• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
That was a neat update, especially the part about coming up with a new Chinese constitution. Did you come up with that by yourself? Or did you base it on something?

NorthernFalcon said:
When I said static AA, I meant a LOT of static AA. Tears bombers to bits, and you don't have to constantly repair them.

That's fine, but having a small air force operating can finish off whatever the Static AA damaged.

Now this is interesting. A late offensive around august, which means you won't have much time to advance before the winter arrives. The winter, low infastructure and maybe hordes of soviets could really slow your advance. On the other hand I wonder, how the soviets will manage a two-front war? Maybe you won't face too many divisions, since they are busy on the western front.

Hopefully we'll see, how things turn up, once we get more updates. :D

Last edited:
Porkman,
I'm sure you are pleased with the alternate history. I noticed the nice technology pictures (on the research screen). What is the source?

Another long overdue update!

Colossus Crusher - You're right, right now I'm helped by the fact that the Russians have less than 30 divisions in the Far East. However the concentrations will get denser as the Germans and I push them into a narrowing strip of land. But for now, the only real difficulty is TC.

Maj. von Mauser - No puppets shall be released until after the war. This is China's fight and help is limited to Korean, Bhutan, and Nepali divisions. As for Mongolia, it's only been 19 years since the Mongolian People's Republic was established and most of the people are none too happy with the religious repression and denigration of their history. China will be respectful as it advances.

trekaddict - It is true; How many people reading right now are from English speaking countries?

Von Perkele - Welcome back!

elbasto - They already are, my TC red lined and I'm still working off 5% dissent. If the Russians can hold the Germans it might not be all that difficult to take the Germans down, but there is the possibility they will get to Moscow first and then I'll have a real fight on my hands.

Quanto - Siberia tests the patience but you don't have to take all of it. Just cut off the coast and bisect the Soviet Union to starve the troops inside.

Chief Savage Ma - I hope I won't need it. I have aircover.

NorthernFalcon - You must have been playing back before Doomsday when it was actually possible to unite China without an automatic Japanese DOW. Also, the communists have gotten progressively tougher with each new update.
For your second time, I;m wondering why you never seemed to get the Setting Sun even; it gives you everything but the Japanese Home Islands and Pacific holdings.
Declaring on the Allies makes for an easy game as long you garrison your coast well. With German help, you can easily crush the Soviets. Cracking moscow is hard but it can be done if you just let them break out and then cut off the spearheads.
The airforce thing is weird though, sure it's expensive and somewhat unnecessary, but so is building a ton of static AA. China's industry is really well protected by sheer distance from everywhere else. The airforce also comes in handy when you find yourself facing sixty+ panzer divisions with an almost entirely infantry army.

Mediiic! - this is sort of my expectation, but the difference is I'm starting out at war with the Germans, so I won't get to reorganize after taking Russia.

Milites - My minister line up not quite based on the mod. Kong Xiangxi (my head of government) was modded in because events gave the presidency to a member of the Guangxi clique, which didn't fit the narrative.

Duke_of_BOOM! - I'm not building any airbases, as I can use the Russian ones when I need them. I understand wanting to ingore the airforce as it is probably the biggest research sink for China and even then they aren't likely to catch up.

Nathan Madien - This is based on the five branched constitution in 1936. There are a few differences though. Taiwan's legislature is unicameral whereas mine is bicameral. In real life the PPC never became the parliament, but i my timeline it did. I decided to put the second house in as the PPC was party based and I felt the need for some direct representation. The examination and control Yuans are separate from eachother in real life. Most of the work on the Judicial and the Control Yuan were my own invention. I was trying to figure out how to structure a powerful watchdog organization like the Control Yuan without making it corrupt itself.

Talquin - No puppets until after the war.

Storm501 - My advance will slow down but I don't expect too much trouble until I approach the Urals.

nomonhan - The graphics are a combination of the graphics improvent project. (GIF? it's been awhile since I downloaded it) and the techteam portraits are from ccip.

Rabid - your wish is my command!

UPDATE!!!

Last edited:
30年 8月 15日

China's first contact with the soviets would come in the Far East. The Second Bingtuan, some 180,000 troops marched against 24,000 of their soviet counterparts in Iman. The defenders had no chance in the face of the massive Chinese assault and would be forced to cede the Russian rail route to Vladivostok. The Chinese troops were surprised by the Russians as they were not nearly as formidable or battle hardened as the Japanese had been. After the battle the Chinese troops were further disappointed because the captured equipment was in many ways inferior to their own. This was good in the short term, but it also meant that the Germans might make significat inroads before the Chinese could stop them.

1941-8-15-Attack-iman.jpg

30年 8月 16日

The Kingdoms of Bhutan and Nepal offered troops to the Chinese cause. This was actually a bit of trickery courtesy of the British Foreign Office, who were all too willing to shift responsibility for supplying the armies from themselves to the Chinese. The Chinese foreign office was gracious but was quick to make clear that China had desire to command further commonwealth forces. Not to say that China was ungrateful, Bhutanese and Nepali troops should be very helpful with winter only a few months away.

The immediate affect though was a massive crash in Chinese logistics as 3 million troops decided to move. Supply problems would continue to plague China for the duration of the war.

1941-8-16-TC-crash.jpg

30年 8月 17日

In the East, fighting continued. Even in places where the Chinese did not have a technical advantage, they still had the advantage in numbers and Soviet troops had no choice but retreat.

1941-8-16-attack-spask.jpg

30年 8月 22日

China's gain was Germany's loss as the Soviet troops, undoubtedly with Far Eastern reinforcements on the way, had held the Germans to gains of less than 100 miles. Even worse Memel in the north and the Romanian province of Ismail had actually fallen to the soviets.

1941-8-22-destroyers-for-ba.jpg

30年 8月 24日

The Air force industry was the last to be incorporated into the government factory network. This was a result of two factors: A) the Republic of China Air Force being viewed as largely secondary to the Army and Navy and B) the reluctance of government planners to partially nationalize the aircraft industry as it was one of the most technologically advanced sectors of the economy. The British experience as well as their own in Yugoslavia had shown that air forces fail or fly, not on the strength of their planes, but on the availability of replacement parts. The War ministry had asked for an estimate of replacements needed per month by the ROCAF, and had built enough factories to double that number.

This allowed them to focus on the much more pressing issue of supply and repair as the entirety of China's mobile forces, should everything go to plan, would be over 2000 km from home within a couple of months.

The ROCAF itself was desperately trying to catch up with the Luftwaffe. Night training, perimeter defense; all of it needed work before the Chinese planes engaged their German counterparts.

1941-8-24-tech.jpg

30年 8月 25日

With the capture of Iman, the Soviet divisions around Vladivostok were trapped. The final assault was ordered as a combined Chinese Korean offensive. Even Vladivostok's heavy fortifications were no match for 189,000 troops attacking from all directions. Not only that but the morale of the Russians stationed in the Far East had sank to incredible lows as they, more than anyone else in Russia, knew exactly how much they were outnumbered and out classed.

At the beginning of Barbarossa, Russian officers in the Far East had jokingly proposed a toast to Hitler for saving Russia from Chinese invasion. However, insulated as they were behind the iron curtain, they hadn't quite realized what the handover of Hong Kong meant. That the last bit of leverage that the British had over China had disappeared.

When news of what the Chinese were planning reached Britain some 4 days after Barbarossa, the Cabinet had been divided. Everyone agreed that this was gross opportunism at its worse, but, as the hours dragged on, they realized that they had a very limited ability to stop it. A few facts on the ground also supported China's case. The first was that, according to Polish agents A) the Germans were not moving quickly and that casualties had been severe on both sides, making a quick Russian surrender unlikely, B) the prospect would grow even more remote once the Chinese attack came as Germany would not accept anything less than total surrender with Russia in a two front war. C) The Chinese were one of Britain's largest trading partners second only to the commonwealth and the United States. D) China was more than capable of 'liberating' India should Britain try to take punitive measures. E) The Soviet Union had no way to retaliate against Britain and finally F) with America still neutral Britain needed China far more than China needed Britain.

