• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It's back! :)

But will it be a happy ending? :eek:

It is! :D

Has there ever been a happy ending to a war?.. :S

A Unilateral Declaration of War is still technically possible from you, right? You can, mechanically, drag the whole of the Allies into war with the Soviets at any time.

Also, that is an absolutely ludicrously huge Japanese frontline and area of occupation. In real life they would need ten million men for that.

Actually, Lithuania was at war all this time, just tried not get near them :) So I could drag the Allies into war anytime I want, but as I am trying to keep it as realistic as possible, it would need to look at least a bit plausible.

While I have not checked the Siberian front that much, what I noticed that both sides have 1 division per 1-2 provinces and the front has stalled at this line for the past several years. Any moves take a month or so, and are easily checked by the other side. I am guessing they have supply issues as well. So realistically, controlling main roads/railroads if there are any would suffice.

What concerns other parts of Japanese world, indeed, their marines seem to be everywhere - 5-6 divisions in Australia at least, for example, or acting as backbone for lower tech troops in India.

Has there ever been a happy ending to a war?.. :S
Well, peace is the end of war and that's usually pretty happy for most involved, isn't it? ;)

But that's not what I meant. I want to see a free Lithuania rise again! But having the happy ending as a possibility and not as a sure thing or impossible makes this AAR only more interesting so I'm not really complaining.

Reactions:
That Eastern Asia. I think Lithuania is going to go sailing.

*Poke* How is it going? Just curious. I want to see the conclusion of great and dramatic AAR.

Thank you, MrWillis :) Next update is in the works, but still thinking which way to turn it. Should be done this year still to celebrate my 3 year anniversary since the beginning:D

That Eastern Asia. I think Lithuania is going to go sailing.

Hm..... you just MIGHT be onto something :D not really decided yet, still only a month or two ahead in the game.

Hey quick question how did you become a government in exile, is it just getting access from another country and vacating your army?

I think you would need to be a part of any of the three main alliances before your country is occupied, but ONLY if the war has been declared on you. If you have done this - your game will end once your country is occupied. I had to amend the event for Soviet annexation due to this (apparently Lithuania declares war on SU by default, and gets annexed when occupied). All the movements with your army are purely voluntary, but it will get disbanded if still on the home soil when the country is occupied and GiE is declared. So move it out before that, if you want to retain it.

Thank you, MrWillis :) Next update is in the works, but still thinking which way to turn it. Should be done this year still to celebrate my 3 year anniversary since the beginning:D

Holy Shit! This has taken 3 YEARS! I never noticed the date the OP was posted.

No Race To Berlin. March 23 – April 5, 1944
No Race To Berlin. March 23 – April 5, 1944

With British and American forces having crossed the Rhine at Kleve/Emerich and Reese already during operation Veritable and liberation of Cologne, Ruhr Triangle - the industrial heartland of Germany - was ripe for the taking.

azeKyjS.png

Last natural defence line – the mighty Rhein – has fallen. March, 1944

After being summoned to our HQ for a briefing early in the morning on the 23rd, I learned that our whole Lithuanian Army was assigned to cover the left flank of the thrust to Ruhr by Brits and Australians from 1st and 10th Armies, drive north, complete liberation of Holland and enable additional supply routes as we go along the coast of Northern sea. Our whole task force amounted now to just over 50,000 men. A multinational bunch, about one third consisting of Brits, Dutch and Greeks that joined our ranks during these past few years and survived.

Operation Cannonshot. German defences in our sector were spotty at best, but when they stayed, however, they fought to the last. One of such spots remaining in the Netherlands was Deventer – a town overlooking river Ijsel and a railway bridge over it. Nearly 13,000 of reserve troops, a mix of German, Dutch and Belgian men, hastily organized into two divisions that have never been in combat before.

ul2kv7R.png

Guys from 3rd Volunteer Division in action in the suburbs of Deventer on the West bank of Ijsel, just before the bridge was blown by German troops. March 24, 1944

As the bridge at Zwolle was in our hands, the only remaining way to root them out was to encircle Germans from the north, by securing the roads leading from Deventer to Steenwijk, Hoogeween and, finally, Enschede, linking up with Australians coming from Winterswijk.

After several attempts to stall the advance of our guys led by Gen.Karvelis that were easily brushed away with few to none casualties on our side, Germans attempted a break-through through Enschede in early morning of the 27th.

S8CK5Fu.png

Mortar shelling soon turned into an all-out assault on our positions. March 27, 1944

My division, having just arrived to Zwolle was rushed into battle from the north during the night of 28th, with all other surrounding forces stepping in. Such rush did not really bode well for us, as even myself was only very vaguely aware of possible German strongpoints along the way, not to mention my men. This was painfully learned after we ran into several machinegun blasting blindly into the dark and mined approaches to waterway crossings, which made a 10 kilometer stretch into a bloody 6 hour march.

WZ39ljt.png

Within 30 hours of fierce fighting, the 12,000 strong German garrison surrendered. March 28, 1944

Next few days were just for mopping up the remaining resistance and moving further north. By March 30 the Marines liberated Emmen and crossed Ems the next day in the port city of Emden, already abandoned of hastily retreating German troops.

The goal of our whole operation was within reach already – Wilhelmshafen, the home based of the feared Kriegsmarine, or the remainder of it. On April 2, Marines and Infantry from the 3rd Volunteer rushed against defences around the city centre, set up by single German division of security forces.

BS72AGR.png

It took 10 hours and several hundred men lost for Germans to realize that resistance is futile and raise a white flag. April 2, 1944

My regiment reached Wilhelmshaven and its harbour on April 4, right at the moment when a fleet of British transports dropped their anchors in the roadstead. 6 British divisions (and one Danish!) have come to relieve us, while we were to sail out to Dover within the next few days for R&R. My men did. But I stayed, after receiving a late night visit form a British and a Lithuanian intelligence officers with an offer I could not refuse.

hLdAxqO.png

Lithuanian Tricolor and Britain’s Union Jack at the entrance of the Town hall. April 5, 1944.

Last edited:
Reactions:
Are you planning to continue? (I hope this isn't considered necroposting).
I plan to continue this still, I hope noone considered your post as necroposting ;)

Jay an update! Good stuff, nice to see the Allies supporting your operations in the Netherlands.

Apart. April – May, 1944
Apart. April – May, 1944

As we found out during our late night briefing (there were seven more guys from the LLA, three of them from my division as well), by two intelligence officers – a Lithuanian and a Brit – it was thought that the time is ripe for the preparation for the inevitable German defeat and occupation by the Soviets. The troops that did not leave Lithuania four years ago still had weapons safely stashed, and were just waiting for the opportunity, when a successful resurrection would be feasible. How much would be left after the frontline passed twice – in 1941 and now, was difficult to tell.

rhm1mBE.png

Poles chose the armed path, however, none of their uprisings starting in Warsaw have been successful so far. April, 1944​

Despite of uneasy Polish – Lithuanian relationships, it was thought that it would be best to use current setup and facilities used for training Polish resistance fighters, the Cichociemny, a programme for which was well underway under the Special Operations Executive (SOE) in Essex.

With Eastern front still moving back and forth, I had little time to prepare – only six weeks were allowed before our drop-off in the end of May.

ybP5Gkc.png

A School for Danger, as it was called by our instructors. We had to go through a number of crash courses – from parachuting and handling portable radio to demolition and sabotage. April-May, 1944​

With underground Lithuanian resistance organization caught now between two enemies, we were to return to my homeland and help create a network for gathering the intelligence on the situation under Soviet occupation, establish radio communication links with the British SOE officers.

As much as I managed to gather from my brief contacts with the guys from my (former) regiment, their rest was uneventful and ended quite quickly – too quickly, as always.

ExZY1ap.jpg

A postcard received from one of my mates. All he wrote on the other side was about his first encounter with the elephants - and nothing else. May, 1944​

Last edited:
Reactions:
It is alive! It looks like the liberation of the homeland is closing by the day. It will be tricky to get lithuania out from under the german yoke without too much soviet influence i think, but lets hope it can be done!