• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
As the year was drawing to a close, the spread of the Black Death seemed – mercifully – to have stalled.
A sign from the gods that the Black Death hasn't reached Russia? Or simply a sign of their good hospital program? Either explanation is plausible.
The new King Halsten of Sweden showed some early promise when he managed early in 1166 to win the conquest begun by his father back in May 1161 of far-off Bayda, against the weakened Abassid Caliph Jalil.
Surprising. Too bad the Suez won't be built for another 900 years.
Prince Þorfinn ‘the Half Brother’
I see what you did there :D!
At the very start of the new year of 1168, an opportunity came to Toste to finally end a long and possibly quite dangerous situation – with his old tutor, Aleta Lade! The death of another old rival gave him pause to reflect; and the decision he made led to something of a long-distance reconciliation between the two.
Let's hope Aleta stays away from court. Who knows what she could get up to.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Well, at least India is still free. :D Just catching up....

• 3Like
Reactions:
I've finally caught up on this, after a restart to see what I missed. Certainly a wild ride, but we'll see how it shakes out...

• 2Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Thank you for this wide-ranging report! Great to see your empire doing so well. Plus you seem to have Aleta in her place too. Does this mean that the world is going your way so much that calamity is ultimately around the bend? One hopes not. Banish such pessimism.
Oh, I think at this stage a little calamity would help to spice things up!
Also, great job with the visuals. I noticed the appearance of the ancient Odin amulet. I have considered using it too, but was not as brave as you. I may use the flipside sometime in the future though.
Thanks. Yes, I liked the Odin amulate. And I think I did see you use it a little while later too - excellent!
Quite the honor! Huzzah! Long may Toste reign! One of these days I will get this in one of my play-throughs too.
Yes, with that much heavy raiding by standing armies in between real wars, the Fylkirs do get plenty of Viking status point. ;)
Congratulations to the Fylkir. Seems those Dark Fylkirs could not ruin the faith. (Or Aleta for that matter.) Again: huzzah!
I guess even the nasty Gods are still part of the 'pantheon'.
And now a third huzzah! To the empire!
It's taken over six years of real time, but 300 years of game time in Ironman (without it breaking irrevocably) is a milestone I'm quite happy with.
Ah, those pesky half-brothers. What would we do without them to keep us on our toes in our Norse games?

King Þorolfr sends good tidings and also welcomes your success.

ThoroflrBlessing.png
And you too Þorolfr! With all those concubines, there's plenty of opportunity for pesky half-brothers.
Poor Byzantium... they have to deal with Russian raids and the Black Death at the same time.
Well, at least both are limited this time. A few in southern Italy and the Black Death (2nd iteration) just acting like a normal epidemic, it seems, not even expanding out of East Rome.
Actually, the plague seems to be avoiding Russia... that's suspicious... Why was Toste suddenly willing to end his rivalry with Aleta? Did something happen? Is there another Dark Fylkir on the end, so she's willing to wait? Did Toste make a secret deal? ;) In all honesty, he's probably innocent of that, but it would make such a good saga...
Hehe, it's avoiding pretty much everyone, except the Russian outpost in Athens, which it did strike. I was half expecting another horrible sweep north.
:)
a heir uncontrolled by the player is a fickle thing, let's see what he becomes
I know, this was a bit irritating. I was even considering one of Aleta's genius daughters for a betrothal! :p
about the next target, I cannot see clearly but if the de jure kingdom of Trebizond now includes Tsarigrad, then that's the best option!
I'll check next time, but I'm thinking I'd rather pick something more contiguous. Or even a Norse Runesade to Palestine!
A sign from the gods that the Black Death hasn't reached Russia? Or simply a sign of their good hospital program? Either explanation is plausible.
Probably the former, as all that work on the latter has yet to be tested. All the other realms (than Byzantium, and it's even been limited there) are relieved too.
Surprising. Too bad the Suez won't be built for another 900 years.
:D Still, if taken it could still be used as a transhipment point if we could get boats on the other side, as it was in antiquity.
I see what you did there :D!
;)
Let's hope Aleta stays away from court. Who knows what she could get up to.
I think she's stuck now in Noregr and shouldn't be starting a murder plot either, now.
Thank you for the update. I like to praise the AI. Good job by Sweden getting a piece of Yemen. Great job by the Hindus.
Fair dues where earned, yes.
Well, at least India is still free. :D Just catching up....
Yes, I don't think we'll be trying anything there before the Mongols and Aztecs start showing up. Thanks for the effort.
I've finally caught up on this, after a restart to see what I missed. Certainly a wild ride, but we'll see how it shakes out...
Yes, I tracked that - very much appreciated! It's now getting a little closer to the big external invasions, but still a way off.

Thanks very much everyone, for reading and commenting. Next chapter shouldn't be too far off publishing: it's back to war for the Fylkir!

• 2Like
Reactions:
Chapter 56: The Wars of the Tulunid Succession (1169-71)
Chapter 56: The Wars of the Tulunid Succession (1169-71)

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

The Malian War

The Shia Caliph Bannu of Mali had launched his claim war on Timbuktu on 22 December 1167. It took until 4 February 1169 for them to take the main castle at Araouane, by which time the Jomsviking army that had been sent to evict them was still well to the north. When they arrived in late June 1169, the far smaller Malian army had already left.

Araouane was retaken by 8 July after an assault, following which the Jomsviking officer Sirtya took the troops to Oualata, where Prince Ali’s army was easily defeated in early October. Sirtya then headed for the Caliph’s capital in Gao, laying siege in early December and taking until February 1170 to occupy two holdings.

JHpVeL.jpg

Rather than continue the war any further, Toste offered Bannu a white peace at that point: the Jomsvikings were needed elsewhere and they had a very long march back north ahead of them.

P8lD79.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Raiding in Southern France and Italy

January 1169 saw one Guard raiding army in Tulunid Armagnac and another in Byzantine Barion in southern Italy. The onset of severe winter conditions in Armagnac in early February caused the raid to be abandoned after just one holding had fallen for 94 gold crowns. Sigtrygg’s force of around 10,000 would then head from the better-supplied Agen to swing east around the Pyrenees towards Valencia, to begin further raiding against Tulunid Spain.

