• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
L'Affaire Georgia.

In the middle years of the fifteenth century, a great hue and cry arose in Europe about the great size, wealth, and power of the realm of Georgia. This hue and cry was by no means new. In fact, raising such a hue and cry about the realms of Brittany, Italy, Georgia, or (in the distant past, before their decline) Novgorod was practically a household game practiced by the heads of the Roman Commonwealth.

Like all such practices, things were all fun and games until someone lost an eye. Brittany had, at the least, been temporarily blinded around the turn of the century. Before that, Chromatic Letters and Diplomatic Events ensured that someone fell on a metaphorical stick every few decades. Now, it was Georgia’s turn.

The particular stick here (ironically, for reasons that will become clear) was the island of Taiwan, ceded from Far Cathay to Georgia for…something. None of the West was quite sure what. Nor, for that matter, were they quite sure about the locations of Taiwan, or Far Cathay for that matter. The rumor that the Georgian ambassador sold his daughter to become a concubine of the Chinese ambassador is almost certainly false. We are less certain that the parallel rumor about the Georgian ambassador’s son is false, but we think so.

In any event, the knowledge that there was land to be conquered that was being granted to Georgia, and not to anyone else in the West, managed to distract the various sovereigns from their usual backstabbing for a moment or two. Long enough to plan a campaign. Taiwan would be ceded to (well, anyone, so long as the one was neither Georgian, Chinese, or Western), Georgia would give over the monopolization of the Holy Land, the Timurid lands would be recreated, and perhaps the Crimea would be ceded to Prussia. Byzantium and Egypt were initially designated the recipients of the Levantine territory, as neighbors small enough not to be a threat, but Byzantium was removed after they refused to participate.

Who was the leader of the Western Alliance? Some say the Norwegians were the driving force. It is true that Ynglings are born to deception, and then refine it through training (and stabbing each other in the back). But how could the Norwegians have convinced the Germans or the Bretons to join in their madcap endeavour? Others say the Italians were the driving force. Certainly the final negotiations were handled by Italy. But slowly. Slowly enough for the Italians to have been relaying proposals from a higher master. Some say it was Prussia, weakening Russian allies. No one ever suggests Germany, Egypt, or Brittany, for different reasons. Occasionally someone suggests India, usually when extremely drunk. The Indian suggestion usually meets with the ridicule it deserves.

Whoever the leader was, the troops arrived in reasonable force, drove back the Georgian forces, and occupied large chunks of the Levant. Treacherous Novgorod reneged on prior commitments to stay neutral, and instead waged war both North and South. The Novgorod entry in the war, although initially worrisome, proved a false hope for Georgia; Novgorod quickly fell to internal rebels and could not aid Georgia. But time had marched on, and the Western Allies began to be weary of war. So they offered peace for merely the coastline of the Levant and the Red Sea. And so there was peace.

But the Western Allies forgot, in their haste, about the Taiwanese stick that had started the entire process. And so there are rumours of war.

I'm going to guess that Brittany and Egypt traded.
-Egypt goes to Brittany
-France goes to Egypt

This would explain the sudden appearance of a state in OTL France and the sudden disappearance of that adorable north African power. How you managed to keep Georgia from going nuts is beyond me. Maybe he's now glad that Brittany is on his border and he no longer needs to risk shipping his soldiers across the Mediterranean to fight.

Other interesting developments seem to include the disappearance of the last mongol nation in central Asia (Except Georgia).

The return of Manchuria to China. Must not use quote.

Indonesia got kicked out of East Africa. Through peaceful or militaristic means remains unknown.

The gift Novgorod got from some Asian pagan nation, in the form of a province, seems to have been returned. Accompanying this is a province that was Chinese and is now Novgorodian. Perhaps the Asian pagan nation decided that they did not want the gems of latin heritage brought into their darkness. Perhaps they realized that the superior European heritage was not all it was cracked up to be, and wanted a refund on their protection and goodwill.

Indonesia is in southern china. Odd. But not very.

Italy seems to be colonizing the north coast of South America as well as, Newfoundland. I'm sure Norway is, displeased, at this sudden turn of events.

Which brings us to our next point. The disappearance of the 'red savage'. Probably caused by their abandonment by their dear leader.

And finally, Brittany has joined the ranks of new world powers. Just south of Italian Brazil.

Brittany has made a brilliant diplomatic stroke: It has added Egypt to its alliance bloc, without losing France. I feel convinced that Conq will remain closely in orbit around the Domination of the Bretons. At least for the next century or so. For the longer term - well, we shall see. At this time I do not call for anyone's destruction in particular, other than the generic, low-level "Everything that is not Norway must be destroyed".

Italy was AI this session, hence Newfoundland. My irritation is at a low level. My irritation with the attempted Breton/Prussian kill-stealing is rather higher; note the single grey province in the middle of the blue. Fortunately ulmont seems to have misjudged slightly; if he had come in a year before, just after I finished killing off the Creek armies, I might not have been able to put sieges everywhere before he could get there. (After I realised what he was doing, that is; hence Cherokee.)

King of Men said:
Fortunately ulmont seems to have misjudged slightly; if he had come in a year before, just after I finished killing off the Creek armies, I might not have been able to put sieges everywhere before he could get there.
I had all my troops off the coast of Phid [nee Muskogee] before the Norwegian DoW. Unfortunately Francois died and was replaced with a Regency Council at what was, if not necessarily the worst possible moment, a reasonable facsimile thereof.

Oh, so that's what happened! I saw your troops off the coast and thought I was too late, but then when I got there, nothing. Norway denies all knowledge of the death of Francois, which was clearly from completely natural causes.

...and the RNG watches over fools, drunkards, and the Norwegian Republic. Possibly helped along just a little by uptime assassination techniques, although we completely deny any such actions. We are very sad that Francois died at such a difficult time for the Domination of the Bretons. We send rich gifts to his funeral, and do not intrigue in dark corners with any male de Cornouailles disgruntled at the succession.

Seems like Brittany is abandoning Europe for Africa, will we have an African Union around 1936? ;) (would be hell to explain via AARs though)

I like the size of India, go von_Bock! :D

The Story of Novgorodian far east posession story is something like this:

First Ming China colonised a province that accordingly one of our secret agreement of spehere of intrests belonged to Novgorod.
After we raised the issue, Ming returned the province To Novgorod.
During the Injust, evil and overally demonic assault of the corrupted west into our beloved southern Brothers in Georgia, We as our duty demanded went to help and suffered some domestical insurgion difficoulties. During that uprising of pagan and false-beliving Trans-Ural subjects that province detected to Ming China.
Only after the rebel proplems were solved and Novogorod reinstalled its former power in the Oriental region, the talks about retruning it begun, and are still on the table.
Novgorod will inform others after those talks are done. In meantime Novgorod purchased one province from Ming to help Ming in their chronic cashdefict.

Manchuria wasn't returned because China never owned it. :eek:

The_Carbonater said:
Manchuria wasn't returned because China never owned it. :eek:

Manchuria was given to China because China and Empire of The Rising Sun made a deal.

Emperor Ike said:
Manchuria was given to China because China and Empire of The Rising Sun made a deal.
dont make deal with sid

Why not?

Indonesia and I have an agreement, he kills my vassals and gives me lands, in return i help get him lands elsewhere.

We Asians have to stick together in order to prevent european infuelences.

Thlawrence said:
I'm going to guess that Brittany and Egypt traded.
-Egypt goes to Brittany
-France goes to Egypt

This would explain the sudden appearance of a state in OTL France and the sudden disappearance of that adorable north African power. How you managed to keep Georgia from going nuts is beyond me. Maybe he's now glad that Brittany is on his border and he no longer needs to risk shipping his soldiers across the Mediterranean to fight.

Other interesting developments seem to include the disappearance of the last mongol nation in central Asia (Except Georgia).

The return of Manchuria to China. Must not use quote.

Indonesia got kicked out of East Africa. Through peaceful or militaristic means remains unknown.

The gift Novgorod got from some Asian pagan nation, in the form of a province, seems to have been returned. Accompanying this is a province that was Chinese and is now Novgorodian. Perhaps the Asian pagan nation decided that they did not want the gems of latin heritage brought into their darkness. Perhaps they realized that the superior European heritage was not all it was cracked up to be, and wanted a refund on their protection and goodwill.

Indonesia is in southern china. Odd. But not very.

Italy seems to be colonizing the north coast of South America as well as, Newfoundland. I'm sure Norway is, displeased, at this sudden turn of events.

Which brings us to our next point. The disappearance of the 'red savage'. Probably caused by their abandonment by their dear leader.

And finally, Brittany has joined the ranks of new world powers. Just south of Italian Brazil.

Ohh I am so glad you thought my nation as adorable! :p
But it seems the session I lost made have a severe disavantage in the race for Africa, so the region was beggining to become unviable in long-term
Now I have traded Egypt(and everything else) for not only France but England too
Yay for me and wish me good luck in crushing the "a little" too early Napoleonic Rebels :D

Midcentury achievement rewiev (on the next or even third train after the rigth time went by)(...and yeas, my first effort of actually write an AAR in its universally aknowlidged form)

River Ob spread its waters on the plain lands of Yurga...it had done so since...since ever, if you asked about any native you randomly came cross in these barren lands. From last ice age actually, but none was there to tell about it any more. (Gollevainen was, actually...but he had spent those days somewhere else...) The boggy woodland gave little appeal to ones eyes if he seek for infinities to gaze.

One usually did if he had any reason to come to these parts of the realm... Just take a moment away from the safety of the road and look over the taiga and to be amazed of its size...No one knew where it would end...but everyone seemed to be certain that where ever that was, there lied the boundary for Gollevainen's ambitions...Some said that he was crazy when leading so huge portion of the realm's resources to this vast campaign of taming the wilderness, but when the achievements reached the cramped streets of Novgorod or Moscow, none could really denounce the success of it. It was not even the end of this first century of new age when the realm's eastern border had begun its escape and ran over 3,000 kilometers away from the Urals...

It had brought measureless acres of woodland and marshes, thousands of angry Muslim false-believers and rebellious Tatars, those hated descendent's of Kzyl-Orda...cold and frost...but who could not deny that Novgorod was the largest reaching realm of modern world? Who could deny the glory of such conquers?

Yurga region had become the window of display of the new Novgorodian Renaissance. It was still in human distance away from the Moscow and offered all what these trans-ural lands could possibly offer...green, furs and Tatars...

Oh yeas those Tatars. Every god loving Slavic spat on the ground over just mentioning their name at the heartlands. They had had their moment...in aftermaths of the Great distrust in the realm, when the ill-fated Georgian War spread dissent to the countryside, it was those offsprings of the Mongol horsemen that scorched the east and in their peak, the Sibir nation emerged from the fomented provinces...together with wars of alliances that lead Georgia to war against muslims of the great sandy lands, the Asia's sick man, the Kazak become hostile to the Novgorodian throne..

...Well like it was said, they had their moment. Novgorod had its own, and Sibir and Kazakhs are no more...

Some people even say that the road has been curved too deep into the woods...and too far away, too fast. They say that Novgorod is gradually becoming an Asian nation, a realm of oriental tendencies and therefore as bypassable as any other oriental nation has traditionally been in the eyes of the conceited west...The west that has unbelievable capability to disguise their alignments of expansions over some vague veil of fear of too powerful eastern nations. Novgorod had become powerful...It could claim to be the leading hegemony in the middle-Asia... Was there need for fear?

Would the rumblings of “oh so fearsome and big Novgorod” be heard in the streets of Oslo or Barcelona? Just like the words of huge and demonic Georgia just few decades ago?

...One traveling on riverside along the Yugra land could not close his eyes of the thousands of smoke pilars rising across the plains...Regiment after regiment dried their clothings and colors after rainy days passing over. They were seasoned, long-bearded men who had seen more Tatar blood than wine from some sappy French vineyard. Novgorod had stand on its feet for centuries and no once since the creation of the Novgorod empire upon the ashes of the Russia had western troops invaded single city from the land...And it was not due lack of ambition or effort...

So no, Gollevainen, nor anyone else in charge of the matters had any need for fear...

For reward, prestige...