• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Another mouth-watering update...

One question, after the rain comes in, will it still add an effect on the infrastructure by adding in mud and what not?

I think it's a given there will be mud in HOI3 like there is HOI2.

However I never seen it much effect the units during battle, even the heavy mechanized formations. Plus it's not always in battle, I would expect moving troops in peaceful muddy terrain to take longer than normal, but all I've seen is the movement paces being the same regardless of weather. Only time I've seen movement effected is if supply chains are cut or if the infrastructure is at a low level. If there ever was an indicator for mud effecting all movement, it must've been small.

However I never seen it much effect the units during battle, even the heavy mechanized formations. Plus it's not always in battle, I would expect moving troops in peaceful muddy terrain to take longer than normal, but all I've seen is the movement paces being the same regardless of weather. Only time I've seen movement effected is if supply chains are cut or if the infrastructure is at a low level. If there ever was an indicator for mud effecting all movement, it must've been small.

muddy devastate tanks, many good tanks are stuck in muds in the 1945 German offensive in Hungary.

Obviously you haven't been paying attention. Mud is deadly in HoI2, enough so for me to simply stop all offensives. Movement is slow and attack penalties steep.

If the weather actually makes an impact on supply system as indicated that is alone worth the research and programming time!

If people want the always bitter freezing record low temps of a historical Barbarossa they can simply mod lower mean temps for Russia. Cool!

For all those wanting historical weather, typhoons, hurricanes, and hail, I think you will have to wait for the Singularity event. Then you will have the most accurate games ever, until the AI gets tired of nit-picking grognars and destroys the human race. :D

What about sandstorms?

Well,a sandstorm puts a halt on even the most modern ops,see the 2003 Iraq war.

In any case, will it be possible to mod in sandstrom-like meteorological phenomena?

Little details like this are impressive, certainly adds a degree of polish to the game.

And the Clyde, on which a considerable number of Royal Navy ships were built, is absent from the west coast. If we only get two Scottish rivers could we at least have two real ones? ;)

Somewhat depressing really that the birth river of so many of the RN's warships (and many other nations navy's) and one of the premient targets for the Luftwaffe in Scotland is not actually represented on the map.

:(

Last edited:
Scripts could probably read weather files and directly translate them to game data.

But again, it does not have to be that precise, it could be area based. Like, Eastern Europe had this weather in September 1942, North Africa had this weather in the summer of 1940 etc. etc.

I think historical weather would be poor gaming. The challenge facing leaders in WW2 was not knowing what was coming. The player already gets many advantages from knowing history, at least leave the weather random so player gets a taste of dealing with the possibility of not knowing everything... just like the historical leaders had to make choices based on limited information.

Eisenhower had prepared several speeches on the possibility of failure of D-Day and most of the time it was weather he worried about most for the initial success or failure of the landings. Meanwhile the German weather services had been predicting the weather generally successfully in the weeks leading up to D-Day and it was not to vast surprise they finally made a poor forecast. Even today weather forecasts are usually only 60-90% accurate depending on how specific the forecast is.

Indeed, Paradox should be suppressing hindsight, not making it more useful.

The Decisions are a great example of how the effects of hindsight can be ameliorated. Instead of saying "Austria becomes a part of Germany on date X" the game not only makes it uncertain, it also makes it possible for other countries to influence it (by making sure Austria doesn't turn Nazi).