• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
You mean the Great Holy war that started at the end of my turn? Africa had 0 troops, so Karen's defeat was more likely to do with the AI having the logistical capabilities of a lemming.

Wink wink.

Probably not, its only the Sultanate of Africa. The had what? 10k?

I was actually telling the truth about my wife, she died a natural death. :p Really, REALLY! :eek:hmy:

I believe the Caliph only owned part of Tunisia, so it might not be that much of a shock the New Coptic Empire survived.
I believe I haven't seen a war between Karen and Coptia. I wonder when that will happen.

I'm afraid the AAR has to wait till Saturday, since I've got an exam tomorrow (which is the actual reason I was hesitant to start playing yesterday) and I still have some years to play until Dobromir dies.

Duke Dobromir of Croatia (Part 1: 1114-1119)

This is the tale of Dobromir of Croatia. His family had only emerged from obscurity two generations ago, when his grandfather Igor, a minor noble from Zachlumia who lived near the Neretva river, was granted rule over the county of Zachlumia by the Duchess Katalin of Croatia.

h0nehaM.jpg

Following the death of Count Igor of Zachlumia, his son Stanislav inherited. But within two years he also passed away, which left the county of Zachlumia in the hands of the 7-year-old Dobromir. As long as the rightful ruler of the county was a child, however, a regent council took control over the county, led by Dobromir's mother, the French Helvis of Saint-Gilles.

xJoWi3b.jpg

But as soon as Dobromir had come of age, he retook the reins. The ascended Duke tried to treat his subordinates righteously and thus, he became very well-respected.

It was several years after Dobromir's ascension to adulthood, when the Emperor Frang III of Germania, who would later be remembered as François III, stripped Dobromir's liege, Duke Grigorii of Croatia, heir to the late Duchess Katalin, of his primary title. The Emperor named Dobromir Duke in his stead.

NsZVv5a.jpg

Dobromir spent the following years consolidating his position as Duke and he married the slightly older Italian Clara di Asti who bore him three sons.

guOWbcO.jpg

Thus, we come to the year 1114. At that time, Duke Viktor of the neighbouring Duchy of Bosnia was revolting against his liege, the Emperor. Dobromir supported his liege and was able to weaken his neighbour severely.

7T8Q78l.jpg

It was at the return from his campaign against the Duke of Bosnia, that Dobromir learned of the revival of the Coptic Empire by Emperor Drogomir. It was well known that Emperor Drogomir's father had been nothing more than a mere count, bordering the gigantic Karen Empire. But the Zoroastrian infidels were busy fighting wars elsewhere and the Drogomirs had been able to chip away piece by piece during two decades of crusades. Now, the Holy Land was back in the hands of Christendom.

ViwB5NG.jpg

After Dobromir's son Stanislav came of age, the Duke decided to go on a pilgrimage towards the Holy Land to admire the feats that had been accomplished there. His mother Helvis would rule in Dobromir's stead during his absence, and she would be supported by her grandson Stanislav, who was no longer accustomed to our Croatian ways since he had been tutored by one of the Emperor's respected clergymen.

hTKyJCo.jpg

While in Jerusalem, Dobromir mainly praised the Lord but due to some inquiries he also learned more about the ways in which Emperor Drogomir had restored the Coptic Empire. In his head, ideas came into existence to raise his own family onto an Imperial throne.

KJcLcoV.jpg

By the time Dobromir returned from Jerusalem, it seemed as though messengers had outpaced him, because it was then that Dobromir learned of a Jihad that had been declared by the Caliph of the Shiites against Emperor Drogomir of New Coptia. He probably was glad that he had been gone in time. Though, in a few years, it would seem the Jihad had failed miserably.

It is known that around the time of Dobromir's pilgrimage, in contrast to his pious behaviour, he had several adulterous affairs. Only one son is known to have resulted from these affairs, by the name of Tomislav.
Part of the reason behind these affairs might be the decreasing health of Dobromir's wife, Clara, who died a year after Dobromir's return from Jerusalem. It has been suspected that Dobromir played a part in the death of Clara di Asti, but most scholars agree nowadays that the death of his wife was probably due to poor health.

zNOQ0lE.jpg

In Dobromir's absence the revolt of Viktor of Bosnia had been crushed by the Emperor and a new Duke of Bosnia had been installed. Many people trusted the Duke of Croatia more, though, and as a consequence Dobromir's Chancellor had found it easy to convince the people of Dobromir's claim on part of Bosnia. Dobromir must have seen this moment as a great opportunity to increase his power and soon war broke out.

2iU5cxb.jpg

Although Duke Gargamel of Bosnia had many allies, none of them joined him in battle and within two years the war was won and Gargamel relinquished the county of Rama to Dobromir.

iQdnKA8.jpg

The aforementioned suspicions considering Duke Dobromir's involvement in the death of his wife, were mostly due to the fact that Dobromir remarried within three years. At the time, nobody would have expected anything, as the Duke had been busy fighting the Duke of Bosnia. Remarrying was not inherently suspicious but when he remarried, it was nobody less than the Emperor's second daughter, Princess Slaine!

QLw3igZ.jpg

Curiously, within that very same year Princess Slaine's elder sister, Anna, and their only brother, François, who happened to be the second and first in line to the throne, respectively, died under suspicious circumstances. Even though back then nobody expected Duke Dobromir's involvement, it is now generally agreed upon that he did have a hand in their deaths. Following the deaths of these Imperial heirs, it was Princess Slaine who became the first in line to the Imperial throne. Thus, it is not unthinkable that she also had a hand in the deaths of her siblings.

YO1WiWw.jpg

If Duke Dobromir of Croatia truly already had the intention to become an Emperor in his own right, these circumstances might have indicated that he was not afraid of handling alternative tactics.

To be continued...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bonus feature:

4pH6gHt.jpg

nuuuuu me van ypres will lose germania. coolguy and i will crai.

So... the Emperor turned French and your son Scottish? What happened to Europe's rulers' cultures?

And long live Tuure the Great, without any player intervention!

So... the Emperor turned French and your son Scottish? What happened to Europe's rulers' cultures?

And long live Tuure the Great, without any player intervention!

Yes, the Emperor was Scottish (I believe none of his ancestors were, though) but lived in France, which is probably the reason he became French.
My son came of age before I could revert the culture conversion process, I did try.

Duke Dobromir of Croatia (Part 2: 1119-1126)

In the year following the death of Princess Anna and Prince François of Germania, a Grand Tournament was held in their honour. Being the Emperor's son-in-law, Duke Dobromir had no choice but to come and join the tournament. If he would have won, he could also have impressed the Emperor. However, the Duke was defeated fairly early on and decided to just watch and comment.

bfyzKPK.jpg

The tournament had barely concluded or Duke Dobromir received terrible news. As if God had wished to punish Dobromir for his crimes of the past year, he had taken the life of Helvis Saint-Gilles, Dobromir's mother.

ai2RWg4.jpg

However, half a year later it appeared as though one life had been taken to allow a new life to begin. Dobromir's wife, Slaine, had become pregnant. The next year a young baby girl was born. She was called Slaine, after her mother.

HSSzZDr.jpg

Around the same time, Dobromir received more good news. His Chancellor had managed to procure a claim on the county of Zadar, currently held by the Duke of Dalmatia, Willem. Soon the two Dukes met each other on the battlefield but it was Dobromir who won the day and Duke Willem ceded Zadar to the Duke of Croatia.

icz13Dh.jpg

Following this war, Dobromir distributed some counties to his sons. His second son Zvonimir gained Rama in the east, while his third son Milman gained the county of Veglia in the west.

bC7dc7R.jpg

Dobromir's eldest son Stanislav did not gain nothing. He married the younger sister of Princess Slaine of Germania, Galiena. This way the claim of the Croatians on the Empire was guaranteed.

N493Z5H.jpg

Meanwhile, a Crusade had been declared by Pope Constantine III. The goal of the Crusade had been the liberation of Anatolia of the Zoroastrian infidels. The eventual conqueror of the Anatolian peninsula was the King of Wessex, Rægenweald.

pbVsIaB.jpg

Three years after the birth of Dobromir's first daughter, his wife became pregnant once more. Several months later, however, Princess Slaine of Germania died after a period of illness and the child would never see the light of day. Slaine's younger sister Galiena, by now married to Dobromir's son Stanislav, became first in line to the throne of Germania.

h9F4OD8.jpg

Almost a year after the death of his wife, Duke Dobromir of Croatia grew terribly ill.

7HRX9Gu.jpg

Still, the Duke became more ambitious than ever in his pursuit for more power. He declared war on the King of Ioannia for the neighbouring county of Spalato.

BWXeqhe.jpg

While the troops were on the battlefield, Stanislav's wife, Princess Galiena, bore twins. The two boys were called Iain and Frang. The Empire of Germania had male heirs once more.

yWOlbyK.jpg

Three weeks later, Duke Dobromir of Croatia died of severe illness. Even though, he had not become Emperor in his own right, it appeared as though one day at least his descendants would rule over the Empire of Germania.

u6jbrvN.jpg

OGQjirr.jpg

I am very sorry for this sorry map, but I don't have access to Photoshop at the moment, so I had to manage with Paint (as can be seen from many other screenshots :p ).

The Life of Dobromir may have ended, but the Game goes on.