• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Marshall18

I sometimes do controversial things
45 Badges
Jul 8, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Sword of the Stars II
  • March of the Eagles
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Darkest Hour
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Hearts of Iron Anthology
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Age of Wonders III
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • 500k Club
  • War of the Roses
  • Victoria 2
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Pre-order
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
It is 10 years ago that I did the first and only AAR that I ever finished.

I reinstalled AoD and nice to see it is still getting updates.

I have a few questions:

I am running the latest version on steam. Is it just me or are fleets super hard to find and very rare to be able to sink ships?
I haven't gotten a single ship sunk or sunk a ship myself in a naval battle yet. 2 years into the war as Germany and constantly fighting the UK fleet.
I put my planes to naval bomb and they sunk some ships but not in naval battles so far.
Am I missing something? I feel like I loose so many ships in DH and not a single in AoD

Also, I saw there is a new 36 scenario. What is the difference between that one and the old 36 scenario?

As for the naval battles, yes there are some things that need to be looked at but 1.12 is still playable. I haven't done any work regarding the naval battles and other fleet issues within the AoD code yet. The naval detection logic is one of the things on the list, along with an issue when reloading a saved game and you have a fleet that consists of expeditionary ships from your allies. These are the 2 I remember without loading the game. Hopefully, other posters will discuss what they found.

The 2 main issues with finding fleets are (1) the surface detection and (2) distance (range) in the individual ship's and brigade/attachments (especially the CAGs). All the CAGs (CV, CVL, CC, and LPH) and spotters (float planes) parameters/stats have been changed in the 1.13 alpha developer release. The team is currently testing these. As for the 1.12 release, I found that adding spotters (float planes) help a bit but having any type of carrier helps a lot. If you're not USA, UK, or Japan, then investing in just light carriers will drastically help in naval detection. Personally when playing another major, I'll build battle 3 task forces early on with 2 BCs, 1 CVL, and 2 screening ships with AA per each capital ship. Then I reinforce them with another BC, CVL, and 2 screening ships per capital ship. By mid to late 1939, I'll have 3 task forces with 2 CVLs, 3 BCs, and 10 screening ships (mostly 1936/38 destroyers). This will not win against a 3 CV task force but can mop up those enemy battle fleets. I've used them to successfully block off the English Channel (if willing to lose 1 o 2 CVL and/or BCs), blockade the entire British Isles, and control the Mediterranean Sea.

All said and done, the 1.13 release is addressing the naval detection and engagement (range) issues.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
If you engage an enemy Navy 1 zone away from its base (EDIT: I meant in a zone with a base), it will scamper away to port before you can cause much damage beyond the first 4 hours. Also, in 1.12, if your air force is engaging an enemy fleet first, your surface fleet is unable to detect or engage the enemy. Big bug. If your fleet hits first, then your air power can also engage successfully.

Last edited:
Ships are very much sinkable in AoD. Here is a long list of casualties we've had in an fierce online game where we started using the 1936 Improved Mod.

The Vanguard Scenario - I believe - is the 1936 scenario, but with much more competitive AI. It should be more efficient and stronger in its research and builds, to put up more of a fight.

Attachments

• Naval losses July 1943.png
    Naval losses July 1943.png
    141,8 KB · Views: 0
  • 1Love
Reactions:
Why don't we use the Vanguard Scenario as the 1936 if it's that much better? The Vanguard still works with the 1.13 alpha builds. I have no love for either, other than using the best.

Reactions:
It is 10 years ago that I did the first and only AAR that I ever finished.

I reinstalled AoD and nice to see it is still getting updates.

Also, I saw there is a new 36 scenario. What is the difference between that one and the old 36 scenario?
welcome back
Vanguard 36 is made to have historical levels of manpower and not units as the old 36 campaign which is made with having the historical number of divisions and not manpower...
fx the historical number of divisions germany had on the eastern front of barbarossa was about 152 but the total manpower germany had was about 2 million (i forgot the right number and i am a bit busy today) which is where the main difference lies so in vanguard there will be roughly 200 divisions and 2 million men there

• 1Like
Reactions: