• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Gearing Up For War
1st November 1937- 1st January 1939

I decided to play on a year to keep things moving solidly in the interval that is peacetime.
This certainly does not mean nothing happened. Our newly captured factories were on the clock to pump out as many planes, ships and weapons as they could. An example of this feat is our leaps in bounds in aviation technology, not only in the hardware, but also our tactics and doctrines. Furthermore, 5 Interceptor wings and 10 Carrier Air groups were produced. More Interceptors and Naval bombers will be needed, but it's a start.

33axcox.jpg

The Aichi DIA2 "Val", our new Carrier Air Fighter-Bomber. These will be the future of naval warfare.

What good are Carrier Air Groups without carriers however? We managed to put to see 5 of the new, top of the line Shokaku class aircraft carriers, the Ryujo,Akagi,Amagi,Kaga and Soryu. To accommodate the core of the new fleet, we also produced 20 new Akitsuiki class destroyers, too screen and protect the fleet. In addition, as if it needed anything else, we added the new " Yamato" Super- Heavy battleship. Her sister ship, the " Musahsi", will form the center of a new battleship fleet. This new Carrier Fleet will triumph over anything any other nation can send at us. Or so the Navy promises us.

9uq8vc.jpg

One of the new Shokaku class carriers. The navy assures us there were worth the wait.
Meanwhile, in our newly acquired territory, we left a corps behind from First Army to deal with partisans. However, we face the entire Second army against the renegade Guangxi Clique, who as it stand pose the biggest "threat" to our factories in China. In time, they will be devoured, but for the moment we are content to stare at each other across the border. The Yunnan, in the East, we eventually meet a similar fate, as well as Mao's cronies, but this will be at our leisure.

2h5n1pi.jpg

2nd army's boxing in of the Guangxi Clique.

We also built our first five Marine divisions, which should come in useful in future amphibious invasions. For the moment we will base them in Saipan while we review the defense of the Pacific. New fortifications, airfields and forts will need to be built, as they are very poorly defended. This will come in due course.

Unprovoked Agrression

Unprovoked Aggression
1st January 1939- 3rd May 1939

Far from the stretches of the Japanese Empire, trouble was brewing in the heart of the world, trouble that threatened to boil over into war. Despite Japan's close alignment with the Axis powers, and the acceptance that no amount of stalling would keep us out of the war, it was nonetheless a shock when on the 11th of April, we were informed that Japan is now at war with all the Allied countries, including Great Britain. In truth, the entire en devour seems to caught the world by surprise, only coming about due to some German aggression in Czechoslovakia. However, Japan was dangerously unprepared, with our armed forces in the midst of reorganization.

20qm39i.jpg

Despite our unreadiness, we had recently produced new Marine divisions and their accompanying transports, leading us to engage on a dangerous gamble...

However, seeing how unready nearly all the nations were, we decided that we could test to see if Singapore was poorly defended, and take it with our new Marines, under the cover of a Carrier fleet. 5 marine divisions, accompanied by Admiral Mikawa's hastily assembled Carrier fleet, set off into the Straight of Singapore. Mikawa faced serious resistance from rather large British and French fleet, but saw them off to make way for our transports. Whilst we sunk little more than a few French submarines, we heavily damaged a lot of British Battleships. Encouraging results indeed, but the best was yet to come.

2mexok3.jpg
121u690.jpg

Admiral Mikawa proving those new carriers were worth the wait.

On the 20th April, with the way clear, Major General Nokai led the charge (literally) with 5 Marine divisions into the Jewel of Malaya: Singapore. We expected fierce resistance, but were met with a relatively small force of 1 division. It seems we got the British at an excellent time. However, the terrain and fortifications ensured Singapore did not go quietly. It fell on the 3rd of May, and was the cause of quite a number of casualties. This was forgotten, however, when it was realized now only Saigon stands in our way of total control of Vietnam and Burma.

15qozu0.jpg

Our gamble paid off, and Singapore fell. It did not go quietly into oblivion however.

An excellent result from a otherwise unsettling few months. However, we must strike again before the British can recover. Maybe at Rangoon, or Port Moseby, or perhaps farther afield to India? The Pacific trembles at our next step

2ldjfc8.jpg

British troops surrender at Singapore. A disastrous defeat will earn Japan much prestige.

Well thatwar started a bit sudden and unexpected, but it looks like you are ready for it.
I didn't get it clear, but did the Yamato indeed get sunk there? If so, that's a grave loss! As feye said, avoid putting carriers in the same fleet as battleships, battlecruisers or heavy cruisers since that will have the screens hang back with the carriers and the battleships charging in uncovered.

Though Singapore is a great prize indeed. I assume Hongkong has fallen as well?

How often do I have to tell you: don't mix CV with any other capitals! The result was the loss of the Yamato, damnit you Admiral Callan.

Good thing taking Singapore

Hah! Actually I got the Yamato out in time. It has 3% strength and No org :/ It's safe in Tokyo now. I chucked it with the shock I got when I scrambled a fleet. Admiral Callan still keeps his title for a little longer!

Well thatwar started a bit sudden and unexpected, but it looks like you are ready for it.
I didn't get it clear, but did the Yamato indeed get sunk there? If so, that's a grave loss! As feye said, avoid putting carriers in the same fleet as battleships, battlecruisers or heavy cruisers since that will have the screens hang back with the carriers and the battleships charging in uncovered.

Though Singapore is a great prize indeed. I assume Hongkong has fallen as well?

Yeah, I was REALLY lucky to get the Yamato out when I did. I should have taken it out of the fleet when I saw it (got in there when I was mixing fleets for screen ratio), but I though f*ck it, what harm. Big mistake I won't make again. Like I said, it's stuck on 3% strength in Tokyo, but will take forever to recover. Still, we have her sister ship. Yeah we got Hong Kong to, but it was so trivial I didn't bother recording the casualties or forces.

Hah! Actually I got the Yamato out in time. It has 3% strength and No org :/ It's safe in Tokyo now. I chucked it with the shock I got when I scrambled a fleet. Admiral Callan still keeps his title for a little longer!

Yay, the Yamato survived despite the lack of leadership by the Admiral :p

Thank god Callan you got that one out. It would have been a massive loss for the IJN :)

You musturu invaduru Austraria!

The Phoney War
3rd May- 1st July 1939

After the great success of taking Singapore, things slowed down very quickly, with the British more concerned about taking anything worth anything out of the Far East. Not to say we didn't take advantage of this. However, one major factor blocking Japanese advancement is the fact the Allies as of now, have sunk a huge amount of convoys. We have responded in kind, but the fact remains that troops not on the main islands are in severe danger, which has hindered advancement somewhat. In retaliation, we have begun to attack Allied ports in a certain radius of our shipping lanes, until we can begin full scale offensives on Continents and land masses.

2qjzhuv.jpg

British (and French) Submarines are the bane of our supply lines. Whilst we've had moderate success in sinking some of them, we need to focus more on them

Our first attack was on Kota Bharu with a Marine division and 1 LC ship attachment, supported by Miakawa's Carrier fleet. Intel and sighting's from our pilots indicated that 20 ships were in the port, most of them transports but a few Battleships and Heavy cruisers. The landing was unopposed, but disappointingly in the British fleets escape we lost the landing craft, and only sunk a few transports. However, in pursuit, we soon discovered the forgotten French fleet still had a presence in the Pacific. It was brushed aside, but it allowed the British fleet to escape, and badly disorganized our Carrier air fleet. Such impotence.

2010h7q.jpg

The French fleet proving to be a nuisance.

We also decided the British ports in Northern Borneo were ripe for the taking, and we did so with One Marine division. However, a Ghurka division stooped us from linking the two ports, and due to lack of supplies and a river crossing penalty, they can't be moved for the moment. Bombers will be brought in to weaken them up. The casualty ratio was slightly in our favour, 1003 of our men for 1340 of his. A good indicator of what to expect in future battles. In other news, a small Chinese uprising in Xuyni, a small backwater province on the Guangxi border, was put down. We also had a quick glimpse on the Western Front in Europe, where the Axis appear to be making steady gains. Hopefully, France will be gone soon, and we can have Indochina...

24whrut.jpg

Our Allies in Europe are striking hard in France.

Situation in the Far East 1st July 1939

n2g9rc.jpg

Nice going. I suppose you want to try and deal with the British and French before tangling with the Americans?

DAT random Gurkha division lol. Without any supplies your bombers should tear them to shreads though.

Nice going. I suppose you want to try and deal with the British and French before tangling with the Americans?

Exactly. Consildate myself in the East and then strike. Also, Australia and New Zealand are still neutral, and can turn at any second. They would make lovely colonies.

DAT random Gurkha division lol. Without any supplies your bombers should tear them to shreads though.

I was surprised to see them in the middle of nowhere. I'll add that to the "What the F are they doing there!?!" list, which will no doubt increase as the war drags on

I was surprised to see them in the middle of nowhere. I'll add that to the "What the F are they doing there!?!" list, which will no doubt increase as the war drags on

French losing a Maginot line province. Since I can't blame you for that, I'll at least blame Paradox :D

Logistical Setbacks
1st July 1939-1st September 1939

Very little happened in these two months, so I shall keep this short and sweet. As I mentioned previously, we were being ripped to pieces by Allied submarines, and nearly all our island garrisons and fresh conquests were out of supply. Troops could not move, ships were vulnerable, and aircraft were grounded. We had to strike back. And our miracle came, when France finally fell on the 5th August, granting us the entire Vichy French colony of Vietnam. This came in useful, as we were in striking distance of Allied ports in Borneo and the Indonesian Islands.

24v5tvo.jpg

Der Führer, the architect Albert Speer, and the renowned sculptor Arno Breker in front of the Reich's latest acquisition. Japan was only overjoyed to be entrusted with the French Far-Eastern Colony's.

Once the supply issues were quelled, the war dragged on. We drove the Gurkha's, who are suffering very badly due to lack of supplies, back over the river line, deeper into the jungle. We completed our round of Carrier research, meaning we officially have the best carriers in the world! Or in theory anyway. Also, the latest round of infantry small arms, heavy support, indirect fire and Anti-Tank weaponry were complete. Quite hefty to upgrade all our divisions, but it's worth it.

9rr6gg.jpg

The British's crack infantry cannot fight without supplies, no more than our own troops

Domain of the Empire of Japan 1st September 1939

mlmf5c.jpg