Had the Russians known these facts they would have been far less sanguine about the German attack.

1941-8-25-attack-vladi.jpg

30年 8月 26日

The defenders of Vladivostok had been defeated, spelling the end of the largest Soviet force in the Far East. Some 60,000 troops were now trapped in the pocket.

1941-8-25-attack-khabar.jpg

30年 8月 27日

Chinese troops advanced in to Outer Manchuria. The few defenders were forced into the wilderness to either freeze to death or become tiger food.

1941-8-27-Tynda-Chumikan.jpg

The official cause of the war was the Chinese demand to restore their sovereignty over Mongolia. Since taking control in the 1920's, the Soviet Union knew that Mongolia would be China's first target in any war. The bulk of the Soviet strength was therefore clustered around Ulan Bator.

100,000 mixed Mongol and Soviet troops were guarding the approaches to the capital. They were facing twice as many Chinese forces under Long Yun but the Chinese forces were fighting at a slight disadvantage.

The Chinese army was under strict orders not to enter the Ikh Khorig, the 240 square kilometer area containing the graves of all the Great Khans. This would leave a hole in their lines, but they hoped that the Russians would be too scared of angering the Mongolians to take advantage of it. The Russians had surrounded it with 10,000 square kilometers of "restricted military area," and that was where the fiercest fighting would take place.

1941-8-27-attack-ulan.jpg

In the West, the Soviet puppet of Tuva would launch the entirety of their armed forces against 3 Pabing divisions. The Tuvans were brave fighters and they outnumbered the Chinese troops. Furthermore, much as Mongolia could lay claim to martial talents of Genghis Khan, the Tuvans would rally behind the memory of Subodei.

As strong as they were, the Tuvan offensive was undone by several factors. The first was the poor quality of their equipment; they couldn't match the mobility or range of the Chinese mountain guns. The second was their lack of mobility. The Republic of China army had written the book on modern light infantry operations and the Soviets had not been able to catch up. The advancing Tuvan divisions would be brutally ambushed during the night by the elite Chinese mountain troops.

1941-8-27-khobdo-attacked.jpg

30年 8月 28日

Victory at Ulan Bator spelled the end for the Mongolian People's Republic. Chinese troops had crushed the defending Mongolians fairly easily, with most throwing down their arms or being herded inland by their Russian commisars.

1941-8-28--ulan-victory.jpg

The first mechanized battle in Chinese history would take place in the forests of outer Manchuria. This was only fitting as Fu Zuoyi's troops were the first Chinese divisions to be motorized.

1941-8-28-attack-birobid.jpg

30年 9月 3日

The fall of Vladivostock forced the remains of the Russian Far East Fleet to put to sea。 Both the Chinese and Japanese Navies were waiting to pounce on the lone destroyer.

1941-9-03-attack-sea.jpg

30年 9月 4日

Fu Zuoyi's Qibing divisions were unable to continue towards the coast after being stopped by the defending Soviet troops. They had gotten scattered and disorganized during the broad offensive through the dense forest and would have to regroup before trying again.

1941-9-03-defeat-nicola.jpg

30年 9月 5日

After driving to the coast to cut off Vladivostock, Luo Zhuoying's Bingtuan had been moved to the Chinese half of Sakhalin. Their mission was to attack the Russian garrison and force it's surrender, thereby paving the way for an amphibious assault by the Koreans to take major cities and oil resources.

1941-9-05-ocha.jpg

30年 9月 13日

More good news arrived with the delivery of the first in a new generation of fully electronic decryption computers. As the Chinese had already cracked the Soviet military codes, money would be given to Claire Chennault to develop an aggressive new strategy for the ROCAF fighter wings. The Chinese had been worried whether America would continue to support China during the war against Russia, but America's "friendly, but neutral" attitude was still holding firm.

