• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Is there a way to view the Vassal Limit of another character (other than you)? Such information would be helpful in evaluating whether the military strength (levies) is accurate.

Since there also is not a way to view the Demesne Limit of another character, I am guessing not.

(Aside from loading the game as the other character, which is not possible in Ironman).

I just started a game with the WoL beta patch. I've never played a republic before. I started with tribal Ireland, created the Kingdom and converted to a republic after upgrading the city in my capital. I thought I'd be able to figure it out through trial and error, but I'm completely confused, particularly by the "Respect" score. My dynasty owns all the duchies and counties in the kingdom, so the other families just have a "house". But their respect scores are through the roof while mine constantly suffer. Every time I manage to increase prestige a bit to catch up, the respect score will suddenly plummet for no apparent reason. I'm the Doge, but not for much longer if I can't get my respect score up. How do these patricians with no titles get such high, stable scores while my dynasty that owns everything keeps falling behind?

The respect score reflects the respect of your heir. You need to take a closer look at the Republic tab (the tab to the right of the religion tab) that shows you all of the great houses and hover over your heir's respect score. Things like being old, having a lot of money, and prestige affects respect. Picking an old heir and giving him some land (which gives him opportunities to increase prestige and money). If you're a risk taker, they could also have them lead in battles for extra prestige.

Finally, you can add money to the election. However, I think this is a bugged in the beta right now because I think it's ignoring money-adjusted respect and going with the base respect. I've lost a couple of elections this way but, losing isn't everything. The AI seems to be very passive and always picks the default oldest dynasty member. I've been out of power for 80 years, then had the AI run through a bunch of old geezers that last less then a year and finally land on my under 40 year old grey eminence genius.

The respect score reflects the respect of your heir. You need to take a closer look at the Republic tab (the tab to the right of the religion tab) that shows you all of the great houses and hover over your heir's respect score. Things like being old, having a lot of money, and prestige affects respect. Picking an old heir and giving him some land (which gives him opportunities to increase prestige and money). If you're a risk taker, they could also have them lead in battles for extra prestige.

Thank you, but I did all of that and if anything things got worse. My heir, who is in his 60s and has two duchies and all of the counties within them, cannot compete with landless patricians in prestige. They have 4-5K respect points while my guy has around 2500. Over time he'll build up to 3500 or so, then it will plummet back down again. He's losing prestige for no reasons I can see. The landless patricians have no problem getting prestige in the 1K-2K range and keeping it there, but my superduke stays between 100-300 points. Where are they getting all that prestige from? They're not winning wars and they have no titles.

Thank you, but I did all of that and if anything things got worse. My heir, who is in his 60s and has two duchies and all of the counties within them, cannot compete with landless patricians in prestige. They have 4-5K respect points while my guy has around 2500. Over time he'll build up to 3500 or so, then it will plummet back down again. He's losing prestige for no reasons I can see. The landless patricians have no problem getting prestige in the 1K-2K range and keeping it there, but my superduke stays between 100-300 points. Where are they getting all that prestige from? They're not winning wars and they have no titles.
Patricians get Prestige from:

1. Family Palace
2. Events
3. Traits
4. Marriages

It is quite common for Patricians to be on the council of their Doge/Grand Mayor (in fact there is an opinion penalty if they are NOT on the council). And I believe being a council member provides prestige.

Also between Seniority succession and the Designated Heir title, it is much easier for Patricians to select a good heir.

Also remember that for marriage purposes, Patricians are considered to be "commoners." That means it is VERY easy to get LOTS of prestige through marrying (or marrying off siblings and/or children). Of course such marriages will cost money (one ducat for each point of prestige gained) but it is another way that Patricians can easily gain prestige. So a Patrician marrying into the family of a Baron will gain 100 Prestige, or into the family of a Count will gain 200 Prestige. While a Duke trying to do the same will need to marrying into the family of a King (for 100 Prestige) or Emperor (for 200 Prestige).

howgetsultan.jpg

What did I miss? Playing my first CK2(2nd if count restart after Almoravids constantly invaded during succession crises) game and I am learning as I go but I thought I understood that if I controlled more than 51% of the de jure lands to create a kingdom I'd at least get a claim even if current owner is still alive.

