• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 50: Striking Out (1155-57)
Chapter 50: Striking Out (1155-57)

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

The Spanish Raid

Fylkir Toste had celebrated his long-awaited marriage to Empress Ingrid in early September 1155. But rather than leaping immediately into a new Great Holy War for Andalusia, he continued with the long raid of Hispania to continue to weaken it. And this would soon change from the usual simple pillaging of border counties into a more widespread campaign to destroy as many Tulunid and allied or vassal armies as possible.

Another 17 holdings would be sacked up to November 1157, with attention moving from Saraqusta and Qurtubah onto Albarracin, Dax and Alto Aragón. Casualties were quite heavy, with over 1,900 raiders killed for around 1,480 gold taken (and of course the suppression of Tulunid troop numbers in the holdings looted).

A particularly valuable artefact was seized in Albarracin in January 1156. Just as good as the Champion armour that had been made for Fylkir Helgi back in 1042, Toste took to wearing the Warden armour taken from its previous owner, Rekkaredo ibn Berengario.

au8gda.jpg

From September 1155 to August 1156, the de facto war spread to ‘search and destroy’ missions in the Spanish hinterland, with a series of one-sided field battles (more ambushes) conducted in Balansiyya, Albarracin and Saraqusta. These were followed by a larger engagement at Haro in Nájera from 3-29 October 1156, where Jarl Vagn took on a force of over 5,500 to win a heavy victory.

WtHwmM.jpg

This was followed by another battle of similar size in Deniyya in January 1157, where Jarl Rikulfr II of Savoy took a heavy toll on a large Tulunid army.

MPqBkL.jpg

Jarl Vagn fell upon an unfortunate Valencian detachment in a second ‘battle’ in Balansiyya in February, completely destroying an enemy column of 1,200 men for just nine Norsemen lost. At that point, he was detached northwards, where an English revolt had broken out to topple the ‘tyranny’ of King Emund, Toste’s kinsman.

QTHj4H.jpg

This was not so much out of altruism to help Emund as to see if a quick conquest could be made of Cornouaille from the rebels before the (separate) civil war ended. It would take him four months to make the approach.

Soon after arriving, a convenient claim was found (conquest was not possible on a Germanic county) and war declared on the English Revolt on 2 July.

Lhc12h.jpg

A rebel force was attacked on 9 July and heavily defeated within eight days and a siege commenced.

cCMZhc.jpg

Back in Spain, Jarl Rikulfr ambushed another local army in Qurtubah in September 1157, completing the ‘sweep’ of Hispania in this phase of the conflict. A summary of this two-wear field raiding campaign from October 1155 to September 1157and battle results in provided below.

6fnrm3.jpg

The attempted Cornouaille land grab came to nothing when the rebels won their war against Emund in November 1157. Although not of the Rurikid dynasty, the infant King Fredrik was Toste’s nephew, his mother and Regent being Toste’s half-sister Rikissa.

mQPgFd.jpg

Warm relations with England would continue under the new regime, even while the exiled Emund fled to the Fylkir’s court in Nygarðr for sanctuary.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Realm, Court and Palace

Between advice from Spymaster Hakon and good management of the capital province (which had still not been struck by the camp fever epidemic to its south), both Rouen and Holmgarðr thrived in early 1156.

p13BvQ.jpg

The irritating Count (former Duke) Rudolf of Salzburg was considered enough of a pimple on the imperial butt of progress to be squeezed in April 1156. Perhaps if he could be ‘whacked’, his successor might prove more amenable to being forced into the Empire as a vassal. A murder plot was instigated, though the cowardly count remained in hiding and only a small number of conspirators would join. And all of them required cash inducements.

uzi2qo.jpg

After some years of trying, a welter of pregnancies came in mid-1156, with the Empress and two concubines all vying to provide the Fylkir with an heir. And none of these gave rise to any suspicion.

mXfwVU.jpg

The first two children were born in early 1157 – both daughters. Very nice and all that, but not the male heir Toste needed to secure his own line of the dynasty.

yd02zT.jpg

As he waited for the third child to be born, a leper came to court seeking aid. But Toste’s protectiveness of his family triumphed over any desire to ‘do good’, so the man was turned away.

The plot against Rudolf was advanced significantly when (again as a results of bribery) the Mayor of Dürmberg was brought aboard. But still not concrete plans seemed to be forming to off the pesky count.

ECLjA0.jpg

Then just a few days later, Toste’s concubine Asa gave birth to a son and heir – Ottarr. But the young lad was not so much sickly as weak-looking. Not the paragon of health and martial prowess the Fylkir had been hoping for. He decided that a martial upbringing might do him some good – help to harden him up.

KloJ9a.jpg

More bribery brought another plotter in against Rudolf in August 1157 – but still no material plans emerged.

In September, Toste’s younger brother and the former heir (now second in line) Þorfinn came of age. He was not well at the time, suffering from a bout of the flu, turning out to be a fairly learned but otherwise unremarkable princeling.

x1loTz.jpg

His betrothal to Hafrid was solemnised in marriage a few weeks later. But this did nothing to change an inherent dislike that had developed for his brother the Emperor.

And before the month was out, that dislike and ambition had manifested itself in the creation of a ‘faction of one’ to promote himself for the Russian imperial throne!

gtip79.jpg

Another skirmish retinue was added to the reserve ‘New Guard’ regiment assembling in Holmgarðr in December 1157 as retinue numbers were brought up to around 23,000 well trained men in total (and not counting the Jomsvikings) – most currently serving in Spain.

EpZ7PE.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

A Time for War

As the great Spanish raid cut its bloody path through Tulunid Hispania, other endeavours took their own course. Toste’s cousin (and prominent member of the Rurikid line of succession) King Toke of Denmark died in battle fighting a difficult rebellion in December 1155.

ZKvfAj.jpg

His son Hemming II succeeded him – an ambitious pretender to the Russian throne. A gift was sent to keep him on-side.

The ever-expanding King Refr launched another ambitious venture in January 1156: he aimed to conquer the capital of the powerful Galician King Raimundo.

aMi0aP.jpg

Meanwhile, the long-running Jomsviking attempt to put a claimant on the throne of Noregr ended inconclusively in late March 1156. King Gandalfr had proved himself to be a wily survivor of many plans to strip his lands from him.

Next came a declaration by Jarl Hrane of Hlymrek in February 1157 to expand his North-west African holdings through a Holy War on Timbuktu against the young Shia Caliph Bannu of Mali.

In the end, King Refr’s victory over Galicia came in little more than a year, with Coruña becoming the latest useful Imperial outpost. Raimundo was forced to move his capital south to Porto.

TWgAqC.jpg

With the ‘hollow’ Jarldom of Franconia now doing little more than inflaming vassal opinion against him, Toste gave it to King Sigtrygg of Lotharingia in April 1157, whose opinion of the Fylkir could do with improvement.

R1mJi2.jpg

Sigtrygg was grateful but that did not stop him from destroying the title a month later! At least Toste had got some political value out of it along the way.

Next it was the loyal King Refil of Irland expanding the realm. An outpost gained south of the Danube, with the former Roman province of Bononia absorbed into Refil’s Balkan holdings, to be renamed Vidin. And earning him the excellent nickname Sword of Tyr (to give him equal bragging rights with King Refr, ‘the Sword of Frey’).

BnjUze.jpg

And whether it was a result of or encouraged by Russia’s continued depredations or not, a major Umayyad revolt broke out in Hispania in November 1157 against the Tulunids who had usurped the realm from them a few years before.

tWqaJR.jpg

And this presented a tempting opportunity to make gains against a rebellion that would not trigger the ‘world pacts’ arrayed against the Rurikids. So an opportunistic Holy War for València was launched with majority Council support to take advantage.

