• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Indeed, the Bretons were most magnanimous. I feel certain that the threat of Italian intervention had nothing to do with this. Also, while my English army was indeed destroyed, I still had quite a few people fighting in Sweden. But there was clearly no point in going on when the Bretons would finish occupying England in a year or so and then come over and I'd be hopelessly outnumbered on that front as well.

This is weird, In the forum it shows that this thread have been awnsered last by KoM but when I come to the actual thread, I see ulmont's old post still as latest. This same thing happened in the EuIII multiplayer forum at ARW thread where orginally Carrilon's last post was hidden.

And while writing this I now see KoM's post below...Queer...

King of Men said:
Also, while my English army was indeed destroyed, I still had quite a few people fighting in Sweden.
About 15 regiments, arrayed against a German force of rather more than that.

King of Men said:
But there was clearly no point in going on when the Bretons would finish occupying England in a year or so and then come over and I'd be hopelessly outnumbered on that front as well.
Yes.

Gollevainen said:
This is weird, In the forum it shows that this thread have been awnsered last by KoM but when I come to the actual thread, I see ulmont's old post still as latest. This same thing happened in the EuIII multiplayer forum at ARW thread where orginally Carrilon's last post was hidden.
I'm seeing the same thing.

Injure a man slightly and he will exact vengeance upon you. Injure a man badly and he won't be able to hurt you again. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Just to remind people, Georgia is currently neutral in Asia, and is aligned with neither China nor the Eastern Alliance. If this changes, a statement of such will be released by your local Georgian ambassador, and not by the ambassador of any other power.

fasquardon

King of Men said:
Indeed, the Bretons were most magnanimous. I feel certain that the threat of Italian intervention had nothing to do with this. Also, while my English army was indeed destroyed, I still had quite a few people fighting in Sweden. But there was clearly no point in going on when the Bretons would finish occupying England in a year or so and then come over and I'd be hopelessly outnumbered on that front as well.

See I don't know what you are talking about with foreign powers and such, but I clearly see Brittany and Germany stopping well short of what might have been a more devastating victory, especially after your troops were all routed, and not stopping because of non-existent threats from any country.

Brittany, 1426-37

As was their wont, the fickle inhabitants of the British Isles quickly tired of the oppression of their Norwegian overlords, and began to mutter about the good old days when the de Cornouaille Emperors ruled the lands, when justice was fair, and when you could drink yourself into a stupor for a mere copper penny. Inhabitants, it should be noted, did not include the sheep-shagging remnants of Wales, claimed neither by Norway nor Brittany and equally despised by both. No, in Gwynedd self-styled “King” Gruffydd sat nervously on his throne (which may have been a leftover from the former Breton Governor, or possibly looted from the Norselaw in a border raid, but was clearly too fine to be a native product) and waited for the larger powers to have time to notice him again.

So the stage was set in Britain. The torches of resentment in Anglia were piled higher and higher, and needed but a spark to ignite a great conflagration. The spark would come quickly. Some say it was caused by an overzealous Yngling Count who muttered something about rebels and exterminated a village of 17, producing some 68 rebels immediately when the cousins were counted. Some say the spark was caused by a dream that Emperor François de Cornouaille had. Some say that the dream was no dream, but a fit of pique caused by unfaithfulness on the part of Emperor François’ third-favorite mistress.

And some say that it was caused by the desire of the English to be more important to Norway. Norway had begun to look further west, across the Atlantic Ocean beyond Iceland, and to ponder what worlds might be there. And so, those who hold to this explanation say, England was jealous.

Whatever the cause, the result was the same. England erupted in rebellion and, fearing that such a rebellion might spread to their own lands on the British Isles, Brittany sent four Breton Legions to Britain to restore order, Norway having clearly failed to do so. And so order was restored. After order was restored by the Breton Legions, Norway protested the loss of territory to Brittany. And so the Breton Legions continued to restore order to Britain, marching north to Scotland, ferrying over the St. George’s Channel to Ireland, and even sailing up to Iceland where, rumor had it, matters were distressingly unstable. After some further negotiations regarding order, fees for restoring it, and the possibility that the government might collapse and be unable to maintain order even in Norway proper, the Norwegians agreed that those portions of England that had previously been held by Brittany should one again return to Breton rule. Similar discussions regarding Lubeck and Skane were held between Germany and Norway, as Norway’s breakdown of order had been widespread.

In the meantime, matters continue to progress in Europe. The various duchies are busily being consolidated into their overlords’ territory proper. And on the fringes…well, it is difficult to tell. Rumors come back that Italy and Norway have discovered new lands across the Atlantic Ocean, both high and low. Other rumors say that Brittany has also discovered these lands. There are tales that Tamurlane’s empire was dismantled by Georgia, and that Georgia has rampaged across the steppes until it has found an Empire perhaps its match, the Empire of Far Cathay. And Brittany continues to expand her claims in the South beyond Sus, where most Europeans die of strange diseases.

[for an AAR reward, I'll take 100 gold.]

The Birth of St. Jesus the Carpenter

Behold: The birth of st. Jesus the carpenter!
In first months since the fall of Babylon, when Basileus The Twice-born's second mother ruled whole of the Greater Luxembourg then in charge of the Middle east, the oracles spoke ill words.
To the land lord of Assyria, the Captain Stump, the oracle had told that there would born a carpenter so skillful that It would raise the small town of...Strasbourg into prosperous twilight. Such new bourgeois power would be indeed great threat to the Captain Stumps province of Assyria in the Great Luxembourg empire.
So Captain Stump would ask from his oracle: “Oh, tell me, when shall this skillful carpenter be born?” And the oracle said nothing and great concern rose upon Captain Stumps thoughts...his monopoly of skillful carpenters was in peril
“Oh tell me least some words of advice concerning this foreseen craftsman.”
And the oracle held his tongue for six days and eigth nigths, whispering of fate of the famous excavator engineer Thorkilds The Steamer in the mean time.
And after week and one day, the oracle opened her mouth and said: ”A Fish...and not just any fish, but a cross-shaped fish of the holy lake of the Genesaret shall be his stallion when he will rode into fame and mercantile success whit his unimaginable skills of stool and table making.”

And Captain Stump wept in his despair and agony and cursed the trade of carpenters into the third spiral of the Hell.
And in his rage and fury he gave his gloomy command: “Thou shall go to Strasbourg and take all baby boys of under age of two and begun teaching them the trade of book-keeping. That way there shall be no new wonder-carpenters be born from that pitiful little town.”
And Somber were the Days in Assyria when Captain Stump was the land lord under the reign of the second mother of Basileus The Twice-born.

But in Strasbourg, a virile maiden named Mary-Ann was held in prosecute as she had allegedly married herself with a Carp of the Lake Gennesareth. And in the holy fible, it is clearly written that: “No woman shall newer enter a wedlock with a fish that has body that can be unanimously declared as two ended and singular. This command shall not be used whit three or multiple ended fishes, excluding octopuses, as it is well written that the number eigth is the number of satan himself (as said in his phone-number: 888-8-888) and therefore the Council of Nikosia has laid a claim that the race of octopuses migth just well be part of the tele-operator cartel of demonic orgins.”
Fearsome fate gloomed in Mary-Ann's future and it was rumoured that the conviction should be served in the feared castle of Atlanta as a private house-keeper to the loathed tigth-rope walker Anthony Marquee, who the City of Atlanta held in overstated glory and constantly rebelled against the will of the second mother of Basileus the Twice-born who was the empress of the Great Luxembourg Empire.
But Mary-Ann did not tremble in the front of the Holy Tribunal. She held her head up and openly used pregnancy overalls stating that she carried that Carp's son in her womb.
“Blasphemy! She carries the son of satan himself in her womb!” Heard the cries in the audience. The tribunals hammered their tables and old women cried. The roof-tiles begun to show sings of corrosion and the moon laid purple shadow over the Lake of Gennersareth.
“Run, its the end of the world!” Shouted some, But the carriages of the jusctice kept rolling on.
“Have you participated in sinfull deeds whit the Carp fish of the Lake?” Asked the judge.
“No!” Cried the Mary-Ann, but her confidence begun to shatter...where not the evidences poorly masked? Was she not held a pre-baby shower for his neighborhood's other yougn house wives...whit Carp decorations?
“Liar!” Shouted the judges and the jury in same voice. The audience greeted it with cacophonous rumble and women begun to faint in excitement. Mary-Ann laid her haid and felt her fortunes running out.
But then the hollow destiny took his dices and threw the number three: The number of Fox and real-estate agents! And Behold: three times did the lighting strike! Three times did the cats scream in the streets of Strasbourg, and three tears did fall from the stony eyes of the statue of Dorris Day, held in honor place in the judge-hall of Strasbourg.
And three times did scream poor little Mary-Ann and her labor was to begun.
“Silence, silence silence!” Shouted the judges and the disorientation and chaos reigned in the courtroom.
And whit stream of salt-water did Mary-Ann deliver her firstborn son, black as ink and whit tail that would make lot of species of fishes jealous.
“A Carp! A Carp...she delivered a carp!”
“No, a water-daemon, a mermaid-cross dresser!”
And whit the voice of deep pseudo-scottish accent, the new-born baby Carp said: “Enter the Carp”
“Enter the...what?” Judges demanded in confusion and looked heavily down to Mary-Ann who held her precious child in her arms.
“Er...Carp...Enter the...NO! Carpenter! My son is a Carpenter, not a fry nor with any other fishery tendencies” Declared Mary Ann, and in the face of no other evidence, the Judges let her go free.

But if Mary Ann and her young son thougth they had get away of such horrid act of cross-breeding and adultery, they were wrong! Alas, was there not the will of Captain Stump still to be fullfilled?
And on the third day after the Declaration that January would be replaced in the almanac by a new, fourteen day month called: Saturnary, during of which all men should paint the number of Saturn, the mythic number Gwall (which lies between six and seven) in three (voluntarily selected) foreing languages...In third day after such mysterious declaration, the Carpenter son of Mary-Ann (called David by his loved ones) was caught with pocket knife trying to carve a lampshade for one of his playmates.
And the Soldiers of Captain Stump took the frightened boy into the Castle of Captain Stump and there he was declared by the oracle as best candidate so far as to be the Super-carpenter of Strasbourg (with 80 percent precision)
So was he given new name Jesus-Anthony of Stockholm...or shorter just Jesus and he begun his studies for book keeping.
His mother did wept, but at the same time was she not happy? Her son had entered into a proper education under the watch-full eye of Captain Stump, the Land lord of Assyria and to her and to her son, a mirthfulness future shined ahead. As it was known, the trade of book-keeping had lot more expectations of earthly wealth than the suspected trade of Artisans.

******​

And on sixth day of June in 1432, the People of Surgut rose into rebellion and drive off their white-bearded Chudian missionary...

For reward, 1 Colonist

Egypt! Glorious Egypt!​
(OOC just a small intro, I am not inspired today you know ;) )
Once it was the land of the pharaohs with their vast and shining glory, now it once again shines after centuries of decay, the virtuous De Hautevilles lead it with their wise, just, merciful rule, they are the emperors of this holy land and they swear to bring it to victory
Egypt is a melting pot that takes the best from its cultures and expels the worst, it contains many aspects from the powerful Norman imperial nobility, the clever italian colonists and merchants and the old and wise arab population

As for the faith, all are united under the holy catholic church, centuries of crusader domination broke the will of the muslims a long time ago, and now they live only in scattered and reclusive communities, making far less than 1% of the population, strangely enough the catholic practices of Egypt seem to be far diferent from any other, some would even say heretical...
The Emperor is all powerful and control of absolutely everything lies in his hands, his abilities are god-like, and as such he also controls the church and is always considered to be a living Saint, he surrounds himself with a progressive and modern burgeoisie and high posts are always occupied by the richest merchants, a system similar to that of ancient Venice but with the exception that the emperor is the one who really has the power

Last edited by a moderator:
BEAR DANCER

“And what did you say your trade were?”
“A bear-dancer.”
“A Bear dancer? What...mm, what sort of dance is it?”
“?”
“Bear-dance...”
“Well, Sort of like...well haven't you seen one? We are really common entertainers in various village festives and markets.”
“Can't say that I have...hmm...”
“Well just imagine a bear to shake her...mm...moneymaker.”
“mm...”
“Well...?”
“I just did...”
“Oh.”
“...And I wasn't impressed.”
“Oh, well guess you would have to see one live then I suppose.”
“Yeah.”
“So...is it a good job? Do people come to watch you dancing like a she bear trying to lure a grumpy male to sinfull extra-marital activities?”
“Aaa...”
“Was that yeas or no?”
“Mmm....we don't actually dance ourselves that way, if that what you are thinking.”
“You don't? Didn't you just said...”
“The bear dances that way!”
“The bear?”
“Yeas. We are known as the trade of dancing bears in various public catherings.”
“Ahh...Now I reckon. Well of course I have seen those dancing bears...Quite entertaining I must say.”
“Well thank you.”

“So is it a good trade?”
“...”
“Well..?”
“Depends on the day I guess...some nigths you have to go trying to steal the leftovers from fishmongers and figth for them with your bear...some nigths the kids love to tease the poor old lady so that their rich parents keeps pouring coins like alms in Sunday morning.”
“Yeah...”
“So I would say it as good trade as any in these days...”
“Yeah...”
“...”
“What?”
“Well...aren't you the Tsars official in-the-house-web-weaver?
“Well yeas...but how does that has anything to do with this?”
“Nothing! I just expressed my rightful frustration to the state of affairs thats all..”
“And like it would have been my fault?!?”
“No need to get excited...but wouldn't you supposed to share the responsibility of our Tsar's conductions as any loyal, blind subject?”
“Pah! Our Tsar is some Georgian electorate”
“Indeed! What harm have we done to god to get such cruel punishment upon our poor lives!”
“You know, your tone starts reaching the point where I migth find it rebelious...”
“Rebels! Or for heaven's sake, did you know what they did to Poor Dimitri Dimitrovits in Sarkel?”
“No...”
“They took the bit from his bear and placed it on the poor Dimitri's mouth...and then they gave the leach to the bear and made Dima dance...oh dear...! And what did that Bear did do to Poor Dimtri, oh dear...”
“How unpleasent. Did it eat him?”
“Well If he just would have! But no, didn't the Bear took him by the leach brougth him to the 'Miškadom' where we tend to buy and sell our dancers...And if that wouldn't have been enough humiliation, Then the Bear sold him to vicious Mr. Grojatejev from Kiev! I spat on the name of those evil Ukrainians [spat!]”
“Oh my...How much did he get from him?”
“What?”
“The Bear...how much did he get from poor Dimitri...?”
“...”
“Well?”
“Six kopeks.”
“Oh...was that good bargain or not?”
“Hmm...it depends...for a bear I would say that the Ukrainian pissed on his face but for poor... HEY! For virgin Mary sake, bear shouldn't be allowed to sell and buy christian man like that without consequences!”
“There where no Consequences?”
“For what! The Rebel outlaws selected the Bear as governor of Sarkel...And they say that he become vicious dictator who serfed the people and confiscated all the salmons and honey from the markets to his personal use...and that smell...”
“Hmm...Well that makes some sense...”
“What? To me it doesen't make any sense att all! Bears shouldn't be allowed to rule christian man!”
“No...but the ransom demands when the siege of Sarkel was ending...”
“What ransom?”
“An unsigned note that wanted three viril young male bears to be sended in to the castle.”
“Male?”
“Yeas...”
“But that bear is male himself? Why...OH My Dear god, What more? Was that bear even a sodomite? What more...oh for good god, save us from these evil times...”
“Well...wasen't he a dancer?”
“What?”
“The Bear...I have heard suspicious things about men who dance...”
“What? Are you hinting something whit that...”
“Nothing...just a thougth.”
“There are perfectly good, female-orientated dancers among our bears...how would the skill pass unto next generations if all of our male dancers would chase each others?”
“Its inherited?”
“Yeas...attleast among bears...”
“Oh, I didn't know that...”

For reward: Gold, Gold, Gold....

January 16th, 1442
Bergen, Norway

"We've had to triage, Henrik. No way around it."

The younger Yngling snorted.

"After 400 years of meeting the enemy? I'm surprised there's enough left of the plan to discard."

"A point, yes. Especially considering that the screwups began right at the start, and with <a href="http://ynglingasaga.wordpress.com/2008/08/28/there-will-be-war-anja-sigridsdottir/">one of our own,</a> at that."

"Nu, if we have any skill other than war, it's triage. Just by coming here we've discarded a whole millennium of history. So what do you have in mind?"

"The privileges of the Yngling caste, essentially. It's the one thing people here have picked up on of our politics, and they reject it to a man. Even the Ynglings! It might just be possible to create a caste society if the nobles supported it, but they don't. You can't give a man privileges he doesn't want."

"So - you're going to turn Norway into a corrupt democracy? Actual legal equality?"

Einar shrugged defensively at the outrage in Henrik's voice.

"What can we do? We've already lost that battle. They allow anyone to speak at Ting, and they listen to them, too. If anything they bend over backwards to make sure it's not the rich people who get the final say. We taught them that trick, and they're looking for it now."

"There are other ways of subverting the voice of the people."

"Yes, but they tend to rely on the cooperation of the upper class. There are a lot of people here with the surname 'Yngling', but they aren't the real thing. I saw one the other day - do you realise that there are people here who call themselves 'Ynglings' who are actually fat?"

"Seriously?"

"The guy must have weighed a hundred kilos! Not muscle, either."

"So why didn't you challenge him?"

"It's illegal to duel, remember?"

"Oh."

They sat silently for a while, contemplating the decay of the Yngling race. At length Henrik asked, "So what are you planning to do, then?"

"Two things. One is external politics. We still intend to rule the world. But - there's no urgency on the point. Democracy or not, this country is still a Great Power, with all the imperatives that come with that. Our ruling classes will seek to extend their power, and run an imperialistic foreign policy, quite without input from us. Which is just as well, really, since they don't listen to us."

"Ok, and the other?"

"We can't be having with fat people who can barely lift a sword walking around and telling people they are Ynglings. It's embarrassing. Ok, everybody has some relatives they don't walk to talk about, but there are limits!"

"Agreed, but what are we going to do? Duelling's illegal, as you noted. And we're a bit outnumbered, anyway."

"We're going to have to be subtle. The locals haven't caught on to eugenics yet; we can slip that past them if we're careful."

Henrik cocked his head, considering. "You're talking about several generations, at least. It's hard to maintain a goal over that length of time. Human minds aren't set up to work on that timescale, they evolved to get the banana before the alpha male notices. We're not long-term thinkers."

"True; but we've got an advantage there: Every twenty-five years one of our comrades arrives, with uptime training in genetics and a general areement with our goals. We all had the same education. We don't have to rely on a bureaucracy to keep our organisation pointed in the same direction a hundred years from now, we've got friends to do it for us."

"That might work. But - even on a scale of several generations, you need death-rate differentials of, say, five or ten percent to accomplish anything. We can't very well go around killing five or ten percent of each successive generation. They don't have computers here, but I think they'd notice."

"Ah, but you're forgetting that this isn't the uptime. No sewers, no soap, no germ theory. We don't have to artificially create ten-percent death rates. All we have to do is selectively slow down the fifty-percent infant mortality they get anyway."

"We only have so much of the pink..."

"Yes, yes. But antibiotics aren't magic, you know. Knowing it can be done is half the battle; we can figure out how to make the simpler kinds, given a couple of years. The bugs here haven't evolved over 200 years of chemical warfare, they won't sneer at penicillin like the uptime ones. All we need to do is set things up so that only the ones with good genes get proper treatment, their infant mortality drops to maybe 25%, and Nietzsche(*) is your uncle."

Henrik nodded, slowly. "Ok - it sounds workable, maybe, as far as genetics go. There's still the problem of nature and nurture. You can give people good genes, but you can't make 'em exercise. And another thing, how are we going to implement this over the whole Empire? There's only two of us."

"Well, we're going to have to recruit some allies. Which will help with both those problems. That's where the bioweapon release is actually going to be helpful to us, for a change. The damn thing worked exactly as advertised: Mass deaths, mass panic, total disruption of the social order. Including any number of nutso doomsday cults springing up, promising to save the faithful from the Plague. Now most of those are variants on Christianity, and not very useful to us - you can twist words, but really, it is a pretty pacifistic, egalitarian sort of religion when you get down to it, and sooner or later someone will. The point is, though, the main Church is a bit distracted at the moment, nobody will pay any attention to another weird cult. And out in the backwoods, the old gods are still hanging on. It's not a formal religion, by any means; no unified theology - it amounts to a whole bunch of people going to church on Sundays, and spilling some beer on their Thor-statue the rest of the week, and maybe telling stories about the Wild Hunt when a thunderstorm goes by. But it's something to build on. Norway has a lot of backwoods. We'll set up a temple somewhere, announce that Thor or maybe Frey will heal the worthy, and only the worthy, and put in some appropriate mumbo-jumbo about how people can prove their worthiness. And our cures will really work! We can work out some formalised doctrines and lithurgies and whatnot, people like their rituals. We'll even make some money off it!"

"And the 'worthiness' shtick will involve exercise, not drinking too much, deadly with a blade - in short, being the sort of man we'd like to call an Yngling and a brother."

"Yep. We can even improve on the original a bit by putting in a brainpower clause. I mean, let's be honest. You and I both knew some people uptime who were the bees' sting as far as duels go, but not by any means the biggest fusion-bombs in the arsenal."

"My brother, for one. There's a guy who should have been culled at birth, if only we'd been breeding for non-assholery."

"Then here's to religion as a means of moral improvement; and Loki take the weakest link."

(*) Obviously Einar is not referring to 'our' Nietzsche, but the Yngling-Prime timeline equivalent; I translate so you'll know what he's talking about. He's not talking OTL English, either, but uptime Yngling-Prime Norse, which is much more Germanic than the OTL version due to the long imperial involvement in Germany. Also note that his Nietzsche is required reading in uptime Norway, his recommendations being official State policy.

Reward: 1000 pop in Eiriksfjord.

Brittany, 1448. A harbinger of things to come.

The year is 1448. For over 400 years, Brittany has been ruled by the de Cornouaille dynasty. While several of the Great Powers of Europe have seen their rule shift from family to family as the Wheel of Fortune has turned, the de Cornouailles have kept a stranglehold on the reins of Breton Power.

It has not all been easy for the de Cornouailles, though. The direct line has failed several times. In one memorable generation, two of the heirs died of sickness before their fifth birthday, two of the heirs were killed in battle before their twentieth birthday, and the fifth killed himself over a woman. In these times, the de Cornouailles have reached out to their cadet branches.

The de Cornouailles have a number of cadet branches across Europe. In Ireland, in the Norselaw of England, in Germany, and even into the Georgian Levant, de Cornouailles have managed to carve out lands for themselves. Not all of them would easily be accepted onto the Breton Throne, of course. The Irish and Georgian de Cornouailles would surely spark a revolution if they attempted to rise to Emperor (and, in truth, these particular branches certainly do not play up their connection to the Breton rulers in their homelands). They are not needed in any event; Hispania and Gaul provide more than enough seasoned de Cornouailles when needed, and more are being seeded across Africa every day.

But a conflict is coming. While the de Cornouailles have ruled for centuries, those de Cornouailles have always been male. Rather than be ruled by an Empress, a Queen, or a Duchess, Brittany has reached to de Cornouaille men from further afield. It seems those days may be about to come to an end.

Duchess Anne de Cornouaille rules over the Duchy of Valencia, one of the most prestigious Duchies in Brittany. Duchess Anne is Emperor Francois’ brother, and grew up with him. Anne wants to see an Empress on the throne of Brittany. Emperor Francois has two daughters and no sons. And Emperor Francois is growing old. Duchess Anne is making plans, lining up alliances, recruiting mercenaries, and bribing legates.

This may not be the time for an Empress to rule. Emperor Francois may decide that Duchess Anne needs to make an extended trip to the Congo. Or it may be that now is the time, in the brief interlude of peace after the recent Georgian War, that Brittany might transition towards direct primogeniture rather than the theoretical meritocracy of the males that it has claimed to practice for so long.

And should an Empress rule, what changes will occur in Brittany? Of Francois’ daughters, Claudine is known to be kind, gentle and Christian, while Anne is rumored to torture small animals. Claudine might put a stop to certain of the Breton colonization methods in Africa. Anne might look to expand the slave trade immensely. Or either of them might be sufficiently isolated by their advisors as to be incapable of making real changes. No one can say.

The Wheel Turns.

[colonist reward]

ulmont said:
Duchess Anne de Cornouaille rules over the Duchy of Valencia, one of the most prestigious Duchies in Brittany. Duchess Anne is Emperor Francois’ brother, and grew up with him.

Now that's a real queen.

Quite interesting social evolution there. So the Ynglings are no longer slaves of the state ?

It seems to me the societies in this time line are going to shift from one another much more than in our timeline. Each empire is after all strong enough to become very inward-looking (socially, not geographically) like so many Chinas. By the time we reached 20th century there may be considerable rifts.

Kuipy said:
Quite interesting social evolution there. So the Ynglings are no longer slaves of the state ?

Well, technically they are. But you can't expect them to pay any attention to that. It's just too foreign to their mind-set; they expect, on a bone-deep level, that they can do whatever they like, and since they're too useful to kill or seriously punish, it's a bit of a self-fulfilling prophecy. Admittedly they may run into a little bit of trouble in just absenting themselves from Bergen for long periods, but as they note, downtime Norway has a lot of backwoods and a notable lack of computers. It's a good place to hide.

King of Men said:
Admittedly they may run into a little bit of trouble in just absenting themselves from Bergen for long periods...

See, I'm surprised they have freedom to travel, that's one of the classic things that's deprived to slaves.

fasquardon

Well, Einar is outlining to Henrik what he plans to do. It remains to be seen what happens after the plan makes contact with his friends. That said, it's been almost a hundred years since the original sanctions against the Dovremenn. Memory is short, and the years are long; the leash has perhaps loosened a bit. I'll think about it.

King of Men said:
Well, Einar is outlining to Henrik what he plans to do. It remains to be seen what happens after the plan makes contact with his friends. That said, it's been almost a hundred years since the original sanctions against the Dovremenn. Memory is short, and the years are long; the leash has perhaps loosened a bit. I'll think about it.

I look forward to reading what you come up with.

Incidentally, do you take requests? I'd be quite interested in reading a list of all the Dovremen that have come back so far, with a short description of what each agent did/was like (at least for the ones who did anything notable), like the king-list I made for my AAR in CK.

fasquardon