• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I found the tutorial annoyingly difficult despite (or perhaps because) of having been playing CiM1 a while: I know it's difficult to get this right especially with complex strategy games, everyone's focused on getting the game right for release etc, but if it ain't done well people will say "Hell, I can't make head or tail of this" and tell all their friends that. Paradox titles like EU and HoI also have this problem with in-game tutorials but they do make sure they have comprehensive manuals and sometimes even more comprehensive strategy guides available from the get go.

The second problem new players are going to face is the huge first map in the campaign - it's basically like falling off a cliff after the limited tutorial - "Where do I start?". It would have been better IMO to have a more detailed mini-scenario to work through first with some specific suggestions as to routes etc via the mission system. Also, IMO, specific details about game mechanics such as how to create a route, how to lay track etc are better dealt with as a series of short videos accessible from the main menu so you can first watch and then do, then watch again if you forget. Galactic Civilizations 2 had this and it worked really well.

Anyway, specifics on what I found annoying and difficult in the tutorial as is:

1. By the time you get to laying tram and metro tracks it's night time which makes it extra difficult to get the fiddly bits right (even if you noticed the option to brighten night time).
2. The ability to bulldoze errors on your first tram track appears to be switched off (although restored for the metro line)
3. It is almost impossible to see where you have and have not successfully laid tram tracks when you are zoomed out, leading to an almost inevitable unholy mess and total confusion.
4. There seem to be some finicky rules about connecting sections of tram track and these are not explained at all. When you select a section of double track only one side is highlighted. Most often when I tried to get the track to go round a corner I managed to connect the right track to the left which scuppered the attempt and meant I had to restart the tutorial (no save). The tutorial should explain why it works this way, what you must do to get a regular double track to turn a corner, and how you select individual sides for special purposes, a loop for example. It's too easy to get completely wrong.
5. I wasted a lot of time attempting to place a metro depot underground. The tutorial should explain you can't do this and suggest you put it on the edge of the city.
6. There is no mention at all in the tutorial about the page-up/page-down level control which is necessary to know to build a metro in the tutorial. I found it eventually in the manual after much confusion and another restart (Grrrr).
7. The one-click propose extend line, another click propose extend it further, double-click actually build it (and pay the money) mechanism is not obvious and should be explained.
8. It is not explained that you have to have either a loop or a second depot to turn metro trains around. This is totally counter-intuitive as IRL all metro trains AFAIK can be driven from both ends. That's what happens on the London Underground anyway. More frustration and another restart (double Grrrr)
9. The final frustration, having established you had to make a loop to get your metro train to return to base and therefore establish a line, was getting the track to loop round and merge with itself. I tried this for ages trying to figure out why it wouldn't do it. I burned 200m in loans trashing the track and rebuilding it in various ways to no effect. I got really, really fed up with that red line that told me "Sorry, mate, no can do(ha ha ha)". Eventually I hit on the idea of trying to make a small spar off the target for the merge which to my amazement it let me do, and then to my relief it let me join loop end onto that. If this is some sort of bug IMO it needs fixing licketyspit, or if not the exact instructions for doing this need to spelled out in the tutorial in terms that idiots like me can understand.

I agree with every word of this. As a new player to this series I was totally confused by the "tutorial" which seemed to presume that I already knew how to play the game. This is a difficult game and for a new player it seems extremely daunting when you are told to add a depot and some track without it telling you where etc. As for the metro tutorial (non-existent) considering this aspect of the game seems to have confused a lot of people, even some experienced players, there should have been a seperate tutorial for this alone.
I know SC 5 has come in for a lot of criticism but you can't fault their tutorial city at the start of the game. I expected more from this game.

"Depots should not have to be included in a route. They should be placed independently and vehicles should have service intervals or require service when they get below a certain percentage. When this percentage is reached the vehicle calls at the depot the next time it passes through."
The depot system was a design choice we made very early on. We felt having lines connected to specific depots gives the game more depth and a tactical element it wouldn't have with individual depots

In this case, Would it not have been better if the depots also acted as passenger stops too? as we are forced to use them in a route. or at least, the advanced/larger depots to act as stops as well.

"1. By the time you get to laying tram and metro tracks it's night time which makes it extra difficult to get the fiddly bits right (even if you noticed the option to brighten night time)."
You can also construct when the game is paused.

"2. The ability to bulldoze errors on your first tram track appears to be switched off (although restored for the metro line)"
This could be improved, I'll add it to the fix list.

"3. It is almost impossible to see where you have and have not successfully laid tram tracks when you are zoomed out, leading to an almost inevitable unholy mess and total confusion."
Maybe you could build them when zoomed a little closer? The game cannot see when your tram tracks are laid like you want them to, so it's hard to add some kind of highlight that would only show when constructing.

