• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Yep, I also wonder why it takes more than 5 minutes to update Paradox Connect. You only need to tell the system which the newest and accepted version is, right?

Yep, I also wonder why it takes more than 5 minutes to update Paradox Connect. You only need to tell the system which the newest and accepted version is, right?

I bet the checksum is forged permanently into the server hardware, so they need to build up everything new from scratch now... May only take weeks... or months... :p

obviously not

Obviously not but if it takes more than one working day to get it working, the system is not very good.
Unless ofcourse they ran into some problems which would be good to know but situation reports isn't exactly one Paradox's strong suites.
Just something like "the guys are aware of the issue and working on it." "Ran into some problems. Going to be delayed a bit." "Still working, no ETA", etc.
People want to know even if there's nothing to report. Silence just seems like no one is doing anything.

Seriously, what did you guys do to piss off Steam? Don't say they haven't done any updates since the patch, they have today.

Obviously not but if it takes more than one working day to get it working, the system is not very good.

it's paradox we're talking about here. that's like telling neanderthals that making fire with stick and stone ain't very good nowadays.

Seriously, what did you guys do to piss off Steam? Don't say they haven't done any updates since the patch, they have today.

No patch here as of yet. What steam server are you using?

obviously not

That it actually takes them longer, doesn't mean that it should require so much time.
They don't need to invent and rebuild everything anew. And in case of Paradox, it might happen as well that they simply forgot to reactivate it. :p

How on earth do you see what the checksum should be ? I just bought Chronicles but couldn't download the game directly from gamersgate. So after launching it from my hard drive, I got som issues when patching with 5.1 ...

when I start the game the checksum is BJLT, after a game it's AJLT ???

Last edited:
Steam is still saying in customer-service emails that the Patch is on Paradox's side, not theirs. Boo.

(Not that I mind grabbing the patch from the launcher, I'm just worried about how the checksum will interact with ParadoxConnect... if that ever comes up again.)

it's paradox we're talking about here. that's like telling neanderthals that making fire with stick and stone ain't very good nowadays.

No patch here as of yet. What steam server are you using?

No, what I'm saying is that as of today, many other games have their updates in effect while this one still seems to be in limbo.

Steam is still saying in customer-service emails that the Patch is on Paradox's side, not theirs. Boo.

(Not that I mind grabbing the patch from the launcher, I'm just worried about how the checksum will interact with ParadoxConnect... if that ever comes up again.)

In my experience it is in 99% of such cases the receiver who fails. For Steam it is just one further patch for one of almost 2.000 games. Quite likely that they don't care as much as they should.

But there are surely worse companies out there. I still wait for Sony Europe to release the Pink Knight DLC for Castle Crashers for example. That DLC had been everywhere else in February!
But okay, SCEE is indeed my personal nightmare among any publishers and digital distribution channels.

How on earth do you see what the checksum should be ? I just bought Chronicles but couldn't download the game directly from gamersgate. So after launching it from my hard drive, I got som issues when patching with 5.1 ...

when I start the game the checksum is BJLT, after a game it's AJLT ???
The list of correct checksums is in the tech support forum (not sure if the latest patch has been added yet).
The checksum always changes when you resign but don't quit to desktop. I believe this was done to force people that get dropped from MP games to restart completely before trying to rejoin.

EDIT: Regarding Steam delays, keep in mind that they don't just give you the patch that Paradox gives them; they have to put their 'wrapper' around the exe files first to force you to use the Steam client. Are any other non-Gamersgate digital distributors providing the patch? I would expect Paradox would give the patch to all distributors at the same time (GamersGate actually just links back to the Paradox site to download patches).

Last edited:
It is possible to use Inno Setup Unpacker to extract the files from the setup and then manually copy the files over the installation. That's what I did to update Impulse version, it should work with Steam, version, too, long as EU3 is copied outside of Steam's directory like beta patches.

Inno Setup Unpacker

Don't try this if you are not familiar with the command line.

1. Install EU3 + Divine Wind if needed. Copy the fresh installation somewhere else, I'll use D:\EU351 as example. This keeps your original installation untouched so you can easily install the 5.1 patch to it once your distributor releases it.
2. Download the 5.1 installer and save it somewhere you remember, I'll use D:\eu3patch here.
3. Download the latest version of Inno Setup Unpacker and extract it somewhere you remember, I'll use D:\innoup here.
4. Start Command Prompt. Type D:\innoup\innounp -x -dD:\eu3patch D:\eu3patch\eu3_v5.1.exe. That should give long list of file names and the fles should be extracted to D:\eu3patch\{app}.
5. Copy files from D:\eu3patch\{app} to your copy of EU3 Divine Wind installation.
6. Done, clear the map cache as usual and enjoy.

edit: Oops, forgot to add link to the Inno Setup Unpacker.

Everybody who is having Steam problems, just use this; it worked for me.

Request for something to be done about Persia taking land in India, Ceylon and SE Asia. The penalty for Indian and Chinese tech groups needs to be decreased to help them survive against Persia, of all nations.