China's oil resources were rapidly dwindling. The importance of creating synthetic fuel would spur further research.

1941-9-13-tech.jpg

Chinese agents operating in Mongolia had it on good authority that the Mongols were just awaiting the arrival of Chinese troops before formally surrendering. This allowed Long Yun to divert his troops North and start marching into Soviet territory. The few Soviet troops meant to keep watch on the Mongolians were no match for 135,000 battle hardened Chinese regulars.

1941-9-13-attack-chita.jpg

30年 9月 14日

The Siberian front had reached a stable pattern with massive Chinese formations combing the dense forests for the few scattered Soviet divisions.

1941-9-14-attack-aldan.jpg

30年 9月 15日

The pocket formed after the capture of Chiumikan would be liquidated via amphibious assault. The single defending division would come under heavy bombardment from the sea.

The ROCAF was not idle during this period. They would be instrumental in knocking out Russian positions above the beach. The Chinese bombers carte blanche to bomb anywhere they wanted as the Russian Air Force had not been spotted anywhere near the Chinese border.

30年 9月 18日

Three days later, the Second Juntuan would secure the province. The remains of the Soviet Far east command were now trapped in a pocket east of the Amur river with no hope of rescue.

1941-9-17-arrive-bogo.jpg

30年 9月 19日

The first step was to cut the Amur pocket off from the coast. The Soviets were still receiving supplies from Russian convoys operating from Otoskh and that needed to stop. 81,000 Chinese troops converged upon 30,000 demoralized Russian defenders.

1941-9-19-attack-khabar.jpg

30年 9月 22日

After it became clear that the coast would fall, another badly damaged Russian warship would try to make a break for it.

1941-9-22-fleet-action.jpg

After sending it to a watery grave, the Chinese Navy couldn't help but think there was something familiar about it.

1941-9-22-chinese-ship.jpg

30年 9月 25日

China had been at war for 40 days. The big issue for the army was how to garrison the vast amount of territory they would be taking. New garrison divisions would be created. These would not be regular military, instead they would be trained in police work, nation building, and maintaining public order. These were less military divisions and more "armed local governments."

The rest of production was tilted towards the army and air force. Upgrades had been put on hold temporarily to make sure that China's civilian industry not be put under strain.

1941-9-25-production.jpg

QUIZ: Who was the first American fighter ace of the WW2 era?

Last edited:
Major Arthur Chin?
Born in Portland Oregon and fought directly for the Chinese Airforce?

btw, glad to see this one still going! How is the vast siberian expanse going for you? :D

I am glad to see this AAR back up and running again. :) A very nice update.

Porkman said:
After sending it to a watery grave, the Chinese Navy couldn't help but think there was something familiar about it.

1941-9-22-chinese-ship.jpg

I wonder how the Soviets obtained a Chinese-named ship. :confused:

Nathan Madien said:
I am glad to see this AAR back up and running again. :) A very nice update.

I wonder how the Soviets obtained a Chinese-named ship. :confused:
That was from earlier when he sold it for some other stuff. I don't remember the details however.

Great to see this AAR updating again. Classily put together with lots of juicy pictures and a skilled operator at the reins. Love the elements of storytelling you throw in too.

Quanto said:
That was from earlier when he sold it for some other stuff. I don't remember the details however.

Ah. I see. That would make sense.

Thanks for all the encouragement. The thing about this AAR is that it doesn't die, it just goes dormant. I can't legitimately spend 10 hours on an update when I have real schoolwork to do. This

Quanto - Right you are, sir! Here's a shout out to all those who fought in WW2 before it was cool! As to your prize, I haven't decided yet, what do want?

Siberia is easy due to my doctrine of "outnumber the soviets by at least 6 to in every engagement."

Nathan Madien - Quanto is right. I sold my beginning Navy to the Soviet Union in 1937 (I think) never realizing that I would have to sink it.

Colonel Bran - Here's hoping...

elbasto - My personal fear is motorcycle mounted Mongols, but I think I dealt with that threat. As for the Long March, the Chinese Army is very testy about acknowledging any traditions from the Red Army.

Meadow - Thanks for the kind words. Had I known that I would get to 31 updates without being halfway through I might have reconsidered. The whole point of writing this was to show people that, when playing as Nat. China, peace with the commies and a war of attrition against Japan is for punks. Too many people get spoiled using panzers and can't conceive of an encirclement that doesn't involve tanks.

Duke_of_BOOM! - it doesn't go away; it just takes it time. If I ever quit this AAR, I will tell you. It'll go out with a bang, not a whimper.

The update!

"Recently, a preferred counterfactual among historians has been to wonder what would have happened had China not pressed for Mongolia or if Stalin had bought peace on his Eastern border by acceding to Chinese territorial demands. Would the Soviets have been able to crush the Wehrmacht that first winter if they had been able to deploy more troops to the west? In such a situation, what country would have risen to challenge a victorious Russia? This is all idle speculation as China, by the early 40's had become the world's leading anti Bolshevik democracy.

The CCP within China, though much diminished, had never forgiven Stalin or the Comintern. Defeat had soured the remaining Chinese communists about the notion of the global, Moscow - led revolution, and the party had cast out the Russian influences in an effort both to redefine itself and keep from being dissolved entirely. The moderates had taken over within the party and the Communist Party of China, led officially by one of its original founders Chen Duxiu, had rebranded themselves as the Chinese party that stood for land reform and anti corruption. When the decision to press claims on Mongolia passed through the PPC, almost one half of the communist delegation was in favor with the rest abstaining, as the only way to maintain their seats during the high anti Soviet feeling during the first year of the war was to convince the Chinese people that while the CCP was still pro communist; they were firmly anti Bolshevik.

Lyman P. Van Slyke, "The Dragon, the Bear and the Eagle: The Asian Phase of the Second World War." Cambridge University Press

30年 9月 26日

The Soviets had actually tried to break out to the west into Manchuria, to link up with the Soviet front some 300 miles further west. For the moment the Chinese army was content to let them rot there as the front was moving west faster than the trapped Soviet troops were and that Chinese troops were well on their way to cutting off the coast. If the Soviets were unable to hold the coast, the tens of thousand of Soviet troops still in Manchuria were doomed to become POW's.

1941-9-26-attack-komsom.jpg

In the west, the Tuvans would come under attack from twice their number of Chinese troops who were much better trained and armed. Even so the Chinese supply lines were starting to show strain and the front hadn't moved even a fifth as far as it was going to.

1941-9-26-attack-tannu-det.jpg

Both attacks would be successful.

1941-9-26-attack-tannu-vict.jpg

The Mongolian campaign was all but over, with the main bulk of the enemy troops on the run or soon to be captured. The remaining task of pacifying the country would fall to the Dai Li's intelligence operatives. Taking a cue from Hitler's annexation of the Sudetenland, China had been broadcasting propaganda and sending agents from Inner Mongolia to forment unrest in the North.

In the face of the Mongolian Military collapse, the bulk of Chinese forces would turn North to invade directly into the former Chinese territory held by the Soviet Union itself.

1941-9-26-attack-chita.jpg

30年 9月 29日

Long Yun's Bingtuan was carving a path through the sparse defenses of Siberia, but many on the Chinese side were worried that China might have overcommited troops to winning a quick victory in the East and would have to perform a massive transfer of almost a million personnel as Operation Tranquility made contact with the bulk of the enemy in the West.

1941-9-29-attack-mogocha.jpg

30年 10月 7日

The west seemed to be under control. Resistance had thus far been sporadic and Chinese troops had been more than capable of flinging back the few scattered troops guarding the rail routes.

1941-10-07-attack-novo.jpg

That was until soldiers and reconnaissance planes started reporting a massive Soviet tank buildup. Stalin had already committed his infantry against the Germans, but his tanks were another story. Thousands of Soviet tanks were now bearing down on the vulnerable supply routes that fuelled the all important northern thrust of Operation Tranquility. If they succeeded China's plan of bisecting the Soviet Union was doomed.

1941-10-07-soviet-tanks.jpg

Chinese agents in Mongolia had been looking for something very specific. When the Red Army invaded in 1924 and set up the Mongolian People's Republic, both Communist ideology and the long standing Russian belief that the Mongol invasion had retarded Russian potential, had caused the Bolsheviks to remove as many traces of Mongolia's traditional culture as they could. As China was having it's own troubles in the 30's, Stalin's henchmen had executed some 30,000 mongols in their campaign to eliminate the native culture and religion. They ravaged one monastery after another, shot the monks, assaulted the nuns, broke the religious objects, looted the libraries, burned the scriptures and demolished the temples. And, in 1937, the Soviet Union stole the soul of Genghis Khan.

In traditional Mongol culture, every warrior herder carried with them a Spirit Banner called a sulde, constructed by tying the hairs of his best stallions to the shaft of a spear, just below the head. The spirit banner would remain in the open air below the eternal blue sky that the Mongols worshiped and channeled the power of the sun, moon, wind, and sky to the warrior. The union between the man and the spirit banner grew so intertwined that when he died, the warrior's spirit was said to reside forever in those tufts of horsehair. The physical body was quickly abandoned but the soul lived on in the Spirit Banner to inspire future generations.

Genghis Khan had two banners; a white one for times of peace and a black one for times of war. The white disappeared soon after his death but the black one survived as the repository of his soul. Despite their eventual conversion to Buddhism, the Mongol people continued to honor the banner where his soul resided. In the sixteenth century, a monastery was constructed to house it, but the Soviets destroyed the monastery and killed the 1000 Yellow Hat monks that lived there. Reportedly, someone secretly rescued the embodiment of Genghis Khan's soul from the Shankh Monastery and whisked it away for safekeeping to the capital in Ulan batar, where it ultimately disappeared.

Chinese intelligence agents had scoured the country for the banner. They found it in a converted Russian ammunition depot, that seemed to be repurposed for storing temple loot. In a moving ceremony, Mongolian monks from Chinese Inner Mongolia, many of them refugees from communist oppression, were allowed to to reraise the banner over the ruins of its former home.

The formal instruments of annexation would be signed under the banner. The Chinese officials were the first to leave, followed by Mongolia's former rulers, finally the assembled crowds thinned or went to bed leaving the banner standing alone with a few monks and bored Chinese soldiers standing guard. As the last light faded, a breeze picked up the weathered black horsehairs causing them to waft faintly towards the northwest.

1941-10-07-annex-mongolia.jpg

The modern Chinese descendants of the Khan's mobile forces, met their Soviet counterparts in Aktyubinsk when they tried to cross the Ilek River. Had they arrived a little later they might have been able to replicate the Mongol feat of using the frozen rivers as highways, but the rivers remained liquid and the battle became a desperate melee for control of the bridges.

1941-10-07-attack-aktuyi.jpg

30年 10月 8日

The battle would be won the next day, but the Chinese mobile forces were definitely pushing their own limits with regards to supply and organization. The increasing cold was also starting to wear on the advancing Chinese columns.

1941-10-08-attack-aktuyi-vi.jpg

30年 10月 11日

The Russians would try to stop the crossing again three days later. They were hoping that they could keep the now stretched Chinese from establishing a foothold north of the Caspian. Whether the single cavalry division that they sent was up to the task was another matter entirely.

1941-10-11-attack-aktuyi.jpg

In Siberia, Chinese troops were advancing on the last significant Soviet port in the Pacific, Okhotsk. The going was tough but the proponents of China's use of overwhelming force in the Siberian theater felt vindicated. The Russian defense was unusually determined and the terrain was downright hostile.

1941-10-11-attack-okhotsk.jpg

30年 10月 12日

The crossing in Aktyubinsk would continue despite the harassment. The front was starting to freeze and the approaches to the Volga were fast becoming nothing more than an arctic wasteland.

1941-10-11-attack-aktuyi-vi.jpg

Although the victory in Okhotsk had been won overland. The actual occupation would come from the sea. The Second Bingtuan would march in from the coast to occupy the city an cut off those few Soviet divisions still fleeing up the coast.

1941-10-12-attack-okhotsk.jpg

30年 10月 14日

Chinese oil supplies were dangerously low. In a pattern that would continue throughout the war, the government was forced to turn to America to make up the shortfall.

1941-10-14-oil-purchase.jpg

30年 10月 15日

The sole Soviet presence on Chinese soil was eliminated using Korean troops. The initial phases of the war had exceeded the expectations of the Chinese military planners. There was talk in Beijing of meeting the Germans east of Moscow.

1941-10-15-attack-heihe.jpg

That talk was silenced very quickly by a piece of dire news. The Soviets had thrown five tank divisions led by General Konev against 45,000 Chinese troops guarding the vulnerable railroads that supplied the Northern thrust of Operation Tranquility. The Chinese troops had never faced tanks beyond the scattered handfuls that the Japanese had deployed, and had no plan let alone capability to deal with the massive 2,000 tank assault..

1941-10-15-omsk-attacked.jpg

30年 10月 16日

The next day Soviet forces would place themselves firmly in control of the railway. The advancing Chinese forces were now trapped in enemy territory. The Chinese army had nothing that could stop those tanks, so freeing the pocket from behind had to be abandoned. The only hope now was was to divert mobile forces from the south to save the trapped divisions inside the pocket. This was do or die time for the Chinese army; three out of the seven Chinese mobile Juntuans were in danger of being wiped out completely.

1941-10-16-omsk-taken.jpg

30年 10月 17日

In a little bit of news that was almost comically late, Chinese planners released their new protocol on how to enact repairs of damaged vehicles stranded deep in enemy territory. The defense department was none too happy with the generals responsible for the situation around northern spearhead, and would appoint Joseph Stillwell to take over army logistics, as a way of putting the Chinese generals on notice.

1941-10-17-tech.jpg

30年 10月 19日

The Chinese generals had not entirely failed. When it became clear that the Soviets were rushing to cut off the northern spearhead, one of the Juntuans had been diverted south to prevent it. While the move was far too late to stop the tanks, it had opened up a corridor to the north if the troops in the south were able to break through at Orsk.

1941-10-19-chelyabinsk.jpg

The Soviet counterattack was brutal. The two divisions would retreat along the railroad and the all eyes would turn to the exhausted mobile divisions in the south.

1941-10-19-chelyabinsk-lost.jpg

30年 10月 22日

Tannu Tuva would be formally annexed on the 22nd. The last Soviet puppet state in central Asia had fallen and most of these forces were being sped to the west.

1941-10-22-annex-kyzyl.jpg

30年 10月 24日

The troops in the South had waited five days to rest and resupply and some feared that it had already been too long. The Soviets had parked the command for the entire eastern front as well as an infantry division at the Orsk rail hub. The troops were well rested and equipped and were more than capable of making Orsk a very unfriendly place.

1941-10-24-orsk.jpg

30年 10月 25日

Chinese mobile forces were able to dislodge the defenders after a day of fierce sub zero fighting. The question remained as to whether they could retake Orsk fast enough to ship supplies north before the soviets closed off Chelyabinsk. Even if this meant the salvation of the northern spearhead, how was the Chinese army going to deal with the thousands of tanks now embedded behind the Chinese lines?

1941-10-25-orks-victory.jpg

All of these questions and more answered next time on AARight to be Hostile!

Second Quiz item: What made the bronze used by Qin Shi Huang's army special?

Last edited: