• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Vrijheid. The Things We Cherish. February - March, 1944.
Vrijheid. The Things We Cherish. February - March, 1944.

The feeling of freedom was overwhelming. The roofs, windows, even trees, orange banners and tricolors were flying everywhere, people were flocking to our headquarters, most just to express their gratitude and joy, others, mainly from underground resistance, ready to join our ranks and bring the fight further south, to Gouda, immediately. However, British command being suspicious also of possible infiltrators and spies, was reluctant to use these wannabe soldiers for front line duty without proper screening and preparation.

gee2ERM.jpg

Within one month nearly 2000 men joined our Volunteer division "Kaunas" forming a separate Dutch brigade.​

By March 1 the Marines linked up with the Americans from "the Big Red One" north of the Hague, finally surrounding the Axis troops entrenched around Rotterdam and Gouda, but numerous waterways prevented supplies reaching us in Amsterdam. Despite that, preparations for an all-out assault started immediately.

Battle of Arnhem

With supply lines still stretched for 200 kilometres from Eindhoven through Arnhem, passing a number of bridges, it was only to be expected that German blow will land where it hurts most.
In the early hours of March 2, the 454. German Reserve Division attacked eastern approaches of Arnhem, soon to be joined by 61. Infantry coming from Rijn, totaling 12 thousand men, against nearly 7000 Lithuanian volunteers, led by Gen. Liatukas, the Chief of Lithuanian Liberation Army himself.

At the same time the Ijsel river was forded and the bridge at Deventer was assaulted by another Reserve division together with infantry attacking from Zwolle. The road to Arnhem at Apeldoorn was defended by 3rd Lithuanian infantry division of Maj.Gen.Karvelis, this time - 14000 Germans against 7000 Lithuanians.

WG2vNdX.jpg

Supply route Arnhem - Amersfoort - Amsterdam had to be protected at all costs. March 2, 1944.​

Battle in Apeldoorn lasted two days, with Germans retreating back behind the river, leaving nearly 900 dead, while Lithuanian losses were much less - 170 men wounded and lost. A counter-attack was mounted immediately, on the Reserve troops in Deventer, but the opportunity to take the bridge over the Ijsel was missed, and the attack was drowned in blood in a hurricane of machine gun and mortar fire from the right bank of the river, without facilitating the situation of the troops in Arnhem.

The have managed to pull it off, nevertheless. After a dogged fight that took five days, the Germans withdrew on March 6, leaving our troops to mourn over a thousand of lives lost, while their losses where a bit lighter - nearly 700 men.

Battle of Rotterdam

In the meantime, the noose was being tightened around Rotterdam more and more every day - the German garrison at Betuwe fell on March 3, with further attacks of Hungarian troops on our 2nd. Infantry division repelled one after another, while the Marines were sent in to clear the pockets of resistance around Gouda - it was thought that only the scattered remnants of 217. German Infantry were still defending it, along with supporting staff of Hungarian High command, led by Gen.Barankay. Thus, it was even more unexpected, when the Marines were flanked and attacked by entirely fresh German Infantry division from Rotterdam, and our division was scrambled to battle having only a handful of clips each for our guns, in order to save them, without even waiting for our own Corps HQ of Gen.Zemaitis, now stuck in Amersfoort, to join the battle.

6ifAQrU.jpg

The supply route, stalled for almost a week due to fighting, was safe for now, but the effects were apparent - while food was sufficient, ammo was sorely lacking. March 7, 1944​

Within 2 days of intense fighting we managed to route the defenders from Gouda, and on March 11 the Germans were pushed back from Haarlem as well. The price we paid for this was high - 13 percent Marines were either lost or wounded, close to 1200, against about the same number of Axis troops.

There was no need for encouragement for any of the troops - everyone wanted to finish this as soon as possible, feeling that the war is coming to an end soon. However, Germans thought differently - more than 22000 Axis troops were totally surrounded in Rotterdam, and it took another 3 days of artillery barrage and all-out assault until they surrendered. Only 3/4th of the Germans survived the bombardment.

nSc3iot.png

A file of Lithuanian troops march through ruins in the suburbs of Rotterdam. March 14, 1944.

It was announced the same day that Bulgarian government surrendered to Romania. Greece is in danger!

If by Fox of the Balkans you mean Tsar Boris III, that was one sneaky Tsar :D. After Axis was dropped in favor to the Allies (as you may remember from Lithuanian exploits), it did not take long for the Tsar to become dissuaded with them as well, with strong communist sentiment building both among political functionaries and masses. Apparently, this was one of the reason for withdrawal of Lithuanian expeditionary Corps from the theater and gradual decrease in British military presence in Bulgaria, which led to the capture of Sofia by Romanians and forced the capitulation of Bulgarian forces.

If by Fox of the Balkans you mean Tsar Boris III, that was one sneaky Tsar :D. After Axis was dropped in favor to the Allies (as you may remember from Lithuanian exploits), it did not take long for the Tsar to become dissuaded with them as well, with strong communist sentiment building both among political functionaries and masses. Apparently, this was one of the reason for withdrawal of Lithuanian expeditionary Corps from the theater and gradual decrease in British military presence in Bulgaria, which led to the capture of Sofia by Romanians and forced the capitulation of Bulgarian forces.
Yes.
Tzar Boris III, the fox of the Balkans.
Or should I say Comrade Boris, friend of the peasants and workers?

Glad to see you're back in action! Nice update, what a lot of bloody fighting in the Netherlands. I hope the Allies provide enough support?

Guys, I really appreciate your interest in this, and sorry for not responding sooner, as I rarely have time to fire-up the game these days.

sebas379: The Alies are somewhere close and they definitely keep my back safe, I could not pull any of the operations on my own only. But yeah, the front is manly 1 division thick from both sides, probably something is brewing elsewhere. Will see :)

Andre Massena: I think Greece will have to hold on their own (or Brits - they are not doing much as far as I can see). As for experience of troops, they are somewhere close to 60% at this point, Mil divisions even more, as I have not reinforced them for a while. And the tech is not outdated, far from it! I actually have everything the Brits have (including the tactics, etc), I am not sure whether this is a quirk or a feature of being a GiE, but it works like this. I only research those topics where Brits are lacking or *think* that t would do me some good, such as first aid and stuff.

vidmizz: Thanks, there should be some progress soon enough :D For the past several weeks I was itching to write further, but two free hours I occasionally have are not enough to sit down and do it. I will try though :)

Glad to hear you will continue the story. Don't rush yourself, we will wait patiently but eagerly for the next installment.

I will be honest, I had forgotten about this AAR until it popped up in my notifications! I have just caught up: excellent updates as always, and that was a pretty interesting assault you launched in the Netherlands (I may have to steal that for HOI4 :D).

The time thing is totally understandable. Look forward to the next update, whenever you can get it done :)

I will be honest, I had forgotten about this AAR until it popped up in my notifications! I have just caught up: excellent updates as always, and that was a pretty interesting assault you launched in the Netherlands (I may have to steal that for HOI4 :D).

The time thing is totally understandable. Look forward to the next update, whenever you can get it done :)
That was back in February man, I think it's dead.

Argonaut Conference. March 15-22, 1944
Argonaut Conference. March 15-22, 1944

"Germans are on the run!" "The days of the Third Reich are counted!" That was all we saw in the newspapers and heard on radio. But all I felt was a huge relief. We made it, most of us got through alive, again.

KBwsw8z.png

And we needed rest. March 15, 1944
Right on the next day I received a letter from my brother, asking me to come and meet him as soon as I can. Apparently, he was appointed as an attaché to the returning Dutch prince Bernhard, the head of the Royal Military Mission based in London, to assist with smooth transition from Lithuanian military administration to a civil Dutch one. I was under impression that he was still working on such transition in Greece, thus, it came as a surprise that the government of Greece, headed by King George II and Themistocles Sofoulis, was fully reinstated (even if still shaky), as was publicly announced the day after.

IP6UiXK.png

The Hellenes will have to endure one last battle for their country. March 16, 1944

Despite the huge respite for us after freeing the Netherlands and our progress on Western front, the news Vincas brought were dire - Soviets were pushing on German heels and were soon to step into Lithuanian territory. The Allied High command is fully aware of the concerns of Lithuanian government in exile and is supportive of our cause for free Lithuania, there are no other options to resolve the situation than a diplomatic solution at the conference in Crimea, which will take place in the coming days at Yalta.

o7zJDgB.png

The second occupation by Soviet Union is imminent and cannot be avoided.

