• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What makes you say there is no such option in CK2? There certainly was last time I checked (right click portrait, right click the "character" button - toggle message interest)

I expected it in the right click menu (right clicking on portrait).

If it's in, I'm happy :)

What makes you say there is no such option in CK2? There certainly was last time I checked (right click portrait, right click the "character" button - toggle message interest)
:eek:hmy:
I'm trying it and nothing happens, am I missing something really obvious??

Johan Lerström - Programmer
"I love it when I notice that some random character in the periphery does something interesting or has something interesting happen to him or her. I sometimes keep track of what characters do their entire lives, following them around as they marry their hunchback niece and murder their brothers in an effort to reach their goals. Keeping an eye on your neighbors is not only an interesting distraction but also a great way to figure out who is vulnerable and who might become vulnerable with some nudging in the right direction."

This reminds me; will we ever get a 'history' page for characters? Even if they only show the basic stuff like how someone died?

Kallocain – Linda Kiby – Associate Producer[/B]
"Walking around in the office and hearing what people discuss during playing sessions. The situations can become so bizarre and weird. "I have too many sons, I can't give them all land! I'll need to marry them off or kill them I guess." Gives a certain flair to the conversations nowadays."

We have to be careful, though, telling my secretary that my sister died in the Oubliette might have given the wrong impression (I was King of Leon - you know she deserved it).

Tegus – Fredrik Zetterman – Programmer
"My favorite feature about CK2 is the succession wars. There you are, running your kingdom, everything is going great. Then BOOM - your ruler dies, half of your kingdom rises in rebellion when the evil twin brother tries to wrest the crown from your heir. It makes the game really interesting, because you really need to think about which titles you give to whom. You can't really overpower your heir too much either, since he might actually try to take the crown _before_ the current king dies :)"

This, I think, is the key - you've never "won" the game. There's always danger, real, legitimate, understandable danger. Face it, nearly all of us gamers play with an eye to removing all of the threats to our success. That's how you win. Yet when we succeed in doing that, so that all we have left is to decide how much effort to put into conquering the entire map, the game becomes dull. Taking everything is just work. If the risks to our empire are random, that's unsatisfying. If the risk is small, it's not really much to worry about, and then we've "won" and it's game over whether it's 1166 or 1300. However, if the risks feel legitimate (and having had the Byzantine Empire fall apart in a few months, I can say they do), and if they can stay large enough to make life tough (and there's always a risk that we'll learn too much), then the game keeps you on your toes right until the end.

From what I've seen so far, CK2 looks to be around 1000 different playable character starting points, where even the most stable regime can fall apart at the seams in one or two generations, and where the threats all feel legitimate, both internal and external. Throw in the fact that any one single character starting point can rapidly turn into a different game experience, even if you attempt the same strategy, and I think that it was entirely rational for me to take the day off tomorrow.

The downside? Well, I turn 54 in two weeks. I know from CK2 that have only a few years left in me. I have only one son (and three unmarried daughters!), and their mother, my current wife, is my age. Obviously, I need a new wife pronto, and somebody to go stand in the neighbor's lawn faking some documents. It's a wonder nobody ever spots them doing that.

Kallocain – Linda Kiby – Associate Producer
"Walking around in the office and hearing what people discuss during playing sessions. The situations can become so bizarre and weird. "I have too many sons, I can't give them all land! I'll need to marry them off or kill them I guess." Gives a certain flair to the conversations nowadays."

I can't help to think that Paradox sometimes sounds like an awsome place to work

Great! Need to try this when I get home. :)

I love how Johan basks in godly light. Radianting awesomeness towards us lesser beings

This reminds me; will we ever get a 'history' page for characters? Even if they only show the basic stuff like how someone died?

Yes, and this was in Rome. I think it would be a perfect addition to the genealogical tree. The minor courtiers who never do nothing would of course don't have this kind of information, or else the game would make most computer explode, but this would be great for the important character. (maybe in a separate file)

Also, I just though about it, what about adding filters in the character research place? And the abiblity to open two character screens at the same time would aslo be wonderful.

THAT is a good hideout ! the other options are interesting too.

must be documented.

Tegus – Fredrik Zetterman – Programmer
"My favorite feature about CK2 is the succession wars. There you are, running your kingdom, everything is going great. Then BOOM - your ruler dies, half of your kingdom rises in rebellion when the evil twin brother tries to wrest the crown from your heir. It makes the game really interesting, because you really need to think about which titles you give to whom. You can't really overpower your heir too much either, since he might actually try to take the crown _before_ the current king dies :)"

Picture of everyone working on CKII in one way or another:

View attachment 47236

This is also my favourite thing. It's very funny see a great ruler that form a empire, a kingdom very poverful and after the heir have the problems to stabilize this and often he does make aarrangements with the vassals. :D
The nations in EU3 are very more stable.

The things that i personnaly love is the mercenary rebellions: so fun to see a condottiere who become your new liege!

Its all good, so impressive. I love the inter-dynastic plots and rebellions, as you say when your ruler dies all chaos usually breaks loose with sometimes years of civil conflict. Realistic and fun! I just had my rulers wife from another country murder him (undetected from my spymaster at first) and then she goes back and marries someone from her own country. Later on I picked up the kinslayer trait on her...which led to an assassination that succeeded. Just fun and quite gruesome at the same time. The game contains as much excitement, intrigue, plots and counterplots that is as almost as interesting as reading a historical crime or detective novel, with a family dynastic machinations thrown in for good measure. Henry VIII has nothing on this game.

Its kept me well and truly hooked, caught like a fish on a line just dangling there for more bait. I have not been this excited about a PC game for many years, so this proves you have done something right...and pulled it off with finesse!

Kudos.

The downside? Well, I turn 54 in two weeks. I know from CK2 that have only a few years left in me. I have only one son (and three unmarried daughters!), and their mother, my current wife, is my age. Obviously, I need a new wife pronto, and somebody to go stand in the neighbor's lawn faking some documents. It's a wonder nobody ever spots them doing that.

Actually with only one son you sound pretty safe with respect to succession. In my case I fear I'd need to put the eldest in a bishopric or otherwise out of the succession to keep him safe from "hunting accidents" since the younger son is developing pretty good Intrigue and Martial stats and isn't the kind to put up with inconvenient primogeniture or seniority - if this were in game.

Loved the pic! Just wondering where I can get my hands on one of those Paradox tees that someone in the photo's wearing!
That'd make my day.

You're releasing a game called Crusader Kings, and none of you have a proper Crusaders' beard?
Shame on you, shaaaaame!

Nah, just excited. High on coffee, 5 hours past regular bedtime, and waiting for GG to open the doors for the horde. I hope you sell 9+ million copies, live long and prosper.