• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Since you're working on making the main map look better, would it be possible to include a toggle in the graphics options for the map overlay? The classic parchment map, and a clear overlay?

Super excited about the attachable units feature. It will be very useful for attaching a large garrison in satellites and SOI's that have a revolution plague without actually having to control that unit or pay attention to them. Great idea!

Once this patch is out, I'm buying AHD for sure.

Last edited:
Can something be done for Generals and admirals?.
Maybe move the leadership points to more than 60, making the recruiting of Generals/Admirals with High leadership be not random skills, but good skills, like EUIII, more military or naval tradition, better commanders.
Something like you reach a top of 100 Leadership points, then you have a default amount of points to spend of 20, like it is now, but if I decide to spend 50 points or the 100 points, then I have a very good chance I will get a good General.

HA HA

Very excited about the much easier to use modding function.

Great work guys!

This is very welcome news, and these all look like very good changes. I'm particularly pleased to see you're dealing with the clergy promotion / demotion issue and immigration. I hope that includes looking at population growth rates as well -- why are they set at zero before tech exactly? -- and the balance between population growth and the constant outbreak of negative population growth events that can't be replaced with natural growth until late game.

What I didn't see here, but expected to see, and should have seen, is some rebalance of the early economy.

Making the economy tighter was a good thing. But it was a poor design choice to make early economy states wholly unable to fund anything, turning their economy to zero. These dials are supposed to be percentages -- there is no reason poor and rich states shouldn't be able to fully fund military and education, with "full funding" meaning very different things. Given that tax and spending rates are a large part of what playing Victoria II involves, taking this ability away robs early economy states from playing the game at all. Not fun for anyone, often frustrating, and completely unnecessary.

You need to tone down the early economy techs that double farming and mining output. You need to shift some of that power to the output at game start. The aggregate affect will be the same a decade into the game, but this would make the game a lot better to play during that first decade (and much longer for uncivs). It will also give the player some real choices at game start, instead of dictating they take these almost mandatory techs so they can actually play the game.

What I didn't see here, but expected to see, and should have seen, is some rebalance of the early economy.
The economic simulation side of Victoria II is one of its most complicated systems, and not something you fix in a hurry. Podcat has specifically explained that they wanted to get a quick patch out to fix a lot of the obvious issues, and then they can get to work on the stuff that will take more time. With that in mind, I'm actually quite surprised they've crammed this many features/improvements in already, instead of just fixing bugs.

The economic simulation side of Victoria II is one of its most complicated systems, and not something you fix in a hurry. Podcat has specifically explained that they wanted to get a quick patch out to fix a lot of the obvious issues, and then they can get to work on the stuff that will take more time. With that in mind, I'm actually quite surprised they've crammed this many features/improvements in already, instead of just fixing bugs.

While true, this is a pretty important fix and it's pretty simple to do. We're just talking about shifting the same industrial power to a little earlier, not changing the balance. But yes, you would want to run it to make sure it didn't break something by for example allowing uncivs to flood the economy with too much cheap tea.

That said, this may be what podcat meant by shifting the balance in industry techs to create a smoother transition. So it may be done, just not clearly stated in the post.

Great fixes.

You know one thing that I really, really wish with all my heart that you could do? Micromanage your national stockpile on a greater scale then the budget slider but a smaller scale then the massive micro heck that is trying to manual all your trades. Something like... having a sub slider for industry and upper, lower, and middle class needs, land needs, naval needs, etc. So you can prioritize.

Would also love to beable to adjust just how much money you invest into factories, I think those would go a LONG way in helping micro your nations with the new unforgiving eco system of AHD

Changing promotion, demotion and migration naturally effects the economy.

While true, this is a pretty important fix and it's pretty simple to do.

Never, ever say this in reference to the V2 economy, ever again.

Changing promotion, demotion and migration naturally effects the economy.

Pedantic much?

Do you truly not understand my point? Do you think this is some sort of point-scoring contest or clever-off, or are we having a conversation?

Never, ever say this in reference to the V2 economy, ever again.

A hint friend: Don't ever, ever talk to people like that, ever again.

Pedantic much?

Do you truly not understand my point? Do you think this is some sort of point-scoring contest or clever-off, or are we having a conversation?

A hint friend: Don't ever, ever talk to people like that, ever again. It makes you look sad.

When the person is better versed in the V2 economy, it isnt. If it was easy why didnt you release a quick fix mod to fix all the economy problems

Would it be possible to plot POP over time, like the budget over time plot in the upper left of the screen? It would be incredibly handy to track evolution of POPs over time. That would certainly be an improvement to the current "hover mouse over POP icon and look at numbers" method.

When the person is better versed in the V2 economy, it isnt. If it was easy why didnt you release a quick fix mod to fix all the economy problems

What isn't? What does this post even mean? Truly, I have no idea what you're talking about.

But as to the "easy" part, which I actually understood, yeah I could edit the text files of the left-most industrial economy line to reduce the bonus from each from 40% to like 20%, and then text edits the basic RGO output by 40% or so and fixed. Pretty easy. No, I'm not going to release a "mod" with these simple edits in the text files.

The more important part is the then running 40 handsoff games to see what changes and tweaking anything odd that happens -- as I mentioned, the increase in tea perhaps. I just don't have that kind of time right now. Nor do I have a suite of data parsers to study whether 20% is better than 15%. You know who does? And who is actually running these tests right now anyway?

Look, the "fix it yourself" move isn't helpful to anyone getting a better game. Because it's a response that can be leveled at every single observation or bit of advice on these boards. Unless your position is everything is always perfect and nothing can ever t be improved and nobody should ever note ideas for improvements -- which I sure hope it isn't -- this sort of response is just trolling. Don't be a troll.

Pedantic much?

...? Shifting promotion, demotion and migration will naturally effect the economy. It will balance at a different point. The economy is automatically rebalanced by doing so. It's not 'pedantic', it's an entirely valid response to you asking if the early economy had been rebalanced. The systems are not all separate bounded entities, all of them effect each other to a great extent - which is why you really shouldn't say that rebalancing the economy by shifting production bonuses about is 'pretty simple to do.' That just makes it sound like you have no real idea of the scale of what you're requesting.

For example, have you considered how increasing all base RGO outputs by 20% would effect, say, issues? Or promotion and demotion (it would more or less stop low-lits from getting soldiers, ever, under the 2.1 promo table). How it would effect the money circulation in the game - you'd be increasing the intial supply through the change, but you'd also be increasing the productivity so you'd actually reduce liquidity, relatively. You've also got a rebalance a lot of tech, since that 20% gets multiplied by all the RGO improving technologies and inventions, so there's more to it than just shifting 20% off Water Wheel and dumping it into the productiontypes.txt file.

So yeah, it's not 'pretty simple to do', but it is pretty simple to screw up by assuming it's simple to do.

Oh, and

The more important part is the then running 40 handsoff games to see what changes and tweaking anything odd that happens -- as I mentioned, the increase in tea perhaps. I just don't have that kind of time right now. Nor do I have a suite of data parsers to study whether 20% is better than 15%. You know who does? And who is actually running these tests right now anyway?

If the answer is so jaw-droppingly easy, then why does it need a suite of data parsers and 40 handsoff games to test it? Why does it take so much time for you to do it, yet the Devs are supposed to be able to manage it in the twinkling of an eye...?

Last edited:
Agree with you. There is good reason why the factory techs for example give only small output and input bonuses for example. Even minor changes can break the game a lot.

IMO the only real issue with the game nowadays is totally ahistorical population growth and emmigration, the rest are little details that need relativelly small tweaking.

Sounds fairly nice. Attaching units sounds sweet for MP, if only I played :closedeyes:, and a little useful for SP. At least for helping annoying little nations in ones sphere to grow in certain wars. Naval rally point though....yes....now....