• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Alright so here are two screenshots.
Basically Germany needs Swedish iron ore to sustain its war effort. Would they loose access to either the so-called iron ore route or would the Baltic froze, Germany industry would be crippled by a steel shortage.
In Darkest Hour we have reflected the strategy that was put in place by the Allies which consisted in invading Norway and securing the iron ore route before the Germans could react. However, the Germans were historically too fast and the Allies had to withdraw from Narvik in order to (try to) defend France.
As German leader, you can take the decision to invade Denmark and Norway whenever you want as long as the Polish front is secured.
However, beware that if you wait too much, the Allies could launch their own invasion and quickly turn Norway into a Commonwealth puppet. That is what happened in this game where the British AI took the Germans by surprise!

For the record, German AI landed an army in Norway after the fall of France and drove the British back home. :)

Attachments

• ScreenSave28.jpg
    ScreenSave28.jpg
    450,2 KB · Views: 4.623
  • ScreenSave14.jpg
    ScreenSave14.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 3.733
Awesome.

But isn't Feb 25th rather early for Plan R4? I like the idea that the player can execute operations whenever he so chooses as long as it makes sense, but for the AI to begin Plan R4 before April 1940 sounds silly to me, especially if the war in the North has proceeded historically to that date.

Also, since you're taking into account the extremely important ore mines of Northern Scandinavia (which of course is a great thing), I hope you've also taken into account the nickel of Petsamo, which to Germany was just as crucial as the metal from Narvik, Kiruna (Kiiruna) and Gällivare (Jällivaara). Quoting my post on the CORE forums: "Finland traded 80% of Petsamo's nickel to Germany, and by 1943 the nickel from Petsamo contributed to 73% of the nickel used by Germany. By the autumn of 1944 that figure had risen to 87%.". In-game that'd translate to a lot of metal and rares.

Is there a option thta Germany also declares war on Sweden, with doing that manually.

If UK invades Norway the International community doesnt like that wich also could prevent USA joining the allies.

Very very interesting screenshot.

IIRC the British policy to "secure" Norway, was not a well supported political decision on an ad-hoc invasion of Norway itself, but instead =
- a blockade of Narvik by naval means (mines and ship blockade),
- "slow prevention" of Norway being taken by German land forces - to secure air and naval coverage not to fall into German hands. This was the stationing of troops at Norway's key positions,

There were indeed Britisch plans (Churchill) to send troops there, but that was under the flag of protection of Communist expansionism. And it was a very difficult political game to play (see all the other priorities at the moment).

Wouldn't it be good to have 3 different stances for the Britisch AI ? =

1) the UK chooses to invade Norway (before Germany) and Germany gets a crippling penalty on iron ore shipments. However, a good chance is there that the Norwegian goverment opposes and chooses the Axis camp. But there should also be a chance that Norway accepts the British invasion and becomes either an alliance member or Commonwealth puppet (protection against Axis / Comminterm agression).
2) the UK remains pro-active and begins to mine the sea routes from Narvik (and other ports) so the Germans get huge penalties on iron ore transportation in wintertime (Swedisch supply route down). This will cause anger with the Norwegian goverment and they have a small chance to join the Axis camp ... again softening the iron ore penalty imposed by UK's decision,
3) the UK is rather reluctant and delays mining and blockading missions (historical) and the Germans have more time to play their cards,

it would be great to see that the decision chances for the Britisch AI could fluctuate as the pressure from other events, conditions is there =

- Axis stance on Norway,
- Comminterm attacks Finland,
- Axis belligerence,
- Axis position in Western Europe (war with low countries, progress in France),

interesting, because the Norway campaign is very much underrated in the vanilla game. The loss of Narvik or Swedisch ore would have had dramatical impact on Germans war effort.

Is there a option thta Germany also declares war on Sweden, with doing that manually.

If UK invades Norway the International community doesnt like that wich also could prevent USA joining the allies.

Exactly.
There is a random event that occurs sometimes where the US Congress extends the Neutrality Acts whenever the Allies undertake offensive actions.
Thus playing as Britain, you got to choose between early aggressive actions and getting the US involved asap.

But let's say UK occupies Norway, why can't Sweden transport it's metal via the Baltic Sea to Germany?

They can!
However swedish metal cannot be transported to Germany when the Baltic Sea is frozen. Which is exactly when the Allies can try to cripple german industry with controlling the iron ore route.
On the other hand, the Red Fleet can also blockade the Baltic Sea when at war with Germany.

On the other hand, the Red Fleet can also blockade the Baltic Sea when at war with Germany.

Not if someone at war with them have Suursaari. Historically the controller of that island could in effect decide who gets through that part of the Gulf of Finland and who doesn't. This is why I've so much stressed the inclusion of this island in the past, but so far the DH team has failed to heed to my call for historical accuracy on this very important case about Baltic naval warfare.

Well Sweden could transport the metal with trains south where the ice is stopping and then continue with ships the transport.
And I guess the German navy could easily defend the convoys from the SU.

And I agree with Fulmen, that island should be more important for the game!

Some bits translated from Wiki:

Regarding the Soviets retaking the island in January 1942: "After the taking of the island the operative situation in the Eastern Gulf of Finland changed to the Soviet Union's advantage. When the ice would melt, its naval units could use Suursaari as a base, which would cause difficulties to Finland's coastal defense and would threaten the closure of the Gulf of Finland executed by Germany and Finland."

In February 1942 the Finns retook the island the second time (first time was in December 1941) and proceeded to retake Tytärsaari as well, which the Russians tried to take back twice.

This btw reminds me of the fact that on the Gulf of Finland during winter the ice was used on several occasions to launch infantry and even armoured attacks in the case of the Russians. Currently there is no way to simulate this accurately. One might argue that land attacks on ice may be too small for DH's scope, but the Russians used forces on divisional level at least in 1940 to attack over the ice of the Bay of Viipuri.

Anyhow continuing:

"The Germans' invasion attempt

After Finland and the Soviet Union signed a truce in the beginning of September, 1944, the German forces had retreated in Estonia to the level of Narva. Finland's withdrawal of the war opened the Soviet Navy a free passage to the Baltic Sea. So that this Soviet Navy movement could be restricted, the Germans decided to invade Suursaari.".

This island is important! Include it!

Coastal batteries and naval mines would be nice too. :)