• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I'm playing as an independent Italy and I've taken most of Spain. Occasionally my vassals become independent for no apparent reason. They don't declare war, I get no pop up and no claim on the lands.

This has only happened with two duchies the first was the Republic of Pisa. This wasn't a problem as i was their de jure liege and they accepted my offer of vasselization. It's now started happening with Leon. I've only recently conquered it and gave it to a distant kinsman. The trouble is they won't accept my offer of vasselization as I'm not their de jure liege. I've got no CB on them and no way of re-claiming my lands. I've tried creating the Kingdom of Leon but this isn't working either they still break free. Any suggestion for why this is happening and how to stop it?

Are you absolutely sure that you had no popups for vassal inheritance warnings or for when the duke died and was succeeded? Does the now independent Duke of Leon hold any other titles?
Yeah I'm certain there's no pop ups. What seems to be happening is a vassal revolting against the liege and winning. With the Leon one the Duke of Granada was pressing a claim for someone in his court. When he won the war the duchy became independent. With the Pisa one I can't work it out as it's happened again. What I have seen is that the Duchy was usurped but what I can't tell is why they became independent.

I give up. Does anyone know how to transfer vassals that don't show up in the list? I'm the emperor ofSscandinavia and want to transfer some dukes to the king of Sweden for the dejure-drift, but the list only shows my count and baron-level vassals. I know there must be a console cheat for it, but I can't find it in the cheats thread.

Is there a way to edit a save to join someone's war?

Playing as Leon, my ally Aragon got holy war'd by the Hammadid, and I pitched in to stop it. Things were going pretty well, then my ruler died of old age. His 5-year old grandson inherited, and the Almoravids declared war on me, thinking that the regency would be weak.

It wasn't until I had smashed two or three Almoravid stacks through deft maneuvering that I realized I was no longer part of the original defense of Aragon. Now I can't rejoin it until all my levies are standing down, which won't happen until the Almoravids have been put in their place. There's a serious danger of Aragon folding without my assistance. :(

I could try to go back to an earlier autosave when I was still part of the first war, but I don't like the idea of reviving my older ruler. Wouldn't want him to live many more years and cheat my way out of the joys of regency!

I give up. Does anyone know how to transfer vassals that don't show up in the list? I'm the emperor ofSscandinavia and want to transfer some dukes to the king of Sweden for the dejure-drift, but the list only shows my count and baron-level vassals. I know there must be a console cheat for it, but I can't find it in the cheats thread.
If the dukes aren't dejure part of his kingdom already and also your direct vassals then it won't let you transfer their vassalage. Without editing the save game, there isn't any way to do this that I know of and I don't think there are any console commands to adjust who is whose liege.

how do you cancel law change voting?
If you go to the laws screen and click the shield for the place you're trying to change laws you will see a bit at the bottom that shows the progress of the law change and there will be a little red cross you can click to cancel the change. If you are asking how to change the way you voted in your liege's attempt to change laws then there is no way that I know of to do this.

If you go to the laws screen and click the shield for the place you're trying to change laws you will see a bit at the bottom that shows the progress of the law change and there will be a little red cross you can click to cancel the change. If you are asking how to change the way you voted in your liege's attempt to change laws then there is no way that I know of to do this.

I can not click on that cross. It is written "we are obligated to try this law change through" or stg like that for decades..

Last edited:
I have been trying to convert a stubborn Sunni county to Catholicism for 37 years.

(If it matters: All adjacent counties are Catholic. My chaplains over the period have been Catholics with between 20 and 23 Learning. My chaplains over the years have been set to "Convert Populace" and they are always stationed in the county in question. I am holding this county personally, as well as ten others that are all Catholic. I am Catholic and so are all my vassals. Everyone who holds land or is at court in the county is Catholic, except the adolescent son of a recently-appointed baron in a newly-built barony, who is Orthodox Christian.)

Is this just a streak of terrible luck (37 years...!!!) with the religious conversion, or is there anything else I can do to speed it up? Which of the factors I mentioned actually matter in the conversion? (Is it just the Learning stat of the chaplain that increases the conversion chance?)

Also, I noticed during this time that one of my vassals had a chaplain with all-zero stats who converted his county to Catholicism within a month of our conquest of it. (/jealous) Was this just lucky? Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I have been trying to convert a stubborn Sunni county to Catholicism for 37 years.

(If it matters: All adjacent counties are Catholic. My chaplains over the period have been Catholics with between 20 and 23 Learning. My chaplains over the years have been set to "Convert Populace" and they are always stationed in the county in question. I am holding this county personally, as well as ten others that are all Catholic. I am Catholic and so are all my vassals. Everyone who holds land in the county is Catholic, except the adolescent son of a recently-appointed baron in a newly-built barony, who is Orthodox Christian.)

Is this just a streak of terrible luck (37 years...!!!) with the religious conversion, or is there anything else I can do to speed it up? Which of the factors I mentioned actually matter in the conversion? (Is it just the Learning stat of the chaplain that increases the conversion chance?)

Also, I noticed during this time that one of my vassals had a chaplain with all-zero stats who converted his county to Catholicism within a month of our conquest of it. (/jealous) Was this just lucky? Thanks for your help.

Seems like it's just bad luck, I fear :/. If only factor that count influence it is the Religious Authority of Catholicism and Sunni Islam (page 4 in the ledger), but if that really had that big an influence in this case, I doubt Mr 0-learning could've converted his province.

Seems like it's just bad luck, I fear :/. If only factor that count influence it is the Religious Authority of Catholicism and Sunni Islam (page 4 in the ledger), but if that really had that big an influence in this case, I doubt Mr 0-learning could've converted his province.
Page 4 in the ledger says:
  • Catholic Moral Authority: 100.0, Size: 490
  • Sunni Moral Authority: 68.3, Size: 94
(My allies or I hold most of the land that used to be Sunni.) So yeah, terrible luck I guess...

(Side note: Here is a picture of Mr. Zero Learning Curve completing his conversion, a month after I took Tamdoult. I did not trust a word he said when I saw his stats, but the map agrees, so...)
U373k.jpg

I want to change the succession law to Primogeniture and I see there are two options: Either to have high crown authority (or higher), or "NOT Affected by a Crown Law title". What does this last option mean and how can I make it come true?

I want to change the succession law to Primogeniture and I see there are two options: Either to have high crown authority (or higher), or "NOT Affected by a Crown Law title". What does this last option mean and how can I make it come true?

You have to be an independent duke not subject to crown laws of an empire or kingdom. Take Brittany for example.

OK, the following happened to me now for the second time, maybe someone has an idea why:
I'm king. One of my vassals attacks his duke to "depose" him. When the war is over, the duchy suddenly is indepedent!
To be more specific: The vassal won the war, made the old duke stand down and hand his duchy to his sister (he had no children). And the sister now is independent and I don't even have a claim.
Has anyone an idea WTF happened here? I'm inclined to log in with one of these vassals and try to get rid of this problem ...

Can someone please explain this to me? When you are king and you marry a countess or duchess from another realm, shouldnt something happen? Shouldnt her land become yours? Or shouldnt she at least lose her lands because in the terms of the game, the spouse moves to husbands place, doesnt she? In real I belive this things happend, at least I know about some uniting of spanish kingdoms or something because a queen of one and a king of the other got married?

When you are king and you marry a countess or duchess from another realm, shouldnt something happen? Shouldnt her land become yours?
Only in real life ;)

Or shouldnt she at least lose her lands because in the terms of the game, the spouse moves to husbands place, doesnt she?
Here is a story from my game about that. I was playing as King of Scotland and my wife had a weak, uninheritable claim on Sweden. Suddenly, when we were both old, the king of Sweden (not part of our kingdom) unexpectedly died. His children were all dead and his only living grandchild was a small girl. The small girl became Queen of Sweden.

I declared war on Sweden to install my wife as queen, and won. She moved to her court in Uppland, but sometimes she would come to my court at Gowrie.

So our only living child, our daughter, was the heir to my throne and the heir to my wife's throne. Both thrones were following agnatic-cognatic primogeniture. When our (childless...it runs in the family) daughter inherited Sweden, she needed to grant the throne of Sweden to her cousin and heir for the throne of Scotland--otherwise her heir for Sweden would have been my wife's brother, the King of Denmark.

When I (the King of Scotland) died and my daughter inherited my throne, my wife (Queen of Sweden) was still alive. There seems to be a little bug in the game about courts when female rulers are married to male rulers--because my wife went into limbo when this happened. She never was listed as being in a court or any location for the rest of her life. This made her very troublesome for my daughter (and everyone else...hehe...Danish queen of Sweden) to assassinate, as I could not use any courtiers to assist.

Anyway that is a little story about female rulers as spouses, and courts, for you :)

I have a quick question...

I currently have more than half counties for the kingdom as part of my independent duchy. For a while, I had the option to usurp the king title, however, the option is gone even though I still have more than half the counties. Does anyone know why this might be?

I have a quick question...

I currently have more than half counties for the kingdom as part of my independent duchy. For a while, I had the option to usurp the king title, however, the option is gone even though I still have more than half the counties. Does anyone know why this might be?

You must not be at war. I think (but I`m not sure) that the owner of the remaining counties must not be at war as well. Keep your mouse on the usurp button to show a tooltip explaining what`s wrong. If you try to create a kingdom, some titles require a specific religion or culture.

EDIT: if you mean that you can`t find the king title to usurp, check de jure checkbox and look for the Coat-of-arms in upper right (maybe) :mellow:

Last edited:
I'm playing as the Duke of Lombardy. The Italians are revolting against the Kaiser like they always do but I have a claim on the Duchy of Verona and would like to press it but I fear that if I manage to become independent I'd have to face the Kaiser by myself after the War of Independence is over and done with. I married my son to Matilda of Tuscany and if she loses I'm afraid she'll lose her lands and my son won't inherent them. So should I help the Duchess and bide my time for the title of Verona so I'll get all her lands later, or should I side with the Kaiser, press my claim now, and hope that my lord won't take all her lands so my son's son inherent's some land?

I'm playing as the Duke of Lombardy. The Italians are revolting against the Kaiser like they always do but I have a claim on the Duchy of Verona and would like to press it but I fear that if I manage to become independent I'd have to face the Kaiser by myself after the War of Independence is over and done with. I married my son to Matilda of Tuscany and if she loses I'm afraid she'll lose her lands and my son won't inherent them. So should I help the Duchess and bide my time for the title of Verona so I'll get all her lands later, or should I side with the Kaiser, press my claim now, and hope that my lord won't take all her lands so my son's son inherent's some land?

Assassinate 1-3 Kaisers and while HRE is in chaos, get your Verona. ;)