• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Christonabike!! Looks good..

My normally cool demeanour, waiting for this release, is wearing thin - so if anyone wants to send me the latest closed beta release for testing, I will gladly be their bitch**. ;-)
(...and of course feed back any valuable test info.)

#C

**as long as the missus OK's it.

if you want to play in higher resolutions you maybe want to take the skin with a black frame (can be found in the colour pics + more GFX fore JAP - eg if you declare war ).
Done! :)

i'm actually impressed by the stats of the submarine division (1st post)?! 26 naval attack is a hell of a lot, but combined with super low org ...
Well, Tegg said that the latest internal version which I don't yet have has updated naval and air stats. Don't know if subs stats were also changed in it. Tegg will have to pop up here and say a word or two on the matter. ;) Note that the sub you are referring to is the heavy submarine only Japan can have access to ("H" brigade for heavy).

how long does it take to build one?
KD6-class SS (Long Range SS-3) with heavy submarine equipment brigade takes 376 days to develop.

He he, you are funny Cakes :D

High sea attack values and low org are an old CORE trick, and work pretty well. In hands-off games, as long as you refresh the GER AI in summer 1940 you get very historical sinking ratios against convoys.

Quick overview of some of the new v0.60 mod features via a short Japanese campaign (Part 2)

Note: I borrowed some of the text entries from the CORE manual.

I shall continue my meagre AAR with the starting Japanese Tech Tree overview.

Industrial tech tree

I decided to show Industrial tech tree first because it's the defining cornerstone of every nation and often the foundation of other tech trees. I'll devout a bit more explaining text to this tech tree due to it's importance.

Japan belongs to Semi-industrialized countries (upper right part of the tech tree) which means that it has a large industrial base, but one that is not spread very well throughout the country and also consisting of some old equipment. This means we are slightly limited to the access of the Industry tech tree and often need more advanced techs to open up research into Electronics and Radar. In practice this leads to a situation where our knowledge on higher tech stuff is in average 2 years behind the nations who are already fully industrialized and already made some major breakthroughs on those fields.

There are many other bonuses and maluses that accompany a semi-industrialized nation such as industrial efficiency and capacity bonuses, TC, trickleback and research modifiers, etc.

Although we start with a weakness in higher technological aspects there is one important advantage which can not be so easily overlooked - Japan's relative isolation (upper left part of the tech tree) has left it rather unaffected by global economical depression which hit hard many economies around the world. This means that Japan won't have to invest any resources in economical recovery because it's economy is already up and running. Japan can thus act fast and sting hard from the get go!

CORE has decided to model not just the capacity of a nation (through IC), but also the quality and spread of industrialization throughout a country, as well as a national focus of industrial proficiency, called Design Approach (lower left part of the tech tree). As we can see Japan has Reliability for it's design approach which increases the cost of all units, but instead improves Supply distance and Repair abilities, as well as lowers the Supply consumption of all units. These are significant one time advantages that don't affect other aspects of tech trees and that we should be aware of when playing the mod. Not all countries get Design Approach so this is one of the other advantages Japan starts with.

To the left of the Great Depression are techs for the Manufacturing Industry, with Light and Heavy Industry every two years to represent industrial developments and refinements. Access to Heavy Industry is limited to the Economic Base of the country you’re playing and as you can see Japan does not have access to it at the start.

To the right of this and below the Great Depression are techs for the Armament Industry, divided into four categories: Small Arms, Heavy Arms, Automotive and Aviation as well as Shipbuilding. With the exception of heavy arms Japan can research them at leisure.

We can also research Experimental coal to oil and oil to rubber conversions (lower right part of the tech tree).

Naval tech tree

One of the new 0.60 additions are also reorganised tech trees - dev team decided to make them more easier to comprehend and below we can see naval aspect of the mod at a glance. Now that is what I call "easy to grasp" design! :D

It doesn't come as a shock that Japan is quite advanced when it comes to ships. Smart players can build on this aspect when trying to fight the Allies.

Naval doctrines tech tree

Japan once more excels in naval doctrines which can be used to a great success in any maritime war. Advantage does not last long so the longer you wait with the war against the Allies the worse your naval forces are going to perform. What this tree shows though is that Japan lacks in anti-submarine capabilities together with not very effective submarine warfare doctrines. This all needs to be overcome with other tactics.

Armour and Artillery tech tree

With development of armored divisions being reserved for highly industrialized nations, it still allows for minor nations to develop and deploy tanks in smaller numbers. Japan is somewhat limited when it comes to researching armour and anti-air assets while it has no disadvantages when researching artillery (besides rocket artillery that is). Nothing shocking or new here so I'm brief.

Aircraft tech tree

This tech tree has also been changed according to overall changes that were made for the 0.60 version. Note the easiness of grasping it. One can be torn between investing in 1937 or 1930's aviation industry if there are not enough free tech teams available. Should we go for short or long term investments? Japan being in the brick of war should maybe go for the quick option but that would hurt it on the long run when Pacific war starts.

Again there isn't much else to say, picture is quite self-explanatory isn't it? :)

Air doctrine tech tree

Air doctrine tech tree focuses on the development of an air force organisation, rather then on specific applications of tactics.

As you can see Japan is a the beginning of air doctrination and all that one needs to ask himself is will he lead Japan down the army dependent or independent air group path. First choice reaps results sooner which would be useful in the war with the Chinese but again lacks on the long run when war with Allies commences. Tough decision, big consequences.

Infantry and Land doctrines tech trees

The Infantry tech tree holds techs for various kinds of infantry – from regular infantry to reserve units (the vanilla militia unit renamed and drastically changed – do not let your knowledge of Militia units carry over to CORE) to motorized and cavalry units and specialized units, such as marines and paratroopers. No changes have been made here regarding the 0.60 version.

Japan has a rather big advantage here in that it has besides Temperate also Maritime climate civilian experience, Mountain and Hill civilian experiences (lower left part of the tech tree) which all give nice bonuses to land troops.

Land doctrines determine the efficiency of your forces and are separated from the organization and equipment of the infantry and armored units.

Japan starts with trained reserves, professional officer class but of traditional schooling, balanced military doctrine and other traditional and static doctrines which all together don't make Japan stand out very much in this regard.

Secret projects tech tree

Not surprisingly Japan does not have any secret project knowledge at the start of the game and will probably lack in this compartment since her overall tech team and industrial capacities are not on par with the leading parties of the world.

Interesting, really interesting...

Being used to vanilla tech trees, I have to admit that these ones seem a bit complicated - but I guess it's just a matter of practice. All in all, I very much like the added historical depth they carry along.

Just a question: what exactly does the «'38 Kamikaze» secret weapons tech (at the very bottom of the last picture)?

Besides, very nice mouse pointer you've got there ;)

Nice presentation. I always tend to ignore certain aspects of the tech tree - won´t happen again (I hope). However, while most techs and doctrines advance well into the early 50ies, naval techs and doctrines (with a few exceptions) seem to stop in mid 1940. Any specific reason why?

Hi,

So what´s new in 0.60?
First of all, you now see several techs that have always been in CORE, but were not visible. AoD gives us a larger space for the tech trees, so these techs can now be seen.

Quality, Quantity, Reliability is on example.
The officer classes in the infantry tree are another example.

So this is informative to the player, but does not add anything new.

For something really new, look to the bottom of the industry tech tree. We have the synthetic oil and synthetic materials techs there, which use the new functions that AoD gives us in thie field (and which were not yet in 0.50).

Big changes in the naval tech tree. Most obvious are the submarine techs at the bottom, where we now have three separate types of subs to research, Short Range, Medium Range and Long Range. SR and MR are the standard subs, while LR are the nuclear subs, now returned to something like their vanilla role, after having been used as merchant cruisers, monitors and seaplane tenders in between.

There are many small changes in the naval tech trees, it is generally stream-lined and some techs have been removed. The tech names lose a bit of flavour, but are very representative of the actual main types of ship used in the period.

The naval doctrine and air tech trees have mainly been optically re-arranged, but there are some subtle changes there as well.

Last edited:
Just a question: what exactly does the «'38 Kamikaze» secret weapons tech (at the very bottom of the last picture)?
Have never played so long to unlock it - was hoping Teg can share something on the matter?

Besides, very nice mouse pointer you've got there
Yes, forgot to move it away when I was doing SS ;) Hey, an improvement suggestion - make the handle more brownish so that it stands out more from the rest of the gray blade. Would aslo be good for better visibility.

However, while most techs and doctrines advance well into the early 50ies, naval techs and doctrines (with a few exceptions) seem to stop in mid 1940. Any specific reason why?
Tegg?

50´s techs:

I am not the Tech guru on the team, but there have been some extensions in the current version. There is at least one extre submarine tech.

At least regarding naval techs, there is probably a problem that after the war the major nations were saturated with existing ships, so that few additional development occured for a couple of years, except in carriers. BBs and BCs were dead after the war, so it is quite realistic you do not get more optiones there.

Remember also that much of the development IRW was in radar and missiles, which are in the secret projects tree.

50´s techs:

I am not the Tech guru on the team, but there have been some extensions in the current version. There is at least one extre submarine tech.