Over in Italy, the last holding in Barion fell on 15 March for just 66 crowns, after which the raiders would head over to Gaeta. But the raid there had only been in progress for a couple of weeks when a major political event in Tulunid Spain caused new orders to be issued …

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

The Tulunid Empire Collapses

On 18 April 1169, Yassir Tulunid was unseated and imprisoned after the revolt against his perceived decadence triumphed, led by the Suhailid dynasty. The former Tulunid state splintered into a myriad of smaller independent realms.

qBXhDo.jpg

A few days later, the first of these new states – the Abdulid dynasty in North Africa – joined the Muslim pact against the Rurikids.

This was the trigger for Toste to strike while the opportunity for gains against isolated Spanish states remained briefly open. To gain as much ground as possible, five holy wars and a conquest were launched on 22 April.

d1ILRe.jpg

These six wars overlapped two internal struggles that had already broken out between the Tulunid successor states over Viscaya and Salamanca. With the Malian War still going at that time, this meant Russia was now involved in seven simultaneous wars.

ZKYtZr.jpg

A muster of all the western and central continental European levies, both Imperial demesne and vassal, was conducted. Together with the Guard retinues already in Spain and Italy, soon over 130,000 troops were on their way to the battlefields of Spain.

Un0Whq.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

The Tulunid Succession Wars – Early Stages

After about a month, Sigtrygg’s Guard army was approaching Valencia and the first levy contingents were converging. Some more distant Muslim states had joined three of the holy wars and more would in coming weeks and months but they were mainly fairly small and very distant. None would have any real impact on the course of the war.

WhQM2u.jpg

But as a few more joined, in early June Russia’s sole formal ally (and next largest Norse realm) England was invited to join the fray. Young King Fredrik, Toste’s nephew, happily agreed and would soon have a sizeable army mustering. They would eventually be concentrated into a few larger armies and sailed over to Spain to join the fun.

tLGFyQ.jpg

First blood was drawn at the Battle of Elx in Denia on 10 June 1169. There, a mainly Guard army now commanded by General Hubert completely destroyed an Amirid army that had dared to invade Russian territory. Hubert followed this up with an advance on Calatrava, where a coalition of enemy armies was trying to take the single Russian holding in what was now Suhailid country. This proved to be one of the larger battles of the Wars, won by 4 September after a month of fighting.

cxQUy7.jpg

Overlapping this battle was another to the north in Soria, where a levy army under Hrörekr had another substantial battle against the main Umayyad force from 12 August to 10 September. A large proportion of the other Guard and levy armies had already closed up to southern France and north-east Spain. A siege of Armagnac had already begun and Hubert and Hrörekr would do the same in Calatrava and Soria after their victories there. A consolidated summary map of the many sieges of the war is provided later.

Toste’s Concubine, Shieldmaiden Ulfhildr, was given her own command of 9,400 levies in Toulouse in late September, with the English contingent ordered to join her as they began to arrive from the north and by sea. By this time, with so many armies in operation, only one commander could generally be spared for each, the flanks usually being commanded by senior warriors below General rank.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

The Tulunid Succession Wars – March to July 1170

As sieges were established in central and southern Spain, the focus on field battles switched to northern Spain, with twin battles in Dax and Navarra fought from late-February to March of 1170. At Tudela in Navarra, the last remaining force of Gascogne was unlucky enough to be engaged by an army of Russian levies, a large English contingent and co-located Russian vassal troops from Sardinia and Transylvania who happened to be passing through at the same time. The enemy never stood a chance.

WLTlDr.jpg

In Dax, Sigtrygg had pushed across from Armagnac as levies took over the siege, to evict a sizeable army of Gascognian rebels. The battle did not contribute to the warscore against Gascogne: the rebels were simply in the way! A couple of assaults against skeleton garrisons would see Dax fully occupied by early May.

In early April, the siege of La Mancha was broken after the first holding fell, when a large enemy coalition army (over 10,000 men from Umayyad, Beja and Wannaqo) was spotted in Tulaytulah. The large Russian levy army did not have a recognised commander but attacked anyway: the aim was to destroy the major enemy field armies as they appeared, so more routine siege work could then continue without major interruption.

R9e319.jpg

As that was happening, the Calatayud Emirate joined the defence of Emir Ali or Cordoba. Another approaching levy army then in Barcelona was ordered to deal with them while another nine sieges were prosecuted throughout Spain. Progress was being made in all six wars and the Malian War had been concluded.

The Russian levies struck the Umayyad-led army at Orgaz in Tulaytulah on 20 April 1170. The hard-fought battle would last for almost six weeks, with the enemy giving a good account themselves and inflicting significant casualties on the poorly-led Russian levies.

zs37I9.jpg

But the numbers were sufficient and the enemy commander captured (and later ransomed for a good amount) during the pursuit of the fleeing foes. A new siege was begun.

As that battle continued, in early May the large Sardinian and Transylvanian armies had moved to Oviedo – their original destination – where King Tjudmund himself led a useful battle against Suleyman Emirate forces that had been besieging it.

F0shZE.jpg

Battlefield defeats and siege wins in Armagnac and Dax meant that by 6 May 1170, the Holy War for Gascogne was won. Jarls Folki of Dauphine and Rikulfr II of Savoy were the two beneficiaries: both were local marcher lords and their loyalty needed shoring up. One down, five to go!

3bHUXj.jpg

In June-July 1170, three more major battles were fought in Spain. One saw the Calatayudian army run down while trying to invade Valencia itself – Toste’s own stronghold in Spain. Of course, such an affront could not stand and a large levy army under General Þorbrandr fought a sharp battle at Gandia from 6-30 June as the Calatayud homeland was besieged to the north.

uxyZ05.jpg

An army from Zamora and the Suleyman Emirate was wiped out in Burgos on 3 July when Ulfhildr’s Russian and English had joined the Sardinians outside Silos on 24 June. Meanwhile, the large Transylvanian army had moved west and was by 23 July helpfully engaging a large composite enemy army on the west coast. An enemy army had taken Tamisa in Malaga by then, but for now that was being ignored.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

The Tulunid Dominoes Fall – September 1170 to February 1171

On 3 September, the Russian were lucky enough to capture the Umayyad heir after the siege of Tulaytulah. Emir Silo quickly capitulated, surrendering Tulaytulah (now renamed Toledo) and Molina. Kings Tjudmund and Bagge II gained the spoils this time, boosting their holdings in the area – and of course their loyalty to the Emperor.

2MrmzO.jpg

In late September-October, one more field battle (in Calatrava against the Marwanids) and a smaller skirmish (in Zamora against a local company) were fought, bringing the Suleyman Emirate to the brink of surrender.

8zfdBu.jpg

Terms were proposed to Emir Mukhtar ‘the oppressor’ on 10 October and accepted a couple of weeks later. Burgos and Soria were added to the Empire and then allocated to Jarl Dyre III of Moldau and King Halsten ‘the Just’ of Sviþjod, making two more top-tier Russian magnates very grateful indeed.

P3K9j0.jpg

More routine siege work against the remaining three Russian targets was conducted over coming months, including the Jomsvikings finally arriving in Malaga to assist with the retaking of the Russian holding in Malaga. On 5 January 1171, one of the two Cordoban Holy Wars was ready to be settled and the siege of Tamisa did not have to be finished.

GcSj4y.jpg

La Mancha was given to the grateful Boy-King Geirr of Lotharingia. And a message was received from Badshah Suhail: he too had had enough and was willing to come to terms, even though he had not been fully defeated yet.

But this settlement was delayed until later that month, once a number of prisoners had been ransomed. The rest of Cordoba was signed over to the Fylkir, who passed on the boons or Cordoba itself and Calatrava to the Grand Mayor of Livonia and King Gnupa II of Irland, who had only recently taken the crown there after the untimely death of his predecessor (more on that later).

dvSrDn.jpg

From this point onwards, levy armies were disbanded as it was safe to do so on home soil. The last of the six Wars of the Tulunid Succession ended with the conquest of Mursiya (renamed to Murcia) after the siege of Cartagena was won on 6 February 1171. The King of Volga Bulgaria, Jedvard II Rurikid, was the final major magnate to receive imperial largesse from the campaign.

Spf43g.jpg

This last phase of the war had seen two more significant battles. The first at Elvira in Granada where a large invading Cordoban army had been defeated in another of the larger battles of the Wars from 5 November-4 December. This had helped end the Cordoban Holy War. The other was at Itálica in Aracena against another invading army of the Amirids, which greatly assisted the effort against Mursiya.

g9mteq.jpg

During these wars, 37 holdings had been taken and just over 4,000 Russian troops lost during the sieges across many counties across Spain and southern France.

By the Wars’ end, the total Russian army had been reduced by around 30,000 men (from battles, sieges and attrition) but those numbers would soon begin to recover. Aged only 34, Toste III now ruled a little over half of Spain.

BZngoZ.jpg

He had a large victory arch erected [narrative only] in his personal stronghold of Valencia, the unofficial capital of Rurikid Spain, to commemorate this bagful of victories. Toste’s Victory Arch stands to this day, a lasting monument to Rurikid power in Spain.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Vassal and Foreign Affairs

In the distant east, a large slice of former Samanid territory was taken over in January 1169 by the mercenary Turkic Company, who carved out their own steppe realm – possibly after the Ardeshirids failed to pay their wages.

UMCFId.jpg

In that same general region, the bold Scanian Holy War for Zhetysu against the Ardeshirid Shah Reza back in 1165, was lost on 9 September 1169.

Another major vassal succession came in October 1170, this one after the relatively new King Ingjald ‘the Sword of Frey’ was apparently murdered by an unknown assailant. A quite separate branch of the Fróni family took over as Ingjald had no children and only four living sisters but no male heir of his own. But nothing was ever proven against the new King Gnupa II.

E0YBoR.jpg

There was no room on the Imperial Council for Gnupa as an advisor and he was not skilled enough to merit a cabinet position. But he was already quite loyal despite wanting a council position and would be even more so when he was given some spoils from Spain soon after.

Gnupa soon got busy in Africa when he declared a holy war against ‘the other Mali’ in November 1170. Given the number of troops he commanded and existing Irish holdings in the region, he was expected to have no great trouble completing this objective.

62YvSt.jpg

And as the Wars of the Tulunid Succession were playing out, three new vassal-led endeavours were started on the Iberian Peninsula from September to December 1170. By February 1171 it was very likely all three would succeed against weakened opponents to see Russian rule further expanded.

Dhuh7m.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Court, Council and Dynasty

On 1 January 1169, the process for the passage of the new Ruler War Declaration Sovereignty law was derailed for unknown reasons, despite a 5-3 loyalist balance on the Council (including the Fylkir). [That is, it glitched when the save was fired up and everyone was voting against it.] But by 9 March these technicalities had been ironed out, with the law never being formally rejected. It was put to a new vote and approved on 1 April.

Z9cukD.jpg

The law change did reduced Toste’s span of vassal control however, meaning another of the direct chief vassals had to be reassigned.

With the threat of disease and a strong treasury – even after raiding had to be halted and the costs of the Tulunid wars factored in – more hospital improvements were undertaken in the demesne county of Pest, with a new leper colony, expanded sick house and soup kitchen completed in 1169-70.

cLMdDr.jpg

These and similar buildings were sought due to the continuing threat of epidemic disease within the empire and on its borders.

BbOFzC.jpg

Improved knowledge levels in Melun allowed new infrastructure to be built in April 1169, with the first chosen being an upgrade to the classic Norse housecarl training grounds begun in May. And in Valencia, a leper colony was commissioned in December 1169 and finished less than a year later after a previously ordered expanded sick house was completed.

eVz2Vu.jpg

It seems Toste’s spate of expansionism in Spain led to him eschewing patience in mid-1169 – and unfortunate turn of events that apparently had some effect on his governing abilities, according to secret sources uncovered in recent academic research.

LtzRgB.jpg

At a time when the Malian war continued and the six new Tulunid wars begun, and eighth war started on 1 November 1169 with a revolt by around 3,700 armed peasants in Grodno. The New Guard and local Holmgarðr county demesne levies were raised to respond, with around 8,450 men heading south-west to eradicate the rebel scum.

It would take until February 1170 to close on them, by which time siege attrition had whittled down the enemy force. When Þorbrandr arrived with the Imperial army, he found the local lord Jarl Alfr ‘the Plaguebearer’ of Yatvingia was already engaged though heavily outnumbered. The momentum of the battle swung in Russia’s favour.

rLsGb1.jpg

This was just as well, as more rebels joined in on 1 March, assaulting the Russian centre as they pursued the first tranche of rebels from the field. All this meant was more rebel scum to feed the crows – over 5,300 of the miscreants were killed. Including their leader, who was of course hung from a convenient tree on the battlefield.

Valencia was now prospering under Rurikid control, as mentioned above becoming the Emperor’s de facto regional capital in Spain. And the Steward, the eunuch Bonga, proposed and had approved a scheme to improve the economy in the capital itself.

3TopJf.jpg

With the Tulunid wars still largely in progress in August 1170, and even before most of the territory yet to be handed out, there was not a single active faction reported at the Imperial level throughout the whole Rurikid realm.

In the two years from February 1169 to 1171, the conversion of heathen counties to the True Germanic faith picked up again, with seven counties converted. More than half of these were due to the extraordinary efforts of Seeress Yrsa, who had been sent to proselytise throughout the empire. She had now moved to Dax to bring them to the True Old Gods.

hVvXu0.jpg

• 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
The empire continues to shine! Well done!
With the Malian War still going at that time, this meant Russia was now involved in seven simultaneous wars.
At a time when the Malian war continued and the six new Tulunid wars begun, and eighth war started on 1 November 1169 with a revolt by around 3,700 armed peasants in Grodno.
Quite the impressive battle report and campaign diary, here. This speaks to the size and strength of the empire to be able to handle eight wars simultaneously, even if some were small. Seems you'll be ready for those Aztecs and Mongols when they finally appear.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Hooray for the true successors to Rome! Is it time to crush the Eastern branch?

• 2Like
Reactions:
Is the Turkic Company a member of a defensive pact? If not, why didn't Toste pounce on it immediately?

If the rest of Spain and Eastern Rome fall, Germanic realms will rule all of Europe...

From an in-universe perspective, why didn't the rebels against the Tulunids have a candidate to rule all of Spain after their victory? They knew that Russia was a threat that would destroy them if they remained divided... (from a game perspective, I think it's a mechanics thing, but I'm still curious).

• 1Like
Reactions:
How do you keep track of so many wars? I would be so confused at this point.

• 1Haha
Reactions:
On 18 April 1169, Yassir Tulunid was unseated and imprisoned after the revolt against his perceived decadence triumphed, led by the Suhailid dynasty. The former Tulunid state splintered into a myriad of smaller independent realms.
An excellent opportunity for Toste!
But as a few more joined, in early June Russia’s sole formal ally (and next largest Norse realm) England was invited to join the fray.
I may have missed it, but did Russia always own those bits of eastern England?
The King of Volga Bulgaria, Jedvard II Rurikid, was the final major magnate to receive imperial largesse from the campaign.
This keeps the vassals happy and keeps them invested in the region. Soon all of Spain will be Russian.
But nothing was ever proven against the new King Gnupa II.
He is a flamboyant schemer, although he is also content. You could use console commands to see who killed Ingjald. But it is better for narrative purposes if we never know.

• 2Like
Reactions:
This was the trigger for Toste to strike while the opportunity for gains against isolated Spanish states remained briefly open. To gain as much ground as possible, five holy wars and a conquest were launched on 22 April.
That's the spirit!!!

Cordoba itself and Calatrava to the Grand Mayor of Livonia
They would've preferred a coastal city, but still good!

By the Wars’ end, the total Russian army had been reduced by around 30,000 men (from battles, sieges and attrition) but those numbers would soon begin to recover. Aged only 34, Toste III now ruled a little over half of Spain.
So quick! Great job!

In the distant east, a large slice of former Samanid territory was taken over in January 1169 by the mercenary Turkic Company, who carved out their own steppe realm – possibly after the Ardeshirids failed to pay their wages.
Still a vestige of Turks remain!

And as the Wars of the Tulunid Succession were playing out, three new vassal-led endeavours were started on the Iberian Peninsula from September to December 1170. By February 1171 it was very likely all three would succeed against weakened opponents to see Russian rule further expanded.
They will devour all of the peninsula in a couple of decades

It seems Toste’s spate of expansionism in Spain led to him eschewing patience in mid-1169 – and unfortunate turn of events that apparently had some effect on his governing abilities, according to secret sources uncovered in recent academic research.
As I said before, when the amount of normal traits are over (I think) 5 a random one (but not the last gained) is dropped

• 3Like
Reactions:
Good timing and a great job in Spain. Going after the Turkic mercs? Thank you
Thanks! No, it's been a policy for a while for no more Imperial-led expansion in the eastern steppe area.Leaving it to its own devices and the actions of marcher lords (mainly the kings of Volga Bulgaria) to do any more expansion there before the Mongols arrive. Part for an RP decision, part to leave a bunch a speed bumps there for the Mongols to run over and so they don't necessarily clash with Russia right at the start.
The empire continues to shine! Well done!
Thanks. :)
Quite the impressive battle report and campaign diary, here. This speaks to the size and strength of the empire to be able to handle eight wars simultaneously, even if some were small. Seems you'll be ready for those Aztecs and Mongols when they finally appear.
We can only hope so. I can only estimate the impact they will have, having no direct experience of the end game.
Hooray for the true successors to Rome! Is it time to crush the Eastern branch?
In two minds about that. Part of me wants to leave them as a viable barrier against Mongols invasion. And as a bit of a manually imposed break on even more Russian blobbing!
Is the Turkic Company a member of a defensive pact? If not, why didn't Toste pounce on it immediately?
I think so. Pretty much everyone is. And per above, I intend to leave that region alone until after the Mongols arrive.
If the rest of Spain and Eastern Rome fall, Germanic realms will rule all of Europe...
This looks likely, though Byzantium may be permitted to retain the bulk of its Balkan lands. It would however be nice to clear out the rest of Italy ...
From an in-universe perspective, why didn't the rebels against the Tulunids have a candidate to rule all of Spain after their victory? They knew that Russia was a threat that would destroy them if they remained divided... (from a game perspective, I think it's a mechanics thing, but I'm still curious).
I think (though don't know for sure and am only guessing) that the rebels alliance was one of those where all those signing on get independence when it finishes, with the leading Tulunid rebels only retaining their 'core' lands. But yes, I guess in a narrative sense they could only get enough support by promising independence to the rest. In this case, they had a ravenous Russia poised on their borders and they didn't have enough time to sign up to the world-wide defensive network before Toste pounced.
How do you keep track of so many wars? I would be so confused at this point.
Haha - practice and hundreds of screenshots to reconstruct everything later! :D
An excellent opportunity for Toste!
Once more, its disunity = subjugation.
I may have missed it, but did Russia always own those bits of eastern England?
Yes, some have been held from very early on, with others expanded on over the years. It was all the work of conquering vassals, principally the early Jarls of Brabant.
This keeps the vassals happy and keeps them invested in the region. Soon all of Spain will be Russian.
Huzzah!
He is a flamboyant schemer, although he is also content. You could use console commands to see who killed Ingjald. But it is better for narrative purposes if we never know.
I'm not sure, but was under the impression you can't use conso9le commands on an Ironman game (which this one is).
:confused:
That's the spirit!!!
Vur ha!
They would've preferred a coastal city, but still good!
Indeed, but all we really wanted to do was improve their opinion to hopefully get more taxes out of them! ;)
So quick! Great job!
Thanks. :)
Still a vestige of Turks remain!
And they will be left in peace, by the Fylkirs anyway.
They will devour all of the peninsula in a couple of decades
If it takes even that long! The next episode highlights how industrious (greedy) they are.
As I said before, when the amount of normal traits are over (I think) 5 a random one (but not the last gained) is dropped
Right! I just let these things wash over me. :D

Next episode out shortly. Thanks as always for the comments and readership.

• 3Like
Reactions:
Chapter 57: Taken Too Early (1171-73) New
Chapter 57: Taken Too Early (1171-73)

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Spain

In the aftermath of the successful conclusion of the Wars of the Tulunid Succession, February 1171 saw the levies on Russian territory quickly disbanded as others marched back to friendly territory to be safely dismissed. By that time, many of the vassal levies had been in service for some time and their lords were getting restless [up to -10 opinion for 15 or the marcher lords]. It would take some time for the residual resentment to fully dissipate, though Toste’s popularity remained at all-time highs with most due to recent generous land grants.

The remaining retinue (Imperial Guard) and Jomsviking divisions progressively invoked the Sacred Raiding Toggle and set off for a new round of raiding to boost the treasury, with Badajoz (16 February), Valladolid (11 March) and Mértola (6 April) being the initial targets.

On 3 May, two more retinue companies (one shock and one cavalry) were raised in the capital following on from the recent expansion in Spain. Two days later, young King Kettil of Germany launched a new war of conquest for Viscaya, on the northern Spanish coast.

As the raiding continued without meaningful interruption, the Russian vassal levy base gradually recovered from the war time casualties, reaching full capacity by late August 1171 (around 181,000 vassal levies; 234,000 troops from all sources).

On 10 November the raid of Valladolid was halted after the third holding was sacked to enable Ulfhildr (Toste’s concubine shieldmaiden) to take one of the Guard armies across to assist the ongoing Transylvanian Holy War for Galicia, where a Suhailid army was trying to retake Porto.

zMNeXG.jpg

The resulting battle was fought at Viana do Castelo in Porto from 6-20 February, with the arrival of a large Transylvanian army on the 19th hastening the rout of the Suhailid army. Unfortunately, the accomplished veteran general, polymath and Court Tutor Asclettin Hvitserk was one of only 79 friendly soldiers killed – on the last day of the pursuit, in which the whole enemy army was eliminated.

iShu6c.jpg

Age only 44, Asclettin was taken too early in an otherwise inconsequential skirmish at the edge of the Empire. Another brilliant Russian commander, the ‘Berber Viking’ Watt’as, assumed the role of Tutor.

As Transylvania went about its campaign against Galicia without the need for further assistance, in February and March 1172 the Jomsviking army had transitioned from raiding for money to supporting Hlymrek’s (Munster’s) conquest of Alcácer do Sal through a series of supported assaults. Jarl Falki won his victory against Beja on 23 March 1172.

896Nct.jpg

Less than two months later, Jarl Falki embarked on his next adventure in south-western Spain: a conquest of Shlib against the small Tahirid Emirate.

pAqkqr.jpg

Soon after that, the new young King of Bohemia (now known as the ‘Sword of Thor’) completed his father’s Holy War to take Cuenca, as the marcher lords expanded on the recent Imperial gains in Spain.

Then in early August 1172, the Jomsvikings completed the Russian occupation of southern France by completing their own holy war and occupy Béarn.

iGvEP6.jpg

Jarl Guðmundr, a vassal of the King of Irland, then greatly expanded the empire in western Spain in September by taking another four counties in his victory over Galicia.

lExufL.jpg

The next success was King Kettil’s conquest of Viscaya in early December 1172, the campaign taking less than two years to complete against the small Qasid Emirate.

SW1Dgz.jpg

By January 1173, the raids of Badajoz and Mértola had been completed, with Lisboa and Caceres the new targets. It was then that a major uprising broke out in Denia – the 2nd Andalusian Liberation Revolt.

0RcbLz.jpg

The Guard army in Caceres was sent to quell this rebellion when it finished sacking a third holding there on 3 January. The battle would begin on 12 March, with the rebels having unwisely split their army, the smaller contingent being hastily recalled and due to arrive 11 days later.

PcXELd.jpg

qWjUXn.jpg

Campaign map – Spain: raiding, vassal support and the Andalusian Revolt, February 1171 to April 1173. The Imperial crests mark the eight counties gained in vassal conquests during this time.

While around 1,700 gold crowns were taken in raiding from 1171-73, particularly heavy raider casualties in Badajoz, Lisboa and Mértola took some of the shine off the rewards gained.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Vassal and Foreign Affairs

Another Russian ruler was taken at an early age when King Halsten of Sviþjod died from scurvy in February 1171, aged only 33. His brother King Hjalmar II inherited both the Swedish crown and Halsten’s position as advisor on the Imperial Council. But despite this – or indeed, because of it – bad blood would arise between Hjalmar and Toste in the near future.

lMfMZW.jpg

Hjalmar also took on his brother’s conquest of far Berbera, which by this time was progressing well [+45% warscore].

Then just the following month, King Bagge II of Bohemia fell in battle fighting an invading host, leading to his son Ingemar’s ascension at the tender age of 7 and the victory in his name in Spain soon after. Yet another Russian magnate had died early, this time at only 25 years old.

a6QMKB.jpg

Later that month, Toste inherited the county of Vermandois when its chief died without an heir. It was granted to the young King Ingemar to help boost both his loyalty and power.

The usual bickering between the largest Russian lords in and around western Germany erupted again in November 1171 when Metz again became a bone of contention, this time between the powerful kingdoms of Lotharingia and Sviþjod. The conflict would drag on for some time to come.

7Qx53w.jpg

King Hjalmar was at least able to finish of his conquest of Berbera a few months later, in March 1172, further expanding the Russian beachhead around the entrance to the Red Sea.

quozW3.jpg

Toste spotted an opportunity in March 1172 for a bit more border gore tidying when a revolt broke out against King Ivar in Denmark. The rebels (not protected by the Pagan defensive pact) looked to have started in a powerful position and if Turov could be secured quickly enough, it might be gained before the rebellion ended.

3eovNm.jpg

Local Imperial levies in Holmgarðr were added to the New Guard troops stationed there and were soon heading south-west to Turov. They would arrive to begin their siege in late June.

A few weeks later, the young King Jedvard II Rurikid of Volga Bulgaria declared a Holy War against the Ardeshirid Shahdom for the region of Karashar, out on the distant Eastern Steppe.

By 27 October, King Ivar had called in the English to help him with the rebellion and was now well on top. The rebels surrendered on 13 October, without even the first holding in Turov being taken, ending the conquest inconclusively. By the end of October the army had reached Russian territory and the levies stood down; the remaining 3,000 or so New Guard would be sent west to deal with a new challenge that had arisen by then.

Toste’s cousin King Birger of Skotland – a man with a fierce reputation, including as a kinslayer – was the next to suffer an untimely demise after he was murdered by his own brother in December 1172. Birger was succeeded by Toste’s nephew Åke II.

ycnQwv.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Italy

In February 1173, a new war was added to Toste’s dance card when a large Venetian Liberation Revolt was declared with almost 14,000 men rising to seek independence from the Empire, as two other revolts remained in progress.

tUuE6W.jpg

The 7,700-strong Jomsviking army was in eastern France at that time, having marched from Spain towards a separate peasant rebellion in Germany (more on that below). They were instead diverted to Italy via the Brenner Pass. But more troops would be needed, so around 1,700 Imperial levies were raised in Pest and sent to meet them, more troops were raised in France and others put on notice to redeploy from current assignments when they could be released.

Even as that was happening, in February 1173 more bad news arrived from Italy: Pope Nicolaus III had declared a Fifth Crusade for the Kingdom of Italy – one of King Tjudmund’s titles, thus bringing the sovereign troops of that powerful lord into the conflict immediately.

TOWNFe.jpg

In March, the remaining Christian Holy Orders began to answer the Pontiff’s call – he had no troops of his own and no Christian states remained.

On 28 February, the siege of Lisboa was broken and Ulfhildr’s Guard army there ordered across to northern Italy, as the other Guard army was still fighting the Andalusian rebels in Denia. A month later, the Hungarian levies had to be re-routed to the north after the Teutonic army was raised in Krain.

3YnwIf.jpg

Then on 1 April, three more Christian holy orders joined the Pope’s Crusade. The combined enemy forces were now providing a sizeable challenge. On 7 April, Þorbrandr’s army had triumphed in Denia and was also sent north, to France, where various Christian holy orders had been assembling their forces and sending them to Italy for the Crusade.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Altmark Peasant Revolt

These internal conflicts also featured an ‘ordinary’ peasant revolt at Altmark, in northern Germany, where around 4,800 rebel scum rose on 1 June 1172, while the Danish civil war was in progress. When the Danish civil war ended in October 1172, the New Guard was sent towards Altmark from Turov instead.

As mentioned above, the Jomsvikings were sent to deal with this uprising when they finished their work in Spain in July 1172. The castle of Stendal fell to the rebels on 4 January 1173 and the Jomsvikings were diverted to Italy when the Liberation Revolt started in early February. The Imperial levies were raised in Paris and Rouen and those 5,300 men were sent to Altmark instead, to support the New Guard troops already en route.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Domestic Issues

By April 1171, the Black Death epidemic had completely abated in Greece and the neighbouring Byzantine lands. Only a couple of small residual slow fever outbreaks remained in southern England and northern France and did not spread to neighbouring Paris.

The next untimely death of a notable nobleman occurred in May 1171. In the years after Toste’s troublesome brother – er, half-brother – Þorfinn of Heves had been assigned to Jarl Rikulfr of Savoy as a vassal, he had contracted leprosy, which ultimately claimed his life. His daughter Guðrun inherited the title.

RoYkdE.jpg

From August 1171 to April 1173, two major builds (both long-term projects) were begun in Imperial demesne counties, that in Rouen enabled when castle infrastructure knowledge was advanced, with more projects possible after the new stable expansion was completed in a few years’ time. The ongoing raiding program would continue to help pay for these expensive additions.

h6cnRj.jpg

Unfortunately, the burdens of office began to weigh more heavily on the Fylkir at this time. Even though he readily spent money to ease the plight of his subjects, there were a number of examples of nobles misbehaving at this time. All were handled, but the stress began to build on the conscientious Toste by late 1171.

Ui0ICv.jpg

He sought to console himself by calling another Great Blot the same day. It would be successfully but unremarkably completed over the next few months, bring the normally benefits to the realm – but not alleviating Toste’s stress.

Yet another pregnancy for one of his concubines around this time also gave him cause for concern, though he decided to let things be after a brief investigation revealed no obvious causes for suspicion.

Czm5ap.jpg

Toste’s 13th child, another son, would be born to Ilmi without incident the following June.

Yet another worry eating away at Toste was his enmity towards King Geirr of Lotharingia. Geirr remained very loyal, though Toste disliked him because of his claims and ambitions. By far the superior warrior, Toste could almost certainly have killed Geirr without much trouble.

VUt97f.jpg

But Toste’s heir Ottarr was still a minor at that time and it seemed wasteful to kill an otherwise loyal vassal, so the kind and just Emperor reigned in his desire for a duel.

Again, this forbearance did nothing to improve Toste’s wellbeing. In an infamous incident after a Council meeting in June 1172, a drunk Emperor suffered a fall. Rather than risk injury or even death, he called out for help.

qxI3tg.jpg

All he received for this call for help was disdain from King Hjalmar – now a mortal enemy – and a reputation as a drunkard. Toste would far prefer to see Hjalmar – a puny personal duellist by comparison – as a challenger for a nice little holmgang!

The next health concern to arise was a nasty case of the flu for the second in line to the throne, Prince Sturla. This was of some concern and the court doctor was called in.

IjaloV.jpg

All the various travails – rebellions, court and family upheavals – led to Toste’s further despair in January 1173. His personal journal reveals a ‘profound emptiness’ and most probably led to the onset of what would now be called depression.

O1vXT8.jpg

Perhaps the next piece of news may have improved the Emperor’s humour a little, with an early but more timely death. Even though she had been exiled to Noregr years before and was no longer a personal rival, Aleta Lade had survived. But her demonic ways had caught up with her until she was clearly (and rather ironically, as she had formed a reputation as a Witch Hunter) discovered and exposed by King Gandalfr of Noregr and burned at the stake in February 1173.

1FCOjm.jpg

With Aleta out of the way, an betrothal was arranged between one of Toste’s sons, Prince Gnupa, and Aleta’s brilliant daughter Bothildr – who was not known to have any demonic characteristics herself.

On 8 March 1173, Prince Ottarr – long since (and apparently poorly) tutored at his barony in Kostroma – came of age. His stewardship studies had failed badly, with the young man gaining the reputation early on of being an indulgent wastrel. Most unfortunate for his future career!

Dg1vUR.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

A New Direction

Less than a month after Ottarr's coming of age, the latest and most significant of the untimely deaths that seemed to plague this period of Russian history came out of the blue: the Fylkir passed away suddenly – whether from a stroke or heart attack is unclear – on 2 April 1173.

lY3O0C.jpg

There had been some warning signs in the months leading up to this shocking development but none had anticipated such an early demise of the popular and still quite youthful Fylkir. He was only 36 years old and a promising reign was cut cruelly short, thrusting a callow youth into the Imperial purple, though at least narrowly avoiding a regency.

Until his new focus could be implemented and a good marriage arranged (which the new Fylkir was now free to make himself), he found his administration sorely lacking in terms of his demesne and vassal spans of control. Though he would try to ride these out until a ‘new normal’ capacity was determined.

vAwQZr.jpg

Even before he was married, Fylkir Ottarr was well aware of his early priority to groom a new heir of his own line. And that he needed to focus on stewardship to improve his governing skills – which were his strong suit despite his failed studies. For now, his heir was his brother (an actual brother) Prince Sturla, whose treatment for the flu was found to have been botched.

While Ottarr lost a couple of items from his inherited treasury, most were retained, including his principal weapons (the Death Strike spear and Rurik’s old ‘Neckbiter’ battle axe, plus his Warden suit of armour).

The next item on the new leader’s to do list was a marriage: the best available candidate was Skuld Totilsdottir, from Göttingen in Thüringia. The proposal was made, even though it would mean waiting until December for her to come of legal age to marry.

The succession had also caused four out of the five principal Council cabinet offices to be automatically vacated. Only the two advisors and Seeress Yrsa (a direct Imperial vassal) initially retained their positions. In most cases, the best qualified candidate was chosen, though loyalty was also a consideration.

xhJXpd.jpg

It was hoped the highly loyal Jarl Rikulfr of Savoy, the new Marshal, might one day join the Loyalist faction in Council. The eunuch Bonga was re-hired, despite having a rather cool opinion of his new master. But as Spymaster, Ottarr bypassed a number of somewhat more skilled candidates to hire his well-credentialled and fiercely loyal mother, the former Imperial concubine Asa, to this key role.

As he tried to settle into his new reign, Ottarr still faced three separate rebellions and a Catholic Crusade. Fortunately, one of these – the Andalusian revolt – would soon be over and the victory would now contribute to the new Emperor’s prestige. Which needed building up, given his poor diplomatic skills.

eouSJ8.jpg

The former rebel leader was a highly skilled warrior and, despite the hostility between them, shared the new Fylkir’s characteristics of being both just and kind. For these reasons, he was recruited to court rather than being put to death – a different approach to that of Ottarr’s ‘Purifying’ father.

Early in his reign, Ottarr was aided by two significant factors: the defence against the Catholic infidels in the Fifth Crusade and, for most of his new chief vassals, the extremely favourable opinion they retained of his late father, who had showered them with much land after the end of the Tulunid Succession Wars.

tFdq1h.jpg

Even Hjalmar had quite a positive view of his new liege (though this would wane when the Crusade was inevitably defeated) and this was improved a little by nominating him into a vacant hirdman position. And Ottarr’s kinsman Jarl Hrolfr of Belo Ozero was rewarded with the granting of Ottarr’s ‘old’ barony of Kostroma, which adjoined the Jarl’s main holdings.

On 8 April, Sigtrygg’s New Guard of around 3,300 men arrived to retake the lost holding in Altmark – the rebels, now around 4,200 in strength, having since moved north to invest Werle. A couple of days later, the former Empress Ingrid left the court to return to her home in Cheremisa. The powerful, ultra-loyal and highly competent King Tjudmund of Sardinia and Corsica – an accomplished diplomat – assumed her vacated role as the designated regent of the Empire.

The betrothal proposal to Skuld was duly accepted by her father on 15 April, with the wedding planned for late December of that year. It would be a little while yet before Ottarr set about the task of searching for new concubines. He hoped a future heir might be born to his wife-to-be, rather than a concubine, though only time would tell how that worked out.

jnUAn5.jpg

That same day, the joining of the Pagan defensive pact by King Ivar II of Denmark alerted Ottarr to the need to renew non-aggression pacts with the other Germanic kingdoms. Denmark and England would prove willing but Noregr would not, without renewed marriage ties. Which Ottarr did not yet consider an urgent issue.

And so, the first few days of the new reign had passed with the young Fylkir lamenting the last of many recent untimely deaths in the realm and slowly coming to grips with the surprisingly early onset of his new reign.

• 6Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Campaign map – Spain: raiding, vassal support and the Andalusian Revolt, February 1171 to April 1173. The Imperial crests mark the eight counties gained in vassal conquests during this time.
even faster than my anticipation!

All the various travails – rebellions, court and family upheavals – led to Toste’s further despair in January 1173. His personal journal reveals a ‘profound emptiness’ and most probably led to the onset of what would now be called depression.
if the current focus isn't very important maybe switch to carousing? that helps losing stressed and or depressed

On 8 March 1173, Prince Ottarr – long since (and apparently poorly) tutored at his barony in Kostroma – came of age. His stewardship studies had failed badly, with the young man gaining the reputation early on of being an indulgent wastrel. Most unfortunate for his future career!
who's the spare?

Less than a month after Ottarr's coming of age, the latest and most significant of the untimely deaths that seemed to plague this period of Russian history came out of the blue: the Fylkir passed away suddenly – whether from a stroke or heart attack is unclear – on 2 April 1173.
arrghh the moment the heir turns out to be a complete stubborn weak wastrel idiot the monarch dies

• 1Like
Reactions:
Too many young folks dying early in this one... tough times...

In the years after Toste’s troublesome brother – er, half-brother – Þorfinn of Heves had been assigned to Jarl Rikulfr of Savoy as a vassal
Ah... yes... the trouble-some half-brother is no more. Perhaps that will extinguish that meme from this AAR, for the time being. ;) :cool:
All he received for this call for help was disdain from King Hjalmar – now a mortal enemy – and a reputation as a drunkard. Toste would far prefer to see Hjalmar – a puny personal duellist by comparison – as a challenger for a nice little holmgang!
Too bad the fylkir would never get the chance. These drunken council meeting events definitely yield some interesting results.
Perhaps the next piece of news may have improved the Emperor’s humour a little, with an early but more timely death. Even though she had been exiled to Noregr years before and was no longer a personal rival, Aleta Lade had survived. But her demonic ways had caught up with her until she was clearly (and rather ironically, as she had formed a reputation as a Witch Hunter) discovered and exposed by King Gandalfr of Noregr and burned at the stake in February 1173.
Aleta is gone too! Seems your game is cleansing out all the troublemakers.

But I was sorry to see this Toste go too early. His wastrel son definitely needs some work. We'll see if his lack of skills will have any impact on the empire, which appears to have a lot of momentum of its own.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I'm not sure, but was under the impression you can't use conso9le commands on an Ironman game (which this one is).
:confused:
Didn't realize this was Ironman. Good to know!
Chapter 57: Taken Too Early (1171-73)
An ominous title. And one that proves to be very true...
Unfortunately, the accomplished veteran general, polymath and Court Tutor Asclettin Hvitserk was one of only 79 friendly soldiers killed – on the last day of the pursuit, in which the whole enemy army was eliminated.
Perhaps the gods had a hand in Asclettin's death? It was certainly a sign of things to come.
King Birger of Skotland – a man with a fierce reputation, including as a kinslayer – was the next to suffer an untimely demise after he was murdered by his own brother
The kinslaying continues.
Even as that was happening, in February 1173 more bad news arrived from Italy: Pope Nicolaus III had declared a Fifth Crusade for the Kingdom of Italy
Again?!

Do the Holy Orders have any land?
Toste would far prefer to see Hjalmar – a puny personal duellist by comparison – as a challenger for a nice little holmgang!
You can duel people any time if they're your rival by right-clicking on them. Although it is too late now.
But her demonic ways had caught up with her until she was clearly (and rather ironically, as she had formed a reputation as a Witch Hunter) discovered and exposed by King Gandalfr of Noregr and burned at the stake in February 1173.
Probably the only "good" death in this period. I'm sure many Russians will sleep easier at night knowing she's gone.
the Fylkir passed away suddenly – whether from a stroke or heart attack is unclear – on 2 April 1173.
Or from Aleta's spirit from beyond the grave :eek:!

Toste III will be missed. Hopefully Ottarr can grow into his father's shoes a little (or a lot).

Reactions:
Quick answer:
You can duel people any time if they're your rival by right-clicking on them. Although it is too late now.
I did try that at the time, but couldn’t seem to find such an option (unless it was there somewhere and I missed it, though I did look through the list). I wondered at the time whether the ongoing thing with King Geirr (I omitted it from the narrative but the cycle of ‘the mere sight of x fills you with disgust’ events was still in progress at the time) might have been preventing a challenge to Hjalmar?

• 1Like
Reactions:
Toste is toast. Bring on Flykir Ott-to-be-better. Time to prune the vassals by giving the most odious counts and jarls to top-line jarls and kings. Some of the marcher-lords have hideous borders. Thanks for the update.

Where do the Catholic Holy Orders find manpower with no Catholic realms especially officer corps with no second/third sons?

• 1Like
Reactions: