• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is not a list of all changes ... alas, nothing is... but some kind person has accumulated most of the patch notes on the wiki: http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Category:Patches

I didn't see the filter for traits there but I did notice one big change:

"Children can no longer pick up the religion or culture of a guardian if the guardian does not share the religion or culture of his employer"

Are you playing on 2.1.6 (TTXL) ?

Then i'd say post this in a new thread in the bug forum and additionaly upload your save file zipped/packed or link to an upload.
Sounds like a bug i read about some patches ago.

What probably occured is that your older son had not inherited or owned a county title and thus the empire and the titular kindom titles got destroyed, as your older son wasn't landed.
At least that's what i suspect. An inheritance bug/problem.

It was indeed TTXL, and it sounds like that's what happened. I would have thought my older son would get the capital of my empire to go with the title, or at least a random county. Do you know for sure whether it's a bug, or if that's WAD? If it's WAD, that's a brutal way to lose an empire.

I didn't see the filter for traits there but I did notice one big change:

"Children can no longer pick up the religion or culture of a guardian if the guardian does not share the religion or culture of his employer"

Yeah, that one was a big one. Confusing too, at first, because "employer" means "guy who is his immediate liege" for unlanded folk and "one's self" for landed folk.

It's under the 2.1.x page, specifically under 2.1.2's "minor" section:
Patch Notes said:
Now possible to search for trait names and last names in character finder.

It was indeed TTXL, and it sounds like that's what happened. I would have thought my older son would get the capital of my empire to go with the title, or at least a random county. Do you know for sure whether it's a bug, or if that's WAD? If it's WAD, that's a brutal way to lose an empire.

Well, it doesn't sound as WAD right ? The first son should have gotten the empire, the titular and at least one county title. Assuming you had several counties, that should have worked.
Probably the demesne counties were only attributed to the dejure kingdom title for whatever reason, despite it being under Gavelkind.

Just go ahead and post it over there in a new thread of your own and as mentioned attach a save file or better one before inheritance and one after.
Upload it somewhere and post a link to that.

Don't worry, it won't hurt. Just post. :)

Hey all,

I'm an EUIV player / addict that is looking to get into CK2. I've seen some lets plays of the latter, and think I'll enjoy it, so I'm planning on using the current PI sale on Steam to pick up some CK2 expansions in time for Charlemagne.

Already have the base game (picked it up in a bundle somewhere), so I'd like to get some feedback on which DLCs I should pick up. I have looked at the reviews and seen the features added, but that's not really the same as advice from people who've actually played. I've seen posts elsewhere basically saying that Legacy of Rome (for retinues) and Old Gods are the essentials, is that right?

Apologies if this should've been posted elsewhere, and if there's already a thread on this, I'd appreciate a link or even a thread title to search.

Thanks!

Old Gods adds the earlier bookmark before 1006 and makes pagans playable.
Legacy of rome adds retinues and byzantine-greek features and events

You don't really need any DLC, unless you want to play an otherwise unplayable religion or make the game easier by having retinues, though there are good to have for a new player.
Please specify what you are looking for. There are threads like your post every third day. ;)

Some mods rely on DLC, like most portrait mods.

Hey all,

I'm an EUIV player / addict that is looking to get into CK2. I've seen some lets plays of the latter, and think I'll enjoy it, so I'm planning on using the current PI sale on Steam to pick up some CK2 expansions in time for Charlemagne.

Already have the base game (picked it up in a bundle somewhere), so I'd like to get some feedback on which DLCs I should pick up. I have looked at the reviews and seen the features added, but that's not really the same as advice from people who've actually played. I've seen posts elsewhere basically saying that Legacy of Rome and Old Gods are the essentials, is that right?

Apologies if this should've been posted elsewhere, and if there's already a thread on this, I'd appreciate a link or even a thread title to search.

Thanks!
Legacy of Rome = Byzantine mechanics and retinues.
Sword of Islam = Muslims and muslim mechanics
Rajas of India = India and more mechanics
Old Gods = Pagans, pagan mechanics, and early 867 start date
The Republic = Merchant Republics and Republic mechanics
Sons of Abraham fleshes out the Christian world with extra mechanics, adds Jewish characters to play.

Ignoring the additional characters you can play, I agree, retinues from LoR and the early start date from Old Gods are pretty fun to have, but I would have included Sons of Abraham for the extra Christian dynamics. I have seen posters disagree on SoA because the Papal/Cardinal College stuff isn't really well done (it may be realistic, but if you aren't Italian or mega rich-monster blob, you can't really play Papal election), but I like the pilgrimages and other parts of SoA so it was worth it to me.

At up to 85% off, I think you might not want to miss out on Muslims, Indians, and Republics.

p.s. I was initially concerned that I was wasting my money when I bought it, but I discovered I really enjoy Aztec invaders as a late game distraction once I finally tried the Sunset Invasion DLC. I have it activated most games I play.

A majority of the posts about Sunset Invasion I have seen over time were negative because it is the "fantasy" or non-historical expansion, but the late game is a bit weak (i.e. slow) once the Mongol invasions are finished. The Black Death is a fairly rare event, so you frequently don't even see it, and game play seems to really slow down at that point.

Last edited:
You don't really need any DLC, unless you want to play an otherwise unplayable religion or make the game easier by having retinues, though there are good to have for a new player.

So the retinues basically just make the game easier? I knew they were basically standing armies, which supposedly added a new layer of strategy, but if it just flat out makes the game easier I might skip it.

Also, do the DLCs increase the map size? Like, for instance, do I need Rajahs of India for the Indian provinces to exist on the map?

Please specify what you are looking for. There are threads like your post every third day. ;)

Some mods rely on DLC, like most portrait mods.

Hahaha, yeah, kind of figured it was a question that had been asked, but wanted new feedback (as the threads I saw were pretty old). Not bothered about cosmetic DLC, pretty much just in for the gameplay.

Ignoring the additional characters you can play, I agree, retinues from LoR and the early start date from Old Gods are pretty fun to have, but I would have included Sons of Abraham for the extra Christian dynamics. I have seen posters disagree on SoA because the Papal/Cardinal College stuff isn't really well done (if you aren't Italian or mega rich-monster blob, you can't really play Papal election), but I like the pilgrimages and other parts of SoA so it was worth it to me.

Sons of Abraham sounds interesting, though I was mostly looking to get pretty much just the essentials. As I doubt I'll be playing Jewish characters much, paying for the extra events doesn't seem too great to me. That said...

At up to 85% off, I think you might not want to miss out on Muslims, Indians, and Republics.

You have a very valid point there, sir!

p.s. I was initially concerned that I was wasting my money when I bought it, but I discovered I really enjoy Aztec invaders as a late game distraction once I finally tried the Sunset Invasion DLC. I have it activated most games I play.

Actually, forgot to mention Sunset Invasion. I'm pretty much set on buying that, primarily because I kind of want to try out High Americans in EUIV. Which reminds me that I need to pick up the converter as well...

Thanks to both of you for the feedback!

So the retinues basically just make the game easier? I knew they were basically standing armies, which supposedly added a new layer of strategy, but if it just flat out makes the game easier I might skip it.
It does add a new layer of strategy, but it also functionally makes the game easier since the AI can't optimize the retinues the way a human can.

Also, do the DLCs increase the map size? Like, for instance, do I need Rajahs of India for the Indian provinces to exist on the map?
No. The full map comes with the base game. The Muslim world and India (and Pagans, etc.) take up soo much of that map though. You want to play anywhere you want right? ;)

Sons of Abraham sounds interesting, though I was mostly looking to get pretty much just the essentials. As I doubt I'll be playing Jewish characters much, paying for the extra events doesn't seem too great to me.
Fair enough. I like it because it mostly gives me more things to do in peacetime, but you are right, it doesn't change core gameplay.

Thanks to both of you for the feedback!
You're welcome!

Last edited:

They are better than levies and you can organise them in a way which makes combat tactics more efficent and a better chance to get the good tactics used.
You can have them raised and declare war, which you can't with levies etc., etc.
See a current thread on why they need some change: http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...Thoughts-after-running-games-without-retinues
I'd advise to get LoR though, as retinues are essential for republics for instance.

As has been mentioned , the map is in the game as are the very most files already on your harddisk. The DLCs for the most part only activate these files.

Sons of Abraham sounds interesting, though I was mostly looking to get pretty much just the essentials.

Adds pilgrimages and money from the jews among other stuff.

There is a 75% discount sale on Steam today. Rememeber, a 75% sale is not everyday. 36,25 euros for everything is a bargain.

So I just finished my first game of CK2. I thought it would be a fun place to try out EU4, so I bought it and the converter DLC. I loaded my autosave up, clicked the 'export' button, everything stopped, and I waited fora while, and then my house history started to roll again. I exited to menu, quit the game, and started up EU4. I had thought it would turn my game into an EU4 mod, but the mod tab on the EU4 launcher was greyed out, so I couldn't click it. I started up EU4, but there was no savegame from my CK2 game. What am I doing wrong?

What determines the cost, in gold, of creating a title? I've noticed the price starts just below a large round number for each title level and can drop to half that round number for each level. What makes it drop?