• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
In fact, I'll go further and say that I'm psyched that a guy who, guessing from the fact that he first commented on this website back in 2001 but has only worked for Paradox since 2006 or so probably started out as a Paradox/strategy game obsessive the same as the rest of us, is designing this game. Everyone knows that this game will use the same engine as EUIII and HOI3, and everyone knows that both these games, whilst presumably awesome (apart from the painfully slow demo I've never played HOI3) had/have problems (world-cruising, AI-cheating, infinite-range invasions, whack-a-mole rebellions etc.) King reads the forums and knows this too. I'm not expecting miracles, but I reckon we'll all be pleasantly surprised. Like I said, I'm psyched.

It's not quite that simple. I have actually asked a programmer exactly this question and I got a lot technical stuff about shaders back.
I havent checked in detail, but I think it might be quite doable with some texture changes by the modders.

OK thanks guys, I know you will do V2 justice.

Of course, texture changing implies using the same 3d model. This would not seem to work at all.

Things are looking good :D

We are just going for single level sprites.

Will the ability to have them change over time be added though? It might seem useless without multi-era sprites actually coming with the game, but I'm sure graphical artist modders will create some that could be used in this regard after the game's release.

It's a shame that units won't advance a little in time. It'll be damn weird seeing American Civil War soldiers fighting in the trenches of France in 1918 (let alone 1932).

It seems like you could get away with having much less variety in the 'modern' uniform. Have everyone look all 19th century up to 1890 or so, and then have them switch to one a very few more generic 'modern' uniforms. Hell, you could just have two sprites: 'German' and 'Allies' that get assigned to everyone in the world when they hit the right time/tech level. Personally, I'd rather see France, the US, and Russia all using the same 'British WW1' sprites then having them run around in Union blue and other 19th century clothes.

Hopefully the hook to change sprite based on tech-level will still be in there so it can be modded. I can't speak for everyone else, but I'd much rather see you guys HALF the number of countries that get unique sprites and make a second set of 'modern' ones.

Or I'll just use counters (assuming they're included).

I'm just that picky! :D

It's a shame that units won't advance a little in time. It'll be damn weird seeing American Civil War soldiers fighting in the trenches of France in 1918 (let alone 1932).

In EUIII units sprites gets updated as technology advances. Maybe Victoria 2 has the same.

OK thanks guys, I know you will do V2 justice.

Of course, texture changing implies using the same 3d model. This would not seem to work at all.

I mean on the HoI3 sprites, the V2 ones have a slightly different format (uniform coloring and such) that are required for the shader used in V2.

And we're on.:D Not much yet, but I love the Kingly humour in this thread.;)

And we're on.:D Not much yet, but I love the Kingly humour in this thread.;)

actually as a teaser this thread is tremendous succes.

i've never read so much about sprites in my entire life :D
no hard feelings, podcat :D

Originally Posted by King View Post
We are just going for single level sprites.

Would it be possible to include the option for multi level sprites in the code? There are realy more important things to do for Paradox than doing Nx2 or Nx3 sprites even if they limit it to the more important nations. But it would be nice to have the possiblity for modders in there to add them after game release.

The code is already there after all, isnt it?

EU2 had it as well. Strange it can't be put into Vicky 2.

I think we're misinterpreting.

They can't (easily) put HoI3 sprites into Vic 2, but sprites that look different for different eras are possible. Am I right?

One of my most wanted games for the next year.

Since the Netherlands was a Great Power in Victoria I in 1836. I think that the Netherlands deserves some custom uniforms, especially if Sweden has them. :D

28jb3g5.jpg

Clearly superior to vicky 2 sprites. We need columns!

I mean on the HoI3 sprites, the V2 ones have a slightly different format (uniform coloring and such) that are required for the shader used in V2.

Is there a chance that you would release some converting tools for sprite 3d models?