I suffered through a couple horrible civil wars (not realizing I could imprison and banish brothers as Muslim) and for awhile Zirids were kicking my armies all over the map (didn't know I could create retinues and was spending all money on mercenaries without realizing armies are way more effective with decent commanders and with lower than 60 decadence). So finally with combination of some luck and sort of trial and error my current Emir is really good and because Sunni moral authority had fallen to 0% I thought I would fight a Holy War to claim Emirate of Marrakesh from heretics and in one swoop also get enough land to finally lay claim on Kingdom of Mauritania and start down the path of restoring Sunni moral authority.

Well the first part worked but now what? I have a ridiculous amount of holdings that I'll have to figure out what to do with and despite having 3 Emir titles (Hammadid, Alger, Tangiers) I am not clear how to create King title.

I've had various Viziers trying to manufacture claims but nothing seems to happen and they die of old age without accomplishing anything despite having 16-20 diplomacy. What target are they supposed to manufacture claims against? During the first ruler's lifetime the Viziers undermined Almoravids constantly and they were fractured by civil wars leaving me unmolested to deal with my own succession crisis and Zirid invasion so the end result was lots of pretenders so maybe my Viziers manufacturing of claims targets were shifting too quickly?

I control 13 of 21 counties in de jure lands of Mauretania What am I missing?

Last edited:
Over time he'll build up to 3500 or so, then it will plummet back down again.

Perhaps, he's a bit too landed. You get respect from having lots of money in the bank so, I wonder if he's building up large sums (due to having so much land) then spending them on holding upgrades (again, since there's so many). Also, are there still tribal holdings? Is it possible he's spending prestige to upgrade those?

I control 13 of 21 counties in de jure lands of Mauretania What am I missing?
Does the title already exist (in which case you will need to usurp it instead of creating it)?

From your image it looks like the Almoravids already own a Kingdom (probably Mauretania). While the Zirids are based out of Carthage (probably Africa/Ifriqiya). Bear in mind that Muslim Kingdoms/Empires are renamed based on the dynasty so it might not always be immediately obvious which Kingdom/Empire they are holding.

There are several conditions regarding usurping titles. If it's from someone in another religious group, then you can't do it if they hold any de jure territory (though this does not seem to apply since you are both probably Muslim). However, you also can't usurp a title if the other guy is at war and it does look like the Almoravids are at war (their capital is currently occupied).

Perhaps, he's a bit too landed. You get respect from having lots of money in the bank so, I wonder if he's building up large sums (due to having so much land) then spending them on holding upgrades (again, since there's so many). Also, are there still tribal holdings? Is it possible he's spending prestige to upgrade those?

I suppose so. I hadn't thought of that. I think I've kind of fubar'ed this situation. Might need to start a new game. Thanks for the help from you and Halcyan.

Does the title already exist (in which case you will need to usurp it instead of creating it)?

However, you also can't usurp a title if the other guy is at war and it does look like the Almoravids are at war (their capital is currently occupied).

Yes, thank you- apparently 30 years of continual mucking about in Almoravid politics by my viziers has really messed up the situation. There is a final war going on between the last 2 Almoravids who both claim the other is a pretender. I think if I intervene and support 1 side's claim and they win achieving peace I'll be able to usurp. I am still getting 12 income even with breaking the demesne limit so might just try to ride it out before carving up that pile of titles so I can more clearly figure out who gets what once my dynasty is controlling a kingdom. I also messed up earlier banishing my current crop of half brothers instead of just keeping them in jail and now they are all causing decadence to spiral up without an easy way to kill them off. Luckily decadence is the lowest it has ever been due to the Holy War and I have a pile of titles I can maybe give up to some half brothers though I guess that might cause my heir some problems down the line.

I suppose so. I hadn't thought of that. I think I've kind of fubar'ed this situation. Might need to start a new game. Thanks for the help from you and Halcyan.

I'd keep at it. I don't mind losing elections because it's super easy to get back on top in a republic vs. a feudal land. You'll lose but you'll get to play as that character, inherit a crap-ton of land and cash. Once you're in control, you'll be a lot smarter than the AI that ran him. If you're lucky, the next doge or two are old and don't rule for very long and you can step in. It's happened to me a few times. That grey eminence genius only won on his 3rd try (total surprise to me, btw). The previous two doges both died after ruling for about a year each.

Yes, thank you- apparently 30 years of continual mucking about in Almoravid politics by my viziers has really messed up the situation. There is a final war going on between the last 2 Almoravids who both claim the other is a pretender. I think if I intervene and support 1 side's claim and they win achieving peace I'll be able to usurp. I am still getting 12 income even with breaking the demesne limit so might just try to ride it out before carving up that pile of titles so I can more clearly figure out who gets what once my dynasty is controlling a kingdom. I also messed up earlier banishing my current crop of half brothers instead of just keeping them in jail and now they are all causing decadence to spiral up without an easy way to kill them off. Luckily decadence is the lowest it has ever been due to the Holy War and I have a pile of titles I can maybe give up to some half brothers though I guess that might cause my heir some problems down the line.
Be careful: There are sometimes time limits that prevent you from usurping a title that was recently gained.

So you probably will NOT want to support the pretender who is trying to claim the Sultanate (because if he wins, you might need to wait several years before you can usurp it). Presumably the current Sultan has had the title for a bit longer. So if this is non-Ironman, you may want to save your game just in case.

Hi people, I'm not sure if the UI changes in the beta patch are just utterly confusing me or if something is wrong in my game. Have a look:

This is me and my betrothed
ck1.jpg

And my betrothed here, no problems in sight
ck2.jpg

Except I can't seem to be able to marry her...
ck3.jpg

I had the same issue with an earlier character, but managed to circumvent it by receiving an event from my spouses liege suggesting the betrothed get married. So... am I just utterly out of loop on how to do things with the new UI or what? Anyone have any insight on this?

This keeps happening to me aswell, Normally at the same time as the offer of the betrothal you will see the marriage offer aswell, If you do click that and just go straight for the marriage.

If not I have been having to break the betrothal and then offer marriage again. I have not been refused as yet. But I am not sure if I am getting the broken betrothal negative modifier afterwards or not.

It must be a bug.

Bug report filed with a savefile, as this apparently is affecting more people but just me.

Breaking the betrothal and just reclicking on Arrange a marriage seems to solve the issue. I don't think this is WAD. :)

Is there anything I can do with vassalized Holy Orders after converting to a heresy? I formed Kingdom of Jerusalem and vassalized Knights Templars and some other Order. Later I converted to Cathar and now they hate me and are a nuisance. I'm scared that if i grant them independence, they'll end up turning against me somehow. Also I don't see the option to banish Orders anymore... There's something called Knights of Santiago or something on one of my vassal's land and they fought against me, and I'd like to see them gone also.

This keeps happening to me aswell, Normally at the same time as the offer of the betrothal you will see the marriage offer aswell, If you do click that and just go straight for the marriage.

If not I have been having to break the betrothal and then offer marriage again. I have not been refused as yet. But I am not sure if I am getting the broken betrothal negative modifier afterwards or not.

It must be a bug.

It was pointed out in the bug thread this is actually an issue between the screen and the chair. We've just disabled the betrothal button by accident. Re-enabling it brings the alert back. Although I feel the UI is still a bit confusing in this regard.

You used to be tribal right?
Are the lands you gave to your heir still tribal? If so, he's probably using his prestige to upgrade them. While the landless patricians don't have that option, so they just rack up the prestige from being patrician

It was pointed out in the bug thread this is actually an issue between the screen and the chair. We've just disabled the betrothal button by accident. Re-enabling it brings the alert back. Although I feel the UI is still a bit confusing in this regard.

..and it should work if you ask heir liege through diplomacy (Just in case, but that 'betrothed can marry' alarm should be always enabled anyway).
As you can do diplomacy regarding courtiers or lieges' councillors (as when a landed coucillor isn't accessible through his own diplo) through the lieges' diplomacy.

I'm trying to get back in the game after a long time without playing, but there's that new option to "offer liege help to give titles", it keeps firing even if I don't click that, is there anyway to avoid? Is it firing because I'm the chancellor? I really don't care who my liege gives that land.