"4. There seem to be some finicky rules about connecting sections of tram track and these are not explained at all. When you select a section of double track only one side is highlighted. Most often when I tried to get the track to go round a corner I managed to connect the right track to the left which scuppered the attempt and meant I had to restart the tutorial (no save). The tutorial should explain why it works this way, what you must do to get a regular double track to turn a corner, and how you select individual sides for special purposes, a loop for example. It's too easy to get completely wrong."
The double track can sometimes be quite a hassle! Basically, you have to click on the section you want to connect and then the section you want to connect it to. You are correct that the tutorial is not very specific on this, I'm sorry for that.

"5. I wasted a lot of time attempting to place a metro depot underground. The tutorial should explain you can't do this and suggest you put it on the edge of the city."
Underground depots were something the engine cannot handle, every building has to be on top of ground.

"6. There is no mention at all in the tutorial about the page-up/page-down level control which is necessary to know to build a metro in the tutorial. I found it eventually in the manual after much confusion and another restart (Grrrr)."
The page up and page down controls are visible in the tool tip when building metro tracks or roads, but apparently they are quite hard to see. I'll see what we can do about this.

"7. The one-click propose extend line, another click propose extend it further, double-click actually build it (and pay the money) mechanism is not obvious and should be explained."
You are correct, it should be explained. I'll see if I can add it to the tutorial.

"8. It is not explained that you have to have either a loop or a second depot to turn metro trains around. This is totally counter-intuitive as IRL all metro trains AFAIK can be driven from both ends. That's what happens on the London Underground anyway. More frustration and another restart (double Grrrr)"
I'll edit the tutorial! Sorry for your trouble!

"9. The final frustration, having established you had to make a loop to get your metro train to return to base and therefore establish a line, was getting the track to loop round and merge with itself. I tried this for ages trying to figure out why it wouldn't do it. I burned 200m in loans trashing the track and rebuilding it in various ways to no effect. I got really, really fed up with that red line that told me "Sorry, mate, no can do(ha ha ha)". Eventually I hit on the idea of trying to make a small spar off the target for the merge which to my amazement it let me do, and then to my relief it let me join loop end onto that. If this is some sort of bug IMO it needs fixing licketyspit, or if not the exact instructions for doing this need to spelled out in the tutorial in terms that idiots like me can understand."
I'm not sure if I understand your problem correctly, it could be a bug. I'll have a look at it. I personally build circular lines where the depot is connect with a triangle shaped instersection and they work really well.

Please change the bus stop catch area. CIM1 model would work. It is horrible and annoying when you try to add a stop i a area where are stops nearby.

Screenshot_2013-04-05_18-59-30.jpg

Like this I think he means... once you get loads of stops in an area, the additive effect of the shader used for the catchment area results in total occlusion of the area you may be looking to place another stop in.

The lights will stay on during the day. Safety first!

Could it not be an option to add a checkbox in the settings menu to have something like "Headlights Day/Night Cycle"? That way you get to have headlights on all the time and everyone who wants day/night cycling headlights can have their way too!

Just a suggestion :)

And while you're messing about with the settings menu, could we have a slider for Night Time Brightness, I feel it's still too light at night and I'd like the option to make it darker... unless ofc I can mess with this in the mod tools coming? :)

"9. The final frustration, having established you had to make a loop to get your metro train to return to base and therefore establish a line, was getting the track to loop round and merge with itself. I tried this for ages trying to figure out why it wouldn't do it. I burned 200m in loans trashing the track and rebuilding it in various ways to no effect. I got really, really fed up with that red line that told me "Sorry, mate, no can do(ha ha ha)". Eventually I hit on the idea of trying to make a small spar off the target for the merge which to my amazement it let me do, and then to my relief it let me join loop end onto that. If this is some sort of bug IMO it needs fixing licketyspit, or if not the exact instructions for doing this need to spelled out in the tutorial in terms that idiots like me can understand."
I'm not sure if I understand your problem correctly, it could be a bug. I'll have a look at it. I personally build circular lines where the depot is connect with a triangle shaped instersection and they work really well.

I've also had difficulty when forming loops at the end of a line, when you try to loop the line around to the track you've already laid (this when you don't wish to use a depot to terminate the line), trying to get the track to form a junction is very much a hit and miss affair. I think half the problem with this is the occluded view you have in underground mode, what with the grid lines and the roads in the way, it's difficult to gauge just what angle you're approaching at to form the junction.

Steve

Last edited:
Building a metro loop is a nightmare, took me 20 minutes to connect the rails and it has more length than my entire route, depots can't be under/overground and they require too much space...

Please, make the autoreverse line withouts depots/loops available, like CiM1! I can see the vast majority of the players want this feature! Or, at least, make the depots able to be placed underground/overground.

