• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Good point about the previous Theodora. I'll make the change.

Yes there will hopefully be elections, if there are just enough Greek ministers to do it.

The counters for the Romans seem to be broken. I never use the sprites, and instead all I got when looking at my units was a bunch of blocks of green, blue and black. Also, Constantinople is still called Istanbul for some reason. That definitely needs fixing.

O! I am aghast. Oh well, since I have already finished half of my own "New Roman Empire" mod I may as well finish the rest of it as well... though in mine, the Roman Empire does indeed come out of Rome. I thought it up when I was reading about Mussolini's plans to create a new version of the Roman Empire by conquering states around him, but it only partially materialized.

The counters for the Romans seem to be broken. I never use the sprites, and instead all I got when looking at my units was a bunch of blocks of green, blue and black. Also, Constantinople is still called Istanbul for some reason. That definitely needs fixing.
Yes I know the problem with counters but I don't know what to do with them. I got them from the graphics thread and alas, I don't use counters myself (never got off my ass to learn what symbol meant what unit). If anyone knows how to fix it let us know, probably using the wrong format.

As far as Istanbul goes, I have no clue about map editing and renaming the province itself will be in next version. However note that Istanbul predates the Turkish conquest, the city was known for many names Istanbul being one of them.

I am going to try this today :p

As far as Istanbul goes, I have no clue about map editing and renaming the province itself will be in next version. However note that Istanbul predates the Turkish conquest, the city was known for many names Istanbul being one of them.

You could say that the Romans offically call the city Istanbul to appease the Turkish minorities; just as an in-universe reason to not fiddle around with the map.

You could say that the Romans offically call the city Istanbul to appease the Turkish minorities; just as an in-universe reason to not fiddle around with the map.

What Turkish minorities? In this timeline Constantinople never fell to the Turks in the first place.

What Turkish minorities? In this timeline Constantinople never fell to the Turks in the first place.
Not necessarily minorities in Istanbul, but the ones in Turkey itself

Istanbul is Constantinople in Turkish IIRC...

Yes I know the problem with counters but I don't know what to do with them. I got them from the graphics thread and alas, I don't use counters myself (never got off my ass to learn what symbol meant what unit). If anyone knows how to fix it let us know, probably using the wrong format.

Try saving the counters in Paint as a 256 color (or something like that) BMP file.

Damn you! You got that song stuck in my head.

[video=youtube;BOG8emH4Ab8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOG8emH4Ab8[/video]

No, Istanbul originates from the city itself and it's Greek in origin.
Quoting Wikipedia:
Etymologically, the name İstanbul (Turkish pronunciation: [isˈtanbuɫ], colloquially [ɯsˈtambuɫ]) derives from the Medieval Greek phrase "εἰς τὴν Πόλιν" [is tin ˈpolin]/[istimbolin], which means "in the city" or "to the city". This reflected its status as the only major city in the vicinity, much in the same way people today often colloquially refer to their nearby urban centers as "the City". The name may have also evolved directly from the name Constantinople, with the first two syllables simply dropped

Damn you! You got that song stuck in my head.

[video=youtube;BOG8emH4Ab8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOG8emH4Ab8[/video]

no matter how hard turks try they cant erase history, they were a barbarian nomadic race, they captured a city and tried to change the name, the people who built and gave fame and glory to the city decide the name, not the one who slaughtered and burned it

Well if it is any comfort the Turks treated the Greeks a million times better than the Latins. At least the Turks stopped looting of the city after 3 days as was the custom back then, preserved the Ecumenical patriarchate and overall the Greeks were much more satisfied to live under the Turks than the Frankokratia.

Still, the fate of Greek areas in Anatolia and Thrace is a very saddening one. Had the Greco-Turkish war or 1919 never happened, those areas could still hold millions of Greeks and thus preserve at least some hope of reclaiming the areas for Greeks. Not that I feel any particular enmity towards Turks but it always sucks when people are driven from areas they have inhabited for thousands of years.

Had the Greco-Turkish war or 1919 never happened, those areas could still hold millions of Greeks and thus preserve at least some hope of reclaiming the areas for Greeks. Not that I feel any particular enmity towards Turks but it always sucks when people are driven from areas they have inhabited for thousands of years.

I agree

Well if it is any comfort the Turks treated the Greeks a million times better than the Latins. At least the Turks stopped looting of the city after 3 days as was the custom back then, preserved the Ecumenical patriarchate and overall the Greeks were much more satisfied to live under the Turks than the Frankokratia.

Still, the fate of Greek areas in Anatolia and Thrace is a very saddening one. Had the Greco-Turkish war or 1919 never happened, those areas could still hold millions of Greeks and thus preserve at least some hope of reclaiming the areas for Greeks. Not that I feel any particular enmity towards Turks but it always sucks when people are driven from areas they have inhabited for thousands of years.

For that matter, had it gone an opposite direction, it's very possible Greece would become a major regional power through fulfillment of the Megali Idea. How this would affect post-1919 Greek politics, and leading into WWII, is of course up to speculation but it's interesting to think.

if by latins u mean the occupation in the 13th century, no offence but this is the second most ahistorical thing i have ever heard. fistly the latins were christians, they didnt occupied all of the state, they didnt used to "steal" young children from their families to turn them to their elite troops, they didnt had so big taxes for everything ,even for living, they didnt used to make as bow when one of them passes the road, the patriarche was preserved only for making the greeks less unlikely to revolt, it was an ottoman puppet and it declared every rebbelion as its enemy,in 1821 the low rank priest stood against such a declarion and were the first to begin the rebbelion. in my opinion if the reason not to take those areas was the fact that no much greeks live in the area in the year 2012(in the 20th century the greeks in east thrace were much but they were wiped out by undercovered turk operations or ultraislamists) shall i remind u that 10 million greeks live outside our todays borders and can be called anytime to live to the new areas conquered.

So finally got around to playing the mod that I made the icons for. Some thoughts:

The Byzantines shouldn't have Delay. It's a tech that's way to advanced for where it seems they should be at. The tech tree itself seems to be all over the place. They should really have at least the first marine tech, perhaps all the way up to '31.

Give them an HQ unit in Constantinople.

I admit I don't play vanilla DH that much (being more of a Kaisserreich person), but should the units have that much experience right at the start?

Also only four 1918 interceptors? I'd up the tech on those planes and give them a few tacs.

Navy seems about right. Maybe a Black Sea squadron built around a CA/BC with some CL or DDs?