At least regarding naval techs, there is probably a problem that after the war the major nations were saturated with existing ships, so that few additional development occured for a couple of years, except in carriers. BBs and BCs were dead after the war, so it is quite realistic you do not get more optiones there.

Remember also that much of the development IRW was in radar and missiles, which are in the secret projects tree.

Seems plausible enough. Still, there have been several developments regarding DD (or DDL) and CL as well as CA in the USA. Some of them have been stopped due to the end of WW 2, but if the war continues in the game, there should be some way to improve even those types of ships.

Hey, an improvement suggestion - make the handle more brownish so that it stands out more from the rest of the gray blade. Would aslo be good for better visibility.
Good idea! I'll look at it during the weekend, thanks for the suggestion. :)

@Titan: this will answer part of the question regarding Kamikaze tech:

I don't know what prerequisites one needs in order to be able to research it. I know what situation historically triggered kamikaze attacks but don't know how it is coded.

Last edited:
Hister said:
I don't know what prerequisites one needs in order to be able to research it. I know what situation historically triggered kamikaze attacks but don't know how it is coded.
maybe look into CORE2_secret_weapon_events (dont know if itas still there, but probably)

Just a quick note to say that the text references to certain nations being at particular Industrial development levels is somewhat out of date (eg Czechoslovakia is no longer considered Fully Industrialised, but is now Semi-Industrialised with some bonus Heavy Industry, for example). And (as ever) some of this stuff is a work in progress, so some things may still be subject to change in due course.

Tim

Quick overview of some of the new v0.60 mod features via a short Japanese campaign (Part 3)

OK, here I am again, this time I'll show you guys (and girls if there are any) what I decided to research, what to build and how my first months of actual game-play went.

Researching the tech tree

I already showcased CORE tech trees last time but let's see what I decided to research from the start of the game. In order to make things that I talk about more easily understandable I invite you to take a peek at Part 2 of this AAR where tech trees can bee seen in their full glory.

*Note: I won't list all of the tech team's effects I researched here, just some which I wanted to outline or it would get too dull for you to read and too time consuming for me to write everything down.

- First on the list is 1936 Light Industry because I need better industrial efficiency which is always great to have especially with IC tight economy Japan starts with. It will also give me infrastructure production bonus which I will need since I'll infra-structurally improve few provinces. It will also allow we to invest into armament industry research later one (which lowers production time of units).

- Second is Basic Landing Craft which makes amphibious assaults and shore attacks more efficient. If researched in time it might even help my marines and soldiers in the Sino-Japanese war.

- Third is 1936 Defensive (Static) which boosts land units organisation, morale and improves other defensive stats. This will be very useful when my units will have to hold the line against Chinese "hords".

- Next up is 1936 Firepower (Traditional) which makes for better odds when assaulting, helps with the TC load, improves supply efficiency, attrition, unit repair and adds a bit to org. and morale of units. Will be one of the essential techs needed for rampaging across China.

- Then we have At Sea Replenishment which enables our naval forces to have better ASW, convoy raiding and naval combat patrol efficiency together with higher org. and morale. This is one of the basic naval techs that Japan doesn't start with and is really important for successful naval operations.

- For the Naval tech tree I decided to go with the 20.000 Fleet Carrier which I tend to start producing as soon as research is finished in order to be ready for the Pacific War. Note that I already have 2 carriers and 2 light carriers being built in the background and will be ready in some time. Those and other naval vessels can't be seen in the production screen which might feel a bit confusing for the newcomers but it works great when you get used to it.

- I assigned Minoru genda in charge of the Combat Air Patrol research. This is one of the important techs that your carriers need. Carrier strikes on airbases and their org. along with morale are strengthened.

- Yamamoto is in charge of Purpose-designed Carrier Air Group Policy which is THE tech one needs if he toys around with carriers. Need I say more?

- I then went with Army-directed Air Arm Organisation instead of with Independent Air arm Formation. There are two reasons why I decided for it. First and most prevailing one was that Japan starts with a blueprint in it and the second one being that I'll need full air support in China sooner then later. Going the Independent Air way would be very tasking for our tech teams - I know that would be better decision in the long run but with Japan you have to make compromises. It's a tough call but I had to made it.

- For the last tech I've chosen 1935 Medium Bomber Development without hesitation. I'll need good and versatile air support in China soon. Since Japan starts with only one medium bomber unit I'll have to build a couple more but I'm not really sure yet if I'll be able to afford them - their production is very expensive IC vice.

Starting Japanese tech overview

I decided to include this pic for all the nerds out there who like to play with numbers and percentages. If you don't belong to such group then there is nothing for you to see here - move along folks! ;)

*Note: Since I have only early beta in my hands stats you see here might not be the same when you get the real thing in your hands.

Starting production

As stated by the devs 0.60 version will have new brigades which you will be able to mix and match in order to get just the type of combination you want - either for air, naval or land units. Let me show you an example of how these new brigades look like below.

When you open up your production screen what awaits you are 3 lines of convoy transports, 4 lines of destroyers and one line of super heavy submarine. Dev team decided to transfer smaller vessels from the Japanese Naval Construction Program to actual production screen and that's why those vessels are there. The rest of the ships are being built in the background.

I decided to hang on to them and not cancel a single one. 3 lines of convoy transports are needed any way and the rest will help me achieving the edge in the Pacific. The bad news is that all those vessels will cut heavily in my ability to produce units which I will need heavily in wast Chinese lands. This also means my upgrades and supplies will suffer a lot before I enter the war.

Since Tokyo, Osaka and Fukuoka have the biggest amount of IC and a rather big amount of resources I decided to improve infrastructure in all of them. Improvements will be done the fastest in Tokyo since it's easier to build rail roads, roads and other stuff on plain ground then on hilly terrain which the other two have. This is a long-run investment which will net me more available IC and resources for my industry to spend in the future. In CORE you can only update your infrastructure in increments of 5% and building it lasts a looong time which is way more historically correct then quick 10% upgrades in vanilla. Once again one of those little things I love with CORE when it gets to bigger plausibility and immersion.

When all that was decided for I started to tinker what land army to start producing and which brigades to attach to them.

- I went with one line of infantry with Construction Engineers to gain on speed, improve my river crossing operations, strengthen dig bonus, lower my soft stats, etc.

- The second choice was infantry division again but this time with Artillery brigade in order to increase my soft attack, enable artillery bombardment option and to increase overall defensiveness of my units.

- For the third line I went with a historical choice Japan made at the time and by that I mean mountaineer division with infantry brigade - such combo is used to represent large Japanese infantry divisions with little artillery. This will give me better org. and morale together with excellent suppression of all those hilly and mountainous provinces we will occupy in the process.

... this is how my final starting production line looks like...

And now get ready for what you have all eagerly awaited for - the actual campaign report! FINALLY some might say :D

Early Japanese campaign - getting ready for Sino-Japanese war

Being already in contact with emergent Mongol Military Government we are notified what happened last year.

Due to our past and current meddling in the Chinese affairs and our de facto rule over Manchuria we've greatly shaken the natural geopolitical balance in the area. Great gains usually come with big problems and our came in the shape of never-ending tensions between our army and Chinese troops. We just got notified about another outbreak of hostilities in the area and decide to send more men there.

Some time passes when we are notified about Winter Olympic games - our athletes are there and we shall see how they perform.

Manchukuo is our only puppet for now but it is a very valuable one. First shipment from their land has arrived to our capital...

In the same day we get news about Italian African conquest.

We are utterly disappointed in how our athletes performed! Let us hope we'll prove worthy in Summer Olympic Games. Good news is that we've established diplomatic ties with the German Reich. People of both countries share similar views on the world. Our nations need not be oppressed any more, we shall strive for great deeds on our behalf in the near future!

Today Kodoha members have stung and they've stung us hard! We'll show no mercy to these traitors - we shall crush them ASAP!

We weakened Kodoha movement with crushing their coup and our minds were somewhat rested for the time being but very disturbing news reached our capital today - Nationalistic China has managed to crush communist revolters in their mountainous strongholds! Looks like Chiang Kai-shek is not such an incompetent fool we had him for.

We've sent Tanaka Ryukichi to deliver news of our strong support for the Mongolian cause. Our meagre supply stock can barely handle such expenses but we have a strong hunch our gambling will pay off nicely for us.

Our army is getting bigger and stronger - our first regular infantry divisions are ready to be sent to Taiwan for our planned invasion of Guangxi Clique. A lot of army that was previously stationed in Mengukuo was also sent to Taiwan.

Today we show no mercy to the leaders of the Kodoha uprising...

With the first mountain unit ready for deployment we can intensify our preparation for the ever nearing invasion...

*Stay tuned for Part 4 of this AAR when our raising Japanese nation will prove what it is really made of in the southern Chinese lands!

wow its already over with Mao?! - should make things more difficult for you.

btw i have a strong feeling that Genda shows up a bit early... (assuming you're still in the 30s)

would have been better if you'd chosen "listen to their demands", maybe - you become a dictator imediatly then..

Yeah, the last times I played it it never happened Mao would vanish - it has to be one of those rare to happen instances, huh.

Maybe listening to their demands would be better yes but I wanted not to go all the way ahistorical ;) For my next game I might try this variant yep and see how it goes.

Last edited:
Small note:

Japan should have 5 TAC at game start, unless Dec changes this during his latest iteration.