• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No offence but no country is that extreme not even Greece. there are many reasons for Greeks to leave Greece not to go back to it right now.....

the reason people left was poverty, and they were sending back money to their families, if greece is powerful once again they have no reason not to join the rest greeks

Varaingian guard will likely be a single division, perhaps with 80 Strength, unupgradable but having very good stats that would make them capable all the way to late 40's when vanilla infantry starts to become well trained as well.

This is most interesting! Will give it a try!

Post suggestions if you think of any. I will start working on the next version once 1.03 comes out and I have played a game or two on it.

Thanks for the support.

I got a biology summary to write and a 10-hour day tomorrow, probably can get to work in Wednesday.

I am now writing a backstory for this mod.

Last edited:
I drafted a quick background for the mod, tell me what you think:

Modern history of the Roman Empire
It is fair to say that the Roman Empire has existed in its current form from 1261 with the ascension of the Palaiologoi
and the banishment of the Latins from Constantinople. The Empire had been reduced to a petty rival state in a sea of
competitors, and combined with the lack of warlikeness of the early Palaiologoi and lack of reforms, end seemed inevitable.
However, the Empire survived. How? The greatest threat the Turks were never eliminated, but Mongol invasions from the East
and (PoD) lack of a competent sultan the Turks remained rather splintered despite being driven further west. Thessaly was
the first major victory, conquered by Michael VIII in 1270's. The Empire slowly expanded its borders and the second great
threat, the usurpation of John Kantakouzenos in 1341 was narrowly avoided by John V in the former's sudden death in battle.

The latter half of 14th century passed with little conflict, with some reforms being passed to improve stability in the fading
Empire. Turkish confusion persisted when Timur conquered much of Anatolia, a conquest on which the Empire managed to capitalize
upon. The Turks were defeated in Battle of Malagina in 1412 and alliances with the Serbs and Bulgars were secured through marriage.
The Empire survived the 15th century as well, after which the first actual reconquests were made. Most of the Latin states
of Greece were wiped out in 1520's by Manuel III Palaiologos, and a series of wars of succession landed Bulgaria under
Imperial authority in 1550's. First reconquests in Anatolia were made in 1572 when the Turks were again soundily defeated
at Nicaea. Despite these successes many of the intelligentsia of the Empire fled West, helping start the Renaissance in Italy.

The Kantakouzenoi managed to snatch the throne in 1591 and would rule the Empire for 87 years until the Throne was regained
by the Palaiologoi (the two had emerged as the two most powerful houses). Even the Komnenoi had their share of the throne
in the confusion (Manuel V Komnenos, 1699-1708), shortly after Trebizond had been reintegrated back into the Empire.
At this time the Empire's borders were roughly similar to the ones in 1936. The Palaiologoi lost the throne again to the
Sgouroi (1715-1746) and Notaras (1746-1831). The old and largely forgotten Palaiologoi regained the throne once again
in 1831 and have ruled to this day, being by far the longest-ruling dynasty in all Roman history.

The Empire truly regained its momentum in the 19th century when Anatolia was reconquered. While there were several clashes
with Habsburg Austria, the Western frontier remained relatively intact. Persia and Egypt were the Empire's main opponents
in the East but the former was beaten with Russian help and the latter was subjugated by the British in 19th century.

The Empire participated in World War 1 on the Central Powers' side with the goal of gaining Egypt. The Empire lost and
most of Anatolia was ceded to form the rump state "Republic of Anatolia", a multi-ethnic nation primarily established to
guard the interests of its Turkish majority.
The Point of Divergence is that the Ottoman sultanate with its splendid sultans never existed. I mean, not even the house of Osman never existed and the words "Osman" and "Ottoman" don't exist in this universe.
Another one is reversing Michael VIII's assault on Thessaly in 1270's. While a rather insignificant incident, gaining ground in Latin Greece would have benefited the Empire greatly.
The civil war of 1340's ended abrubtly in John V's death. While he is not a bad thing in history the quick end to the uprising meant Serbia never expanded on Byzantine territory.
The "battle of Malagina" is entirely my own invention.

Those are the main PoDs for this mod thus far. Let me know if you got ideas and questions. I know just killing people off like that is a bit cheap but life is unpredictable.

Last edited:
Umm, this would surely change the whole geopolitics, making WW2 highly unsure to happen in the current form.

I drafted a quick background for the mod, tell me what you think:

The Point of Divergence is that the Ottoman sultanate with its splendid sultans never existed. I mean, not even the house of Osman never existed and the words "Osman" and "Ottoman" don't exist in this universe.
Another one is reversing Michael VIII's assault on Thessaly in 1270's. While a rather insignificant incident, gaining ground in Latin Greece would have benefited the Empire greatly.
The civil war of 1340's ended abrubtly in John V's death. While he is not a bad thing in history the quick end to the uprising meant Serbia never expanded on Byzantine territory.
The "battle of Malagina" is entirely my own invention.

Those are the main PoDs for this mod thus far. Let me know if you got ideas and questions. I know just killing people off like that is a bit cheap but life is unpredictable.

republic of anatolia protecting the interest of turks and same time armenians?? armenians and the serbians are the best friends of greece, many emperors of the byzantine empire were armenians and the armenians were first class citizens and many times greekspeakers, i dont think that the armenians would side with the turks, republic of anatolia should be a turk runned country but not named to turkey to prevent a revolution

republic of anatolia protecting the interest of turks and same time armenians?? armenians and the serbians are the best friends of greece, many emperors of the byzantine empire were armenians and the armenians were first class citizens and many times greekspeakers, i dont think that the armenians would side with the turks, republic of anatolia should be a turk runned country but not named to turkey to prevent a revolution
This is true, Armenians would propably be almost Hellens by this point.

Whats the status of this mod?

any progress?

Sorry bout the delays people.
I start working now.

Got hit by a really bad laziness bug :(

I will update this mod to 1.3 RC2, make new events and edit the old ones a bit.