUSTRY;-30;-30;-30;-30;-30;;X RESOURCES;25;0;-8;-15;-20;;X MANPOWER;-5;-5;-5;-5;-5;;X RESEARCH;5;5;5;5;5;;X ORGANISATION;0;0;0;0;0;;X COMBAT;5;5;5;5;5;;X MOVE_SPEED;0;0;0;0;0;;X DISSENT;0;0;0;0;0;;X DIPLOMACY;0;0;0;0;0;;X INTELLIGENCE;0;0;0;0;0;;X STOCKPILES;20;20;20;20;20;0;X EOF;;;;;;;X

Reactions:
Big fan. I hope you are willing to make more moves with with diplo related AI, such as opinions, influence resistance tweaks and neutrality tweaks and the like.
I've added opinions as weights to some events and tweaked influence resistances insofar they were relevant for those events

I see a few worrying signs that you are trying to "stabilize" the last few patches to avoid unhistorical outcomes maybe things got too chaotic, but my advise is double down.
This is exactly my goal. I don't think HoI2 works super well as an ahistorical mess outside of WW2, but I do think it's the best HoI experience when we stay within some confines of WW2. I don't particularly care if it's a WW2 started by Germany attacking France or Denmark instead of Poland, or maybe if Germany immediately invaded Venezuela, as long as it still creates the main conflict drive

I will also say, yeah everything *can* have AI files written for that special rare case, but that becomes increasingly a huge performance throttle as well as just extra work + time for each case (which is spent on this instead of something more people might run into). I'm already running into issues with how many events there are currently, or at least it seems to cause slowdowns on my machine -- there's random crashes and all sorts of stuff too that I can't probably fix or figure out without making a wrapper, and that's outside of what I'm willing to do for this project (as much as it would be fun enough to try and figure out all the esoteric AI quirks from asm)

Germany spam influencing all of south america until the USA gets in the war, or operation barbarossa taking place entirely in turkey and is resolved by nuclear strikes 1948, or Japan winning in like a month in China, taking just another piece of land as usual only to watch china go into civil war.
That's all fine (and Japan winning in the first peace negotiations is roughly possible, iirc - just not high odds), for South America specifically I'd like to add more content there before I really take a look at it. It's also slightly harder to try and figure out what would differentiate South American militaries from countries that took a more active role in the war, which is a bit of a bother for AI
Btw I have to ask why did you do this, just curious:
You mean the negative IC mods across the board, or balance being Axis->Allies?
Negative IC is a performance/sanity thing, with default IC this engine dies around ~43 and the number of divisions felt overwhelming for me to manage. Things like air stacks flying out all at the same hour especially caused stutters each day

Balance being Axis->Allies instead of Easy->Hard is because Easy->Hard doesn't really make sense imo, it super limits what countries you can actually play. Now Hard is just setting whatever you aren't playing as the "stronger" faction, which both weakens your allies and yourself

• 1Like
Reactions:
I've added opinions as weights to some events and tweaked influence resistances insofar they were relevant for those events
Yeah I know its great :]

This is exactly my goal. I don't think HoI2 works super well as an ahistorical mess outside of WW2, but I do think it's the best HoI experience when we stay within some confines of WW2. I don't particularly care if it's a WW2 started by Germany attacking France or Denmark instead of Poland, or maybe if Germany immediately invaded Venezuela, as long as it still creates the main conflict drive

I will also say, yeah everything *can* have AI files written for that special rare case, but that becomes increasingly a huge performance throttle as well as just extra work + time for each case (which is spent on this instead of something more people might run into). I'm already running into issues with how many events there are currently, or at least it seems to cause slowdowns on my machine -- there's random crashes and all sorts of stuff too that I can't probably fix or figure out without making a wrapper, and that's outside of what I'm willing to do for this project (as much as it would be fun enough to try and figure out all the esoteric AI quirks from asm)

Do you have an old machine? It runs super fast til the 60's for me and mine is mid tier.

If you don't have an old machine, open cmd as admin and run "sfc /scannow" then restart and do it again if it finds any errors with your system files, then DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. This should repair your windows copy. If you're on windows 7 stop doing that as it kills people, if you are running linux i dunno, if you are running win10 or win11 and keep getting errors after doing either of these are rebooting after each try, you need to download an official copy of windows from microsoft for free, mount it, and basically you can use that to unfuck your machine and when you are done everything will look the same.

I'll help you if it comes to it, but your mod shouldn't lag im on a 3 year old mid tier build over here

Also sad that you went that way. I agree nazi germany must go aggressive or the game kinda doesn't work but other than that I personally believe its the wrong path, the AI files would only need to cover the most basic things like country X now does not hate and refuse to trade with country Y, pop that in a file, make it trigger on relations, the rest of the AI code would still be active, which admittedly could have weird side effects when the target modifier becomes a defensive instead of aggressive for example.

That's all fine (and Japan winning in the first peace negotiations is roughly possible, iirc - just not high odds), for South America specifically I'd like to add more content there before I really take a look at it. It's also slightly harder to try and figure out what would differentiate South American militaries from countries that took a more active role in the war, which is a bit of a bother for AI

If you have old versions of the mod and can upload or check if you tweaked chinese acceptance up then down id appreciate it because as far as I can remember that's what's happened.

You mean the negative IC mods across the board, or balance being Axis->Allies?
Negative IC is a performance/sanity thing, with default IC this engine dies around ~43 and the number of divisions felt overwhelming for me to manage. Things like air stacks flying out all at the same hour especially caused stutters each day

Balance being Axis->Allies instead of Easy->Hard is because Easy->Hard doesn't really make sense imo, it super limits what countries you can actually play. Now Hard is just setting whatever you aren't playing as the "stronger" faction, which both weakens your allies and yourself

A very innovative approach, never seen it around. Have you considered the difficulty trigger in events though? Because right now 9 event files will act differently depending on what difficulty a player is on. Just making sure there's nothing you missed in going this approach.

Reactions:
Do you have an old machine? It runs super fast til the 60's for me and mine is mid tier.
It's not super old, but in any case I was under the impression that HoI2's engine (was it Clausewitz?) is typically throttled by only being able to use a single core. Isn't that the case? On top of that, there's 100% some leakiness going on where sessions get slowdowns if you play for longer. (Tbh feels like maybe that's even just because of invasions.txt getting big)

If you have old versions of the mod and can upload or check if you tweaked chinese acceptance up then down id appreciate it because as far as I can remember that's what's happened.
CHI hasn't been tweaked in a while, but I changed AI JAP recently to be less likely to ask for non-puppet in first peace negotiations.
CHI has pretty high odds to accept if you ask for Northern China only, and medicore for Coasts. None for puppet during the first negotiations.
A very innovative approach, never seen it around. Have you considered the difficulty trigger in events though? Because right now 9 event files will act differently depending on what difficulty a player is on. Just making sure there's nothing you missed in going this approach.
Yes, I've added several new event-side difficulty comparisons too! There should be about 50 of them now, or at least that's how many I eyeball when searching through events (and excluding "difficulty" from comments)

• 1Like
Reactions:
Yes, I've added several new event-side difficulty comparisons too! There should be about 50 of them now, or at least that's how many I eyeball when searching through events (and excluding "difficulty" from comments)
That's great to hear, good work as always :]

Did your system have any corruptions, and what processor do you use if I may ask? I'm still puzzled by your experience on late game performance.

Hi there - I am playing your mod as a career game and reached 1958 with Brazil and really enjoying it. I postponed nuclear techs to the 1980s/1990s so there are no nukes and appreciating the game limitations, my intent was to take as much of South America as possible until USA declared war and just wage a quiet defensive war. In reality, Germany got wiped out by the Allies and the Soviets who then in parallel had a follow up immediate long-term conflct that ended with Allied victory. In parallel, Japan was making progress and had a front open in India as well as having taken New Zealand and made a half-invasion of Australia before being repelled. I got tempted to join that alliance with Japan which I did early on and then the front collapsed around 1955 where it automatically triggered a peace with Japan joining the Allies and Brazil losing its Allied-held provinces in the north (but retaining all of the annexed South American countries).

This has been an excellent and entertaining game. One question though - as I played a defensive war anticipating air attacks and naval invasions, the Allies made many successful naval invasions with 9-12 well-equipped units. However, after taking the beachhead they would immediately retreat all of their units when they were in a good position for a breakthrough. This happens multiple times though after 1 year, they keep a small army on the beachhead (ie. attack with 12, keep 3-5) that are poortly equipped and get easily destroyed.

I appreciate and enjoy the more active and smarter AI in naval invasions (and fits perfectly for scenarios like the one I am currently playing) but just wanted to check if there is anything that can be done to make the Allies maintain, supply and bolster the beachhead once they land to make a more enjoyable and challenging game. At this stage, i would have been overrun multiple times over or at least fighting a land battle on multiple fronts but the AI's inability/unwillingness to continue the battle limits it. I have seen the AI make naval invasions in the game so I know it is possible. Is it perhaps a corollary of being an ancillary front of the war?

Thank you for your efforts and keep up the excellent work!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Hi there - I am playing your mod as a career game and reached 1958 with Brazil and really enjoying it. I postponed nuclear techs to the 1980s/1990s so there are no nukes and appreciating the game limitations, my intent was to take as much of South America as possible until USA declared war and just wage a quiet defensive war. In reality, Germany got wiped out by the Allies and the Soviets who then in parallel had a follow up immediate long-term conflct that ended with Allied victory. In parallel, Japan was making progress and had a front open in India as well as having taken New Zealand and made a half-invasion of Australia before being repelled. I got tempted to join that alliance with Japan which I did early on and then the front collapsed around 1955 where it automatically triggered a peace with Japan joining the Allies and Brazil losing its Allied-held provinces in the north (but retaining all of the annexed South American countries).

This has been an excellent and entertaining game. One question though - as I played a defensive war anticipating air attacks and naval invasions, the Allies made many successful naval invasions with 9-12 well-equipped units. However, after taking the beachhead they would immediately retreat all of their units when they were in a good position for a breakthrough. This happens multiple times though after 1 year, they keep a small army on the beachhead (ie. attack with 12, keep 3-5) that are poortly equipped and get easily destroyed.

I appreciate and enjoy the more active and smarter AI in naval invasions (and fits perfectly for scenarios like the one I am currently playing) but just wanted to check if there is anything that can be done to make the Allies maintain, supply and bolster the beachhead once they land to make a more enjoyable and challenging game. At this stage, i would have been overrun multiple times over or at least fighting a land battle on multiple fronts but the AI's inability/unwillingness to continue the battle limits it. I have seen the AI make naval invasions in the game so I know it is possible. Is it perhaps a corollary of being an ancillary front of the war?

Thank you for your efforts and keep up the excellent work!
Hey, thanks for playing!

I've ran into the issue you described before, and it seemed to be caused by a combination of front ratios and garrison modifiers. Would you happen to have a save that I could use to replicate this, by any chance? I can just change those directly in an existing save, so it's very handy for debugging

New major update!
It's my first time going through the motions of cutting .git fluff for EODAIP (in my other modding projects the process is just automatized), so hopefully I haven't accidentally left anything unneeded.

I've spent the most time in this update on trying to get Germany to win less often, and on trying Allies to create more stable fronts in Italy and France. I haven't exactly succeeded with D-Day, but for what it's worth - it's not like DDay works anywhere else in HoI. If I run unmodded Armagaddon, Germany always loses to SOV before allies even try landing... So right now my biggest hang-up by far is that Allies lose ~1000 TPs on average trying to run their troops through the Pacific like the babbling bafoons that they are. I don't know if this can be remedied using the tools that I have, though =/

As a result, Allies typically D-Day through Italy, the Balkans or Spain (if it happens to be in the war). I'll keep trying to figure out a way to make France landings more common.
Known current bugs: (including unmodded DH bugs)

• SPR may generate a trade deal with its day/hour saved as -52/-51
  • Transport Planes with loaded Paratroopers may idle for an indefinite amount of time
  • Paratroopers airlifted to air fields may instantly request the Transport to pick them back up and get killed as a result
  • Game slows down if you reload multiple times without restarting the executable
  • Game rarely crashes after releasing a country or when a division is upgraded in deploy queue?
Content:

• (CAN) Canada now sometimes tries to raid Dieppe
  • (ITA) Decrease the penalty from the “War takes a turn for the worse” event so that it does not completely remove whatever fighting capability ITA has (it had a 40% Org penalty!)
  • (ITA) Italy now joins Axis as soon as Belgium and Netherlands fall
  • (All RKs) RKs now have some industrial (Factories, Naval Yards etc) tech teams from their original countries
  • (U45) Slightly buff AI U45 (via free cores) to make it better at maintaining the Norwegian front
  • (USA) Sherman Tanks are now slightly cheaper to build
  • (USA) USA reacting to early-war outrageous events (US reaction to Fall of Paris, Gibraltar etc) now gives them Hawk Lobby and partial peacetime IC that was previously gated behind Fall of Suez
  • (USA) US now tries to get more units early into the war
  • (ENG, USA) Make Allies more passive on pre-DDay fronts (especially in Italy after ITA collapses into RSI)
  • (GER) German AI now sends Afrika Korps to Africa when available
  • (GER) If Germany DOWs Ireland during Sealion, it will now be better at invading through provinces other than Belfast
  • (GER) AI Germany now always garrisons low countries, regardless of whether it decides to plunder or setup RKs
  • (GER) Fixed a bad exp force setup that caused GER to be unable to defend against Turkey or Switzerland
  • (GER) Should no longer try to send troops overseas to some Japanese allies
  • (GER, FRA) Rework front on both ends; Germany now should always try to take Brussels and Amsterdam before going into France, to avoid an issue where sometimes AIs could get stuck with unreasonable numbers of stationary divisions around Maginot
  • (GER, SOV) Both SOV and GER now get some tank bonuses/maluses by default to try and mimic their tank development history
  • (SOV) Soviets start with more IC but the Barbarossa penalty lasts twice as long
  • (SOV) Soviets now should be more likely to invade & paratroop during war with Germany
  • (JAP) Japan will now try to invade Burma properly
  • (JAP) JAP is now a little bit more stupid when it comes to hunting TPs
  • (JAP) No longer build radars for JAP
  • (JAP) Japan is more passive when winning against China early
  • (MAN, MEN, JAP) JAP now has a higher proportion of own troops vs puppet troops to avoid reaching max military-to-IC ratio when still at very high MP
  • (AI) Tweak Paratrooper parameters
  • (AI) Tweak production priorities - major AIs now generally try to retain a balance between Navy, Air and Land army proportions
  • (Script) Some countries should prepare better for GER invasions
  • (Script) AIs and RKs that received some free Militias right after being released now get tech 3+ Militias instead of tech 1.
  • (Script) Events that checked intel_diff now check a simpler data type that’s more predictable when comparing ministers/tech (-> generally a nerf to how strong Pearl Harbour / Scapa Flow attacks were)
  • (Script) The Democracy penalty for huge losses now gives less Dissent
  • (Db) Radars now give Sub detection, floatplanes give less Sub detection
  • (Misc) Decrease max Air stack size back down to 4 -
    Wanted to avoid reverting this one because it just felt better to me as a Player, but I think ultimately between the number of planes typically seen during a campaign and with how AI uses them, it ends up being a mismatch.
  • (Misc) Decrease required trade effectiveness for pity trade deals (given to allies who badly need a resource)
  • (Misc) Remove Military Score to IC ratio check during wartime, rely only on max supply required cap for limiting AI production
  • (Misc) Convoys use current TP models instead of -1
  • (Misc) Buff efficiency of Naval Move and Air Scramble
  • (Misc) Gearing kicks in faster but has a smaller max benefit
  • (Misc, inc) Decrease some starting industry mods for Majors but increase IC prop gained from occupying provinces
  • (Inc, Provinces) Buff starting setup (IC, Manpower, resources) of Norway, Czechoslovakia, Bulgaria, Turkey, Italy, Shanxi, Guangxi, UK
As a bit of a showcase, here's one of my favourite moments when I was testing the update - German AI organically beelining for the Caucasus!
AI_ger_baku.png

• 7Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
I don't really think I can "release" the mod; it's not a full-fledged game, and the way HoI2 works improvements can be pretty much endless, as much as I want to keep working on it. I won't be able to really market it either, and that's typically why you could want something akin to a release :p

I don't really think I can "release" the mod; it's not a full-fledged game, and the way HoI2 works improvements can be pretty much endless, as much as I want to keep working on it. I won't be able to really market it either, and that's typically why you could want something akin to a release :p
I download this mod a few months ago and i liked how the german AI planned in the Caucasus, hence asking the release date. Do you share the files?

Why am I just discovering this? Played EoD to death and was sorry to see its development stall. This looks very interesting, thank you for putting so much effort into this.

Off to mega.nz I am ...

• 3Like
Reactions:
I played a USA campaign on Strong Axis - Aggressive to test things out and I enjoyed it quite a bit, especially while observing the world waiting for my turn. The AIs, each on their own right, were quite competent against each other, and played mostly historical. Things got a little messy when I became involved though. Here're some of my observations:

• Japan started by doing somewhat poorly against China, but they regained momentum after a bit, both I was happy to see since I'm used to AI Japan rolling over AI China. But after Pearl Harbor, Japan simply entered naval battles piecemeal against me in the Marianas and by new years 1942 they no longer had any capital ships. I guess teaching a HoI AI about naval matters is a gargantuan task so I'm not complaining, I'm quite used to it
  • UK and Italy had a stalemate at El Alamein until I joined (after Vichy France joined). They successfully invaded Syria in 1940 but when Iraq joined the Axis they crumbled and Iraq reached all the way to Suez until Iran entered the war and annexed Iraq. Iraq achieved that with less than 10 divisions while the Commonwealth had about 40 stuck around Egypt. This should've clued me in to what will happen later: AI failing to redeploy troops against emergent situations.
  • Both in my invasions of Italy and and Korea/Manchuria I failed to see the AI redeploy anything to counter me. I already didn't think Italy could provide resistance, but I was disappointed to see that after Italy collapsed, it took me a week to annex the Social Republic, and slightly more than a month to reach Berlin with cavalry, only encountering piecemeal infantry divisions marching around. They deployed about 50 divs to France to counter my move from Italy to there, only to be reduced to a pocket when I took Berlin-Hamburg axis since they couldn't form a front in the middle. Before I had moved on Germany, they were on the verge of encircling Moscow, having taken everything between Archangelsk and Rostov.
Germans had about 300 divisions total and I was invading with 70. I didn't have any real superiority over them in quality either - they beat me plenty of times in central France when my Armor met theirs - but they couldn't form a cohesive front all around, only in places, and they were very sluggish in moving troops from the East. The Soviets could only start breaking through by the time I was in Poland so I assume they simply chose to maintain the front there, which seems problematic.

I hope this can be useful for your purposes! I'm planning on playing as Germany or the Soviets another time where I'll have less opportunity to cheese the AI hopefully.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I played a USA campaign on Strong Axis - Aggressive to test things out and I enjoyed it quite a bit, especially while observing the world waiting for my turn. The AIs, each on their own right, were quite competent against each other, and played mostly historical. Things got a little messy when I became involved though. Here're some of my observations:

• Japan started by doing somewhat poorly against China, but they regained momentum after a bit, both I was happy to see since I'm used to AI Japan rolling over AI China. But after Pearl Harbor, Japan simply entered naval battles piecemeal against me in the Marianas and by new years 1942 they no longer had any capital ships. I guess teaching a HoI AI about naval matters is a gargantuan task so I'm not complaining, I'm quite used to it
  • UK and Italy had a stalemate at El Alamein until I joined (after Vichy France joined). They successfully invaded Syria in 1940 but when Iraq joined the Axis they crumbled and Iraq reached all the way to Suez until Iran entered the war and annexed Iraq. Iraq achieved that with less than 10 divisions while the Commonwealth had about 40 stuck around Egypt. This should've clued me in to what will happen later: AI failing to redeploy troops against emergent situations.
  • Both in my invasions of Italy and and Korea/Manchuria I failed to see the AI redeploy anything to counter me. I already didn't think Italy could provide resistance, but I was disappointed to see that after Italy collapsed, it took me a week to annex the Social Republic, and slightly more than a month to reach Berlin with cavalry, only encountering piecemeal infantry divisions marching around. They deployed about 50 divs to France to counter my move from Italy to there, only to be reduced to a pocket when I took Berlin-Hamburg axis since they couldn't form a front in the middle. Before I had moved on Germany, they were on the verge of encircling Moscow, having taken everything between Archangelsk and Rostov.
Germans had about 300 divisions total and I was invading with 70. I didn't have any real superiority over them in quality either - they beat me plenty of times in central France when my Armor met theirs - but they couldn't form a cohesive front all around, only in places, and they were very sluggish in moving troops from the East. The Soviets could only start breaking through by the time I was in Poland so I assume they simply chose to maintain the front there, which seems problematic.

I hope this can be useful for your purposes! I'm planning on playing as Germany or the Soviets another time where I'll have less opportunity to cheese the AI hopefully.
Yeah, that's plenty useful! As AI D-day was something that's been working out better for me only recently, AI being too slow to pull divs from one front to another consequently has also been a problem that got onto my radar only now. I think normally it was less obvious because the AI was just incessantly spamming cheated out divisions, but now that those are few and far between, populating new fronts becomes a problem.

I'm trying out an approach where the AI aggressively reprioritizes fronts in some cases, like here - https://github.com/BoneHorror/EODAIP/blob/main/ai/switch/GER_DDay_Panic.ai
But I'm still working on it, and I'm trying to find out a way where it'd be at least a bit faster at reacting. (even when front priorities or max ratios change, the AI still takes at least a few days to consider them =/)

I hear you about the naval issues, but there's so little that can be soft-coded about naval AI I don't even know how to try and improve it. My only idea would be just to make JAP get some obscene bonuses on Very Strong Axis, like maybe double/triple of what they get for Secret Tech events etc. But even then that only makes it slightly harder if you know what you're doing.

Thank you for playing!

• 2Like
Reactions:
I started a game as the U.S. too. Didn't really go historical at all for me - everything played out in terms of the Reich's goals, e.g. France turned Fascist and allied Germany after the defeat, Japan gobbled up the whole of China and even Persia DOWed the UK / Sovietunion rather than submitting. Germany DOWed the Soviets in early May '41 - by September '41 they had captured Moscow and drove their armies further down to the Urals.

My game setting is on "balanced", that is no special advantage for any side. At least, that is how I understood it?

I do notice, however, that whatever team I'm playing in, the other teammates seem to perform incredibly bad by comparison. Resulting in me having to jump to their rescue constantly. That's kind of annoying. What are these "secret settings" that give the other teams (Allies, Axis, Internationale) such a boost? Or is it really just a coincidence?