• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Dec definitely changed this - at the start you get one medium bomber unit, one light bomber unit and two light fighters with light bomber brigades attached to them. The change has something to do with the new brigades I suppsoe. Only medium bomber unit will be fully utilized due to it's striking range while others won't have a chance that often due a to low range they still have. Again, I don't have the updated ranges for air and naval units. I hope I get them in time or I'll have rather big troubles in my Chinese campaign. :eek:o

Really like your AAR :)

I noticed that retooling time has been reduced to 30 days. Should help building up an army more quickly, esp. as JAP.

The tech overview has no ratio for oil to rare conversion. Will this be added or was this feature removed?

Given what rares represent within CORE, I'd safely say it has been removed. Rares represent various metals, rubber and such. And synthetic rubber has it's own subchain.

Thank you Blecky. I'm not into graphical beautification of my AAR - as you see stuff is simply made and straightforward. Don't have time for more elaborate writing and GFX. I know it looks horrendeous to guys like Titan and bestmajor who are graphically litterate :rofl: ... but I'm trying to do my best in the given circumstances.

I'm not at home now so I can't take a look - I have to admit I haven't checked the two available techs on the Industry tech tree so I can't answer your question right now. Maybe in the evening, or if someone from the dev team pops in and answeres before me. For Japan thee are more pressing issues tech vise that need to be researched first - or at least that is what my impression is. We'll see later in the game how this plays out.

Edit: "Emu-ed" by Hagar ;)

@Titan: this will answer part of the question regarding Kamikaze tech:

[image]

I don't know what prerequisites one needs in order to be able to research it. I know what situation historically triggered kamikaze attacks but don't know how it is coded.
Thanks! It seems to me, though, that it has more of an impact on land than on air, which is a bit odd... I would have expected it to be related with their aerial suicide attacks of 1944-45 (although I know about the suicide charges performed by land units as well so, on a second thought, I guess the tech is well arranged).

I'm not into graphical beautification of my AAR - as you see stuff is simply made and straightforward. Don't have time for more elaborate writing and GFX. I know it looks horrendeous to guys like Titan and bestmajor who are graphically litterate :rofl: ... but I'm trying to do my best in the given circumstances.
Well, I for one don't think at all that the screens you're posting look bad, on the contrary (even because you tend to use some elements from the Tripartite Pack :D ;) ).

At all events, seeing those vanilla aircraft is somehow "strange", so to speak. Maybe I could make some new icons at least for CORE's Japanese air models which are not currently covered by the TP... (but you'd need to tell me which type they are, i.e. the aircraft name)

Hi Hister,

Since you have Tripartite installed in you "vanillar" installation below CORE, can you do a quick check?

Just start your normal 0.60 installation with Tripartite and check that all the beautiful model icons are still there. The installer has to place dummies in the relevant directory, but should not overwrite exsting files.

Thanks

T:

Thanks! It seems to me, though, that it has more of an impact on land than on air, which is a bit odd... I would have expected it to be related with their aerial suicide attacks of 1944-45 (although I know about the suicide charges performed by land units as well so, on a second thought, I guess the tech is well arranged).
As you said both land and air units were involved in their Banzaiii suicide attacks. Kamikaze attacks with planes are more iconic becouse they left a more dramatic and legendary impression and are thus the iconic kamikaze us Westerners know about the most.The airborn part of this aspect is simulated by giving Patrol bombers (which are actually ex. naval bombers) a considerable boost in their org. meaning more time will be needed before they break and will also sustain higher strenght casulties. I haven't checked what plane types were used the most in kamikaze attacks. If someone can shed some info on the matter we can then maybe ask the devs nicely to include some other plane types in the tech for even bigger plausibility and immersion.

Well, I for one don't think at all that the screens you're posting look bad, on the contrary (even because you tend to use some elements from the Tripartite Pack ).
Correct but I was thinking more down the line of my screenshots cutting and pasting "art" with the basic windows Paint program :happy:

At all events, seeing those vanilla aircraft is somehow "strange", so to speak. Maybe I could make some new icons at least for CORE's Japanese air models which are not currently covered by the TP... (but you'd need to tell me which type they are, i.e. the aircraft name)
That would be great! Vanilla icons for planes is one aspect CORE is really lacking. I'll need your guidance what you need me to do - I would prefer if you would get in contact with Tegg though since that would be a safer bet when it comes to understanding air type icons and he'll have an easier time explaining you how he would like them to look like. If he's willing/having enough time of course (or anyone else from the devs).

Since you have Tripartite installed in you "vanillar" installation below CORE, can you do a quick check?
Just start your normal 0.60 installation with Tripartite and check that all the beautiful model icons are still there. The installer has to place dummies in the relevant directory, but should not overwrite exsting files.
Wait, you want me to install TP fully over CORE? Please be more detailed since I'm a bit confused what I should do. What do I need to check - which Titan's icons are missing when I install them over? Do you mean only for planes or all also for land units? For land units I can say right away that the year for example infantry unit icons have on them does not fit with how things stand in CORE.

What I am saying is this:

CORE works with mod-dir and all CORE files are installed in mod-dir.

However, a few files (for example nation-specific unit icons) need a file of the same name in the proper directory in the standard directory structure. In this case, CORE installs "dummies" in the standard directory structure. If you have one installation for Tripartite and one for CORE, forget what I said. Or install CORE into the Tripartite installation and check whether it still works.

Best Regards

T.

Ah now I see what you meant. I have actually merged TP over CORE and only those files for which I know that are compatible. I left all the unit icons out for purpose - it's not fully compatible and that's where Titan can jump in and change this fact ;) I will make another peak at the unit icons though.

@Titan, I'm not using your improved counters with which you can see what units are in a stack in a glance in 0.60 because of the new changes this version brought. It's not comaptible any more because 2 or 3 icons have changed now. Otherwise you would see it in hte AAR ;)

As for my AAR:
I've gathered and arranged material for Part 4 (it's A LOT) of stuff with a lot of dynamic in it - expect to see it posted for the weekend. Maybe I'll have to cut it into two parts.

Edit:
@Titan: I suggest you avoid putting year numbers on the unit icons, just stick with the roman numbers. That way your work can be more broadly appliable for other mods or even as a buffer in case things in the mod change. For example if 1941 infantry is changed to be 1942 infantry in the mod when some updates are being made then you would need to waste precious time fixing the year number. With having simple roman numbers that would not be necessary.

Last edited:

Quick overview of some of the new v0.60 mod features via a short Japanese campaign (Part 4)

Invasion of Guanxi Clique (Southern Chinese Warlord State).

While our army's strength in Taiwan just got bigger by the mountaineer division we got a shipment of a hefty sum of money from South Manchurian Railroad which comes in a regular manner but the amount of which somewhat fluctuates from shipment to shipment. This means nevertheless that we can devout less resources into civil expenses which will come in handy to compensate for a very low supply stock. We know army has been making some rather harsh complains regarding our supply stock when the smell of war is ever close but our hopefully swift attack and war economy will overcome initial difficulties.

Some of the money was used for influencing Venezuela who has a rich stockpile of oil and shall be brought to our cause in the future.

Our first technology research gets finished - we can look forward to better coordination of our air assests.

We have a lot of heavy cruisers and want to get improved equipment for them - government signs a deal and demands that improvements come in reasonable time.

Our gambling with the Mongols has bore first fruits.

Things started to develop with immense intensity. The plan for attack has been set - we will see how flexible our generals are when things will get hot but nevertheless we have high expectancies. What worries us though is that our forces will get pushed off the established beachheads if the lack of war turns against us. Intel reports about enemy numbers are a bit confusing. We might encounter heavy resistance from the get go but we hope that is not the case since enemy concentrations seem to be more inland, behind the first front lines.
Due to our limited number of transports available we won't be able to throw everything at the enemy and that is where we are the most vulnerable - if the pressure from possible inland enemy concentrations all grind on our established beachheads...

19th July 1936: War started in Spain, now is the time for attack!!! All important international eyes will be focused in the war in Europe so our war act could be less noticed. The gamble thus begins!

Taiwan, 21th July 1936, Attack on Guanxi Clique Commences!

On this day our men shall prove that they are worthy to be the sons of Nippon. If all goes according to our plans our naval infantry will be the first to set foot on the Chinese land in the province of Bao'an and their heroic deeds will be talked about for a long time to come. When they clear and secure beachheads our second wave of infantry will make a big push and will hopefully be able to hold on their own until additional forces come. Their superiority over Chinese troops will be tested on the fields. Poor infrastructure and rough terrain will hopefully help us in our hopes that counter-attacks from enemy inland concentrations will be slowed down just long enough.

First move is made by our Carrier Task Force which lunched a massive attack on Guangzhou airport in order to disorganise and weaken the only air asset Guanxi has. The result was satisfactory and skies above our assaulting troops will be clear of enemy planes in the most critical moments. Pilots noted though that we need to improve considerably the ratio of used ammunition and actual hits made to the enemy planes and airfields.

Simultaneously our 1. Surface Action Group opened all batteries and started bombarding heavily all the areas that were designated for the amphibious attack. One hour later our naval infantry force started an amphibious attack, made initial success but then got pinned down by the enemy defenders for the time being - regardless how hard the enemy got pounded by our naval forces they didn't succumb. Beach pockets were established but our men were spent and could not make the so much needed final push.

High command sent 2 additional infantry divisions which had a rather easy job delivering the final blow.

Our superiority prevailed, Bao'an is taken, provincial enemy defenders are in retreat but now comes the time when we are at the utmost vulnerability - we need to hold on until transport fleets bring in additional soldiers which will be utilized for the push into the mountainous region on our right flank. Our front needs to be broader then just one province so that we can support our attacks inland from different directions. Although the province of Shantou has the toughest terrain very suitable for defenders to utilize in their defences we hope that a combination of frontal amphibious assault from the sea (together with naval bombardment) with our mountaineer units, a flanking supporting attack from Bao'an and our medium bombers who are in reach from Taiwan, will crush enemy's will to hold it's position in the area.

22nd July 1936: Action is carried along according to our plans.

We had rather high casualties but enemy broke down and retreated from this mountainous region - our cavalry forces are landed in the area in hopes of a quick mopping up operation but their advance along narrow and treacherous mountainous valleys is slow and horses spent. Retreating Chinese army blocked the main avenues of approach into the inland areas by destroying bridges and blocking narrow passes with artificially created landslides. Their haste made their attempts mostly futile but slowed down our advance nevertheless. The real problem though proved to be tough local population with their openly hostile inclination towards us an their swift hit and run attacks on our cavalry regiments.
In the end it was mountaineers who managed to completely secure the perimeter by crossing high mountain passes and avoiding routes that cavalry units took beforehand! We can now use this high ground to our advantage by attacking the province of Guanzhou from 2 different directions but it will take a serious amount of time before all units (old and new ones sent from Taiwan) arrive in the area.

With majority of fighting taking place on a hilly terrain our officers are getting very efficient in this terrain type warmongering.

2nd August 1936: Grand opening of Summer Olympic Games!

While the war is raging on and success after success is being achieved by our army for our Emperor we do all the necessary arrangements for the upcoming Olypic Games. We are confident that we will get better results this time.

We are utmost thrilled about the results - whole country is singing heroic songs about our athletes!

On top of all the excitement we finished researching improved carrier tech.

We start researching Pre-Planned Coordination air doctrine which will boost capacity of our air assets.

Last edited:
First off, Hister, I have a couple of questions:

...reserve units (the vanilla militia unit renamed and drastically changed – do not let your knowledge of Militia units carry over to CORE)...
For all those not familiar with CORE (like me :) ) could you please give a brief description of the main differences between vanilla militia and CORE reserve divisions?

Also, another one regarding techs: you're currently researching 10 techs despite having only about 80 effective IC. I get it that CORE lowers the IC requisite for every single tech (i.e. no longer 1 more tech every 20 IC)?

And now, let's tackle the icons matter. First, I have to thank Tegetthoff:

...Just start your normal 0.60 installation with Tripartite and check that all the beautiful model icons are still there...
Too much honour, thank you very much :)

That would be great! Vanilla icons for planes is one aspect CORE is really lacking. I'll need your guidance what you need me to do - I would prefer if you would get in contact with Tegg though since that would be a safer bet when it comes to understanding air type icons and he'll have an easier time explaining you how he would like them to look like. If he's willing/having enough time of course (or anyone else from the devs).
Well, the gist of the matter is very simple indeed.

Just go to \config\models.csv and check Japan's air units' names (that is, starting from jap_model_12_0 till jap_model_18_0 - given that CORE hasn't lengthened this list, which I guess it probably did). You'd have to send me those names so I could compare them with vanilla ones; then I could simply adapt the already existing ones to CORE, and make the missing icons from scratch.

Titan, I'm not using your improved counters with which you can see what units are in a stack in a glance in 0.60 because of the new changes this version brought. It's not comaptible any more because 2 or 3 icons have changed now. Otherwise you would see it in hte AAR
Well, no problem... Unless it's not a super-secret-dontletanyoneseeitbeforehand-project, just send me the new hoi_counter_strip.bmp you're using and I'll see what can I do to restore all the TP's fancy symbols ;)

Edit:
Titan: I suggest you avoid putting year numbers on the unit icons, just stick with the roman numbers. That way your work can be more broadly appliable for other mods or even as a buffer in case things in the mod change. For example if 1941 infantry is changed to be 1942 infantry in the mod when some updates are being made then you would need to waste precious time fixing the year number. With having simple roman numbers that would not be necessary.
I see your reasons but I'm afraid there's little point in doing such a thing.

Switching to roman numbers would be as "fragile" as having year numbers as it is now, e.g. should one day be added another infantry model between II and III, we (that is, I ;) ) would have to redraw the whole infantry model chain from scratch.

Take Darkest Hour, for example. I've quickly abandoned the idea to convert the Tripartite Pack to it since, due to the presence of the WW1 scenario, the DH devs added many new model tiers to almost every kind of unit, in fact forcing me to redraw thousands of icons to match the new setup... a thing I wouldn't surely do, especially since I don't even play that game.

CORE offers a similar problem but, fortunately, is another kettle of fish since I'll likely switch to it in the next future, so I'm much more prone to start such an icon-converting enterprise in regard to this very interesting mod. In that case I'll most probably update the tier levels to be in roman numerals, although this - as written before - gives no real guarantee that there will be no changes in the units model structure somewhen in the future (for unlikely I consider that, but still).

Finally, this is all the more true if we think about making my icons, this way, compatible with yet another mod. Should the new mod's infantry icon tree be different from vanilla's AoD or CORE's one, having years or roman numbers on the icon would make no difference at all - the icons would have to be adapted again.

As a bottom line, apart from all these graphical considerations: I must say that I really like this AAR of yours so far - congratulations and keep it going!

Last edited:

Quick overview of some of the new v0.60 mod features via a short Japanese campaign (Part 5)

20th August 1936: Major Victory!

Almost one month has passed until all troops arrived on the new front and the third major attack commenced. Airfields and ground units in it got pounded again by our CTF (Carrier Task Force) and 1. SAG (Surface Action Group) while troops from Shantou and Bao'an advanced forward. This time there was a huge enemy units presence which reflected in the number of our fallen men. Luckily some of the enemy units were still disorganised from our previous engagements. Once again our superiority prevailed and another province got secured. This time a very strategically important one which we can use as a base for our medium bombers who actually got transferred there as soon as shots in the area got less frequent. We even managed to isolate some enemy forces in the North-East and thus dealt a serious blow to the Warlord.

From this point forward we hold the initiative, high command is as optimistic as ever and seemed to stop being worried about our serious problems of available supply amounts.

News about a major victory against Guanxi Clique got complemented by a finished research. Our Industry once more got into higher gear.

It's a ripe time we delve our efforts into the state of the art air planes - first step is always the hardest...

25th August 1936: First sign of enemy weakness

We rejected the offer - there is a bigger prize awaiting us and nothing can stop us now!

In order to envelop the enemy and silent their air assets forever we lunch a third amphibious assault, this time on the island of Heinan which is only lightly guarded but we will have to fight in a tropical environment we haven't much experience about so far.

Another batch of fresh infantry units were deployed and sent to help the envelopment. Summer is slowly fading into the autumn so we need to hurry up if we are to avoid fighting in winter and all that it brings with it.

Research into medium bombers is finished but we lack the capability to actually start building them. This is bad, we really need those bombers on the skies over the wast Chinese lands when another war starts.

Since the year of 1936 is drawing to a close slowly government assigned our leading scientists to a project not researched at all beforehand - this means it will take us a long time to get any results but radar knowledge seems to be valuable especially for our mighty navy!

Our first ship is finished and ready to be assigned to a 2. SAG.

Our pressure on the enemy mounts...

It's a bit troubling that high revolt levels have been reported in the provinces which don't have our troops in them. We need security forces but don't have any available yet.*

* Note: All the starting ones are locked and can't be moved.

Tokyo's roads and railways are a main topic discussed in newspapers today.

Another major tech is safely in our hands...

Minoru Genda is destined to improve anti submarine capabilities of our destroyers.

Last major enemy attempt to deal a serious blow to our units is averted and enemy is in a major retreat.

More techs are being finished - our naval potential just got much more bigger!

For our future amphibious assaults we will need a big transport fleet and this will help us produce them more rapidly.

Air warfare is proving to be a more and more decisive factor that's why we need to invest in our air defences.

The smell of a total victory is in the air, our unit's morale is invigorated and every soldier is rushing towards the West where the mentioned smell will materialize and our men will finally have some much needed respite.

The old world is changing rapidly and we are the forerunners of all the changes to come in our sphere of influence.

*Note: Stay tuned for whatever new brings Imperial Japan's Chinese adventure...

Last edited:
@Titan: I will answer your post tomorrow. Just too tired now after the colossal new update. My sinuses got wild on top of that :huh:

I suppose you missed Part 4. Go read it and tell me what you think of my gameplay skills :rolleyes:

@Titan: I will answer your post tomorrow. Just too tired now after the colossal new update. My sinuses got wild on top of that
Of course, don't worry - and take care of your health!

I suppose you missed Part 4. Go read it and tell me what you think of my gameplay skills
Well, I've read a bit of it now but I'll analyze it better tomorrow as well.

On a side note: funnily enough I managed, out of pure coincidence and without any intention to reach this goal, to put a post between two of your AAR updates ;)

looks cool,
just a couple of questions. what date is it and what about the big picture (ie how far are you in the north? - can you think of a big pocket already?)
well and glad to see you seem to like some of my stuff...

EDIT: dont know the CORE tech tree, but... wouldnt it be better to have army stuff first until the chinese are finished?
EDIT2: is that your own mod or CORE - the JAP flag isnt the state flag?
EDIT3: as for the date question - sorry i stared at pics only and didnt read properly - where are the weather clouds from (post 50)??? - did i miss something in TP mod?

Last edited:
On a side note: funnily enough I managed, out of pure coincidence and without any intention to reach this goal, to put a post between two of your AAR updates
You are a true master! ;)

ooks cool,
Glad you like it.

just a couple of questions. what date is it
If you mean until when I've arrived in this last AAR check the last inserted picture about the axis powers - date is in the top left-most part.

what about the big picture (ie how far are you in the north? - can you think of a big pocket already?)
I declared war only on Guanxi Clique. Luckily enough Nationalistic China hasn't declared war on me for my raising belligerence. I do hope this stays that way so that I can strengthen my army.

w
ell and glad to see you seem to like some of my stuff...
Sure enough I do! Thank you for your work.

Ok,

The main question regarding CORE above seems to be regarding reserve divisions.

This is an old and very basic CORE feature. Reserve divisions have replaced militia, and the represent - well - reserve divisions raised during the war, usually with a somewhat lighter TO&E, maybe a bit short on artillery and armoured vehicles and using reservists whose military training is a bit out of date, or who have never had any at all. Still, these are regular divisions and fairly well equipped. So a country like Japan may in fact have a good spread of infantry, reserve and mountain divisions to model the spread of possible unit quality.

In terms of Germany, infantry would be the initial army and the early mobilisation "Wellen", while reserve would be later "Wellen".

Ah, and then there is the question of research:

Again, this is an 0.50 development but we have gone for 10 IC TT intervals, so Japan has 10 tech teams. Of course this is balanced with research speed and the CORE tech tree, which has more techs than vanilla. This is especially interesting for medium powers, who now have three or four tech teams available.

Last edited:
Some additional encouragement to Hister:

I have just received a couple of event pics from Hagar, who is also reading your AAR and was encouraged to produce some extra pics for the Suiyuan war, the Rome-Berlin axis etc ...

So keep it up!

Some additional encouragement to Hister:

I have just received a couple of event pics from Hagar, who is also reading your AAR and was encouraged to produce some extra pics for the Suiyuan war, the Rome-Berlin axis etc ...

So keep it up!
Well someone could have just asked when scripting those events... :rolleyes: But it's true I've added some event imagery, based on Hister's AAR. :)

EDIT3: as for the date question - sorry i stared at pics only and didnt read properly - where are the weather clouds from (post 50)??? - did i miss something in TP mod?
Yep, they are in the TP from day one ;) (I've darkened the rain and storm clouds, to tell them at a glance from snow clouds, and I've also added a flash effect to the storm - check it out!).

Ok,

The main question regarding CORE above seems to be regarding reserve divisions.
(...)
Ah, and then there is the question of research:
(...)
Thanks, Tegetthoff - now it's clear.