• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
No, You have mg, 20mm, 30mm, and 40mm choices for medium tank, any of those deactive the others. Then you have 50mm and 75mm CS options for the Turan II, I may be wrong, but I think that is way it is.

The main problem with Hungary right now is balancing technology, i think a small navy for adriatic would be nice, but naval technology is all but nill and I need to improve my artillery arm alot and get some decent tanks. It will take awhile to upgrade my Magyars to be able to deal with the Russians *shivers* :eek:

I'm pretty sure the only Turan II is the 75mm/S and they're all bunched into basic medium tanks and the Turan III's are improved medium tanks (BTW Turan III's are amazing looking!)

Wow a lot of info on this update. :)

Is it easy for Hungary to conquer Yugoslavia?

yup, it is a nice tank. It with the Zrinyi is my favorite of Germany's allied tanks designs. The Semovonte also up there as well.

Henry v., not at all, out of my 130 manpower reserve (130,000 men) I used up 90 of them (90,000) to fill out my exsisting divisions, I got a 2x manpower growth and the new territories increase that rate even more, so I'm rebuilding quickly.

So I used up about 90 manpower and probaly a few thousand supplies to just rebuild my armies, not counting building my new formations.

Hungarian Order of Battle, Spring 1940

Hungarian Order of Battle, Eve of Barbarossa​

(Damn Germans, invaded early, giving Hungary only about 7 months to build up, when Hungary needed about a year and a half to complete full recovery in conquerored terroritories and convert all tank units to new tanks.

Royal Hungarian Army

6 Infantry Armies
3 Motorized Armies
1 Air Army
Total - 10 Armies

17 Magyar Infantry Divisions
6 Slav Infantry Divisions
2 Mountain Infantry Divisions
5 Motorized Infantry Divisions
4 Tank Divisions
1 Fighter Group
1 Bomber Group
Total - 34 Divisions, 2 Air Groups

Supporting Units
3 Combined Mechanized Battalions (King Andras, Zrinyi and Count Kaloyi)
3 Heavy Tank Battalions (King Sigismund, Honvéd and Arpad)
2 Scout Battalions (King Andras I and Saint Steffan)
4 Motorized Artillery Regiments
1 Motorized Engineer Regiment

Combined Mechanized Battalions
A Battalion consisting of 6 companies, 2 Companies of assualt guns and mobile anti-tank destroyers and 4 companies of infantry support tanks. Corps Reserve.
Heavy Tank Battalions
A Battalion consisting of 5 companies of heavy slow moving tanks and engineer units, used for cracking tough fortifications and slowing powerful enemy attacks. Corps Reserve.
Scout Battalions
A Battalion consisting of 6 companies, 4 companies of light motorcycle and halftrack recon troops and 2 companies of armoured cars. Corps Reserve.

Barbarossa, these will be good times, I bet. :)

Operation Babarossa - To the Dniepr

OPERATION BABAROSSA - TO THE DNIEPR​

Barbarossa1.jpg

The months after 1939 were filled with much activity, Hungary began constructing the "Andras Line" a series of light fortifications along the Carpathians in order to help safeguard against any USSR aggresions.

On the 30th of January, 1940 the Turan I and Zrinyi tanks are ready for combat and 4 Hungarian tank divisions begin converting while two more begin training, they will be ready by the early summer along with 4 new Infantry divisions with engineer brigades. The Greater Kingdom of Hungary also begins construction on a few Submarines to be places in Dubrovnik to protest the Adriatic.

The only major domestic development was the creation of a Croatian Republic on 20th of May, which was a day celebrated by Croats all cross the Kingdom. Ante Pavelic was elected the first President of the Republic and the Republic was placed under Magyar military control.

Technology from Germany is forthcoming, German experts arrive and explain many advances doctrines to the Hungarian military establishment, this new knowledge greatly increases the affectiveness of the military.

On 13th of April 1940, Germany declares war on Russia in light of Russia's failing war against the Finns, although it is admitted that the attack came at a good time, the lack of preparedness is evident when Hungary finds itself with no combat ready tank forces and most of its planned technological advances being put on hold for production of supplies and equipement, the Hungarian High Command knows Barbarossa will be bloody, as a result nearly 500,000 men have been formed up with 15,000 supplies in large depots across Galicia, they will keep the frontline formations on the move.

The Hungarian Military establishment had for the last 5 months been looking at Russia, trying to decide the ebst course of action, the Hungarian Army was too small to carry out any blitzkrieg operations and the Russians would be far tougher than any previous powers. This was only compounded when the High Command realized they'd have to fight the first two months of the war without any tank formations.

Hungary's plan was to hold the Andras line in Galicia intill the tank forces were ready with heavily upgraded Turan Is. Afterwards, Hungary wanted to clear out the basin formed by the Dniepr River and free up the large but poor Romanian Army from its prison behind its own swift rivers. The High Command also wished to take Zjitomir in order to clear the path for the advancing German units on Kiev.

The Ultimate goal for the late summer/fall campaigns was the capture of Kiev and Odessa and the hacking off of Crimea from the rest of Russia.

The Hungarian offensives opened on June 3rd with the Battle of Vinnystia, the Battle was an easy first victory, the Russians were surprisingly spread thin, but that would change quickly. Bakay then launched 23 Hungarian divisions, including all his motorized forces north to take Zjitomer, while to the south unexpectidly, Romania had secured a bridgehead across the Dniestr
River.

As the Hungarian forces marched along the dusty roads of the Ukraine they came under increasingly powerful air attacks, I-16s with rockets raised hell with the motorized divisions and low flying Pe-2 light bombers harassed the infantry formations, as a result the Puma fighter group of Re. 2000s arrived and drove the Russians from the sky. Shooting down hundreds of aircraft, they decimated the Russian air offensive for the loss of only 11% of its total strength.

Finally on June 8th, 23 Hungarian divisions began the offensive towards Zjitomer, Russian resistance was light as tank pincers punched through the hastily prepared trenches of the Russians. The Russians, many tired men from Vinnytsia surrendered and provided lukewarm resistance. Bakay was overjoyed with his success and sent his motorized forces to sieze Zjitomer. Instead of taking it undefended, 6 Hungarian divisions blundered into 19 Russian infantry and 2 armoured formations, the motorized corps were cut to pieces in vicious fighting, although the Turan Is proved capable of dealing with the BT-7s, which was a relief to High Command.

hu-turan1_3.jpg

The linchpin of the assualt on Zjitomer was the hights to the north of the town, where were packed with Russian artillery. Bakay decided to launch an attack through the woods to the north of it, moving tank and infantry forces down the ravines up to the flank of the hill. 2 Regiments of infantry with a battalion of tanks were assigned to the task, and 5 field batteries were assigned to support them. They began working up the ravine, running into some minor Russian outposts, as they approached Hill 213 they ran into two belts of Russian defences infront of a large dried riverbed, which subsequently lead to the hill. The first belt was easily taken, the hungarian set up mortars and some heavy machine nests to cover the advance of the tanks and riflemen, and the attack began. They came across abandoned trenches filled with Russian wounded and were jubilant, then a Russian 120mm howitzer shell exploded in the Magyar ranks, killing several men. The men dived for cover, Russian machinegun fire began from the woods and a massive "Oooouarh" came from the forest, as 120mm shells exploded among them, the Hungarians clawded into the trenches, by the frightened Russian wounded as hundreds of Russian infantrymen poured from the forest with BT-7s in support. The Turan Is opened fire, a BT-7 exploded into flames, but the Russian attack continued. The Russians poured from the dried river bed, the Hungarian infantrymen opened fire on them, but lacked any machineguns. The Russians poured into the trench and hand to hand combat began. The men fought bitterly with rifle butt, helmet, grenade and bayonet. Sounds of agony rose from the trench as the Russians began pouring past the trench. The fighting raged for another 5 mins and only a fraction of the Hungarians managed to escape. The Magyar reserves, hearing the comotion were anxiously waiting, soon Magyar troops began running out of the woods as the chatter of tank machineguns was heard. The leftovers of the Hungarian battalion now fought off the waves of russian infantry, one by one the Turans fell to Russisan tanks. The Russians stream from the woods, the Magyars were in disaray, but 4 machineguns came alive, mowing down rows of Russian infantrymen before the Hungarian positions. The Hungarians now counter-attacked, bringing the light machineguns forward. The Hungarian with anti-tank magnetic mines managed to knock out some BT-7s, the rest the Russians abandonded. The Russian troops began fleeing through the forest for the Hill. The Hungarians pushed all the way up to the hill and in a coup captured it along with 75 Russian artillery pieces. The position was re-enforced from Russian counter-attack and held. Throughout the battle of Zjitomir, 3 Hungarian Motorized Divisions and 2 Infantry Divisions were annhilated, the Russians paid with 12 Russian Infantry Divisions and 2 Tank Divisions annhilated. But the losses Bakay suffered were not easily replaced.

Barbarossa2.jpg

The Russian-counter-offensive along the southern line, probaly 40-60 divisions strong opened up a new opprotunity to the Hungarian high command, the encirclement of roughly 22 Russian divisions, 5 of them armoured. The plan drawn up would clear out the Dniepr basin, take Odessa and spell the doom for over 20 Russian divisions. The plan went into affect, the tired Hungarian troops achieved the objects quickly though, at Kirovograd, the Russian troops were overwhelmed and two tank armies followed by two regular armies pushed to Dnepropetrovsk. At this time The Hungarian command recieved many re-enforcements, the Romanians placed 3 divisions of the 1. Romanian Corps under Magyar control and the Germans placed the 18 division strong German 11. Armee under Hungarian control.

image060.jpg

Dnepropetrovsk fell on 29th of June and the siege of Odessa began on July 2nd and raged onwards with Romanian support to July 18th. The Germans to the north attacked and took Kiev, providing a bridgehead over the Dniepr and German forces were used to stiffen the tottering Hungarian troops (losses had been heavy) against the heavy Russian counter-attacks. The pocket held though and on July 29th a Romanian-Hungarian mop-up force easily took out the pocket.

fotoid44h.jpg

The Hungarian armies now turned to cut off Crimea from the rest of Russia. The plan went into affect, von Csatai's 2nd Army with the German 11. Armee in support would make for Stalino and then Rostov, and the Mius River. After a few weeks of re-organizations the offensive started on August 3rd, Stalino was easily taken but 25 Russians divisions launched a counter-attack from Rostov, von Rundstedt's Axis Army taking a heavy beating. The Russians also began using T-34s for the first time, the Turan proved inadequate for facing such armour.

German pincers continue on to Rostov, the Germans mostly making the Rostov offensive successfull. On August 9th the offensive was ended, the Hungarian armies were exhausted, losses had been heavy, supplies were depleted and the Hungarian Army was badly needing a time of rest, the High command decided to liquidate the Crimea by the end of the year, but otherwise operations would cease.

Axis Situation, Late Fall 1940

The Year of 1940 proved to be turbulent, one the one hand fairly large advances were made on the Russian front, but Africa and France come under more and more pressure everyday. Sicily was taken by a large British force in July and the Italian navy is generally non-exsistant. In Africa, the Italians are holding out, the battleline shifting back and forth across eastern Libya and Egypt. About 23 Italians divisions are facing about 12 Allied divisions (Egyptian-British-South African-French).

In France, the Americans, who declared war early in 1940 have landed about 13 Divisions at Caen, but they were liquidated. Several other powerful American expeditions were launched, all liquidated but draining German resources from the East.

Norway declared war late in 1940, but they have done nothing productive. The German navy is pretty much off the map, only transports and subsmarines left.

In late 1940 a large american force landed in Morroco, they have pushed somewhat far inland.

The Axis have been all but driven from the sea and therefore it is only a matter of time till Libya and Algeria fall. On land Russia is going well, but not as well as it could, this is largely due to Germany's rash DoW, leaving its major southern ally with its pants down and handicapping its ability to launch a powerful southern offensive, major Russian formations that could have been encircled escaped, because the Hungarian Army was too small and German-Romanian support to late.

The winter will be dedicated to building new motorized formations and many new artillery-engy re-enforced infantry formations. Turan IIIs with 75mm guns will be equiping the tank divisions by spring 1941.

Great work with Hungary. I hope the Maygar people can perhaps find a separate peace with Comrade Stalin, just in case Herr Hitler slips up. ;)

Operation Barbarossa - Exhaustion

OPERATION BARBAROSSA - EXHAUSTION​

Heeresgruppe Süd

Hungary
1. Hungarian Army - 7 Inf
2. Hungarian Army - 7 Inf
3. Hungarian Army - 3 Inf
4. Motorized Hungarian Army - 2 Tank
5. Motorized Hungarian Army - 2 Mot, 2 Tank
6. Hungarian Army - 3 Inf
7. Motorized Hungarian Army - 1 Tank
8. Hungarian Army - 3 Inf
9. Hungarian Army - 3 Inf
10. Hungarian Army - 2 Inf

Germany
2. Armee - 2 Inf, 1 Mot
7. Armee - 7 Inf, 1 Mot
11. Armee - 12 Inf, 2 Mot

Romania
1. Romanian Army - 7 Inf
2. Romanian Army - 6 Inf, 2 Mtn
3. Romanian Army - 1 Inf, 4 Cav
Romanian Reserve Army - 4 Inf

tablo1kep3.jpg

General Beregffy Arrives at Frontlines

Towards the end of August, the German High Command approached the Hungary about continuing the southern offensive to take pressure off the northern attacks. The Hungarian High Command, agreed, only because Romanian Armed forces were put under Hungarian Control and German supplied 25 Divisions. This new awesome force would be facing roughly 2x as many Russians, the Hungarians forces were lacking in organization and avaliable recruits were getting lower with every battle. Nonetheless, Operation Konrad was launched to take Stevastapol and enter the Kuban Peninsula. The offensive started with Jodl taking half of 11. Armee and pushing to take Maikop and cut off Stevastpol, due to lack of forces, Rostov was abandonded and Jodl would be supplied via sea from Odessa. As Jodl's men pushed south through rough terrain, they encountered no Russians, but the going was slow. Meanwhile Rundstedt and Bakay combined into a 30 + divisional German-Magyar force to take Stevastapol from the 28 Russian divisions holed up inside of it. The Romanian Navy furthur blockaded the Crimea.

The Russians began a whirlwind of vicious counter-offensives, Kiev was assualt by Konev with over 35 Divisions facing off against 17 German and later re-enforced by 3 Hungarian divisions. Kiev barely held and the 9. Hungarian Army sufferened 50% losses. The russians took Rostov and hurled 17 divisions at Donetsk, facing off against 6 Hungarian infantry divisions, in the nick of time the Romanian 1. Army joined the line and the battle was turned. The battered German 7. Army guarding Kiev, at 45% strength was put under Hungarian command, numbering 8 divisions. The German 2. Armee, a small force also around Kiev was also put under Hungarian command, the Hungarians decided to spread out the German troops to stiffen the backs of the Romanians, who were largely guarding Donetsk and Kiev.

On October 1st, Bakay-Rundstedt's powerful Army moved south as Maikop was taken along with Krasnador. The Axis forces pushed steadily into the Crimea, but the Russians resisted bitterly at Yalta, Simferopol and a siege began. For 2 weeks the Germans blasted Stevastapol while assualt units pushed more and more inland. The Russians meanwhiled launched another brutal counter-attack on Kiev, this time with 42 divisions. The 20 or so odd Axis divisions were nearly overwhelmed, but two Turan I tank divisions stripped from the Dniepr front managed to hold the line, Romanian 2. Army forces suffered 50% losses, similar losses were inflicted on the rest of the Axis forces.

1942june07.jpg

Attack on Stevastopol

In late October Stevastapol fell, eliminating another 28 divisions from the Soviet order of battle and Rundstedt moved to secure the tottering north flank while Bakay went to re-enforce Jodl's position.

In Early November the Russians counter-attacked along the entire line, Donetsk, Kiev being the focal points again. Donetsk was lost after a bitter fight but von Csatai's hurled his 7 infantry divisions at the exhausted russians and routed them. Kiev barely held against Konev's massive assualts and Romanian losses were becoming dangerously high.

In mid-November good news, Croatia had formed a corps of infantry and was being transported east, Japan, Manchukou, Inner Mongolia and Siam all entered an alliance with Germany, a new front would now open with Russia.

In the north German forces pushed to Novgorod and Minsk, Germany had achieved what it wanted, taking pressure off the north and putting it in the south. The price being the massive losses inflicted on its Axis allies, Romania especially suffering heavily, Germans and Hungarians to a lesser extent. The Hungarian forces dug in for the winter, for it would be a long one. Hungarian tank forces were pulled out of the line and being rebuilt, the infantry formations would have to endure at the front.

Excellent AAr spitfire ;) really like the battlescenes. Reminds me of the good ole times at Rp.

im surprised that the italians arent dragging you down with them though :)

Thanks guys, I appreciate it alot.

The next update will be the entire year of 1941.

Szalasi's take-over of the government, defeats in the east and the new "Balkans" Order, where Hungary is in control.

Military take-over of Romania, weakening of relations with Germans, a new wave of terror and desperate rear-guard actions in the east. The Germans are going down and ragging Hungary down with it.

The Downward Spiral - 1941

THE DOWNWARD SPIRAL - 1941​

hu}1944c.gif

(Sorry for no ingame screenies, but I forgot to take them, sorry :( )

The winter of 1940 was relatively silent, the Germans pushed to take Moscow, but in the south it remained stagnant, the Russians mostly putting troops in the north.

During the winter the Hungarian airforce was expanded with an additional fighter group and two ground attack groups equiped with German Stukas. Research continued on gaining more advanced fighters. The shattered Hungarian motorized armies rebuilt, assisted by German technologies. (two important tech shares were made, mid-war land doctrines and mechanized HQs, giving me Mech units) 3 Motorized infantry divisions were completed with artillery brigades attached and by early spring 1941 4 mechanized divisions began construction with engineer regiments attached. The tank forces themselves began upgrading, the new Turan IIIs being equiped, with Yugoslavia's industries by now upgraded nicely 6 tank divisions in earnest began equiping to the new Turan III with a high velocity 75mm anti-tank gun.

Because of the re-armament of the motorized arm and the difficulty of the terrain beyond the Don River Basin, the Hungarian High Command decided it was best to launch a series of limited offensives with infantry and mountain troops into the Caucasus to divert Russian attention but avoid major confrontations, the Hungarian military establishment needed to make up the time that was lost because of Germany's early opening of an Eastern front.

Because of this, in May Bakay's Kuban Army Group consisting of his own 1. Army, Beregffy's 6. Army and the Romanian 2. Army launched an offensive from the Maikop holdings to take Batsumi and Tsbilsi to grab the oil fields there and push on to Baku. The going was rough but the 1. Hungarian army easily took Batsumi and Tsbilsi fell afterwards to the Romanian 2. Army.

The second part of the offensive was carried out by von Csatai's Don Army Group consisting of the 2., 3., and 8. Armies attacked out of Rostov to take Krasnador from the Russians, linking with the Maikop holding. This operation, although costly succeded after bitter fighting. The attacks died down down July and disaster began hitting the Axis on all fronts soon there-after.

zrinyi3.jpg

First in Italy, Libya finally fell, 25 Italian divisions, including 2 Armoured, were lost instantly and the Italian navy in Libya was driven to sea and destroyed. Sicily, already an allied holding was re-enforced by Americans and fierce battles raged in Calabria, the Italians barely holding. In France, two powerful British-American-New Zealander landings captured Caen and Lille, and unlike the other beachheads, they held, although just barely. This called for German troops movements from the east, leading to the disaster north of Moscow in late July. In late July the Germans began pushing north of Moscow to Archlangesk and to cut off the Russian forces struggling in Finland, this attack, went start off well turned to disaster when a powerful Russian force smashed in Moscow and re-took it, isolating 33 German divisions north of Moscow in a unfriendly and very cold terrain. Within weeks this force was annhilated, including over 14 German panzer divisions, this catalyzed a series of events, in the north Novgorod was taken, and then Pskov, the area around Moscow was re-taken and the Germans were driven back to Smolensk, despite German success in taking Stalingrad the collapse in the north forced the Germans to fall back in the south to shore up the north. The Hungarian-Romanian Armies prepared defences and covered the south front while German forces pulled out. The Hungarian high command, realizing the dire situation and the fact the Russians could outflank the Dniepr line pulled out of the Caucasus back towards the Kuban and sent the Hungarian 6. and 9. Armies north with the Romanian 3. Army to help the Germans, they engaged in brutal battles around Grodno and Smolensk, but the Russians were checked with massive losses.

At this time the Hungarian Andras line was further beefed up, incase of an another disaster in the east. The Romanian 4. Army under Antonescu in the west was withdrawn under Hungarian orders to to the east and formed in Slovakia from scattered Romanian units, at 12 divisions strong, it was placed in the extreme north under German command. In August, Maikop was abandoned and the German 11. Armee under Rundstedt given back to German command. This shortening of the line eased worries in the Hungarian high command. In late August, this proved good for massive soviet offensive hit Rostov and Kursk, taking Kursk. However re-enforcements consisting of the 5 Division strength Hungarian 4. Motorized Army re-took Kursk and Rostov held easily with Romanian re-enforcements.

turan1_3.jpg

General Veress, who was promoted in early 1941 for his actions at Odessa and Stevastopol described his counter-offensive in his war dairy "Blood, Iron and Motherland." ( ;) )

Kursk_Attack.jpg

"Towards the end of August we left out depot positions in Lwow for the Eastern front, my new command of 3 Tank divisions and 2 Motorized infantry divisions was very powerful, the men were motivated and very fresh. The new recruits had a very long time to train as we were rebuilding in Galicia for the past spring and summer. We arrived on the Kursk front to find a dire situation. I meet with General Ternegg-Ratz, commander 8. Army, to discuss the counter-offensive. He informed me I would be facing Rokossovsky's Combined North Ukraine Front, consisting over 20 Russian divisions. The Russians however were tired he explained and the combined Romanian-Magyar assualt should outdo them. The Russians also will never have faced Turan IIIs. With these factors I believed we had a good chance of victory and I placed my men accordingly. The River split split the battlefield into two main sections, the North and South, Rokossovsky's main tank force positioned in the southern Bulge. Veress decided to take advantage of this and placed his two tank divisions to attack for Kursk itself, sieze its three main bridges. Behind it would follow two motorized infantry divisions. The thrid motorized division would be placed in the north to stiffen the northern Romanian attack. The forces in the south would be assualted by Ternegg-Ratz's tired infantry supported by 2 ground attack groups. The Attack counted on surprise and speed.

The attack began early in the morning and with no pre-emptive bombardment the Russians were caught completely by surprise, the new heavy Hungarian tanks crushed Russian defences and they began driving for Kursk, slicing through the Russian infantry reserves, many of them on the road marching to the south to support the exasperated tank units. The Romanian attack got off to a tougher start, facing two Guards infantry divisions, the 3rd and 15th. The Hungarian 1. Motorized Division, still commanded by my friend Szepek from Yugoslavia described his attack to me.

"Our men went forward with great dash, I myself riding along in a Csaba command vehicle. The Romanians were greatly optimistic and attack with vigour on the flanks of our own assualt. The men rolled forward in their halftracks, cautiously, as artillery rolled infront of them. Soon machinegun fire began spraying the trucks from the forward Russian bunkers. The assualt squads inched forward and with grenades took the bunkers out of action. The motorized troops pressed out, the assualt troops hitching a ride on the few Toldi III support tanks. The men pressed form the forest into the mined open field infront of the Russian positions, our artillery roared along their line as the men rushed from their vehicles. The vehicle MGs started up the fire and small 50mm mortars start tactical fire. The Toldis assumed lead position and followed by waves of infantry pressing forward as the artillery died down. The Russian lines were silent and the men pressed over the smoking shell holes and torn barbed wire. At this moment Russian machine guns opened up, cutting down men and a few anti-tank weapons opened fire. The tanks responded with a fire of shot and shell and the men crawled forward, the Czech light machine guns providng support fire. The men got with meters of the Russian positions and hurled grenades followed by a great rush of men. Troops fell over by the dozens, the Russian Guards troops fire bitterly as the men fell into the trenches. Hand to hand combat broke out as the Toldis rolled over the trenches and pressed onwards. The men pressed on with grenade and bullet towards the seocnd line of the defenses. The Romanians joined the attack and rolled forward in our halftracks to support our troops. The attack continued with great carnage and impetius to the south..."

We pushed onwards and onwards, crushing any Russian force put in our way towards Kursk, after 3 days it was taken and the next day we hooked up with Szepek's tired but jubilent troops. The Russians to the south attacked violently north, but our 75mm anti-tank guns covered the river banks with accurate fire. At least two tank attacks were repulsed. The Russians capitulated days later. Passing into our hands over 60,000 Russian captives and hundreds of tanks out of petrol..."

nimrod1.jpg

With the great counter-offensive at Kursk the Hungarians re-stabilized the situation in the south and finally put an end to the great Russian advances in the east, but the damage was done and Axis initiative in the East was quickly falling. The success of Veress made him Command of Army Group East Ukraine, a force consisting of Hungarian 4. Motorized Army, the Hungarian 8. Army and the Romanian 1. Army.

Meanwhile the Hungarian government took complete military control over Romania and the Romanian 4. Army began arriving in the east by September and with them came the Hungarian 11. Army of 6 divisions. They were placed as a General Reserve for the Hungarian-Romanian Front.

next - Terror in Hungary and the Axis situation in the world at the end of 1941.

The Fist of Iron - 1941

THE FIST OF IRON - 1941​

hu}arrow.gif

At home, Arrow-Cross' power grew to unstopable porportions during 1940, the thousands of dead men and boys flowing from the front spread resentment and the growing violent nature of the Serbians further enhanced this anger. The Arrow-Cross party harnassed this anger and focused it on Miklos Horthy, Regent of Hungary. Szalasi in the Hungarian Parliament called on Horthy to resign from his position and a new regent me elected. Horthy, by now an ageing man, tired of both the war and the Fascists was too eager to leave. He gave up his position, to the surprise of Arrow-Cross and Szalasi won the election and became Head of both State and Government, virtual supreme dictator of Hungary. This was greeted with great happiness by Hitler and Mussolini, who both came to Budapest to congragulate Szalasi's success. Szalasi himself was surprised by his sudden move to dictator of Hungary. The impressionable Szalasi listened to Hitler's appeals for the removal of jews of open society into seperate ghettos. Szalasi, in exchange for further military technology agreed and Arrow-Cross' Party Security Force took to the streets with Theodore von Eicke's, future commander of 3. SS-Panzer Division, Gestapo troopers. Thousands of jews, who intill now were treated reasonably well were forced to abandon their homes with only an hour of notice and forced to march to poorly built tennants in the poorest, dirtiest parts of towns. The ghetto in Budapest being very large. The jews were heavily resentful of this, those who had fled Germany and Italy were rounded up and put on trains to head for Germany...

The public outcry was very large, and protests formed on the streets of Belgrade, Bratislava, Debrecen, Szeged, Budapest and other major cities.

szalzi.jpg

Szalasi entering the Prime Minister's building escorted by Arrow-Cross Security troopers.

Szalasi's response was a brutal campaign of oppresion, the first target being the media, several media outlets were shut down and hundreds of liberal and conservative editors and writers were sent to live in the Jewish ghettos, regardless of ethnicity. Many people fled from Hungray to Bulgaria and Romania, which were much less repressive. Jewish soldiers in the army, although a very small minority (jews were not apart of the Drafts of 1939-1940, because they were thought to be inferior, although many worked in factories) were stripped of rank and arms and sent with military dishonourment to the ghettos as well.

01-0420.jpg

The second part was a brutal campaign against dissenters, especially the Serbians. In August two Reserve Hungarian divisions arrived in Serbia with attached Arrow-Cross Security Units. Communist ringleaders were dragged from their beds and hanged. In a village in Northern Kosovo 13 people were hanged when a road-side bomb killed a Hungarian soldier. Szalasi also uprooted liberal dissenters and underground newspaper organizations, speedy "trials" and executions by pistol were common for the enemies of Arrow-Cross. Tito, formed partisan bands and the begining of a resistance movement started in Kosovo. The Slovakians and Croats remain loyal, however Szalasi's decision to disband Slavic formations and renumber and name them into the regular Hungarian military structure was unpopular. Croatians being moved to the Andras line was also unpopular. Szalasi's iron fist over Greater Hungary strengthens everyday.

Axis Situation, 1941
1941 was a year filled with many reverses and successes. Argentina joined the Axis powers early in the year and a new front opened with Uruguay. In the summer Spain also joined the Axis, this was partially off-set though with Chile's entry into the war on the Allied side, the war in South America escalates. Gibraltar was taken, but this did little to ease up pressure on the Italians. Italy continues to hang on.

Already described is the Axis campaigns in the East and France, Siam captured Rangoon and Signapore during the summer, but a nationalist china offensive managed to sever Indo-China from China. The Japanese took Phillipines and Guam and limited attacks in Dutch East Indies took place. The Royal Navy and the Imperial Japanese Navy continue a struggle around Australia.

At the end of 1941, the emerging strength of Hungary is off-seting German defeats and Italy seems to be in a strengthing position, but if Greece enters the war, it may prove disasterous to Italian Albania. And provide a new front for Hungarians to fight on. The situation remains tense.

So far so good ForgottenImmort, the political situation in Hungary is disturbing as expected! I'm surprise the Italians are holding at all! And Chile joined the Allies? That actually is amazing as South America is interesting for once! Do you think your victories can offset Germany's mediocre performance though?