Last edited:
After a bit of try and fail, i finally don't find really difficult to form a small loop at the end of a line... maybe these 2 cents tips can be helpful:

- the loop have to be made with a single track line (or a 2 tracks one way line if your metro line is a 4 tracks one)

- you have to know the depth of your metro line's end, because switching from the 2-tracks to the 1-track tool revert the cursor back to ground level (hint to the devs: what about keeping the cursor depth from tool to tool unless changing the category of the tool (ie: from metro to roads tool , or from trolley to tram tool)?

-with the roads/grid problem, you'll have to move the cam very much... don't hesitate to build your loop by small segments at a time.

Don't deseperate... once the trick is integrated, it becomes far easier... though still a bit annoying :rolleyes:

In regards to the depth of tracks, it would be great if when you click on a track and it brings up the info screen (who own's it etc) it showed the depth, which would be helpful for when doing difficult connections, such as under roads where you need to create the rail in segments going up n down in depth.

Now I think I've found a bug, or at least my passengers seem to behave strangely for some reason which I don't get. I have two crossing tram lines, line 1 (left-right on the screenshot) and line 2 (vertical). Passengers often change between those travelling between big districts to the left and below the screenshot area (it's the first campaign mission btw). Now logically I would expect them to use stops marked 3 and 4 on the screenshot to do so. But they do it differently:
  • To change from Line 1 (coming from the left) to Line 2 they alight on stop 1, then walk to the stop 3 (i.e. get off too early).
  • To change from Line 2 to line 1 (going left) they alight logically on stop 3 and then walk to stop 2.

Those are always large clusters of people, some 20 or more at a time (those are popular lines), not just a single lost soul.

I have checked that both stops marked as "4" are properly connected to the Line 1, trams stop there and sometimes someone even boards the tram there (but not a transfer passenger).
Stops 3/4 are even outside catchment area of stop 1. So is it a bug or am I doing something terribly wrong?

Screenshot_2013-04-06_12-48-57.jpg

EDIT: I actually watched that crossing for some time and discovered that some individuals actually behave as expected, 1-2 people per tram. But those large clusters keep doing it their own way.

EDIT2: I did more tests with this crossing. At first I deleted both stops "4" and re-added them. This solved the 1 -> 2 transfer, but not the other.
Then I added an additional stop along the way those people were walking (i.e. same direction as stop 2, but closer) and waited for a couple of days to see what happens. At first they were walking right past this stop (same side of street, actually passing THROUGH the stop) to reach their apparently favourite stop 2. But then I added more trams so they no longer arrived overcrowded, and the behaviour changed. So here is a question: can a passenger AI force them to walk a longer way to ensure that they go to a stop where vehicles are not overcrowded yet?

Last edited:
There's a bug at the first mission of the campaign when I got the task to cover 15% of the town, and I covered 20% it showed me that only 20% of the task is completed. Does this mean that I have to cover 100% to complete the very first task of the game?

I thought that too at the beginning, but i obviously still didn't have the 15% coverage. Having completed 20% of the task in the first mission means having around 3% coverage (of inhabitants using your services i assume, not areal coverage).

I guess this is a known issue, but if not i'd like to point out that I found some discrepancies with the ticket prices. My ticket price for "metro only" tickets are way higher than the prices for "overall" tickets (which obviously should be worth more) but still it shows my prices for "metro only" are too cheap (green) while the even cheaper "overall" tickets are white colored!

Last edited:
Pourquoi il n'y a pas de version française de Cities in Motion 2 ? Ca serait bien d'avoir un patch rapidement pour que les francophones puisse profiter un maximum du jeu.
Merci

The language in this forum is only english!

I translate for you:

Why there is no French version of Cities in Motion 2? It would be nice to have a patch quickly so that french can make the most of the game
thank you

I think a french version comes later on (Je pense que la version française vient plus tard)

Last edited:
I am of the thinking that CO envisaged depots to be used for numerous routes, particularly metro lines, because they can be placed at a distance from a line and the timetable ensures they reach the 1st stop on time. This is something I'll be experimenting with in future.

Text boxes for buses and stops are very hard for me to see, I'm older and don't have great vision. Can't see how many people are on a bus. Can these be made bigger? Maybe I'm missing something.

Maybe it's an age thing but I cannot see how to DELETE bus/tram stops on a line that is completed and running. Is there a delete command for removing a stop from a line - apart from bulldozing
Isn't there a little red cross next to each stop on the route tab of the line panel in question?

Many thanks. I thought that was for deleting the entire line - but I was wrong :huh:

But now I have another question. Further up thus thread it was stated that a player can have "unlimited" money in sandbox mode!
However my money going steadily down from 100,000 and I cannot find an option to stop it or set the money to unlimited. In such a big city 100,000 does not last a long time :confused: