• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I think it do, in fact, matter. For example half of this thread is not about army automation (Imperator-style, by lack of other options), but about why people hate Victoria 3. Considering that it was clearly stated that Project Caesar will not have Vic3 warfare model, half of this thread is basically waste of everyone's time.
I think that has more to do with a sizable chunk of the audience for this game just hating Vic3 and wanting to talk about that more than the PC and no amount of clarifying language would change that. For example, the person who posted all the screenshots (including HoI4) apparently unaware that HoI4's battleplanner is the the same kind of automation most people in this thread who want automation are asking for.

Reactions:
I think that has more to do with a sizable chunk of the audience for this game just hating Vic3 and wanting to talk about that more than the PC and no amount of clarifying language would change that. For example, the person who posted all the screenshots (including HoI4) apparently unaware that HoI4's battleplanner is the the same kind of automation most people in this thread who want automation are asking for.
Battleplenner does not prevent you from manually controlling each and every division. difference between HoIIV battleplanner and Victoria 3 warfare are tremendous and uncomparable.

• 4Like
Reactions:
I think it will have some degree of automation, like at least Imperator level, but seeing how this game tries to one up all previous pdx games there might be even more such as rules for stack behavior you can set on an individual basis.

Reactions:
Army sizes were quite small during this period especially with the black death so It shouldn't really be an issue
We need to stop talking about "this period" and refering to 1300s or 1400s. The game will cover 500 years so anyone talking about any mechanics with the first 100 or 200 years in mind makes a mistake.

• 4Like
Reactions:
We need to stop talking about "this period" and refering to 1300s or 1400s. The game will cover 500 years so anyone talking about any mechanics with the first 100 or 200 years in mind makes a mistake.
What's funny is that statements like that do not make sense for the early game either. In the first Vijayanagar-Bahmani war, the Vijayanagar kings mustered an army of either 200,000 or a million men (I am understandably partial to the former estimate). Even if you assume that 50% of this army would be made up of administrators and camp followers, that still leaves an extremely large force of a 100,000 fighting men.

Now a large part of this, as I've mentioned elsewhere, is the distance-scales on which this worked. Raising a large army for a more local war (such as in the example) was all well and good, but it was obviously untenable for so many men to be fighting a thousand miles from their homes - as the Delhi Sultanate found, much to their chagrin, in their Deccani foray in the decades prior to game start.

• 2Like
Reactions:
By 200 years you should already be powerful enough to deal with issues, if you're lazy in EU4 you could just make vassal marches to siege everything down

Reactions:
There is not much of a playerbase for Vic3 to start with, and it is increasingly and deservedly becoming smaller and smaller. Those who still play the game aren't even necessarily in favour of their torrid warfare system too, so it's an even smaller subset of players you'd be trying to appeal to.
I'm very sure that your specific gripes with the warfare system are the entire reason that people don't like Victoria 3, and not the numerous terrible and buggy DLC releases or performance issues, of course, but humor me for a second:

We already know that this game is going to have stack-based warfare, which makes sense for the time period. (Except for making small scale guerilla skirmishers completely impossible to represent but hey, it is what it is). What if, hypothetically speaking, the OP of this thread was actually saying that maybe it would be nice if you could not have to micro your armies at all times to get things done? Like how you can automate certain aspects of the economy in Victoria 3, despite the economy being the central facet of the core gameplay loop?

Like, hey, I've played EU4. It'd actually be really nice if, when playing as a horde, I didn't have to manually split up my entire army and then siege down every single province in Mongolia simultaneously if I want to hit 100% warscore. That's the kind of automation that the OP of this thread is pretty obviously describing. They literally say that they'd want it to function like it did in Imperator.

So. Did you read what they were saying, or did you hear the words "Victoria 3" and then slap down a red X and decide to be rude?

Reactions:
1000013630.jpg

• 6Like
Reactions:
I'm very sure that your specific gripes with the warfare system are the entire reason that people don't like Victoria 3
That makes 1 of us then, because I do not, nor do I even think warfare is the biggest problem with that failure of a game.
t'd actually be really nice if, when playing as a horde, I didn't have to manually split up my entire army and then siege down every single province in Mongolia simultaneously if I want to hit 100% warscore
It would be. The fact is we know that provinces in PCaesar will have a provincial capital, just like Imperator, and it has already been confirmed that forts will work somewhat close to Imperator style; so siege every fort+provincial capital to take control over the entire province. That will cut down on the carpet siege issue quite substantially.
Did you read what they were saying
I did, yes. If you maybe want to go and read what I said for the very first time;
"Get out" is said in jest
You will see that my first message was being 100% facetious.
I was thinking more of this meme when I posted "Get out"

Reactions:
You will see that my first message was being 100% facetious.

Unfortunately, you were being rude for more than just your first message. And, for what it's worth, a reminder of what the OP actually said:

I am also aware that the approach of a direct control over units/ armies is prevailing in EU series and we can not count on Victoria/HoI frontlines style thus, solution implemented in Imperator would be perfect compromise. Just please do not force me to give orders to dozens of armies in late game or loop-chase the low morale armies in the map with itsy-bitsy provinces.
This was their argument. They're not arguing that you should have no control over your armies, they're arguing that they want the option to give an order to an army and simply leave them to it. Frankly, that would be massively useful. A lot of wars in EU4 will feature one or two stacks doing actual combat while a single stack focuses on sieging down some random co-beligerent. Having to manually go back and forth between the stack doing battles that actually require my attention and the stack doing literal grunt work is deeply boring.

Ludicrous argument. PDX games have the player as the spirit of the nation (CK3 has you as the spirit of the dynasty) and controlling the military to the extent one does in every game bar the monumental failure that is Vic3 is both well within the remit of spirit of the nation and completely expected.
... But, you seem to be assuming that they're arguing you should have no control over your armies whatsoever. Is it because they said the words "Victoria 3"? Who knows. Either way, it's not what they argued for, and pretending otherwise is pretty strange.

It would be. The fact is we know that provinces in PCaesar will have a provincial capital, just like Imperator, and it has already been confirmed that forts will work somewhat close to Imperator style; so siege every fort+provincial capital to take control over the entire province. That will cut down on the carpet siege issue quite substantially.
This is the system used in Crusader Kings, and no, it does not fix the carpet sieging problem at all. In fact, carpet sieging is more tedious than it is in EU4, and I think the reason people don't notice it is because wars can be ended instantly by capturing the enemy king, which you'll tend to do for larger war goals. I don't think carpet sieging will be as annoying in Project Caesar as it is in CK3, but the truth is that there's never a world in which moving through an enemy's provinces and waiting for a bar to fill is something that I particularly care to do manually.

Last edited:
Reactions:
By 200 years you should already be powerful enough to deal with issues, if you're lazy in EU4 you could just make vassal marches to siege everything down
What are you talking about? I'm talking about game mechanics, and some people are only thinking of them in terms of first 100-200 years. In this particular context, I was referring to your claim that armies in that time period where relatively small, while this thread is about warfare automation in general. So what time period you were referring to?

• 1Haha
Reactions:
  • 4Love
Reactions:
It would be nice if people weren't so angry and dismissive at someone who shows his appreciation for Victoria 3 warfare system, as if the existence of such a person wouldn't even come to their mind and is offensive to their idea that Victoria 3 is a monumental flop and the worst game Paradox ever made. Clearly, nobody should enjoy it, and those who do aren't "true" paradoxians.

I'm not a very huge fan of Victoria 3 warfare system, but it doesn't rub me as wrong as how it seems to be the case for many of you.

That being said, automation of warfare as in Imperator would be a nice start for the war system.

• 1Love
Reactions:
Victoria 3 lost all Victoria II hardcore fans and so far has the lowest playercount of all Paradox games. You are a minority. Go enjoy mobile games and cookie clickers.

Tedious and boring is preferrable to being non-functional.

Victoria 3 is not a grand strategy game - it is a mobile game with a GSG cover

Please, do not infect EUV with bad designs from failed games. Failed games are here for a reason - before Crusader Kings 2 we had Sengoku. Before HoIIV we had HoI3. They exist to figure that some designs and ideas does not work. Victoria 3 is a huge example, teaching us that shitting on old fans results only in a slowly dying game. Or that people who actually play Paradox games prefer moving little toy soldiers. Along with adding things that nobody asked for and ignnoring the community and then backtracking when problem becomes a glaring gamebreaking issue.

I kind of liked many ideas in HOI3. It was hard to actually play though on many levels. I do wish some of the ideas that were in it had survived in HOI4 which I barely touch.

I think this forum needs to come with a warning not to mention Victoria 3 or people will ignore everything else you say. Maybe someone needs to start a new thread suggesting optional army automation but just without those dread words.

• 2Like
Reactions:
If you say so, king. o7
You did come across as incredibly rude and nasty. I've noticed this a lot with your comments, if anyone is too critical of Imperator or posts anything remotely favorable towards Vicky 3 it seems like you get personally offended, turning into a mean, argumentative troll who outright dismisses any opinions that differ from your own. I rarely post on the forums these days, and didn't intend to post here. But I was reading through this thread thinking, "why is he always so rude and mean in his responses" and then saw another person state the same thing I was thinking. You quickly dismissed their comment, which is your prerogative, but I might as well express my agreement, as I wish you would tone it down a bit and calm down. There's no reason to be so rude on these forums. And when joking in text, it helps to express this in some fashion, as otherwise it just comes across as mean spirited. Just my unsolicited two cents...

• 5Haha
  • 1Like
Reactions:
It would be nice if people weren't so angry and dismissive at someone who shows his appreciation for Victoria 3 warfare system, as if the existence of such a person wouldn't even come to their mind and is offensive to their idea that Victoria 3 is a monumental flop and the worst game Paradox ever made. Clearly, nobody should enjoy it, and those who do aren't "true" paradoxians.

I'm not a very huge fan of Victoria 3 warfare system, but it doesn't rub me as wrong as how it seems to be the case for many of you.

That being said, automation of warfare as in Imperator would be a nice start for the war system.
No, we just do not want fundamentally bad Victroia 3 designs and mechanics to soil Europa Universalis V.
Because we want Europa Universalis V to be a successful and fun game and will be sad if it will end up like Victoria 3.

• 7Like
Reactions:
I would expect project Caesar to get similar automation to Imperator, where if I remember correctly, you can hand over stacks for the AI to control.

Yes, it will be similar to that one, but more evolved.

• 35Love
  • 27Like
Reactions:
Yes, it will be similar to that one, but more evolved.
I just hope the military AI will be up to the task. It's all fine and dandy if you can place stacks under AI control, but if it ends up running off to Siberia (extreme, but relevant complaint from EU4's AI behaviour), or be afraid of rebel stacks because you have no general assigned, then it's a wasted feature.

Reactions: