Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Heavy Cruiser ESN Jutland is due to be launched in seven days. One of the Light Cruiser Captains will move up to it. One of the Destroyer Captains will move up to the Light Cruiser. The third Mine-Layer Captain will move up to the Destroyer (the other two moved up today). You can have the Mine-Layer. It's a step towards a bigger, faster ship.

Meh, better than a kick in the nuts. I shall take it. Then advance at the expense of my colleagues Muahahahahaha

Meh, better than a kick in the nuts. I shall take it. Then advance at the expense of my colleagues Muahahahahaha

Each time a new ship comes out, it triggers a wave of reassignments and promotions, since I try to bucket-brigade my Officers forward... with B advancing to A, C advancing to B, D advancing to C, etc... so you probably won't remain a Mine-Layer Captain long. They are about due to be rebuilt into something faster and more useful anyway.

Each time a new ship comes out, it triggers a wave of reassignments and promotions, since I try to bucket-brigade my Officers forward... with B advancing to A, C advancing to B, D advancing to C, etc... so you probably won't remain a Mine-Layer Captain long. They are about due to be rebuilt into something faster and more useful anyway.

How are fighter pilot assignments working out for ya? :D

How are fighter pilot assignments working out for ya? :D

There are about 160 Streaks commanded by zero-stat NCOs, because we don't have enough Officers to command them all... and NONE of the Gnats except the Squadron Leaders have Officers.

I could just go into SM mode and add as many Officers as I need, of course... but I prefer to use that mode only for correcting bugs.

The Battle-II class Heavy Cruiser ESN Jutland has been launched. Captain Henkalv will command it.

Rear Admiral Lord Martin moves up to command the Attitude-II class Light Cruiser ESN Totally Pissed Off.

Commodore Octavian Dorieus moves up to command the Star-II class Destroyer ESN Vega.

Raaritsgodzilla is promoted to Captain and assigned to command the Reptile class Mine-Layer ESN Lizard.

The last two Battles (ESN Medway and ESN Wolf 294) will complete their refit to Battle-II in about four-and-a-half months. By then, the first of the Bayonet Assault Shuttles will have been launched.

Our scout ship ESNS Russel exploring the Gliese 33 system near The Nexus reports incoming hostile contact: Thermal 7, speed 61,000 kps, short-range active sensors pinging. Sounds like homing missiles.

EDIT: Eight identical hostile contacts, coming from the third planet. Must be either missiles or Fighters.

Our scout ship ESNS Russel exploring the Gliese 33 system near The Nexus reports incoming hostile contact: Thermal 7, speed 61,000 kps, short-range active sensors pinging. Sounds like homing missiles.

EDIT: Eight identical hostile contacts, coming from the third planet. Must be either missiles or Fighters.

Do we think they're Prix missiles? Or an unknown alien race?

Jeeze... they missed! That's astonishing, considering the 61,000 kps closing velocity! They must have fired just as I entered their sensor range, and when I reversed course and ran for it, I ducked out of range again. I guess... in fact, I'm really not sure how I survived that.

No idea who it was. They were flagged as "Hostile" on my tactical display, but were not identified as Prix (or as anyone else).

Jeeze... they missed! That's astonishing, considering the 61,000 kps closing velocity! They must have fired just as I entered their sensor range, and when I reversed course and ran for it, I ducked out of range again. I guess... in fact, I'm really not sure how I survived that.

No idea who it was. They were flagged as "Hostile" on my tactical display, but were not identified as Prix (or as anyone else).

Any plans to send in something with better sensors to see who or what the hell decided to shoot at us?

How far is that system from the Sol System?

Any plans to send in something with better sensors to see who or what the hell decided to shoot at us?

How far is that system from the Sol System?

Gliese 33 is three jumps from the Nexus, which puts it five jumps from Earth. Not particularly close. Half of the Galaxy is within five jumps of Earth.

It could very well be old Prix homing missiles, left in orbit around a planet as a trap for any unsuspecting ship which moves into orbit. They so that occasionally. There was no ID on the missiles, though... neither Prix nor anyone else.

Go into range and pop out again? Or will you just send a listening ship and see if there are more to be concerned about?

We need to get some intel on these trigger happy aliens, maybe sending in the fleet to keep some blink class ship safe while we observe how severe this threat might be

There was no ID on the missiles, though... neither Prix nor anyone else.

Which is what makes me think it wasn't the Prix.

Besides, do their missiles travel THAT fast?

We need to get some intel on these trigger happy aliens, maybe sending in the fleet to keep some blink class ship safe while we observe how severe this threat might be

My latest theory is that I never actually got close enough to set off the homing heads on the missiles. Vessels equipped with EM sensors (like that scout ship is) can usually detect a pinging active sensor BEFORE they come within its range. So I got close enough to detect the pings, and reversed course and got out of there before I was actually close enough for the homing head to detect me and lock on. I believe these to have been old homing missiles, left in orbit as a trap. This is a known tactic.