This, obviously, put our underground resistance into a danger as well, with a number of Soviet supporters returning also to Lithuania as loyal agents of the new occupation administration. The resistance movement - Supreme Lithuanian Liberation Committee (Lith. - VLIK), established back in 1943, was in constant contact with British intelligence and Lithuanian government, but noone was sure it will be possible to keep it alive after Soviet return. It was thought that the resistance will no longer be passive and all efforts were made to prepare for an armed fight.

oPThqK9.png

Main weapon of resistance against Germany, however, was underground press. One of the most popular newspapers - "Laisvės kovotojas" (Freedom Fighter) published a VLIK declaration claiming that Lithuanian state has not disappeared due to current German and upcoming Soviet occupation.

Next week was intense. In between of the preparations for the next operation, I managed to get a few short meetings with my brother. While Yalta conference itself was a subject to discussion in most major papers, I was eager to find out anything that was left not for press. It was not much at first, only some rumours in diplomatic circles about a power struggle undergoing between Soviets and Americans, with British left watching, but I still hoped for the best.

What I was able to learn, left me in deep shock - I didn't even dare to tell any of my brothers-in-arms. It was of course not fully confirmed yet, but it looked like Stalin played all the cards he had and was fully successful at it.

2Q1dsYr.jpg

Churchill thought he can charm anyone, but this time flattery got him nowhere. March 19, 1944

His main demands were for the war to continue until full surrender of Germany, its post-war division into occupation zones and also setting the zones of influence in Eastern Europe.

Despite the fact that we were standing at Germany's border (or some troops having crossed it already in some places), while Soviet Union has not even recaptured Leningrad yet, Stalin, reportedly, was unyielding, stressing that 70 percent of Wehrmacht was on the Eastern front, and going as far as implying a possibility for a separate truce with Germany, if no agreement was reached (probably, fearing that the British and Americans might do the same)

PRKfchi.png

New division of Germany and Poland, and percentages of influence in Eastern Europe, as sketched on a napkin by Churchill. March 20, 1944

The question of Poland and three Baltic countries was raised by Churchill repeatedly, or at least Lithuanian delegation was under impression that it was. The plan for Poland was harsh - loss of Danzig and surrounding area in addition to the whole Eastern Poland up until the line of Curzon. This at first created some hopes for our delegation to resolve the question of Vilnius, but they were shortly shattered - the allegiances to the East or West of all four countries were to be decided during the special popular election, but Stalin was relentless - the elections will be held under the laws of the occupying country, with no interference from other parties.

The last glimmer of hope was in President Roosevelt, but it soon was extinguished as well. With Japanese sieging Melbourne, massing on Midway island, and marching on he streets of Calcutta, the USA needed all the help with the war in Pacific Stalin could promise.

OcEhCMX.png

And all this not counting the fact that most men fit for military service in the US have been called already. March, 1944

Last edited:
Good to see you'r continuing this AAR!
The situation for Lithuania is getting tricky with the Soviets closing in so fast. I'd say its pretty much already too late to attempt a liberation of your own because you;d have to fight your way through Denmark to even get to the Baltic. A large dilemma indeed.

Thank you all for comments, I really hope to move forward with this :)

Good to see you'r continuing this AAR!
The situation for Lithuania is getting tricky with the Soviets closing in so fast. I'd say its pretty much already too late to attempt a liberation of your own because you;d have to fight your way through Denmark to even get to the Baltic. A large dilemma indeed.

What concerns the liberation, I WAS thinking about reaching Lithuania through Denmark (if I am lucky enough), but what's next? I can barely scrape enough people to match my pre-war army, and without any other help - it's doomed, anyway..

Stupid USA AI

So far - I was of the same opinion, as it has been nothing but a pain. But a desperate AI can do wondrous things:D You'll see, I hope ;)

A Unilateral Declaration of War is still technically possible from you, right? You can, mechanically, drag the whole of the Allies into war with the Soviets at any time.

Also, that is an absolutely ludicrously huge Japanese frontline and area of occupation. In real life they would need ten million men for that.