• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Mr_B0narpte

Field Marshal
12 Badges
Mar 15, 2009
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Cities in Motion
  • Darkest Hour
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Rome Gold
  • Victoria 2
  • Rome: Vae Victis
  • 500k Club
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Hearts of Iron IV Sign-up
Hello, I can't be 100% sure, but you probably can never be so with such problems....

But I'm pretty sure that when you use the artillery bombardment mission on a province, and if the mission is either about to begin, or has already begun, and you then issue an attack mission with other units on the same province, the game will crash. The attack mission doesn't even need to have commenced, just have been ordered and you get the crash to desktop.

Upvote 0
Hello, I can't be 100% sure, but you probably can never be so with such problems....

But I'm pretty sure that when you use the artillery bombardment mission on a province, and if the mission is either about to begin, or has already begun, and you then issue an attack mission with other units on the same province, the game will crash. The attack mission doesn't even need to have commenced, just have been ordered and you get the crash to desktop.
Hmmm. I get crashes with Artillery Bombardment, but IDR ordering offensives into the same province. I suspected it was when I over-commanded the bombardments, but I have (occasionally) seen crashes when I was careful to avoid that. Ordering offensives into areas that you are bombarding seems to be risky at best -- or should be. However, one can argue differently here.

I didn't have any over-command penalty when doing mine I don't think, but this was during online play. Artillery bombardments are certainly very unstable.

Reactions:
I didn't have any over-command penalty when doing mine I don't think, but this was during online play. Artillery bombardments are certainly very unstable.
Hmmm. I get crashes with Artillery Bombardment, but IDR ordering offensives into the same province. I suspected it was when I over-commanded the bombardments, but I have (occasionally) seen crashes when I was careful to avoid that. Ordering offensives into areas that you are bombarding seems to be risky at best -- or should be. However, one can argue differently here.
YEP - I believe you nailed it. I recall the game crashing even when I did not Art. Bomb. with over-commanded units. Must have been me failing to call off the artillery before launching ground attacks!

Reactions:
didn't reproduce this bug during my testing.
start the artillery bombardment mission with army A, then attack the same province with Army B

didn't reproduce this bug during my testing.
start the artillery bombardment mission with army A, then attack the same province with Army B
How long were you running the battle for?

a few hours
Certainly it worked for a few hours for me (when playing online) too, but after a few hours it would then crash. Testing over a period of days would give a stronger indication as to whether or not artillery bombarding a province while also attacking it, is stable.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Certainly it worked for a few hours for me (when playing online) too, but after a few hours it would then crash. Testing over a period of days would give a stronger indication as to whether or not artillery bombarding a province while also attacking it, is stable.
understood, will try again once i have time.

I ordered around 100 divisions to artillery bombardment on 1 enemy's province from 2 of my provinces.
The artillery bombardment lasted for around 15 days then suddenly CTD.

To be fair, that's an incredibly long artillery bombardment by so many units, but obviously would be ideal if no CTD was ever possible from using that mission.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Unfortunately, I'm unable to reproduce the CTD under the same conditions, there was just 1 CTD after my 10 tests.
For each test, I ran for many days. The only CTD during these tests occurred just after several days, others were good even ran for many days. Hence I can't know the root cause.

Last edited:
Did you ever start a land battle in the province you were bombarding?

Did you ever start a land battle in the province you were bombarding?
Yes, I have tested that scenario per your instructions in the previous thread. It didn't trigger CTD from my end.

1662200230694.png