• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Excuse me for the obviously silly question but... Is it possible for homosexual men to have children? The -20% fertility rating would suggest that they can.
It is very possible. I had one homosexual man who had five kids.

I also had a homosexual wife who had two with me before I died.

Don't take this as any sort of guarantee, though :)

I have a quick question...

I currently have more than half counties for the kingdom as part of my independent duchy. For a while, I had the option to usurp the king title, however, the option is gone even though I still have more than half the counties. Does anyone know why this might be?
The other answer is right - and another possibility is that the title was usurped recently. If that happens I think there is a five year gap before it can be usurped again. Hovering over the "Usurp" or "Create" button will always tell the reason.

Can somebody tell write down a list of all of the available empires(regardless of religion), and which areas are theirs by right? So far I only know of the HRE, Byzantines, and Spanish Empire. I am still confused about how the muslims work.

Latin Empire (Titular - no dejure)

So what are the conditions that you need to meet before creating it?

Thank you a lot by the way.

Last edited:
Can somebody tell write down a list of all of the available empires(regardless of religion), and which areas are theirs by right? So far I only know of the HRE, Byzantines, and Spanish Empire. I am still confused about how the muslims work.
Within the game, click on the dejure empires button for the map mode at the bottom right and it will show you them.

Here's a list anyway:

Byzantine Empire (Croatia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Wallachia, Greece, Anatolia, Armenia, Azerbaijan)
Holy Roman Empire (Germany, Bohemia (?), Bavaria, Lotharingia, Frisia)
Francia (France, Burgundy, Brittany, Aquitaine)
Hispania (Navarra, Aragon, Castille, Gailcia, Leon, Portugal, Andalusia)
Latin Empire (Titular - no dejure)
Scandinavia (Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Finland)
Britannia (England, Scotland, Wales, Ireland)
Persian Empire (Persia, Mesopotamia, unsure of rest)
Arabian Empire (Arabia, Syria, Egypt, Africa, Mauretania)
Russia (Rus', Ruthenia, Perm', Cumania (?))

Hi ! First message here, quick question :

As a king of Ireland, agnatic-cognatic primogeniture, I have 3 daughters, no son.

Got each of them in matrilineal marriages, and for some reason my third daughter is now the heir to the kingdom. Shouldn't it be the Daughter 1 ? She was the heir earlier, it changed recently.

I'm guessing that may be because Daughter 3 is the only one with a son at the moment, but it's not clear. If my eldest daughter had a son now, would she become the heir again ?

Thanks !

I heard primogeniture succession is a bit buggy this patch.

2 questions:
1) Antipope, how to get rid of him without pressing his claim? Since he is also an Archbishop and I don't want to lose the county.
2) I can't appoint my heir as a successor to a Bishopric, although he has an ecclesiastical education. Do you need a minimum learning to be appointable? I really would want my second son to inherit...

If I am playing as a vassal with a high rating in one attribute and my liege asks me to join their council, is it a good idea to accept or not? Are there any bonuses to being on their council? Do you get paid more, or gain prestige? Do they have a higher opinion of you? I'd imagine being their marshal would but you in danger, so that might be a negative aspect. Are there any other negative aspects?

You gain a little cash and prestige. (And a bonus for plots against your liege I believe.)

Actually being marshal seems like a lower risk, since you'll be busy training troops or whatever while your liege and his other vassals are out leading troops. Otherwise you would be picked often to lead troops because of your high martial ability.

I have another one... and I apologize in advance because I know that I must be missing something really obvious...

My image of my leader in the left hand corner is behind bars, which I am guessing means that he is prisoner somewhere, however, I cannot seem to find out where in order to try and ransom him.

What can I do to figure this out?

I have another one... and I apologize in advance because I know that I must be missing something really obvious...

My image of my leader in the left hand corner is behind bars, which I am guessing means that he is prisoner somewhere, however, I cannot seem to find out where in order to try and ransom him.

What can I do to figure this out?

If you hover your mouse over the small cage icon on the top left corner of your portrait it will tell you who imprisoned you.

However AFAIK you cannot offer to pay for your ransom, you have to wait untill your jailer offers you to be released.

If you hover your mouse over the small cage icon on the top left corner of your portrait it will tell you who imprisoned you.

However AFAIK you cannot offer to pay for your ransom, you have to wait untill your jailer offers you to be released.

You can offer Ransom for yourself if you have the money, I did so many times.

As a king of Ireland, agnatic-cognatic primogeniture, I have 3 daughters, no son.

Got each of them in matrilineal marriages, and for some reason my third daughter is now the heir to the kingdom. Shouldn't it be the Daughter 1 ? She was the heir earlier, it changed recently.

I'm guessing that may be because Daughter 3 is the only one with a son at the moment, but it's not clear. If my eldest daughter had a son now, would she become the heir again ?

Thanks !

Exactly. Since your game doesn`t have male, your laws put women as heir. But if your third one has a male child, she will be the heir...for now, because her heir is male.

Thanks !
You are right - the game is choosing the third daughter because she has a son. If your eldest or second daughter had a son now, she would become the heir.

Hello, I'm quite new to this game, so this might be a stupid one -

How do I get my vassals to like me other than giving them expensive gifts or titles?

Feasts?

Any other way?
To make vassals like you, you can also release prisoners (+10 with all vassals, for releasing a realm member), defeat rebels (+25 with those affected, but requires rebels to appear), and help them fulfill their ambitions (+15 I think). You can also press their claims (+100), join their external wars (+25 iirc), go on a Crusade (+30), be attacked by heathens (+30, but requires heathens to declare war on you). You can also send your chancellor to improve diplomatic relations (+25), but beware as this has a small chance to backfire.

Certain traits in a liege (such as Just, Ambitious, Brave, and some others) make all the vassals like you (+10 each), but you only have limited control over your traits as an adult ruler. Having a high Diplomacy trait helps a lot also, but you don't have much control over that either when you're already ruling.

When I was first playing I tried to make all my vassals like me as much as possible, but as I played more I realized that this was not so necessary. Now, I only make much effort to improve a relationship if someone is threatening to rebel at a bad time, or if I really want control over their child's education. Note that I am running a very large empire--this strategy would be less appropriate for smaller realms.

I heard primogeniture succession is a bit buggy this patch.

2 questions:
1) Antipope, how to get rid of him without pressing his claim? Since he is also an Archbishop and I don't want to lose the county.
2) I can't appoint my heir as a successor to a Bishopric, although he has an ecclesiastical education. Do you need a minimum learning to be appointable? I really would want my second son to inherit...

answer 1: sorry can`t say, I don`t play antipope
answer 2: my guess is that your crown authority is less than high status and I`m not sure if you can appoint your heir at all

I have read that you can't appoint first sons as bishops using the Religion screen.

You can, however, use the diplomacy screen and grant them a landed title that is a bishopric. So in order to make your first son a bishop, you'd have to revoke a bishopric (if you didn't have a spare one) and grant it to your son. Note that this incurs a tyranny relationship penalty with your vassals.

There is no minimum Learning stat to be a bishop, and no particular education type is required.