• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
My thought process is, why would I buy Millennia when I could buy Humankind, and why would I buy Humankind when I could just buy Civ.
I think Millennia has some good concepts but very fundamental flaws, but this attitude is always baffling to me. "Why would I want two strategy games when I could have only one" is just an absurd question, like why wouldn't you want more devs making games that you would enjoy.

Reactions:
By releasing it now, they have time to improve it and get feedback from the community on what can be changed to make it better.
As was pointed on out in the CS2 discussions, that's what Early Access is for. There is a real risk of poisoning the well by releasing the game while its its missing some very basic features. There is a very big difference between "We finally fixed the game" and "The game is being released."

Reactions:
I can see the argument when it comes to Cities Skylines 2 - it's release had some serious fundamental problems that even continue to today, but Millenia doesn't feel like it's early access to me. Millenia is a little bit lacking in polish, but I don't believe it ever set out to be a shining polished game, it set out to be a mechanically interesting game, and it's done that well. It's continued development wont be about fixing fundamental problems but fine tuning and adding to it.

• 2Like
Reactions:
As was pointed on out in the CS2 discussions, that's what Early Access is for. There is a real risk of poisoning the well by releasing the game while its its missing some very basic features. There is a very big difference between "We finally fixed the game" and "The game is being released."
And as was also pointed out in the CS2 discussion, games like CS2 and Millennia are not what Early Access is for. Neither game was at an early enough point in development to justify an early access release. And financially, again as pointed out during the CS2 discussions, no there really isn't any difference between "we fixed the game" and "the game released in early access is now hitting 1.0". You only get the sales boost of releasing a game to the public once, and it's whenever that game first becomes publicly available. Whether it's an early access release or a "full" release does not matter. So the only reason to do early access, and again what Early Access became a thing for in the first place, is if you can't actually continue development to put the game in a releasable state without mid-development influx of money from sales. Neither CS2 nor Millennia meet that.

Reactions:
TBH, this game is suffering from the CS2 release. I played the demo; Millenia is a decent game. Before the CS2 release, I would have bought it. Now, I will wait to see how it is being supported. I cannot be the only customer behaving this way. I think CS2 has hurt the PDX brand a lot; it reached an unprecedented level of callousness.

I will probably buy it when I see patches that are getting well-received by the community.

Reactions:
I just learned about this game, and I really would like a fresh take on the CIV concept. Still, seeing the negative reception and having seen a number of Paradox releases with questionable quality and a dubious business model, im still on the fence.

Is it true that nuclear tech is locked behind a paywall or have I been duped by ‘fake news’?

Quill18 has been streaming all week and those streams are not sponsored. I played the game a couple of hours today and while still early to really judge, I think it has potential to be my main Civ-like game.

So I hope it's not a write-off.

• 1Like
Reactions:
And as was also pointed out in the CS2 discussion, games like CS2 and Millennia are not what Early Access is for. Neither game was at an early enough point in development to justify an early access release. . . . . So the only reason to do early access, and again what Early Access became a thing for in the first place, is if you can't actually continue development to put the game in a releasable state without mid-development influx of money from sales. Neither CS2 nor Millennia meet that.
Steam might want to clarify that then because this the page describing the program. . .
EarlyAccess.png

Giving and getting (critical) feedback is explicitly listed.

And financially, again as pointed out during the CS2 discussions, no there really isn't any difference between "we fixed the game" and "the game released in early access is now hitting 1.0". You only get the sales boost of releasing a game to the public once, and it's whenever that game first becomes publicly available. Whether it's an early access release or a "full" release does not matter.
From what I've seen, mostly people don't particularly pay attention to Early Access and seem to treat the proper release as the actual release and don't buy it until that point. Like, I find it hard to believe that Manor Lords won't have more sales when it properly releases than when it first went up for Early Access.

• 3Like
Reactions:
I've been playing it all day yesterday and today (I work from home, so I can do a little work then play in short bursts) and so far I'm enjoying it. A lot of it may be the fact that it's the new shiny thing for me, but I didn't feel this compulsion to keep playing with Humankind for example.

Though I find myself thinking, "man I wish it had modding support since someone would have already mad a mod to change this or that", from time to time.

• 4Like
Reactions:
Workshop support is coming later.

• 1Like
Reactions:
I am enjoying the game but it has a LOT of flaws. I made a long post with comments and suggestions. People why say "the game sucks" without knowing how to play are wrong, and people who say "it's amazing" and fanboy are wrong. The first YT review to go up, by (I think) the IGN guy was not wrong in what he said. Can't chop forests in the damn middle ages? Pretty sure they could and did IRL. The game chugged on his system on a huge map... not acceptable for the specs he had.

Right now, it is a flawed game with fun ideas and high potential. Again, I am enjoying it, but I see a lot of issues. In 2 years, with an xpac, patches, mods etc I'm sure it will be great. Stellaris changed HUGELY since release. I think it just gets on peoples nerves that these games always come 1/2 baked. Honestly, only game I can think of thats good out of the box and I don't need to get mods for is like Dark Souls/Elden Ring. Leave it to the Japanese to have Quality Control I guess.

• 2Like
Reactions:
Workshop support is planned to be coming later.

Fixed.

Though the game is already wide open to modding.
If someone were suitably motivated, it wouldn't be much work to grab a universal Unity modding framework / Harmony and create distributable mods for Millennia.
There's really no boundaries to what such mods could achieve.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions:
I am enjoying the game but it has a LOT of flaws. I made a long post with comments and suggestions. People why say "the game sucks" without knowing how to play are wrong, and people who say "it's amazing" and fanboy are wrong. The first YT review to go up, by (I think) the IGN guy was not wrong in what he said. Can't chop forests in the damn middle ages? Pretty sure they could and did IRL. The game chugged on his system on a huge map... not acceptable for the specs he had.

Right now, it is a flawed game with fun ideas and high potential. Again, I am enjoying it, but I see a lot of issues. In 2 years, with an xpac, patches, mods etc I'm sure it will be great. Stellaris changed HUGELY since release. I think it just gets on peoples nerves that these games always come 1/2 baked. Honestly, only game I can think of thats good out of the box and I don't need to get mods for is like Dark Souls/Elden Ring. Leave it to the Japanese to have Quality Control I guess.
Well the IGN review exaggerated the forest removing aspect, they said that you couldn't remove forests until Age 9 (the Age of Information), when in fact you can do it in Age 5. This is still too late IMO, which can make starts in forests very difficult. But the IGN review was just flat out wrong, which shows how little they knew about the game they were supposed to be reviewing (this was just one of their many incorrect statements in the review).

• 2Like
Reactions:
Well the IGN review exaggerated the forest removing aspect, they said that you couldn't remove forests until Age 9 (the Age of Information), when in fact you can do it in Age 5. This is still too late IMO, which can make starts in forests very difficult. But the IGN review was just flat out wrong, which shows how little they knew about the game they were supposed to be reviewing (this was just one of their many incorrect statements in the review).

Reviewers are not god-like creatures who knows everything about game they play. If IGN said it is not possible to cut down trees, this also says something about the game, if certain mechanics maybe hard to figure. Reviewers have to - based on their experience with reviewed product - either recommend the game or not. Reviews are subjective, and that's why someone have the game 5/10, and another one 8/10.

• 7Like
Reactions:
Millenia, Humankind, and Civ are three different games. I play and enjoy all of them.
Agreed. Millennia is (imo) a recognizable twist on Civ. Then there some mutations like AoW4 which are undeniably 4X...but they're not Civ at all. (I like AoW4 partly becaue it's NOT Civ)

I played Civ 6, and it was OK, but it wasn't Civ 5, or Civ 4, or Civ 3, or Alpha Centauri. We shall see what happens.

Also, you can't judge 4X game adequately in 2 hours. Sure, people do it, but, their results don't mean much.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Reviewers are not god-like creatures who knows everything about game they play. If IGN said it is not possible to cut down trees, this also says something about the game, if certain mechanics maybe hard to figure. Reviewers have to - based on their experience with reviewed product - either recommend the game or not. Reviews are subjective, and that's why someone have the game 5/10, and another one 8/10.
If your land is covered in forests, as the IGN reviewer was talking about from their playthrough, then a typical player would try to figure out how to remove those forests. This was not a hidden mechanic, it uses the domain powers just like almost everything else in the game. And clearly they found the later domain power (deforest) that does this, I don't understand how they missed the earlier power that does this same thing (clear cut). These are very basic mechanics. You can criticize the game for having two domain powers that do the same thing; you can criticize the game for not making clear cut available much earlier; but I'm going to question the legitimacy of your review and knowledge of the game if you criticize a strategy title for not holding your hand the entire playthrough. Clear cut is available in the tech tree, how did you miss it unless you never looked at what all the techs grant across multiple playthroughs? It's absolutely ridiculous. It's like me criticizing Civilization 6 because it doesn't have any naval units, when I never bothered to research any of the techs that grant naval units.

• 2Like
Reactions:
If your land is covered in forests, as the IGN reviewer was talking about from their playthrough, then a typical player would try to figure out how to remove those forests. This was not a hidden mechanic, it uses the domain powers just like almost everything else in the game. And clearly they found the later domain power (deforest) that does this, I don't understand how they missed the earlier power that does this same thing (clear cut). These are very basic mechanics. You can criticize the game for having two domain powers that do the same thing; you can criticize the game for not making clear cut available much earlier; but I'm going to question the legitimacy of your review and knowledge of the game if you criticize a strategy title for not holding your hand the entire playthrough. Clear cut is available in the tech tree, how did you miss it unless you never looked at what all the techs grant across multiple playthroughs? It's absolutely ridiculous. It's like me criticizing Civilization 6 because it doesn't have any naval units, when I never bothered to research any of the techs that grant naval units.

A quick skim of the age decks seems to indicate that it's possible to miss the Age 5 clear cut ability if you go through the Crisis age. (Age of Intolerance).
I might be wrong though; can someone else confirm?

Reactions:
A quick skim of the age decks seems to indicate that it's possible to miss the Age 5 clear cut ability if you go through the Crisis age. (Age of Intolerance).
I might be wrong though; can someone else confirm?
Does Age of Intolerance not have clear cut? Not impossible for this to be the case, as some ages don't offer certain buildings and mechanics. However, did the reviewer go through the Age of Intolerance for all their playthroughs? I've yet to even see that crisis age after 120 hours.

Then that says a lot about the UX design of the game being poor, if the reviewer couldn't figure out how to do these things.

• 4Like
Reactions: