Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Missile PD would have fired by now, and beam PD won't help much against that many salvos. I sense success :cool:

Targets Yuan 001 and Qara 002 destroyed. Fighters are returning to their Carriers for another ammo load.

I'm actually surprised how successful that was, the new missiles must make quite a difference. How many of them hit?

Bwa-ha-ha-ha... they've turned on their active sensor... it's 149 m-km, res-83. These Fighters are only 3.4 TCS (Target Cross Section). He'd have to get within a quarter of a million km of me in order to spot me with that gear, and I can fire missiles at him from outside 40 m-km.

... assuming that I can get back to the Carriers and reload quickly enough.

I'm actually surprised how successful that was, the new missiles must make quite a difference. How many of them hit?

Maybe half of them. Maybe more. I've got a 61% to-hit against a 10,000 kps target.

Another carrier captain chiming in:

Splendid work All Glorious Emu! You are indeed the GroFAZ!

The remaining Yuan has also turned on his active sensor... and it's also res-83. These dudes don't seem too worried about Fighters.

G088_Prix.jpg

Looks like my Fighters will beat him back to the Carriers with just enough time to reload and launch a second strike. That should kill or cripple two more... the fleet will have to take care of the last one. Should be no problem, though.

Looks like my Fighters will beat him back to the Carriers with just enough time to reload and launch a second strike. That should kill or cripple two more... the fleet will have to take care of the last one. Should be no problem, though.

Could we split the strike 3 ways? Or do you think it wouldn't destroy any of them if we did?

Could we split the strike 3 ways? Or do you think it wouldn't destroy any of them if we did?

They'll be close enough for the Gnats to join in the strike this time... so yes, we can split it three ways. 46 Streaks on each of two should kill or cripple both, and 40 Gnats on the remaining one should soften him up for our gunships. I'd rather knock one or two out of the fight instead of just scratching the paint on all three, since dead ships can't shoot missiles at us.

I'm getting my turn-increments chopped at 20 seconds... it's hard to believe that he's really firing missiles at me from 160 m-km away. I suspect he's just eyeballing me. Still... the rest of the battle is going to take a while if I have to close 120 m-km, twenty seconds at a time.

They'll be close enough for the Gnats to join in the strike this time... so yes, we can split it three ways. 46 Streaks on each of two should kill or cripple both, and 40 Gnats on the remaining one should soften him up for our gunships. I'd rather knock one or two out of the fight instead of just scratching the paint on all three, since dead ships can't shoot missiles at us.

Sounds good Oh Merciful Blue Angel of Death!

The remaining Yuan has also turned on his active sensor... and it's also res-83. These dudes don't seem too worried about Fighters.

Mind you, we're not too fussed about fighters either. We're fortunate they haven't tried their own carrier strikes, particularly against a Blink.

I eagerly await the time that we come across a Prix carrier, it would be great to see how their fighters stand up to the awe inspiring power of the Streaks!

The streaks are designed for sinking 5000 tonne plus targets. They'd have to get right up close to a fighter to hit it, and the Prix engine tech would give them the advantage in choosing range.

Fighters recovered. I'm going to steam away from him while reloading the Box Launchers... that will take forty-five minutes or so. He'll still be overtaking me, since he moves more than twice as quickly as I do, but it will stretch out the interval, while I reload the Fighters.

I must say it's nice to have strike fighters faster than their targets :)

It's nice to have Fighters that are faster than THEIR CARRIERS.

The remaining Yuan has reversed course, and seems to be fleeing. The remaining two Qaras are still heading directly for the Combined Fleet.

EDIT:

The Yuan is making course 197 degrees... that could take him to any of several planets... they are rather clustered on one side of the sun at the moment. I'm betting on 82 Eridani A-V, an Oxygen/Nitrogen/Water world.

It's nice to have Fighters that are faster than THEIR CARRIERS.

The remaining Yuan has reversed course, and seems to be fleeing. The remaining two Qaras are still heading directly for the Combined Fleet.

That too :D

I was worried some of their ships might flee, but I had assumed that taking out one of each type would make them want to keep the remaining ships together for combined arms operations. If the Yuan class are sensor ships, then maybe they always would have turned away at a certain point. Have they got us under active sensor coverage yet?