Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Woot woot, we got 'em, didn't we.

Yeah, we took each of them down with a single salvo apiece from the Fighters. None of them even saw their attackers.

I suppose that there will not be medals for this battle (seeing as it went quite smoothly)

I don't see why not... does an operation need to be a near-disaster in order to generate decorations?

One point... as I mentioned, as far as I can see each character in the game only seems to have room for a single "row" of medals. So perhaps we should limit each character to a single battle star... with the toughest fights (Wolf 294) being more prized?

I don't see why not... does an operation need to be a near-disaster in order to generate decorations?

One point... as I mentioned, as far as I can see each character in the game only seems to have room for a single "row" of medals. So perhaps we should limit each character to a single battle star... with the earliest ones (Wolf 294) being more prized?

Can you remove them? If possible, when the row gets full, we could just remove the least important one..

Can you remove them? If possible, when the row gets full, we could just remove the least important one..

I'm not sure... I didn't see a button for that on the interface. For all I know, a scroll-bar may appear once your medal-row gets full. Don't know.

Try with one of the explorers, they go into the unknown and will probably not be enjoying their medals for too long.

Try with one of the explorers, they go into the unknown and will probably not be enjoying their medals for too long.
As I see it, you might as well provide those test-medals to researchers - they don't seem to outlive the survey pilots by much... :p

Btw, could you, great blue lord in the sky, please provide the star date (or whatever it is called in Aurora) for such events as the battles? It makes the roleplaying thing much easier and helps keeping track of the pace of developments, too. :)

Now that we've killed all visible Prix, and reset the System Control flag from "Prix" to "Human Empire", we can check the list of habitable planets/moons to see exactly which three bodies in this system are habitable. It turns out to be the third, fifth and sixth planets. None of these were Geo-surveyed by Charlie before he got whacked, so it's quite possible that this system not only has three Mars-like planets to develop and potentially some Ruins to explore, but also some useful minerals. It might make a nice addition to our empire, especially as it is more-or-less on the route between Procyon (Dravar XV and Moria colony worlds) and Gliese 320 (Remagen colony world).

Btw, could you, great blue lord in the sky, please provide the star date (or whatever it is called in Aurora) for such events as the battles? It makes the roleplaying thing much easier and helps keeping track of the pace of developments, too. :)

This battle took place on April 1st and 2nd, 2049. The Battles in the Wolf 294 system would have their dates mentioned in the earlier posts.

We have now searched all of the 82 Eridani planets except the outermost one. No sign of further Prix ships or installations.

:rofl: I just now realized how freakin' BIG this 82 Eridani system is. The outermost planet is so far away from the inner system that it would take our fast recon vessels... which move at over 10,000 kps, remember... more than 140 days to reach it! That puts it more than 120 billion km away. Well, the Hell with that. If there's Prix way out there, then they can STAY there until we develop practical Hyperdrive engines.

The ESNS Eddington scout vessel has arrived in the 82 Eridani system to begin searching for ruins and prospecting for minerals. A second scout ship is on the way, as well as Tankers, Wreckers and Freighters.

I've been following this AAR for a couple weeks and it's inspired me to try to get into Aurora. (maybe once I finish my Sword of the Stars game...) Very well written, blue emu!

But, just how good is the AI in this game? Will it ever realize that you're just kiting its ships with your Blink scouts, or that it shouldn't bother firing at your Rocks and Granites until after your combat ships are dealt with?

If the game isn't clever enough to adjust its tactics, would you consider mothballing these vessels to give yourself more of a challenge? I'm really hoping to see more forumite casualties in the future--Risk is our business! /kirk

I've been following this AAR for a couple weeks and it's inspired me to try to get into Aurora. (maybe once I finish my Sword of the Stars game...) Very well written, blue emu!

But, just how good is the AI in this game? Will it ever realize that you're just kiting its ships with your Blink scouts, or that it shouldn't bother firing at your Rocks and Granites until after your combat ships are dealt with?

If the game isn't clever enough to adjust its tactics, would you consider mothballing these vessels to give yourself more of a challenge? I'm really hoping to see more forumite casualties in the future--Risk is our business! /kirk

The game is still in alpha. Not all of the game features have been added yet, let alone debugged and refined. Considering that it's still under development, the AI seems reasonably competent. It's not heuristic, though. As far as I know, it doesn't "learn".

I might mothball the Rocks at some point... but not the fast recce vessels. High speed is perfectly thematic for recon units. I won't need them as badly when I can match my opponent's speed, but bear in mind that at the moment, my fleet moves at 4,000 kps and I'm routinely facing 9,615 kps opponents... more than double my movement rate. This automatically puts me in a situation where there's no such thing as a small defeat... as soon as we start losing a battle, we will lose the entire fleet, because we can't possibly retreat from a bad situation.

I can second that. It's a pity that game is free, Steve would be really rich by now. See Minecraft as an example... I'd happily pay €5 for a game of such grandeur, even in alpha. :)

I have to object to this proposal! Tactical superiority is nothing to get rid off just for some obsolescent sense of chivalry! What will the wives say, the parents, the siblings, the children of those who have to perish for nothing but sportsmanship? :eek:

The ESNS Eddington scout vessel has arrived in the 82 Eridani system to begin searching for ruins and prospecting for minerals. A second scout ship is on the way, as well as Tankers, Wreckers and Freighters.
Oh well. I've one world in my game whose farthest planet is at 800b km from the star. It takes more than 100 days to go there while I use hyperdrive (granted, it's an outdated scout model, given that it had to spend close to 10 years to survey the whole system, with hundreds of asteroids orbiting 30-50b km from the star).

One our survey scouts has detected a hostile Prix "Population" on the fifth moon of the Gas Giant 82 Eridani A-X. This must be the base that the Prix Yuan warship was operating from... Thermal 15, possibly a ground unit.

G099_Prix.jpg

Time to send for some Space Marines, to clean out this nest of vipers.

I might mothball the Rocks at some point... but not the fast recce vessels. High speed is perfectly thematic for recon units. I won't need them as badly when I can match my opponent's speed, but bear in mind that at the moment, my fleet moves at 4,000 kps and I'm routinely facing 9,615 kps opponents... more than double my movement rate. This automatically puts me in a situation where there's no such thing as a small defeat... as soon as we start losing a battle, we will lose the entire fleet, because we can't possibly retreat from a bad situation.

Those fast recon ships are pretty neat so I totally understand keeping them around for intelligence gathering. They remind me of my old Crow interceptor in EvE Online. :)

I really am impressed with Aurora--it gives you such a huge sandbox to explore! I can't wait to see what you run into next.

I can second that. It's a pity that game is free, Steve would be really rich by now. See Minecraft as an example... I'd happily pay €5 for a game of such grandeur, even in alpha. :)

*checks to see if there's a donation link @ the game's site. No? Drat! :(

I have to object to this proposal! Tactical superiority is nothing to get rid off just for some obsolescent sense of chivalry! What will the wives say, the parents, the siblings, the children of those who have to perish for nothing but sportsmanship? :eek:

But think of the ratings! The pulse pounding excitement! The needless sacrifice! It makes me all a twitter.