The raiders not already engaged in siege work (Jarl Rikulfr’s army down in Granada at the time) was ‘de-toggled’ and started marching for Valencia. A siege in the north at

Alto Aragón would be seen out, while Vagn was at that time still engaged in the siege if Cornouaille.

7WEC6Y.jpg

To get the job done, all Imperial demesne levies in France and Hungary were mobilised, in addition to a selection of vassal levies in the west. Soon, a levy force of over 37,000 was heading to Hispania.

Gaufrid had finished his siege in Alto Aragón by 20 November and he too ‘de-toggled’ and headed for Tarragona through safe territory with his smaller Jomsviking army to hit Valencia from the north. At that point Toste recognised the need to get the job done as quickly as possible and raised the Swedish vassal levy (over 22,000 men) in Uppsala and began marching them to Spain as well.

Which was somewhat prophetic, as the very next day an insulting declaration of Jihad was received from the Sunni Caliph Jalil of the Abbassids – for Mauritania. It should be an interesting challenge given many would no doubt respond to Jalil’s call, though Toste – now able to command over 200,000 troops to the colours, not including allies – was hardly afraid of this latest development.

jLj6Cr.jpg

Back in Spain, Rikulfr began the first siege of the Valencian Holy War in Deniyya in December 1157, with plenty of hostile armies (Tulunid, Rebels and other aggravated locals) spread around them.

GtVv1T.jpg

By 23 December, another ten Sunni Muslim realms had joined the Jihad. But on the upside, the Fylkir’s popularity was sky high with the vassals for defending against an infidel attack.

dX2EFG.jpg

This latest development caused more of the large vassal levies to be called up: almost 21,600 men from King Refr boarded over 530 ships to head for North Africa where a Tulunid army lurked and the Jihad threat from the east was likely to first emerge.

3ndTZh.jpg

And King Refil provided another 16,500 men and 327 ships in Irland, sent down to Coruña as the Galicians had mobilised and joined the fight.

iefbJP.jpg

With the Jihad declared, Toste formalised the relationship with England by requesting an alliance. Then, in the manner of ‘everything everywhere all at once’, another of the ‘rolling revolts’ broke out in England just four days later. The very same day the alliance proposal was accepted by the English!

SAyS1R.jpg

Naturally, a request for assistance was soon sent on King Fredrik’s behalf. In return, their assistance was called in for the Jihad (for what it might be worth). But more to the point, Toste decided to provide significant material help by ordering the Irish levy to change course and land in southern England instead. Fire and sword would be brought to the heart of the rebellion.

An interesting and complex set of campaigns had just begun for the Russians, who looked to a period of vigorous blood and battle. Toste was happy to launch into this ‘bit of entertainment’.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Another fine report!

Then, in the manner of ‘everything everywhere all at once’, another of the ‘rolling revolts’ broke out in England just four days later. The very same day the alliance proposal was accepted by the English!
Lately, because your empire is so large, this is the feeling I get from each chapter. There's so much spinning in Fylkir Toste's world.

Which was somewhat prophetic, as the very next day an insulting declaration of Jihad was received from the Sunni Caliph Jalil of the Abbassids – for Mauritania. It should be an interesting challenge given many would no doubt respond to Jalil’s call, though Toste – now able to command over 200,000 troops to the colours, not including allies – was hardly afraid of this latest development.
Now, that truly is an empire. Definitely can see that you are ready for both the Mongols and Aztecs with those numbers.

To All: Next chapter coming up soon, made possible in part due to my confinement at home due to Covid (again) instead of the planned weekend of cricket and golf!
:eek: So sorry to hear of your illness. Hang in there! Hope you recover soon. Probably due to luck (and a lot of precautions), have yet to battle COVID and really not looking forward to it. Wish you the very best in your recovery. (No doubt you will be back outdoors enjoying your favorite sports soon.)

• 1Love
Reactions:
When will the rest of the world learn that revolting against their lieges will only result in an opportunistic attack by Russia?

Is Aleta interested in either of those factions for the Russian throne? Her backing could make them into a bigger threat... and Fylkir Toste seems rather occupied right now. If she wanted to do something, now would be an excellent time to make a move.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Another fine report!
Thanks mate. :)
Lately, because your empire is so large, this is the feeling I get from each chapter. There's so much spinning in Fylkir Toste's world.
This is true - and that is after quite a few more minor or peripheral events have been culled. I think I probably need to generalise even more in between really big things (GHWs, Pact Wars, Imperial Successions etc) until the Mongols and Aztecs come, or I'll never finish! I keep telling myself that, but CK2 has so much flavour to it it's difficult to leave things out. ;)
Now, that truly is an empire. Definitely can see that you are ready for both the Mongols and Aztecs with those numbers.
I'm thinking so, but not having ever played either of those, I'll have to believe it when I see it.
:eek: So sorry to hear of your illness. Hang in there! Hope you recover soon. Probably due to luck (and a lot of precautions), have yet to battle COVID and really not looking forward to it. Wish you the very best in your recovery. (No doubt you will be back outdoors enjoying your favorite sports soon.)
Yes, managed to avoid it for a long time, now twice in little more than a year. :(
When will the rest of the world learn that revolting against their lieges will only result in an opportunistic attack by Russia?
Very true! They just can't help themselves. At least the mechanic means you're also hostile with the parent country - though in this they were from interminable raiding already!
Is Aleta interested in either of those factions for the Russian throne? Her backing could make them into a bigger threat... and Fylkir Toste seems rather occupied right now. If she wanted to do something, now would be an excellent time to make a move.
Aleta has been very quiet since escaping arrest and fleeing to Noregr. Because she's now in another realm, my understanding is she can plot (ie try to murder Toste) from afar, but not participate in any factional stuff (which she'd also need to be a direct vassal landholder for anyway, I think. I'm hoping she just sticks to her new life now: last time I looked she was hunting apostates in her new home! :p

• 1Like
Reactions:
The attempted Cornouaille land grab came to nothing when the rebels won their war against Emund in November 1157. Although not of the Rurikid dynasty, the infant King Fredrik was Toste’s nephew, his mother and Regent being Toste’s half-sister Rikissa.
Could've been good but no big deal losing the opportunity

enough of a pimple on the imperial butt of progress to be squeezed
o_O

And this presented a tempting opportunity to make gains against a rebellion that would not trigger the ‘world pacts’ arrayed against he Rurikids. So an opportunistic Holy War for València was launched with majority Council support to take advantage.
Good opportunity, and also maybe since already parts of the kingdom would be taken maybe the GHW will happen to somewhere else? My money would be on Egypt (because less number of very rich countries, and opening the way to Indian Ocean for vassals to conquer) although Greece or Anatolia can also be fine targets.

Great episode packed with action; and get well soon my friend! I had it a couple of weeks ago and it was hell.

• 1Love
  • 1Like
Reactions:
This was not so much out of altruism to help Emund as to see if a quick conquest could be made of Cornouaille from the rebels
A good idea from Toste. Unfortunate that it didn't pan out.
Toste’s younger brother and the former heir (now second in line) Þorfinn came of age.
At least he's lost his nickname now that he's an adult. It was probably just some childhood name-calling by Toste.
An interesting and complex set of campaigns had just begun for the Russians, who looked to a period of vigorous blood and battle.
A nice reference! I think the Russians can handle these various campaigns. They've had much experience.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Could've been good but no big deal losing the opportunity
A good idea from Toste. Unfortunate that it didn't pan out.
Yes, worth a try, but it was really just a little bit of border gore management. England generally remains our most powerful Norse ally.
Good opportunity, and also maybe since already parts of the kingdom would be taken maybe the GHW will happen to somewhere else? My money would be on Egypt (because less number of very rich countries, and opening the way to Indian Ocean for vassals to conquer) although Greece or Anatolia can also be fine targets.
Quite possibly. This was a good opportunity to extend the land bridge to southern Hispania. There will likely be a few future GHW opportunities to choose from in the near future.
Great episode packed with action; and get well soon my friend! I had it a couple of weeks ago and it was hell.
Thanks my friend. My second time now (after not getting it till late last year). Have had antivirals this time (due to some underlying factors I won't go into, though one of them is being an old dodderer ;)) so this one has been far less severe and I think shorter than that time, which was most unpleasant. Hope you have been able to fully recover by now.
At least he's lost his nickname now that he's an adult. It was probably just some childhood name-calling by Toste.
If Toste is the Purifier, I think he may want to name Porfinn 'the Putrifier': his perfidy worsens (though to be fair, Toste wasn't exactly kind to him when they were children: giving him a demon-spawn betrothed, taunting him for his butt-ugliness, then breaking the betrothal and replacing her with one of his own concubines, who he continued to 'keep warm' for him! He reaps as he sows!
A nice reference! I think the Russians can handle these various campaigns. They've had much experience.
Thanks! We shall soon see how the fighting goes ...

To All: I had all the images for the next chapter done already, as this was going to be one episode I then broke into two to keep manageable. So the next chapter - which covers a shorter period but three separate campaigns - will be up shortly!

• 3Like
Reactions:
Chapter 51: Fighting for Religion and Kin (1158)
Chapter 51: Fighting for Religion and Kin (1158)

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

The Holy War for València

Of the three recently started wars, that for València probably had the most urgency (as it was against a revolt, meaning the conquest had to be resolved before the civil war ended) and the most to gain for the Rurikids (the other two conflicts being defensive in nature). In mid-January 1158, the siege of Deniyya by Jarl Rikulfr II was supplemented when General Gaufrid (a new Russian commander) arrived with the Jomsvikings in Castellon.

OjYMWi.jpg

This left sizeable enemy forces in between the two Russian armies in València, with more on the way. Meanwhile, at sea to the south-east, the large fleet carrying the levies from King Refr was on its way to fight the Jihad in Mauretania.

By early March, the Tulunid Revolt had assembled a large army in Balansiyya, which moved to attack Rikulfr in Deniyya. Birger had arrived in Castellon with reinforcements in late February and he took over the combined force, breaking the siege on 5 March and attempting to intercept the rebels before they could strike Rikulfr: it would be a close-run thing!

Gz4HwU.jpg

Simultaneously, Rikulfr also broke his siege in Deniyya (the first holding having just fallen on 24 February), hoping to reinforce Birger in Balansiyya if the battle eventuated there: Birger would have to hold outnumbered for a week before the flank march could strike the rebels.

The rebels hesitated and were attacked by Birger in Balansiyya on the 12th. The first part of the plan had worked. The enemy had the best of these opening exchanges. Birger’s divisions were outnumbered – especially in the centre – but did their best to press the attack until relief came.

tUTq9k.jpg

Rikulfr’s arrival – where he took personal command in the centre - coincided with a great melee breaking out there. The numbers had now been evened up. The berserk charge of the Russian heavy infantry was devastating: hundreds of the Valencian soldiers were mown down like ripe wheat.

dps8x5.jpg

By 22 December they had broken, with Rikulfr in pursuit while the fight on the flanks was still in the skirmish phase, though the numbers now favoured the attackers. And more Russian levies were approaching through Barcelona by that point.

At that time, up in the north Hrörekr’s Guard army had finished the march from Cornouaille to invest the Tulunid Rebel capital in Oviedo.

P7zozc.jpg

Back in Balansiyya, the battle raged on. By 31 March both the left and right wings were engaged in fierce melee. Fatally for the enemy, Rikulfr had returned from his pursuit and crashed into the flank of the Rebel division on the left, again to bloody effect.

aN9Qnk.jpg

Soon the entire Rebel defence had broken and by 10 April the pursuit was over. Over half the enemy army had been killed in a decisive blow, with two of their commanders captured on the field. [Though for some reason this did not count to the victory point total.]

As the pursuit was being made in Balansiyya, more widely another Galician and Rebel army was spotted in central Hispania, heading south to Calatrava as the Russian levies reached Tarragona on their way to València.

NxUxlO.jpg

With the victory in Balansiyya, the siege of the castle there began under the command of Birger, while Jarl Rikulfr returned south to resume his interrupted work in Deniyya. Hrörekr ad been brought over to command to newly formed levy army to resume the siege in Castellon.

aIXlml.jpg

The siege work continued over the next few months, making steady progress. In the north, the siege of Oviedo continued as Tulunid disunity played into Toste’s hands, the revolt attacking an outnumbered loyalist force under the personal command of Tulunid Empress Tawaret in early July.

2m4P06.jpg

Oviedo’s castle fell on 20 July, followed by further holdings in Balansiyya and Deniyya in August, though some losses by the besieging forces were suffered. For now, no further substantial Tulunid (Loyalist or Rebel) threat to the four Russian sieges had emerged.

XIDfbM.jpg

On 1 September, the newcomer General Asclettin (who had been campaigning in North Africa up to that point) was installed as the commander in Oviedo as a new Rebel threat approached: and army somewhat larger than his, with no other Russian reinforcements anywhere near. Asclettin was attacked on 23 September, with early skirmishing even. He held the advantage in light and heavy cavalry but the Rebels had more than twice the heavy infantry.

8BGSLY.jpg

But in the end, the battle would last for only four days before events elsewhere saved further bloodshed. A total of 11 holdings had been taken in the four besieged counties from April to the fall of Gandia in Balansiyya on 27 September. And that was enough for Silo of the Tulunid Rebellion to sue for an immediate peace. Asclettin started heading to the safety of Coruña as the settlement was worked out: he had lost fewer than 300 troops in his brief defence.

The short but bloody (for the enemy, at least) Holy War for València had ended in a total victory for the Fylkir, who would soon have to work out a division of the spoils. And how many levies should be demobilised or sent over to fight the Jihadis in North Africa.

uPcZKh.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

The English Revolt

The diverted Irish levies landed in Winchester in mid-February 1158 and were put under the command of the experienced Jarl Vagn. King Fredrik’s small allied force would be asked to converge on his army as it went ‘putting the stick about’ the rebel scum. The other two allies who had joined for the Jihad were being ordered down to join Birger in Hispania in the first case.

q8l4lF.jpg

A first skirmish was fought at Staines in Middlesex from 1 March, with the 657 ‘unaffiliated’ enemy troops being wiped out within four days. Vagn then began the pursuit of a larger rebel army (of around 4,100 men) to the north.

Vagn attacked these rebels at the Battle of Crowland in Northampton on 18 March and had beaten them by 4 April, leaving around 2,200 of them to flee north-west as Vagn chased. This battle, against an ‘official’ rebel army, did count to the war’s outcome.

OIWJCU.jpg

In late April, the actual main army of the English rebels turned up in Cornouaille and began to siege down its holdings. For now, with the Holy War and Jihad raging as well, the Russians did not send any force to confront them.

KuR10A.jpg

As Vagn marched north, he encountered two different rebel contingents. The first was ambushed and destroyed in Chester by 12 May, the second (the remnants from the earlier Battle of Crowland) by 2 June in Lancaster. The siege of the castle at Lancaster would last until it surrendered on 7 September.

rFrmbd.jpg

Meanwhile, with the situation in Hispania tending heavily in Russia’s favour, in early July two approaching levy armies were directed to converge on Cornouaille after all: otherwise the rebellion may drag on for longer than necessary. Indeed, Quimper would fall to the rebels in mid-August, setting back the English Loyalist cause somewhat.

CkZ9vj.jpg

As the Holy War for València was ending, the new levy army had converged on Vannes, General Einnar assumed command and would hit Cornouaille on 6 October.

u6DG0v.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

The Sunni Jihad for Mauretania

The first volunteer to support Toste’s defence against the Mauretanian Jihad was the humble but welcome support of Chief Ingjald of Peremyshl. All help would be accepted!

6YWeEC.jpg

The resilient King Gandalfr of Noregr was next to offer support (after England had been called in earlier in January): this was most appreciated and would be remembered favourably by the Fylkir.

GOwAak.jpg

By 21 February, Caliph Jalil had 16 participants signed up, with King Raimundo of Galicia being the closest and most significant of these.

YAbfyM.jpg

In mid-Apr 1158, the Sardinian and Corsican levy had landed in Al Dazair and crossed the Atlas Mountains with Asclettin in charge, on its way to confront a Jihadist army that was now investing Cebta.

hg8AtK.jpg

In an unavoidable setback, one of the two vulnerable temples held in distant Arabia fell to a large Abbasid army on 4 April.

hz14HY.jpg

As Asclettin approached Cebta on 20 May, the Valèncian Holy War was still far from resolved, though the decisive Battle of Balansiyya had just been fought and won. And a new Jihadist army had been spotted to the east of Bejaija. The Galician army was marching through Russian Seville on its way to an uncontested crossing of the Strait of Gibraltar.

gEhguw.jpg

The Temple of Seiyun in Hadranawt soon followed Sabwa into Abbasid occupation on 2 June, giving the Jihad another easy win that the Germanics would be unable to reverse.

The Catlatayud Jihadist army broke its siege of Cebta in June as Asclettin approached from El Rif. They would wisely avoid contact, falling back to join King Raimundo’s more powerful army then besieging Tangier.

OG9etV.jpg

This set up the second major battle of the year and the first of the Jihad as the two roughly equally sized armies met on the field of Mulay Buselham in Tangier on 8 July 1158. By the time the two sides clashed, Jarl Rikulfr had taken charge, leading a team of Russia’s best generals to command the three divisions.

frjhUX.jpg

The fight was brisk, but not as tough as might have been expected for the Germanic attackers, with the enemy losing 8,000 men and one of their leaders as a prisoner. The battle, large though the enemy toll had been, only contributed a small amount to the overall cause.
After this strong victory, the army would then turn around to relieve Biskra, which had been under Jihadi siege since early July. By then, the war in Hispania was reaching its final stages.

MaZ0kk.jpg

Simultaneously, many hundreds of leagues away, reports had reached the capital that an Abbasid army was passing through Byzantine lands towards southern Russia. The ‘Young Guard’ detachment training in Holmgarðr was sent south to lead a response – plus a force of 13,000 vassal levies call out to ensure any further follow-up incursions could be handled.

HFIK2I.jpg

By mid-August, another dozen realms had joined the Jihad, bringing the total to 28. Russia still had just the three allies.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Court and Dynasty

At home, Toste’s faithful Spymaster Hakon went down one cold and dark alley too many in search of a lead and was beaten to death by anonymous thugs in February 1158. The most qualified replacement was the accomplished and equally loyal Jarl Hroðulfr de Normandie of Vladimir. And a check of plots at this time found that there was something rotten in the state of Denmark. As well as the County of Heves!

Cs8wDT.jpg

Less serious was King Hemming II of Denmark plotting to murder Toste’s pesky half-brother and second in line to the throne, Þorfinn. A plot Toste could not stop – and didn’t particularly want to! Because more concerning was Hemming’s brother (another senior Imperial claimant) Prince Ingólfr – whose target was Toste himself – backed by the treacherous Þorfinn! ["My HALF-brother", I can hear in the back of my mind, @Chac1 :D] This latter plot was soon ended, but the falling-out between the two brothers was now clearly apparent.

Good news came in May with Imperial Concubine Asa announcing another pregnancy.

YTu6rV.jpg

Another change to the Council was caused in August by the death of Jarl Eskild. And the best-qualified replacement was none other than Empress Ingrid herself, for whom diplomacy was her strongest suit. She was also made Dróttseti to see if she might eventually become a loyalist for her husband.

l4R2zE.jpg

That famous Greek centre of culture, Athens, had converted to Germanicism in April 1155. Heves (converted by the Seer) followed in 1156, then three North African counties in 1157. No doubt further provocation for the irate Sunni Caliph!

HPoymr.jpg

As Toste III contemplated his victory in València and the two continuing wars, his young heir Ottarr had turned one year old. And the relationship with Ingrid also blossomed further as the two appeared to fall genuinely in love. Despite that, for ‘reasons of state’, Toste would be on the look out for a new concubine soon.

1vnjUq.jpg

At this time, the leading claimants to the Imperial throne, after young Ottarr, were the now reviled half-brother Prince Þorfinn, followed by Toste’s cousin Yngvar of the Barony of Okulovka, then Uncle Tyke ‘the Witch Hunter’, who was now heir to the Warchief of the Jomsvikings. Then came the two Danes, Hemming and Ingólfr. Which of course explained their recent plotting shenanigans.

HpqXq5.jpg

NB: There’s no room for it here, but as a postscript a bit later I’ll put out an annotated dynastic tree I’m working on covering these main claimants.

So in early October 1158, Toste had two wars needing to be dealt with and a large impending battle against English Rebels in Cornouaille.

m1KFwP.jpg

Tulunid Egypt had not yet joined the Jihad; the murder plot against Count Rudolf languished; and Toste had largesse to distribute from the annexation of València – though he might be tempted to keep one of the counties for himself (with one more possible in his demesne, thanks to Ingrid’s boost to state diplomacy after their marriage).

• 5Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
meaning the conquest had to be resolved before the civil war ended)
If you occupy one rebel holding, then their liege cannot peace out the war. However, I think the rebels can still win by themselves, they just can't lose or white peace.
Rikulfr’s arrival – where he took personal command in the centre - coincided with a great melee breaking out there. The numbers had now been evened up. The berserk charge of the Russian heavy infantry was devastating: hundreds of the Valencian soldiers were mown down like ripe wheat.
A bloody massacre. Just what any true viking loves!
In late April, the actual main army of the English rebels turned up in Cornouaille and began to siege down its holdings.
This county has been the center of a lot of action as of late.
This latter plot was soon ended, but the falling-out between the two brothers was now clearly apparent.
A sad state of affairs. Though this definitely adds to the Hamlet similarities. One brother trying to murder the other and prevent the son from inheriting.
then three North African counties in 1157. No doubt further provocation for the irate Sunni Caliph!
This is probably the in-universe reason why the Caliph declared in the first place: supposed persecution/Muslim expulsion by the Russian administrators.
NB: There’s no room for it here, but as a postscript a bit later I’ll put out an annotated dynastic tree I’m working on covering these main claimants.
Very cool! Looking forward to it!

• 1Like
Reactions:
Wow! Three wars at once. Seems you have them mostly in hand though at the moment. This is a good warm-up for when the Aztecs and Mongols squeeze from their ends of the map.

Less serious was King Hemming II of Denmark plotting to murder Toste’s pesky half-brother and second in line to the throne, Þorfinn. A plot Toste could not stop – and didn’t particularly want to! Because more concerning was Hemming’s brother (another senior Imperial claimant) Prince Ingólfr – whose target was Toste himself – backed by the treacherous Þorfinn! ["My HALF-brother", I can hear in the back of my mind, @Chac1 :D] This latter plot was soon ended, but the falling-out between the two brothers was now clearly apparent.

Always so much fun when brothers turn on each other (at least for authAARs). So funny though that King Þorolfr is echoing in your head with his favorite pet peeve. But some folks are just particular about getting the genealogy right.

King-Half-Brother.png
(Yes, he hectors me about getting it right all the time in my AAR too. Please excuse him.)
Aleta has been very quiet since escaping arrest and fleeing to Noregr. Because she's now in another realm, my understanding is she can plot (ie try to murder Toste) from afar, but not participate in any factional stuff (which she'd also need to be a direct vassal landholder for anyway, I think. I'm hoping she just sticks to her new life now: last time I looked she was hunting apostates in her new home!
I'm with @HistoryDude . I don't trust Aleta.
Sure, she tells everyone she's hunting apostates. That's the cover story. She actually making new apostates and recruiting them to her cause. The Cult of Aleta will no doubt hit you when that Jihad is at its worst.

Good luck, you may need it!

• 2Like
  • 2Haha
Reactions:
Congrats on your victories!

Aleta hunting apostates is suspicious. She's a child of Hel - Orthodox Germanics probably count as apostates to her! I just don't know what she's waiting for to make her move... or perhaps she's training her descendants to take advantage of the Mongol attack?

The half-brother comment was fantastic. That's still the funniest part of Lost Seasons of the Danes to me.

• 1Love
Reactions:
impressive!

The short but bloody (for the enemy, at least) Holy War for València had ended in a total victory for the Fylkir, who would soon have to work out a division of the spoils. And how many levies should be demobilised or sent over to fight the Jihadis in North Africa.
great job!

Tulunid Egypt had not yet joined the Jihad; the murder plot against Count Rudolf languished; and Toste had largesse to distribute from the annexation of València – though he might be tempted to keep one of the counties for himself (with one more possible in his demesne, thanks to Ingrid’s boost to state diplomacy after their marriage).
I'm not sure if it's better they joined and weakened so we can counter GHW to Sunni heartland Egypt

• 1Like
Reactions:
Some interim comment feedback as I get ready to play the next session.
If you occupy one rebel holding, then their liege cannot peace out the war. However, I think the rebels can still win by themselves, they just can't lose or white peace.
Not sure of all that, assumed if the Rebels lose to the Loyalists, then we get inconclusive war end? Or vice versa. But in the absence of certainty, I just assume I need to get the job done before either of those things happen! o_O
A bloody massacre. Just what any true viking loves!
Absolutely - blood and battle at its best (or worst, if on the receiving end :eek:).
This county has been the center of a lot of action as of late.
Yes, and will see some heavy action soon!
A sad state of affairs. Though this definitely adds to the Hamlet similarities. One brother trying to murder the other and prevent the son from inheriting.
In fact, pretty reflective of Danish (and Scandinavian more widely) successions through to the early modern period!
This is probably the in-universe reason why the Caliph declared in the first place: supposed persecution/Muslim expulsion by the Russian administrators.
It makes sense. Like the Popes trying to get back France and then Italy in Crusades. Toste has no intention of treating this one any differently. Though maybe a raid on the Abbasid capital and/or high warscore counties could help, I suppose? It's not like Rome and the Pope in Crusades, I assume, due to the amount of land they own. And Jalil's capital is isolated, all the way over in Tabaristan on the southern coast of the Caspian Sea! Capturing the Caliph in combat would be another easy end, but unlikely even if I try.
Very cool! Looking forward to it!
Here it is, but first a reposting of the current line of succession.

HpqXq5.jpg

4H6dvb.jpg
Wow! Three wars at once. Seems you have them mostly in hand though at the moment. This is a good warm-up for when the Aztecs and Mongols squeeze from their ends of the map.
The Jihad is the serious, though not worrying one. The difficulty will I suspect be getting the warscore up to a level where at least a white peace might be possible. It could drag on for quite some time, but Toste will try some tricks to see what can be done.
Always so much fun when brothers turn on each other (at least for authAARs). So funny though that King Þorolfr is echoing in your head with his favorite pet peeve. But some folks are just particular about getting the genealogy right.

King-Half-Brother.png
(Yes, he hectors me about getting it right all the time in my AAR too. Please excuse him.)
It popped up quickly and would not go away! :D And thanks for reminding us, King Porolfr. We'd forgotten! ;)
I'm with @HistoryDude . I don't trust Aleta.
Sure, she tells everyone she's hunting apostates. That's the cover story. She actually making new apostates and recruiting them to her cause. The Cult of Aleta will no doubt hit you when that Jihad is at its worst.

Good luck, you may need it!
She'll never be trusted, but has been very quiet since fleeing into exile. Fingers remain crossed for now :oops:
Congrats on your victories!
Thank you.
Aleta hunting apostates is suspicious. She's a child of Hel - Orthodox Germanics probably count as apostates to her! I just don't know what she's waiting for to make her move... or perhaps she's training her descendants to take advantage of the Mongol attack?
Of course, but not a lot I can do about her at the moment. As long as she sticks to he escapades in Noregr, we'll be uneasily happy.
The half-brother comment was fantastic. That's still the funniest part of Lost Seasons of the Danes to me.
I agree. Very memorable: so much so it has become in-house meme material. :p
impressive!

great job!
Thank you. The poor Valencian rebels really had little chance in the end, though they did must some decent sized armies.
I'm not sure if it's better they joined and weakened so we can counter GHW to Sunni heartland Egypt
Oh, there will be time for them later if they don't join this one. There have been some calls before for a Crusade-like adventure in the Middle East. Perhaps a seaborne end run might be worth trying? Plenty of vassal ships available ...

• 4Like
Reactions:
Not to wear the joke too thin....

In fact, pretty reflective of Danish (and Scandinavian more widely) successions through to the early modern period!
In the play-through that informs my AAR I am currently about a hundred years in the future beyond King Þorolfr's time and this is still the case. You have to hand it to Paradox for building a system that mirrors this so well. Quite the challenge.

We will see how the sibling rivalry in this AAR now plays out....

• 1Like
Reactions:
Not to wear the joke too thin....

In the play-through that informs my AAR I am currently about a hundred years in the future beyond King Þorolfr's time and this is still the case. You have to hand it to Paradox for building a system that mirrors this so well. Quite the challenge.

We will see how the sibling rivalry in this AAR now plays out....

YWupOI.jpg

• 2Like
  • 2Love
Reactions:
Chapter 52: The Great Jihad (1158-60)
Chapter 52: The Great Jihad (1158-60)

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

The English Revolt

As the English revolt was largely disabled in England itself, their main army remained intact in Cornouaille. On 6 October 1158 that came to an end when they were struck by a large Russian levy army led by Einnarr, Russia’s top field general (there were so many different armies deployed by this time that most could only afford to be given one commander each).

SGVYcp.jpg

The battle was a routine win for the Loyalist cause, though the Rebels had put up a game enough fight. The Russians stayed on to start retaking the holdings that had been lost to the rebels in past months.

By 9 January 1159 Salford had fallen to siege, completing the occupation of Lancaster. The large Russian army split into two halves, one going north to Westmorland, the other south to Chester, where the first castle was taken on 12 April.

The rebellion was finally defeated in the field. Their army had eventually rallied and moved north, heading through Anjou to Maine. The Russians had retaken both holdings in Cornouaille by 21 February and chased the Rebels down in Maine, where they attacked on 10 April. Another tough battle was fought out, but the now ‘leaderless’ (by a recognised commander) Russians prevailed.

4WwDAI.jpg

This prompted negotiations to begin on 7 May and by the 15th, the rebel leader Jarl Sæmundr II had signed their capitulation. Toste’s young nephew Fredrik’s throne had been secured, thanks largely to his powerful uncle’s assistance.

This meant the troops used would now be free for redeployment to fight the Jihad for Mauretania.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Jihad in North Africa: The 1st Battle of Constantine

The main – but not only – front for the Mauritanian Jihad from 1158-60 would be in North Africa. On 2 October, reports from coastal observation showed thousands of Jihadists from many countries making their way through Tulunid Libya to the main front, then to the east of Byzantine Tunis.

b5unII.jpg

Jarl Rikulfr II was passing through Tulunid Ouled Nail towards besieged Biskra when he encountered the Galician-Calatayud army led by King Raimundo. A local Annaban army was on its way to reinforce its colleagues and would arrive three days later.

YEqzhX.jpg

This would not be enough to save the Jihadis from a massive defeat, but during the combat Russia’s right flank commander Tjudmund was killed in the wild melee. Two Galician nobles were captured during the pursuit: neither were accomplished soldiers, so were ransomed to help offset the considerable monthly deficit the Russians were accruing.

The commander vacancy created was used to recruit a siege specialist, Toste’s distant cousin Sörkver Rurikid. He would soon be employed in the English sieges, before joining the Jihad defence later.

No specific message was received about the result of the Hispanian civil war, but it was assumed the rebels may have won. In any case, Badshah Abdullah of Egypt ended up inheriting all of Tulunid Spain on 11 January 1159. The whole realm was united into a single Empire. Tawaret the Usurper and Silo of the revolt both survived and became Abdullah’s vassals.

f2F8bd.jpg

From late January through to 10 April, Abdullah would destroy four sultanate-level titles as he reorganised his new realm and remained neutral in the Jihad.

As Rikulfr pulled into Biskra, spies reported the progress of over 27,000 Jihadists now snaking their way along the Libyan coast towards Tunisia.

cZTi1D.jpg

A small enemy force entered Bejaija, to Rikulfr’s north, in March so he used the opportunity to ambush them in a narrow pass near the town of El Bekara, killing 1,315 of the 2,440 Jihadists by 31 March.

The same day, news came that Badshah Abdullah – though known to be personally a coward – had joined his newly united realm to the Abbasid Caliph’s Jihad, bringing another 23,000 men into the conflict and bringing Spain alive again as a theatre of conflict.

AlbZRm.jpg

By mid-April, Rikulfr had pushed forward to Tulunid Constantine, attacking the lead Jihadist army. He aimed to defeat them before too many of their comrades could reinforce the fight. He took an upper hand in the initial skirmishing.

0fphrp.jpg

To his west, three Russian armies, one with allied contingents from Noregr and Peremyshl, were approaching him. The second of these – another without an assigned commander – engaged a newly belligerent local Tulunid army at Jerada in Snassen on 22 April. The battle would result in a useful win by mid-May, though it had delayed that army for a month.

6OMqVi.jpg

Over in Constantine, Rikulfr’s gamble had backfired as more Jihadist reinforcements arrived. By 6 May the Russians were outnumbered somewhat and the enemy were generally fresher.

yWMdgT.jpg

Casualties were similar on both sides, but it was Rikulfr’s men who broke first, handing the Jihad its first substantial victory on 21 May. Despite this, Toste’s retention of control of Mauretania plus the earlier string of victories had outweighed the loss of those isolated temples in southern Arabia.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Jihad, North Africa: The Battle of Skikda

On 23 June, the 15,400 troops who had been assisting the English around Lancaster had taken ship and were heading towards western France, where the army that had retaken Cornouaille and administered the final defeat of the rebels at Maine was now waiting.

Jarl Vagn of Yaroslavl, one of Toste’s best and most experienced generals, had marched his army to the front and by the end of July was attacking the enemy in the 2nd Battle of Constantine. He slightly outnumbered the enemy, who had similarly accomplished commanders and stood on favourable ground at the mountain stronghold of Tébessa. The Germanics had the better of the initial skirmishing, but Jarl Vagn got a bit to close to the fighting on 3 August, taking an arrow through the eye that killed him instantly.

ngS1ZD.jpg

After the battle, his commanders position would be taken up by the newly crowned King Ingólfr, but for now the centre was left without a leader. This did not stop the Russians from winning a major victory. The enemy commander, a renowned general named Nizam ibn Abdul-Gafur, was captured during the pursuit. He was deemed too dangerous an opponent to be ransomed – or indeed left alive!

By mid-August, the army in France had embarked on the passing fleet, with 28,000 troops now commencing the voyage around Spain towards Tunis. And in Spain, a Tulunid force had taken the vulnerable Alcázar de San Juan in Calatrava [worth -4.77% warscore]. This would be a running sore in the future and will be dealt with in the Hispania section below.

A follow up Norse army won a small battle in Biskra, just west of Constantine, on 7 September (900 of 2,500 Jihadists killed) as the Russians prepared for some larger enemy armies (well over 30,000 men in total) approaching along the Libyan coast and now moving into southern Tunis.

Next came a larger battle in Bejaija, where the newly arrived King Ingólfr led his army against a mid-sized Jihadist force to great effect, killing almost half of them.

YsV87G.jpg

It was just as well, as reports now indicated a total of almost 45,000 Jihadists were heading their way. The Russians had almost exactly the same number gathered in eastern Algeria.

It was just a few days later when word came that the once-great but now rather reduced Samanid Shahdom had joined Caliph Jalil’s Jihad. His army was smaller than the Samanids had once commanded but it posed a potential threat to Toste’s steppe territories.

5q1iMZ.jpg

And this brought to Toste’s attention that there had been a major dislocation within the Tulunid Empire some time in the last few months. No notifications had been received, but most of Abdullah’s Egyptian lands had apparently broken away into a welter of smaller states. Most of which had not committed to the Jihad, such as the largest of the new independent realms, that of the Hararid Emir Salim.

RPeapK.jpg

Only one of these would declare for the Jihad in the next four months – Emir Hussayn of the Abazids.

The climactic battle that had been brewing for weeks now in North Africa began with the Jihad pushing a large army into Annaba in October. The two Russian armies in Bejaija and Constantine coordinated their marches to arrive in Annaba on the same day, while Sigbjörn’s army followed up from Biskra to Bejaija, knowing more Jihadi armies were approaching from the east.

vkDgKO.jpg

The two sides came together on the plains of Skikda in Annaba on 13 November 1159 in what would prove to be one of the major battles of the Jihad. Jarl Rikulfr had come to take overall command before the battle began, seeking some revenge for his earlier stinging defeat at Constantine. And despite heavy Russian casualties, the Jihadists suffered more than twice as many with well over 9,000 perishing.

Despite this, yet more Muslim troops were on their way across Libya. But it was decided in January 1160 that the Irish fleet ferrying troops from England and France would bypass the North African fighting and take the war to the Caliph himself.

PBpNPN.jpg

No sieges on other Jihadi lands could generate leverage for victory [ie warscore] and even big wins such as the most recent one only contributed small amounts to the victory stakes. An invasion of Palestine would hopefully mean this war would not last for the many years it seemed to be heading for otherwise.

With no more significant fighting in North Africa for the few months following the Battle of Skikda, the fleet arrived in the Sea of Palestine in early March. Rikulfr would command one army of around 14,000 to land in El-Arish, while Sörkver the siege master would lead around 12,500 men in a risky opposed landing against 4,000 defenders in Asqalan, two counties to the north.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Jihad: Hispania

In early October 1158, Empress Taweret was still defending a revolt against her ‘tyranny’, now uncomplicated by the just-finished Russian intervention in València. Those troops were about to head off to North Africa to meet the coming Jihadist threat.

Qbo5sI.jpg

Taweret looked to be losing quickly now and as we saw earlier, would lose her fight and be subsumed under united Tulunid rule later that year.

After the entry of Galicia into the Jihad, the Russian reserve army that had been recovering from the Valèncian campaign in Coruña decided in late January to move south to Santiago to see if they could do any good.

They would take Santiago Castle on 25 April and it confirmed that taking the holdings of non-Abbasid Jihad members would do no good. Instead, they planned to hook around back through Coruña to Oviedo, to see if they could catch an approaching Tulunid army there ‘for a bit of sport’. But the enemy always seemed to keep a move ahead of them.

September found the Norsemen in central Spain after a few small skirmishes along the way, heading under Sörkver’s command to take Alcázar de San Juan in Calatrava, which had been taken some months before. They would need to fight another small engagement on their way south.

With Spain now crawling with small Tulunid forces mobilised after the unification of the country under Abdullah and his entry into the Jihad, the remaining western vassal levies, around 3,200 men in total, were called out on 5 October 1159 and ordered to concentrate in southern France for employment in Spain.

Sörkver quickly took Alcázar de San Juan by assault on 10 November and headed south to chase a Tulunid army that had just crossed the Strait of Gibraltar to no doubt create mischief behind the lines in the Jihad’s target, Mauretania. Sörkver hoped to pick up around 3,600 Norwegian allies who were then to the south in Malaga.

Then in January 1160, there was welcome news when Toste’s brother-in-law, King Birger ‘the Butcher’ of Skotland, volunteered to defend Germanicism. His army of over 8,000 men would eventually take ship and arrive in Spain later that year.

xDSoml.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Jihad: Southern Russia

By 5 November 1158, the raiding Abbasid army had reached Oleshye and started a siege. The gathering Russian responders, which included a Young Guard detachment from the capital and a range of levies from Hungary and Russia, aimed to concentrate in Korsun, where they would have a clear line of advance to attack the enemy.

wFePu6.jpg

It would take until early February 1159 to press home the attack, which was done with devastating effect, the pre-eminent Russian general Einnarr having taken command of the army for the occasion. They would pursue the invaders east past the Sea of Azov.

Just as they were closing in on the Abbasids in Kuban in mid-March, word came that a larger Jihadi army (around 4,600 men) had arrived and started besieging Aqtöbe, north-east of the Caspian Sea. Einnarr would have to remove the enemy at hand first before the new threat was dealt with.

Einnarr wiped out the second small Abbasid army in Kuban on 1 April, giving no quarter. He let the other routing army continue to flee as the march east to Aqtöbe started.

ans2nC.jpg

As they were nearing the beleaguered fort in late July, reports were received of its fall [-4.11% warscore]. A grim revenge would be taken for this outrage as Einnarr, assisted by top commanders Birger and Asclettin, closed in on the enemy on 9 August. After the victory, the enemy’s formidable commander, Esfandiar the Hunter, was taken prisoner. Again, he got the headsman’s axe for being ‘too good at his trade’.

lrpyb0.jpg

After the Samanids declared for the Jihad, that Norse army started moving further east, aiming to skirt to the north of the Caspian Sea and then hook south to guard the border with the Samanids in case they mounted an invasion. And on 5 October, the remaining Russian levies were called out, another 21,000 men to concentrate at the Black Sea port of Oleshye, ready for whatever tasks may arise in the next phase of the Great Jihad.

Around 8,800 of these troops were sent to gather to the east when scouts reported the 2,600 remnants of the Battle of Aqtöbe had rallied and were heading back towards central Russia. The rest of the troops had by then arrived in Oleshye, awaiting further orders.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

Domestic, Court and Dynastic Affairs

Against the tumultuous background of the Jihad, which eventually brought about the first complete Russian mobilisation in many decades, there was some upheaval at home as well, interspersed with better news.

All through this period, a firm eye was kept on the treasury. On 2 October 1158, it stood at nearly 6,000 gold crowns, but the monthly deficit was 120 gold (income 63, expenses 183, most on retinue upkeep and reinforcement, a far smaller amount on levy upkeep) and usually hovered from 100-110 throughout as both combat losses and attrition demanded coin to service the war. With no raiding possible, a steady flow of ransoms from some captured commanders and prisoners taken in sieges would provide some supplement.

At the end of the month, the irritating presence of Jarl Folki of Dauphine again became an issue – and this time, with a Viking reputation and his Warden armour to protect him, Toste decided enough was enough. The mangy dog was challenged to a holmgang!

iQuOJy.jpg

In the end there was no risk as the cowardly Folki declined the challenge - he must have assessed the odds and not liked them. Hopefully this would now put him in his place.

A few days later, to celebrate, Toste recruited a new concubine, the young and lusty Ulfhildr af Holmgarðr, to bring his complement of ‘intimate companions’ back up to three again. With only one rather frail infant heir, he wanted more spares to guarantee the succession of his line.

And there seemed to be evidence that all that investment in hospital infrastructure in the home counties was paying off: a smallpox epidemic that had broken out in Bryansk over a year before had not spread into either Toropets or Torzhok, providing a buffer for the capital.

Ge1yQA.jpg

Then Asa’s pregnancy ended in an excellent dynastic result in December: a healthy second son named Sturla was welcomed into the Imperial family.

EG9NCy.jpg

Though the Fylkir’s mood was soured a few days later when a drunken conspirator spilled their guts – and the beans – on the plot to kill Count Rudolf. Which despite its strength still seemed to be going nowhere. Toste kept trying anyway.

sesiKw.jpg

Toste only remembered the need to divest himself of those excess holdings from the Valéncian Holy War at that point. He would keep the well-developed regional capital for himself, the rest distributed to those powerful magnates whose support needed shoring up at that point.

8NHYhZ.jpg

Jarl Rikulfr II ‘Son of Hel’ of Savoy and the now cowed Jarl Folki II of Dauphine (personal animus not getting in the way of politics) were both given counties. Warchief Bo of the Jomsvikings and King Jedvard Rurikid of Volga Bulgaria were both given subordinate titles in Valéncia.

Then as the year was drawing to a close, Empress Ingrid announced her latest pregnancy: a third son, Halsten, would be born eight months later.

l8nAq3.jpg

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

The good news kept coming, with Seer Gnupa reporting his successful conversion of Almiera in southern Hispania to Germanicism in late January 1159. Another useful snub to the Jihadists.

A month later came new that feuding within the Rurikid clan governing Volga Bulgaria via a war against the tyranny of old Jedvard the Butcher had ended in victory for the rebels. By some political manoeuvring Toste could not exactly decipher, Ingólfr Rurikid became the new King. He would later be deployed to fight in the Jihad as a commander after the death of Jarl Vagn in the 2nd Battle of Constantine in August that year.

tkoMSr.jpg

The latest outrage from the ‘Bad Brother’ Prince Þorfinn was news in March of a plot to kill Toste that had been detected by the Spymaster, with a standard ‘cease and desist’ letter being sent automatically, which Þorfinn would submit to.

Things at home were relatively quiet for the next few months, until a few weeks after the birth of young Prince Halsten Toste acquired a nasty headache that would just not go away …

FPUXNJ.jpg

A mildly successful treatment was administered by Court Physician Gnupa, who thought it might be a case of dysentery. In late August a fever was added to Toste’s woes. Uh oh …

Planning to ‘eat the fever away’ Toste self-medicated by going on a feasting binge. Perhaps that would help … or not!

xVzvNw.jpg

But still. He’d known the risks and wanted the health benefits, though alas it resulted in him becoming a glutton. At least by this time the smallpox epidemic was starting to abate, never having broken into the home counties.

Later in September Gnupa was called back – now he thought it was the flu and the treatment he provided was excellent. And so too this latest diagnosis.

TBxAjs.jpg

With the illness setting in, Toste asked to see his heir Ottarr, still only 2, and the Empress. Toste thought Old Chief Ulfr was ‘getting past it’ and Ingrid, now also Chancellor, would make a better regent anyway in case the worst happened. The change was made.

FQciMn.jpg

This proved a prudent precaution, as Gnupa returned in mid-October to review Toste’s progress. One of the options he offered was a mystical treatment. Interested in this novel approach and having hired Gnupa as a mystic healer in the first place, Toste placed his trust in this treatment. It was a decision he soon came to regret …

77Uhis.jpg

… many thought the Fylkir, who had cheated death as a child by beating the Bubonic Plague, had finally run out of luck as his life hung in the balance. Even if it would in time make him a kinder, humbler person. If he lived!

But even as illness and its ‘cure’ debilitated Toste, there was a ray of light. In part due to solidarity in the face of the Muslim threat and perhaps some healing of old wounds, Prince Þorfinn’s opinion of his half-brother had improved since the murder plot earlier in the year.

F3QgjO.jpg

Hoping to bring about a rapprochement, a small sum was sent in November as a gift that would boost that opinion even further. And by January 1160 Þorfinn had left both his factions … meaning there were none at all in the realm at that time.

And it is clear from the court records of the time that Toste may have been ill but was not incapacitated. New concubine Ulfhildr was pregnant by the end of November 1159.

ᚔ ᚱᚢᚱᛁᚲᛁᛞ ᚔ

The new year came and Toste was still alive … and Gnupa visited once more offering a new treatment. This time, Toste opted for the conservative choice – which despite its stinkiness turned out to be an excellent one!

1qNImy.jpg

The mystic side-effects were banished early, his abilities returned – less the gluttony but retaining his ‘well-fed’ benefits. On 9 February, with a now sufficient family and needing to boost his rulership abilities, Toste changed his focus to better balance his demesne and vassal management.

Later that month, he decided the accomplished commander Einnarr would be a better choice of educator for the Crown Prince than the Court Tutor, given Orttarr’s initial education in the ways of struggle.

Though Toste was still not clear of the flu and remained in some danger, perhaps he had survived the wort part of the illness that had come with his seemingly misplaced trust in ‘mystic healing’ methods, emerging as a better man. And he still had a Great Jihad to contend with, as the Caliph’s reserves of willing warriors from across the Sunni realms had proven larger than the Germanics had anticipated.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Well it seems the young Purifier was almost overly-purified in this chapter. Exciting to see the progress of the defense against the Jihadis. Also, love the little touches on the maps. You've added new layers with photos on top that add to the map flavor. Not sure if that is new this chapter but noticeable and quite nice. Also, like the short cameo by Alexander Skarsgård.

All through this period, a firm eye was kept on the treasury. On 2 October 1158, it stood as nearly 6,000 gold crowns, but the monthly deficit was 120 gold (income 63, expenses 183, most on retinue upkeep and reinforcement, a far smaller amount on levy upkeep) and usually hovered from 100-110 throughout as both combat losses and attrition demanded coin to service the war.
Not sure I've ever had an empire as large as Russia. Some of my Empires of Hispania came close though in play-throughs long ago. One trick during large wars though was to turn off replenishment of retinues. Yes, they will get run down, but they are really costly when they get beat up. You'll have to recover them eventually, but during a war might not be the right time depending upon the threat you face.
The mangy dog was challenged to a holmgang!
Did you know he was going to run before you issued the challenge?
Then as the year was drawing to a close, Empress Ingrid announced her latest pregnancy: a third son, Halsten, would be born eight months later.
Congrats on all the new potential heirs.
The latest outrage from the ‘Bad Brother’ Prince Þorfinn was news in March of a plot to kill Toste that had been detected by the Spymaster, with a standard ‘cease and desist’ letter being sent automatically, which Þorfinn would submit to.
Nothing like murderous brothers (or half-brothers). Glad you found a positive way to fix this eventually. But will the new peace treaty between the brothers hold?
This time, Toste opted for the conservative choice – which despite its stinkiness turned out to be an excellent one!
Those mystical cures can be fun but the results... well... you've had your share of weird results. Glad the young Fylkir survived.

Carry on!

• 1Love
Reactions:
The Jihad is going well for Russia. Soon, the Muslims will know better than to challenge the Fylkir's might.

How did the Tulunids lose their lands in Egypt? Independence revolt? Enclave independence?

I love how the cure changed Toste's traits.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Toste’s young nephew Fredrik’s throne had been secured, thanks largely to his powerful uncle’s assistance.
Hopefully Fedrik remembers this debt.
In any case, Badshah Abdullah of Egypt ended up inheriting all of Tulunid Spain on 11 January 1159. The whole realm was united into a single Empire.
A very impressive, if short lived, feat by the AI.
No notifications had been received, but most of Abdullah’s Egyptian lands had apparently broken away into a welter of smaller states. Most of which had not committed to the Jihad, such as the largest of the new independent realms, that of the Hararid Emir Salim.
Perhaps this was an independence revolt demand that Abdullah accepted?
Despite this, yet more Muslim troops were on their way across Libya. But it was decided in January 1160 that the Irish fleet ferrying troops from England and France would bypass the North African fighting and take the war to the Caliph himself.
A grand expedition. Good luck to the troops!
This proved a prudent precaution, as Gnupa returned in mid-October to review Toste’s progress. One of the options he offered was a mystical treatment. Interested in this novel approach and having hired Gnupa as a mystic healer in the first place, Toste placed his trust in this treatment. It was a decision he soon came to regret …
:eek:
But even as illness and its ‘cure’ debilitated Toste, there was a ray of light. In part due to solidarity in the face of the Muslim threat and perhaps some healing of old wounds, Prince Þorfinn’s opinion of his half-brother had improved since the murder plot earlier in the year.
This is nice at least. All it took was a reminder of his own mortality for Toste to patch things up. The two brothers may never be close, but they at least tolerate each other.

• 1Like
Reactions:
No specific message was received about the result of the Hispanian civil war, but it was assumed the rebels may have won. In any case, Badshah Abdullah of Egypt ended up inheriting all of Tulunid Spain on 11 January 1159. The whole realm was united into a single Empire. Tawaret the Usurper and Silo of the revolt both survived and became Abdullah’s vassals.

The same day, news came that Badshah Abdullah – though known to be personally a coward – had joined his newly united realm to the Abbasid Caliph’s Jihad, bringing another 23,000 men into the conflict and bringing Spain alive again as a theatre of conflict.
all the more reasons to GHW for the kingdom of Egypt after the jihad is defeated!

No sieges on other Jihadi lands could generate leverage for victory [ie warscore] and even big wins such as the most recent one only contributed small amounts to the victory stakes. An invasion of Palestine would hopefully mean this war would not last for the many years it seemed to be heading for otherwise.
that's the spirit

Against the tumultuous background of the Jihad, which eventually brought about the first complete Russian mobilisation in many decades, there was some upheaval at home as well, interspersed with better news.
there may be other generals lost, remember when recruiting new ones that the "holy warrior" trait means he gives 30% extra damage to other religion's armies which are all our enemies at this point. 30% extra damage is like a 20 martial general is fighting like he's a 26 martial general.

Later in September Gnupa was called back – now he thought it was the flu and the treatment he provided was excellent. And so too this latest diagnosis.
couldve been worse

… many thought the Fylkir, who had cheated death as a child by beating the Bubonic Plague, had finally run out of luck as his life hung in the balance.
oh boy

The mystic side-effects were banished early, his abilities returned – less the gluttony but retaining his ‘well-fed’ benefits. One 9 February, with a now sufficient family and needing to boost his rulership abilities, Toste changed his focus to better balance his demesne and vassal management.
phew

• 3Like
Reactions: