Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Any plans to subsidize some of our private corporations so that they can purchase more of their own freighters without requiring us to use our slipways?

Any plans to subsidize some of our private corporations so that they can purchase more of their own freighters without requiring us to use our slipways?

They've already got about 50 Freighters of various sorts, and I'm using them to ship Infrastructure out of Mars to our other colony worlds. Now that Mars is class-0, they don't need life-support infrastructure.

I can't give them too many contracts without cutting into our interstellar trade revenues, though... they should be spending a large part of their time trading with the Charlies, Chix and Seals.

EDIT: Freighters are built on Commercial slipways anyway... so they don't compete with warships for available slipways. They only compete with Asteroid Miners, Orbital Fuel Stations, Tankers, and other commercial designs.

The jump-capable Expedition class Troop Transport ESNX Galveston has lifted from Earth, carrying the 57th Marines (under PC Colonel Hearth) and some green replacements to the embattled world of El Dorado in the Wolf 294 system.

G064_Game.jpg

How far away are some BBs?

A fair way... I really don't have the minerals yet for large-scale expansion of the shipyards.

I'm wondering if instead of designing Fleet components we should start by designing a battle fleet at this point. Preferably we wish to havea minimum 2 of them. Each one capable to deliver quite some force into a battle, and operate independently of each other. So the natural question arises: What benchmarks would be relevant:

What kind of missile fire should the fleet pd be able to handle without letting any through. Missile & PD & CIWS combined.
Alpha strike numbers. Instead of maximizing it, when does it become less useful. What would be a target.
Secondary strike, numbers, and timing.
Amount of redundancy. Say 20% overcapacity?
Fleet speed.
Fighter Speed
Air Superiority (could this be handled by the AMM missiles on the missile pd?
Sensor array
Firing range
Operations radius
Annual failure rate
Refit-schedule (if this is meaningful)
Cost of entire battlefleet
production time- Including refitting of the shipyards.

If we pull some meaningful numbers into this, I think that we might be able to design a fleet afterwards in which each and every part is designed to the whole. This is very much what we are doing now, but more from a stop-gap perspective. (looking at the current fleet, and plugging vulnerabilites).

Well, once we get our fleet carriers operational, I think they'll become the centerpiece of our forces, with all other ships filling some critical role in regards to protecting them, jumping them to systems, resupplying them, etc.

It turns out that refitting our Battle class Heavy Cruisers (these are our most MODERN ship, remember) up to Battle-II class standards will cost 109% as much and take 109% as long as simply scrapping them and building new ships from scratch. It looks like we left the refit a bit too long.

I'm going to do it anyway, to preserve our veteran crews instead of seening them disbanded.

One can only hope that in future versions of the game, every single crew member will be tracked and can be transferred. :p

It turns out that refitting our Battle class Heavy Cruisers (these are our most MODERN ship, remember) up to Battle-II class standards will cost 109% as much and take 109% as long as simply scrapping them and building new ships from scratch. It looks like we left the refit a bit too long.

I'm going to do it anyway, to preserve our veteran crews instead of seening them disbanded.

100% for building a completely new ship

the remaining 9%, and the minerals you'd get for the old ship, spent on retraining the crew on the new ship.

How much WOULD scrapping the ship earn you as a %?

100% for building a completely new ship

the remaining 9%, and the minerals you'd get for the old ship, spent on retraining the crew on the new ship.

How much WOULD scrapping the ship earn you as a %?

Scrapping returns 25% of the minerals spent in the construction of the ship.

It takes ten or fifteen years to train a crew up to the standards that ours have reached. Your estimate of 34% (9% + 25%) is probably far short of the mark... and by that time, how obsolete will the "new" ships be? Rebuilding (rather than scrapping and building anew) is the only way to get truly modern ships with truly veteran crews.

Last edited:
109% is probably worth it, although a new crew would have plenty of experience opportunities in controlled environments hunting Prix anyway. What is it 109% of in terms of build time? It probably does make a difference whether it's an extra month or year.

One can only hope that in future versions of the game, every single crew member will be tracked and can be transferred. :p

Think bigger. Individually named, with traits, friends, rivals, scores in a range of different abilities, languages, income, career ambitions...

Football Manager can do it, so why not this? I mean sure, you have a whole galaxy to worry about... :D

109% is probably worth it, although a new crew would have plenty of experience opportunities in controlled environments hunting Prix anyway. What is it 109% of in terms of build time? It probably does make a difference whether it's an extra month or year.

Three months difference. It's now October 2046. I have a 3-slip yard retooled. I am rebuilding two old Battles to Battle-II, and using the third slip to build an additional one. The new one will finish in two years nine months. The rebuilds will finish three months later.

Scrapping returns 25% of the minerals spent in the construction of the ship.

It takes ten or fifteen years to train a crew up to the standards that ours have reached. Your espimate of 34% (9% + 25%) is probably far short of the mark... and by that time, how obsolete will the "new" ships be? Rebuilding (rather than scrapping and building anew) is the only way to get truly modern ships with truly veteran crews.

So it's a steal, right :D

So it's a steal, right :D

Naturally, things aren't quite as one-sided as I've presented them... the third option is to build a new ship while keeping the old one. That would give us two ships instead of one, and would actually be cheaper than rebuilding the old one (which gives us only one ship instead of two). I'm not doing this... partly because of the expense (in money and minerals) involved in maintaining a large navy that includes many obsolete elements, and partly because that would mean leaving our best crews on our worst ships, on the ones most likely to be destroyed in any tough battle.

I prefer a smaller, more efficient and effective navy rather than a larger, inefficient one. For one thing, that minimizes maintenance expenditures.

We have now exploited about 600 of the 1747 archeological sites on El Dorado... a bit more than one-third. With our big stack of Engineers and our continually-increasing Xeno-Archeology bonus, the remaining sites should be explored at an ever-increasing rate.

We have now exploited about 600 of the 1747 archeological sites on El Dorado... a bit more than one-third. With our big stack of Engineers and our continually-increasing Xeno-Archeology bonus, the remaining sites should be explored at an ever-increasing rate.

Could we get a breakdown of the stuff that has been found so far, as well as the number of robots that have been killed, and maybe the experience of the personell involved?

Could we get a breakdown of the stuff that has been found so far, as well as the number of robots that have been killed, and maybe the experience of the personell involved?

Jesus... I've totally lost count.

Perhaps 20-25 research labs, a dozen terraforming stations, half a dozen genetic modification facilities, a couple of dozen ship maintenance facilities, over a hundred ship components of various sorts (many of them already obsolete, unfortunately, and only useful as scrap), perhaps seventy automated mines, sixty or so mines, about the same number of construction factories, a dozen or so missile factories, somewhat fewer fighter factories, eight or ten fuel refineries, six deep space tracking stations, five ground forces training facilities...

... and about a dozen free techs. Perhaps a few more than that.

Experience... nearly everybody on the planet has gained about +10 (or thereabouts) to their Ground Combat Bonus, and many have also improved their training bonus by up to +15%. All leaders who command Engineers have been increasing their Xenology skills, in some cases by up to +15-20 points.

We fight off anywhere from eight to twenty robot attacks per year, usually of three or four battalions of robots per attack... that would be about 42,000 robots killed (dismantled? de-activated?) per year, assuming 1,000 per battalion. You would think that we'de get some minerals for that...

Oh, yeah... minerals... about 50,000 minerals of various sorts, and over 20,000,000 fuel.

Last edited: