• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Part 8.3 - Idrisid Emirate (Sana'a & Medina)

@mike the knight: Indeed. Or at least that he unites Arabia...

~~~~~
Part 8.3 - Idrisid Emirate (Sana'a & Medina)

Things are looking promising for Abdullah, he has rid himself of a troublesome brother and things are falling into a holding pattern while we contemplate the next move. We still need around 4 territories before we can form the Sultanate of Arabia, however, so that's still probably another ten or 15 years away depending on claims and such.

The rest of the year 1194, goes by rather fast, when we get an event that lowers our decadence by 2 points due to the humbling knowledge of the greatness of our ancestors.

2014-04-21_00189_zps6bbad2d9.jpg

As December begins we learn that a man named Khalil is gathering an army to lay claim to our lands. This cannot be allowed. I don't want to use money from the Idrisid bank to fight some random camel rider with magical doomstacks so Abdullah begins plotting the man's death.

2014-04-21_00193_zps1d6de8ac.jpg

As a fair warning there shall be many such plots in the near future. Abdullah will fall in love with the idea of stabbing people in the back while the sleep.

In February of 1195, the assassination is set and goes off without a hitch. Well sort of anyway. The snake decides one victim is not enough and wanders throughout Khalil's household biting and killing quite a few people before slithering off into the sunset.

2014-04-21_00197_zpsbc419e11.jpg

You got to love a snake that kills more than just the one target.

Things remain boring and I check out some of the world, like I always do during the dull periods. Remember how Norway became the last and final bastion of the Norse faith?

Well Sweden wanted to conquer Norway due to them being pagans and such. So King Egil Hede "the Monk" converts to Catholicism to save his realm. A smart move, but now he faces open rebellion from the followers of the Old Gods. Whether he survives or dies is yet to be seen. But I'm guessing the Norse religion is now done for.

2014-04-21_00201_zpsf434ec84.jpg

Abdullah falls ill that summer, I begin to fret about what may happen if he dies. But he quickly recovers a few weeks later.

In November, we have two children born, our first son Is'mail and another daughter Nyawela.

2014-04-21_00206_zps46535cc3.jpg

This is when I decide its time to go to war once more against the Husamids. I use the conquest CB against the Sheikdom of Hail. In March of 1196 the first battle takes place, which we win pretty easily.

2014-04-21_00208_zps201d15e9.jpg

This gives us a nice +30 boost to warscore, so its obviously going to be a very quick and painless war.

We then settle in for a siege and occupy As Salif (+49). We then win the battles of Jizan and Foda (+56).

In December I'm informed that our Sheikh Fadil of Al Jawf is seeking to fabricate a claim on the Emirate of Medina. Abdullah considers throwing him in prison for a brief moment but realizes said Sheikh is a very rich man, obviously a member of OPEC and an oil tycoon in his own right. So we hold off on throwing him in prison momentarily. Plus, said traitorous rich Sheikh is trying to expand our lands for us, so we will wait until he wins his own little war.

1197 begins with two more sieges concluding between January and March.

2014-04-21_00213_zps72147f74.jpg

This makes the young Emir Jamil of the Husamids surrender in May.

2014-04-21_00219_zps603239e8.jpg

Another war complete for the son of the Poet. And now we need to once again ponder what we should do next.

While thinking, I notice that a Bulgarian is now Emperor of the ERE, Emperor Kocelj Bulgarsko I can't imagine the Greeks and Serbs in the Empire being all that pleased by this turn of events. In fact I imagine his tenure wearing the Purple will quickly come to an end.

That's when I decide I love the assassinating little kids. Its so much fun! And so easy to do. I start a plot to kill our former enemy little Emir Jamil of the Husamids. Why? Because he's a boy and everyone hates little boys anyway. They're so annoying and loud and obnoxious.

The plot fires quickly, and while we await word of its success we are informed that the Ice Queen has finally died. Sadly displacing the af Bornholm dynasty with the af Bucu dynasty in Prussia. It seems our turn in icy Denmark was far from successful as the Bornholms did not last very long at all.

A few weeks later we're informed that Jamils maid smothered him with a pillow.

2014-04-21_00224_zps20e6d76f.jpg

Unfortunately the maid informed the world about Abdullah's involvement in the plot. So I make a mental note to have the desert searched until we find the snake that rampaged through Khalil's household as the snake was a much more discreet assassin.

With the death of Jamil our truce with the Husamids is now over and Abdullah can once more march off to war against our archenemy this time for the Conquest of Rafha.

2014-04-21_00228_zpsae001518.jpg

As Abdullah's troops are off marching to attack and conquer things again. The Caliph decides its time for the Sunnis to go on a Jihad for Mauretania. And why not? Its held by the Rahhalids of Andalusia now, instead of the once invisible Shaiban Sultanate. So victory should be assured right?

2014-04-21_00229_zpsd38be0d2.jpg

By October of 1198, we had a minor and I mean super minor battle, in which we slaughter all 98 of little Emir Ashraf's camel riders. Followed by a successful siege and occupation of Rafha (+30).

Which is when Pope Eugene III comes up with a brilliant strategy.

The Adhid Caliph is busy marching across North Africa to attack Mauretania. Which means all of the Caliphal troops are far far away. Eugene sees this as a perfect time to grab the Holy Land and calls a counter-Crusade.

2014-04-21_00233_zps8fbcf808.jpg

This has one of two outcomes. The Jihad could lose as the Caliph races his troops back to Jerusalem in an attempt to defeat the Pope. Or the Caliph could say screw it and stay in Mauretania, and intentionally lose the Holy Lands. Or the Caliph in all his infinite wisdom, could divide his forces and lose both. I think if I were the Caliph I'd say screw Jerusalem and burn Mauretania to the ground as quickly as possible and then race back to the Holy land or conduct a Special Ops mission to the Vatican.

Unfortunately the AI being the AI will decide to divide its troops, and as I'm betting lose both the Jihad and the Crusade.

Silly all powerful Caliphs not knowing how to game the system.

Meanwhile Abdullah is sitting upon his camel awaiting Ashraf's imminent surrender. Which comes a week after the Pope calls the Crusade.

2014-04-21_00236_zps44ea2cfb.jpg

After winning, Abdullah frets about what to do. In a way he really wants to return the family to Mauretania. He toys with becoming a Jihadi. In fact goes so far as to join the Jihad, and raises his troops and begins marching. When Idrisid men reach Cairo, still a long way from Mauretania, we see things not going all that well, and massive Christian armies beginning to land in Jerusalem.

This gives Abdullah pause. He parks his camels while thinking. If I go to Mauretania, we risk losing all our levies. A price way too steep and that could end our chances of gaining the Sultanate of Arabia.

With this in mind Abdullah turns his camels around and returns to Sana'a.

Sorry Caliph, you'll just have to squirm under the brunt force of the Christian knights.

Upon returning in March of 1199, another son named Alim is born to Abdullah.

2014-04-21_00239_zps4532f92e.jpg

Some time passes and the news I'd been waiting for comes in October. Sheikh Fadil has usurped the Sheikdom of Shaka, using his massive wealth to hire mercenaries to carry the day. A trick he learned from the rise of the Poet.

To reward his services to the Emirate and the Idrisid Dynasty we arrest him and throw him in our dungeons. Because well we can't have oil wealthy Sheikhs running about thinking their the next Poet.

2014-04-21_00240_zps243fc844.jpg

The Husamids are now down to one Sheikhdom. Which means one war and bam! We win. But yet we are bound by a stupid truce yet again.

Its truly a sad day for Emir Ashraf. Everyone knows what is going to happen to him. He is of course an obnoxious child much like his elder and late brother Jamil. We fire up the assassination plot to rid the world of obnoxious children once again.

And once again the nobility of the Husamid Emirate agrees that children are far to annoying to yield such power and eagerly join in.

They take the brat out hunting one day, not that he was old enough to even go hunting, but hey whatever works right? Little Ashraf would never return from the hunting trip.

2014-04-21_00242_zps911e2f9c.jpg

Although we seriously have to find Khalil's damn snake.

Seriously, you darn assassins, I just wish you were half as good as this snake I hired once. Now he was a true professional!

Loll well it looks like Abdullah is making solid progress despite the failures of his assassins, and the Caliph. I imagine with the holy wars that are occurring if Abdullah keeps his head down, he could end up as the strongest man in the Muslim world.

But seriously, from now on Abdullah just needs to hire that damn snake :D

Unfortunately, not a lot of oil in that part of Arabia. But in game terms, the Hejaz and Yemen make a great power base (seriously, Mecca and Medina are both six-barony counties, and are already maxed out). Once you have the sultanate, you can start to poach territories and maybe even offer vassalization to any remaining independents. Just keep a good treasury in case the Caliph gets any ideas about using his empire title to grab your lands.

Seriously, you darn assassins, I just wish you were half as good as this snake I hired once. Now he was a true professional!

Loll well it looks like Abdullah is making solid progress despite the failures of his assassins, and the Caliph. I imagine with the holy wars that are occurring if Abdullah keeps his head down, he could end up as the strongest man in the Muslim world.

But seriously, from now on Abdullah just needs to hire that damn snake :D

That snake was a badass, slithering about biting everyone he could find!

Abdullah is definitely on a great trajectory though. Hope he can keep it up without stumbling into any unforeseen hurdles.

Unfortunately, not a lot of oil in that part of Arabia. But in game terms, the Hejaz and Yemen make a great power base (seriously, Mecca and Medina are both six-barony counties, and are already maxed out). Once you have the sultanate, you can start to poach territories and maybe even offer vassalization to any remaining independents. Just keep a good treasury in case the Caliph gets any ideas about using his empire title to grab your lands.

They are incredibly powerful emirates! I never realized it until I played there, definitely a perfect couple of duchies to build up and steamroll. The treasury is still pretty healthy as well though, and it can be bolstered by a few grand as long as I have Fadil locked up, so if I ever run below 3K I can just banish him and get a good 2 or 3K replenishment.

Ι can see soon that the Caliph will be not so friendly :p you should have already payrolled this snake and send it to take care of all the incompetents you have in your agency service on its own :p offtopic Have you seen my update ? :)

Found this AAR a few days ago and are finally up to date and will definitely stay further. Great stories aside, this is a quite interesting world. There are so many of the really rare kingdoms emerging through AI doing. Wolga-Bulgaria, Serbia, Perm, Suomi and Cyprus! Can't remember any of them in one of my games at least.

Okay, so Abdullah's reputation is probably a bit low, what with his known penchant for assassinating little kids (and hiring blabbermouth killers), but you can't argue with the results: the Idrisids are rising fast and they have money to spare (as well as a rainy day fund called 'Fadil').

Part 8.4 - Idrisid Emirate (Sana'a & Medina)

@mike the knight: Yes indeed the hunt for our good friend the snake is going to resume shortly. And I don't think I've seen your newest update yet, I'll have to go check it out after I'm done writing.

@McGrey: Welcome aboard! You are right though about the odd nations, most of them (with the exception of Serbia) I've never personally seen either. Bad part is a lot of them will probably disappear when the GH and Ilk show up. I really think they may have changed some coding to actually make the AI strive for forming Kingdoms whenever possible.

@Stuyvesant: Maybe Abdullah views the killing of the children as a way to continue in Muhammad's footsteps of making the world more poetic. By ridding the world of the unharmonious racket they cause? lol...But yeah the Idrisid bank is now propped up by the Fadil Hedge Fund.

@Hiryuu: I don't know if our camels would enjoy Constantinople that much though...I kind of have an urge to go play in Egypt or screw with the Nubians...haven't decided which though. Maybe just play cat and mouse with the Caliph the remainder of the turn, see how massive most powerful empire versus the Idrisid Bank turns out.

~~~~~
Part 8.4 - Idrisid Emirate (Sana'a & Medina)

We had just killed another noisy obnoxious child. You know those little things that yell and scream and wake their mother and father up at all hours of the night. Recently however, our assassins have suffered from guilt from these unpleasant missions we have sent them on. In response to said guilt, Abdullah has enlisted every man in the Emirate to scour the desert for the trusted snake that rampaged through Khalil's household.

This is when Abdullah's vassal Sheikh Is'mail comes to our murderous Emir with news of a "treacherous" snake.

2014-04-21_00243_zps5d91c634.jpg

"You found my snake Is'mail?"

"Yes Aziz is an evil snake, Emir."

"Is he the one that rampaged through Khalil's household?"

Is'mail becomes confused, "No, Aziz is a man, but a traitorous and therefore treacherous snake."

"So you didn't find my snake?"

"Not that one no."

"Damnit! I didn't want any news till the real snake is found!"

Is'mail slinks off, afraid he may be next up on the list of future assassinations.

At least that's how I envision that exchange went down. Abdullah really desires his trusty slithering friend to return to the happy confines of Sana'a so he can be put to good use once again. But sadly that snake probably is nowhere to be found. Nevertheless the camel-riders are still carrying on their search.

With the recent dead child out of the way, we can once more declare war on the Husamids, and waste no time in doing so.

2014-04-21_00228_zpsae001518.jpg

At least this war will finally rid us of Husamid children once and for all.

Meanwhile the Jihad is going quite well, the Caliph has managed to rack up the warscore all the way up to 27%. Although I think he is losing the Crusade, so there is that issue at hand.

In May of 1200 we win the first and really only battle of our war of Conquest against obnoxious children. It was really a simple victory and no reason to post such a sorry screenshot.

Which is when the Sheikh Fadil Hedge Fund requests mercy. Abdullah informs him that all moneys are supposed to be locked up all nice and safe, inside a safe...like the dungeon. So therefore, Fadils request for mercy is ignored and he's left to rot in the dungeons of Sana'a.

By December, Abdullah has another son, this one named Muhammad, and he is a strong little baby. Perhaps a future heir to the Idrisid Banking Empire?

2014-04-21_00249_zps665079be.jpg

A month later our Chancellor (Grand Vizier) informs us that he has fabricating some interesting documents. Documents that give us a nice fat claim that we've been dreaming of.

A claim on the Emirate of Oman.

2014-04-21_00250_zps07a728fd.jpg

This is technically part of the Caliphate. Unfortunately. But, it does open up the interesting gambit of us being able to claim all of Oman whenever I feel like it. And in a way I am getting really curious about whether brute strength can win against a huge treasury. So the Adhid Caliphate may want to watch its step because murderous Abdullah is starting to feel invincible.

By the end of March of 1201 we occupy Holuf (+36 war-score). I ponder things for a moment, and as I'm pondering Emir Hussayn of the Husamids sues for peace. Giving up his claims, and lands, not wishing to wait things out until Abdullah finds his trusty slithering friend.

2014-04-21_00251_zps882fce46.jpg

A few days later, seeing that I've met the requirements, it is finally time to give Abdullah and the Idrisid bank the promotion it has been waiting for.

2014-04-21_00256_zpsf4867192.jpg

Say hello to Sultan Abdullah of Arabia.

This makes two Arabias in the world. The Imperial one held by the Caliph, and the Idrisid one in the real Arabia.

It feels good finally accomplishing a goal, after those fifty years of beating my head against a giant block of ice otherwise known as the Ice Queen.

Speaking of which here is what the new Arabia looks like:

2014-04-21_00260_zps0517e2b2.jpg

Nubia has recently gotten reduced in size. It had some dynastic issues happen to it. Brothers fought each other for quite a while, and finally ended with what you see there in that map. Abyssinia became independent as well as Axum. However, they are still ruled by that Nubian family that's been around from the very beginning of the game.

We also moved the capital to Medina due to it being the Kingdom Capital of Arabia. This doesn't really harm me any as Medina has slightly better tech and is completely maxed out on its current buildings as well, so no harm done with doing that.

In celebration of the move Abdullah knocks up one of his wifeys.

Which is when the Tulunid Sultan invites into a war against the Teutonic Order for Sicily. At first I was a little apprehensive. I mean we have NO boats. And it isn't like I'm about to march our camels all the way through Anatolia, then Greece, Croatia, through Italy all the way down to Sicily and back again. I mean just to start that journey we'd have to play cat and mouse with the thousands of knights playing "Kill the Infidels" in the Holy Land.

But join the war I shall, but keep the camels at home anyway.

Another wife then gets knocked up as well. Seems now that Abdullah is Sultan he's rediscovered his nighttime vigor.

In October of 1202, the result of the Crusade is announced.

2014-04-28_00005_zps777f89d7.jpg

Not surprising that the Caliph lost. I mean he was too busy playing at Jihadi in Mauretania to really care about what was occurring in Jerusalem. Silly AI, should have defended what was yours to start with!

But on a high note the Caliph is up to 90% war-score against the Rahhalids of Mauretania so maybe he made a good tactical decision.

I do have to admit one thing though, I am quite happy that the Knights of Calatrava won this Crusade instead of those dang Teutons that have won every Crusade so far.

We then have a daughter named Asiya.

And come April of 1203 a son named Khalil.

2014-04-28_00008_zpsee6aca50.jpg

He's week and ill, so he definitely is no candidate for the Sultanate. I think Khalil's fate is as future is to be a future tenant of the dungeons.

I start becoming bored again. And realize that the Byzantine Emperors have joined in defending Teutonic Sicily from the Tulunids. Seeing as the ERE has two provinces in Egypt right now, I can't help but jump at the chance to join the war. I call up the trusty Camel Riders, informing them the hunt for Khalil's snake is temporarily being called off for we have a visit to de Nile planned.

A little over 10,000 of our levies engage with the Teutonic Allied Forces of 5300 at the battle of Seyan, the result is as you can imagine overwhelming victory for the Idrisid Camel Riders. We chase the remaining 800 TAFs off and kill them all at the Battle of Pelusia.

While in Egypt laying siege to some ERE lands, we notice two strange things that I will share in a picture with you all.

First there is a new Husamid family in Egypt. No relation to the one with the obnoxious brats.

Second, the Knights of Calatrava have already been kicked out of the Holy Land.

2014-04-28_00013_zpsf61cff54.jpg

They won the Crusade 13 months ago and are already gone! Talk about a quick turnaround on the managerial front.

In December, another son is born named Ubayd, he's ill as well. I'm starting to think there's something grotesquely wrong with the wombs of Abdullah's wifeys.

2014-04-28_00014_zpsc3caa939.jpg

We then win the siege of Pelusia, which gives the Tulunids 98% in the war-score department.

While looking at the war-score, I also notice that the Christians are starting to turn the tide against the Caliph's Jihad. They've knocked the score down to 82%, which means that the post-Crusade the Catholic world decided instead of returning home they'd just sail on over to Northwest Africa and slap around some more Muslims.

Our men continue to lay siege to Byzantine territory in Egypt on behalf of the Tulunid Sultanate and I decide to go look in on Catholic Volga Bulgaria. Where I find a character with a unique name.

2014-04-28_00017_zps4002fb1b.jpg

Duke Dukum. If only it could have been Nukum then it'd have been perfect.

Our brother Bahir interrupts my trip around the world by informing us that some thugs have tried to kill him. Awww, if only they had, if only they had.

I allow him to seek vengeance anyway, because that's what is just after all right?

By August of 1204, the Tulunids have won their Holy War for Sicily.

2014-04-28_00019_zpsb00a1c56.jpg

At this point it begins to seem blatantly obvious that our Caliph is just a terrible terrible long-term strategic planner. He had Mauretania and the Rahhalids by the balls! And now he's about to get bent over the proverbial desk once more by el papa.

The war-score in the Jihad is dropping quickly, like as quick if not quicker than a boulder in the ocean.

Meanwhile Abdullah's vassals keep clamoring for their BFF to be named the new Chief Qadi of the Idrisid Banking Empire. I keep telling them no and that our Hedge Fund Manager Fadil is by far the best at that job.

Speaking of the Fadil Hedge Fund, I release him from prison finally. Crazy move I know. But I really really want to revoke his lands. In fact I even started a plot to that extent. I don't know why I'm doing this since I could have simply banished him especially since that's what my intent has been all along. But I guess I just really wanted to pester him a little bit more. You know the same way the Ice Queen did with that one vassal?

Unfortunately much as we expected our Hedge Fund has zero humor, and is very unappreciative of us keeping him locked up in a vault for the last couple of years. So ungrateful in fact that he informs us that this is not humorous and that he will now spend all of the Hedge Fund upon mercenaries.

2014-04-28_00023_zps8448dc3d.jpg

Ooops.

The Jihad meanwhile is plumetting into the deepest darkest recesses of military failure and incompetence. Perhaps history will blame the Idrisid Banking Empire for its failure. We did promise to fight, but our camels were too busy searching for Khalil's snake to bother with such a long march across North Africa.

By the time the war-score drops to 6% the Caliph of the Adhids has an epiphany and says, "Screw this Jihadi shit!" and surrenders.

The Rahhalids live to survive another day, Muslim expansion into Mauretania blocked, meaning Iberia will remain safe.

And the Caliphate is a laughing stock. Seems like the opportunity to kick them while they're down is drawing near.

Last edited:
Now is your time ! Strike full force before they could recover!Shame on you about the still missing snake :p

Yes now is your chance!

Cash in the hedge fund, find your snake, and then strike at the Caliphate while they're weak!

Only problem is, his hedge fund has taken the unsporting steps of A) revolting and B) spending the Idrisid Hedge Fund that was so generously entrusted to him on mercenaries. So he'll have to reacquaint Fadil with the dungeons first, then hope not all of the money is gone, and then finally strike at the humiliated Caliphate.

Still, I'm all for taking out some frustration on the Caliphate. Should be a definite change of pace from beating up on little children. ;)

Only problem is, his hedge fund has taken the unsporting steps of A) revolting and B) spending the Idrisid Hedge Fund that was so generously entrusted to him on mercenaries. So he'll have to reacquaint Fadil with the dungeons first, then hope not all of the money is gone, and then finally strike at the humiliated Caliphate.

Still, I'm all for taking out some frustration on the Caliphate. Should be a definite change of pace from beating up on little children. ;)

But surely who couldn't have spent it all on mercenaries, right? Gosh darn it! This would never have happened if we could have just found that snake!

Excelent work on the Sultanate.

If you're going to make a run at the Caliph, make sure to check the ledger (while not totally accurate, it'll give you an idea of how many mercs you'll need to hire). I'd be careful though, if I remember correctly their aren't a lot of mercenaries in Arabia.

I'd recommend either waiting for him to lose a war (normally a crusade would have been ideal, but he didn't actually lose much considering his forces were so far away. Although his continued presence across Africa may restrict his movement somewhat.)

Given Abdullah's penchant for murder, you could always put a hit out on the Caliph and cross your fingers for a succession war (ideally he has multiple landed sons, or lots of imprisoned brothers). Given the size of his empire you should have no problem finding people who hate his guts. Hell, even if a civil war doesn't erupt, the short reign malus ought to cripple his levies for a bit.

Ooops....been 10 days since I came around...I'll be updating soon probably later today I think. Real life is running some interference for me though.

@mike the knight: Yes need to strike fast before he spends all of the Hedge Fund.

@Hiryuu: Sorry my next move has taken a while to be updated...but I shall reveal that hopefully later today for ya, apologies for the wait!

@ScribleScrable: Attempt to cash in the HF may be empty by the time we get him to the nearest ATM machine. But the Fadil HF does have a lot of cash assets so I doubt his little merc army will drain it. We just have to smash the mercs first so they quit charging him for services.

@Stuyvesant: Yeah slapping the Caliphate is going to be a good change of pace. Just unfortunate the Hedge Fund is causing a delay in that.

@verdas: Thank you, its been an easy run thanks to all the money the Idrisids had! But yeah I definitely will check the ledger, and there aren't many mercs in Arabia so also waiting till a large amount of them are available to hire will be a major factor in our invasion plans. I've thought about assassinating the Caliph too, I don't know, we will see where things go after we get our Hedge Fund back.

~~~~~​

Just wanted to remind everyone that may or may not know, you can still go and vote for your favorite AARs in the quarterly ACAs until the 31st of May.

Here is the link:

CKII Q1 2014 ACAs

You can vote for 4 of your favorite AARs. I noticed the thread had dropped to the third page of the forum so highly suggest any of you that haven't voted to go and cast a ballot to bump it back and hopefully remind others to get out and vote as well.

Not campaigning, just like seeing people vote for their favorite AARs :)

Part 8.5 - Idrisid Sultanate (Arabia)

Part 8.5 - Idrisid Sultanate (Arabia)

So apologies for the long absence. Life got in the way of updating about our magnanimous child killing Sultan Abdullah.

We left off with him going to war against the rebellious Fadil Hedge Fund. So we raise our troops and hire some mercenaries so we can match the Hedge Fund's strength as he has hired some 6K mercenaries as well.

By October our forces are arranged and march off to engage Fadil's hired men. The Battle of Dumat al Jundat commences. We win the battle easily, killing 5,330 of his men (+42 war-score). We then set about laying siege to Shaka, which we occupy in February of 1207 (+72 war-score).

2014-04-28_00026_zpsf039e174.jpg

The Fadil Hedge Fund, now realizes that resistance is futile and offers up his surrender, deciding to return to the Idrisid Bank's Safety Deposit Box in Medina.

2014-04-28_00031_zps1d194481.jpg

Not wanting any more unfortunate issues to arise with regards to the hedge fund, we immediately cash it in by banishing Fadil. He had used a decent portion of the fund to try and beat us, but nevertheless an additional 1,800 isn't anything to sneeze at. The cash infusion into the Idrisid Bank should help propel the Arabian war machine against the power of the Caliphate.

While wondering when a good time to strike the Caliphate would be, we discover that over in Scotland where the de Wexfords reign supreme, have gotten a new child named Tomas II de Wexford as their King. While looking at his character screen and that of England's, I make the discovery that little Tomas II is second-in-line to inherit the Kingdom of England as well.

Curious I pull open the English heir's screen and click on the corresponding option to kill him. I didn't think the English would enjoy having some Bedouin in far away Medina killing the heir to their throne, but lo and behold they are plenty happy to jump behind Abdullah's plot. And by September of 1207 the heir to the English throne dies.

2014-04-28_00041_zps94e14618.jpg

I felt a little dirty doing that. King Tomas II of Scotland inheriting England is still a long shot, like beyond a long shot. It's almost as big a long-shot as California Chrome accidentally winning the Belmont Stakes in a few weeks and being the first Triple Crown winner since the 70s. But, at least now the possibilities of a de Wexford take over of England is possible.

Some more time passes when in December 1208, I notice a strange light purplish blob has appeared in the Caliphate. Curious I go and investigate. What I discover is that said little blob is the Emirate of Cilicia, rebelling against the embarrassed Adhid Caliph.

I go and check the ledger, wondering just how tiny this Cilician revolt is, and to my surprise discover that the Cilician Rebels are the most powerful nation in the known world.

2014-04-28_00043_zps89e9b1e0.jpg

Who is this Emir Sirhan III of Cilicia? Well he is the descendant of some former Caliphs that ruled a few hundred years ago. Apparently he is trying to reclaim his family's previous glory. And with a troop stack of 98K he very well may be victorious in that.

It takes me a few minutes to snap out of my amazement at that giant rebel stack the small emirate mustered. When I do snap out of it, I decide to take good Sultan Abdullah out for the spin we've been hoping he would take for a long time.

To war with the Caliphate!

2014-04-28_00045_zpsc847bc66.jpg

So that I'm fully prepared for the onslaught of Caliphate forces I hire a bunch of mercenaries. However, I wonder if I'll even need them as it seems the Caliph has his hands full with Emir Sirhan III. No matter, might as well spend the money just to be safe.

While preparing to mount his trusty camel Sultan Abdullah falls ill in April of 1209 but quickly recovers a few weeks later in May. And sets off atop his camel to wage war.

In July, Farida a possessed woman and one of Abdullah's lovely wives requests the honor of becoming our first wife. I think about this for a little while wondering if it would be a good idea to give someone that is possessed that honor. While considering this option I come to the conclusion that Farida would make an excellent first wife for our child killing Sultan due solely upon her being possessed.

2014-04-28_00050_zps113a8e9d.jpg

They make a good royal couple, don't they?

With that out of the way we win the siege of Yanqui (+5 war-score). I'm beginning to wonder where the feared stacks of doom are, obviously Emir Sirhan III is running some great interference for us, as the Caliphate forces have yet to materialize in our neighborhood.

In November a daughter named Sabba is born. And a few weeks later we win the siege of Al-Halya (+14 war-score).

2014-04-28_00051_zpsb3140e13.jpg

In January of 1210, our former first wife Aziza, catches pnuemonia, probably due to the fact she'd been relegated to slightly less comfortable conditions after her demotion. She quickly succumbs and dies.

2014-04-28_00058_zpsd742d4e5.jpg

In February we win the siege of Afif (+19 war-score) a few weeks later we also occupy Dhu Zabi (+28 war-score).

2014-04-28_00059_zpsf02c00d5.jpg

Oh where art thou doom stacks Mr. Caliph?

This war is highly boring. I thought the AI would at least send some sort of stack against me. But, no, they're all busy fighting the would be usurper Sirhan, so there won't be any adrenaline pumping battles that make us nervous and fear the outcome of the war.

Instead it seems this war is going to be all about waiting out the sieges. So I kick back and relax a little, no need to stress about defeat.

March rolls around and our wonderful Court Imam decides to be funny and converts to Ibadi, and subsequently tries to talk us into doing the same. I am tempted at first. But then I recall that other time we played as a weird religion. You know that insignificant and sad attempt at playing the lone Mazdaki ruler of the Vahid Shahdom? Yeah I don't want any part of crazy weird religions at this point in time.

So I imprison our fearless Imam.

2014-04-28_00062_zps9f276c31.jpg

In June we occupy Dibba (+42 war-score). Which is also when Wali Shaiban Muslihiddin of Taiz decides to keel over and die without an heir. This hands his city over to Abdullah, as well as Wali Shaiban's cash reserves. How much could a little Wali have?

The answer: 1800 gold.

He was as rich as our recently cashed out Fadil Hedge Fund.

A day later we occupy Lahej (+48 war-score), a few months pass into September when Abdullah occupies Ghaydah (+56 war-score). December then rolls around with the occupation of Al Hamra (+65 war-score), and to ring in the new year of 1211 we also occupy Nishtun (+79 war-score).

2014-04-28_00064_zpsb73f7725.jpg

Nishtun is the straw that breaks the Caliph's Camel's back. He promptly sends his regard, and sues for peace. His hands are full and he's a very inept commander, losing the Crusade, losing the Jihad, and getting spanked by some little Emir of Cilicia. The Adhid Caliphate is far from the uber powerful blob we once ruled over as the Abbasids.

With his surrender we take the Emirate of Oman, making our borders a little bit prettier.

2014-04-28_00077_zps841c7e88.jpg

In celebration I name little Muhammad, the son I want to inherit the Sultanate as Emir of Oman and send the noisy little brat off to rule in Muscat. Before he gives Abdullah a headache that results in another child being thrown from some high minaret.

Now I was thinking about letting peace reign supreme. We have less then nine years left in Arabia, but I notice the little Sheikhdom of Tabuk (sp?) is rebelling against the Alamid Sultanate (Egypt). I quickly press our de jure claims there, as I'd like to snag up as much de jure land as possible.

So before even being able to give our trusty camels a break we are off to war yet again.

While waiting for our troops to merge into a stack of insta-death, I wander north to go see what's up with the Byzantines. They've had a terrible game thus far. And to add insult to injury the Makedons are back to ruling the ERE, with a child with a funny name.

2014-04-28_00079_zps8602f7e4.jpg

Emperor Abdul-Azeem Makedon, wonder how he got that name as it doesn't sound very Greek. I'm guessing the Makedons have a camel riding ancestor somewhere in that lineage. That can truly be the only logical explanation, unless of course the child really isn't a Makedon but rather a bastard of some random Camel-rider, that would also explain this oddity.

But anyway moving on further north. Abdullah's eyes fall upon Bohemia, which has been ruled by Karlings for quite some time. I'm tired of Karling domination and its time for some Bedouin intervention.

King Baldoen Karling of Bohemia's heir is not a Karling for some reason, so I fire up the murder plot. Once again I would be surprised if anyone will join in so I just click the auto-invite button and forget about it.

Until a month later when some Bohemian informs us its time to kill Baldoen. I smile, Abdullah's fingers stretch across the world, and we're still missing his damn snake! Oh well.

In April of 1211, Baldoen is poisoned by his daily drink of wine and falls over dead. King Samzun de Seckau is then crowned as King of Bohemia, and we are quite pleased to see the Karlings lose some power.

2014-04-28_00084_zpse484f13c.jpg

Some more time passes, and by August we occupy Mariyiat (+33 war-score), meanwhile we're chasing around Tabuk's 7K stack of men all over the Sinai and Holy Lands and back again. Just can't catch them sadly.

In November, Abdullah grows tired of his Spymaster/brother Bahir and throws him in the dungeons as one of our children would make a better spymaster, so we're slowly embarking upon a generational shift of power now.

A few weeks later we occupy Duba (+78 war-score), and assault the walls of Tabuk itself (+100). We then enforce our demands to which the Sheikh of Tabuk whole-heartedly agrees. I mean he wanted to free from the Sultan of Egypt anyway so now he can be part of the Poetic Kingdom of Arabia! Its a win win for everyone.

2014-04-28_00098_zpseecebd7e.jpg

With another set of land taken, our options are growing limited. We still can do little old conquest CBs, we could try and fabricate some Emirate level claims too but probably wouldn't have the time to press them. So here I will leave the update off on a good note. Three wars one in quick succession and 8 years remaining until our next adventure.

Only question left is what exactly will our child-killing Sultan Abdullah do next?

Personally I would have gone Ibadi, given your huge stack of money, which the Vahids didn't have. Oh well!

Egypt looks pretty divided, though that may be civil war? If not I would try expanding over there with the Conquest CB. Also, I believe pre-RoI you can walk across from Dhu Zabi into Persia, so that's another possible direction.

A bit of a shame about the Caliphal letdown: no seat-of-your-pants war there - but then, having to deal with nearly 100,000 mad Cilicians must have been mightily distracting for the Caliph. I wonder if it truly registered for him that your mercenary camel riders where swooping in from the south.

Nice/disturbing to see Abdullah spread his particular style of poetic performance art far and wide: killing semi-random people in England and Bohemia. I must admit that the Bohemian Butchery surprised me most: that target wasn't even a child anymore! ;)

If you still have the money left, I think you owe us one last war. Even if it is a hell-for-leather ride to destruction as the turn ends on the Idrisids. Perhaps declare war on the Cilician rebels and see what their army looks like? :)