• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
This is a great idea and it's also good to see that within a quarter of an hour someone has been found to have a go at this "experiment". :)

Have fun both of you and like others already said, please share your experiences from time to time to enlighten us and maybe even encourage others. :D

What would make a proper AAR of this game different from general issue AARs?

You going into detail on how you oriented your partner to the map. How you explained events and actions. Any efforts put into insuring that your partner was actually getting the play experience rather than you simply chatting with him while you made all the decisions, etc and so on.

Also, the OP should include his own side of the AAR. Difficulties he had in "visualizing" country layouts, geographic/map associations, events, etc and so on. His experiences in the game. His reasoning for the decisions he made, etc and so on.

One of the really big problems for such game pairings can be the ego of the player doing the helping. Another problem can be the inability of the helper to figure out how to describe things. An AAR where both parties of the pair go into how such things, and others I can't even begin to think of, might be of good value to anyone else who tries to step up and help a community member in need of such assistance.

I suggest a combined POV AAR from both you. Each going into as much detail as practicable and enjoyable as separate but woven narratives.

I would have suggested that "as an aar" you would talk about the experience of playing as much as what happened. After all that is what makes your story so unique.
Well the first playthrough is me more explaining stuff since niall hasnt ever played any of those games yet. So maybe in the future perhaps in a second playthrough. But until we get there ,it will probably after several months.
This is a great idea and it's also good to see that within a quarter of an hour someone has been found to have a go at this "experiment". :)

Have fun both of you and like others already said, please share your experiences from time to time to enlighten us and maybe even encourage others. :D
Will do:)
What would make a proper AAR of this game different from general issue AARs?

You going into detail on how you oriented your partner to the map. How you explained events and actions. Any efforts put into insuring that your partner was actually getting the play experience rather than you simply chatting with him while you made all the decisions, etc and so on.

I explained most of the mechanics on the first playthrough and explained some more during actually gameplay. And made use of what he knew about Europe .
Also, the OP should include his own side of the AAR. Difficulties he had in "visualizing" country layouts, geographic/map associations, events, etc and so on. His experiences in the game. His reasoning for the decisions he made, etc and so on.

One of the really big problems for such game pairings can be the ego of the player doing the helping. Another problem can be the inability of the helper to figure out how to describe things. An AAR where both parties of the pair go into how such things, and others I can't even begin to think of, might be of good value to anyone else who tries to step up and help a community member in need of such assistance.

I suggest a combined POV AAR from both you. Each going into as much detail as practicable and enjoyable as separate but woven narratives.

We are both students and as it stands now ,enough time goes into just playing it. Let alone an AAR with both sides. I told niall about it ,and he isnt sure himself on what to do.
Since he hasnt played any paradoxgames ,the first gameplay is mostly me talking about the game, as niall himself wants.

Ill ask him to come and share his view of the situation.

Hi everyone,
I'm sorry I have been so silent. I'm not exactly used to posting on forums and am bad at gathering my thoughts in this format, but I'll do my best. I agree that writing an aar eventually would be a good idea for all the reasons listed, but I do feel that we should wait until this Castille game is finished. I will try and write about my thoughts a little more on this thread though. I do read a lot of aars on this forum when the mood strikes me, and have enjoyed them immensely. Unfortunately we aren't really sure what our schedules will look like in the coming weeks and haven't had a chance to play in nearly a week now, because of real life goings on. So I'll keep you posted and will do my best to figure things out when things settle down a little.

Just don't get yourself too distracted from the actual gaming. Giving feedback here or maybe writing an AAR later should always be #2 behind ENJOYING THIS GREAT GAME! ;)

I am very happy that Niall can enjoy Paradox games.

Niall, it a fun game?

Hi guys ,sorry for not letting much know as of late. Both me and niall have picked up our regular lives again since the holiday has passed.
Both of us are going through some tough studies (engineering - asian languages+politics) ,so we don't have as much time/energy to play regularly.

I promise though that we will continue, and that future updates will be posted!

This is a really great idea. Hope you two can continue this, and I'd love to hear a report on how its working.

A large part of what kept me from getting into grand strategy games was how overwhelming they are visually. If there was a grand strategy game that had a user interface like Zork I'd be all over that, and I don't think I'd be alone either. I suppose it'd be like an IRC chatbot acting as a games master for a grand strategy RPG game.

Last edited:
So we picked it up for an hour an made some small progress
http://steamcommunity.com/id/burny26/screenshot/1099167936540161760

Our armies were obliterated by the French in last session ,so we restarted our recruitmentphase when our pool was almost full again. The integration of Portugal is well on its way (57%) since we need its resources ASAP.
We have taken 5 provinces from Morocco for our African conquest since playing a Europegame seems more and more out of the question as long as we dont have the manpower to take on BBB.
and we have captured some Morrocon ships as well.

Oh ,and the old geezer in Rome, you know... the one with the funny hat, has become our lapdog.
Onward to a bright Catholic African Continent!!!
onward-cat.jpg

Very cool approach guys, wow.
I'm really impressed by this, and if it would have been my mother tounge, i definetely would do something like this too.
But to explain a Paradox game in a second/foreign language would be quite tough ^^

Had a session with my girlfriend explaining her Crusader Kings 2 (for almost 2 hours) and started a multiplayer game with her.
I just can imagine what a mass of information must be delivered to describe such a game to someone not able to see all the graphical aspects.
And i think it's really cool from niall to make this work (and being the tactical/strategical mind alongside with someone can be pretty neat and lead to awesome gaming sessions =D )

And as a little suggestion:
Niall: Do you maybe have access to a big globe, that is geographically correct? (with mountain heights etc.), we had something like that in our towns library.
That would help a lot with imaging the world itself.

So game on, and have fun ^^

Last edited:
Very ccol approach guys, wow.
I'm really impressed by this, and if it would have been my mother tounge, i definetely would do something like this too.
But to explain a Paradox game in a second/foreign language would be quite tough ^^

Had a session with my girlfriend explaining her Crusader Kings 2 (for almost 2 hours) and started a multiplayer game with her.
And she is STILL your gf? :eek: :D
you apparently hit the jackpot ,mine would just turn her eyes :p
I just can imagine what a mass of information must be delivered to describe such a game to something not able to see all the graphical aspects.
And i think it's really cool from niall to make this work (and being the tactical/strategical mind alongside with someone can be pretty neat and lead to awesome gaming sessions =D )

And as a little suggestion:
Niall: Do you maybe have access to a big globe, that is geographically correct? (with mountain heights etc.), we had something like that in our towns library.
That would help a lot with imaging the world itself.

So game on, and have fun ^^

I asked him and he told me that in his childhood he had seen/felt maps for the blind but now are nowhere to be found.

We played for an hour today ,didnt do anything spectacular.
Integrated Portugal and got a Latin American colony + an African one.
Started to core the Moroccon regions at a fairly high admin cost due to berber traditions.
We are now fighting Mali (called Crusade) to start using our colonists postwar finally :p

Generating +15 ducats at full army maintenance (with 36k in the field and 50k in the pool).

And she is STILL your gf? :eek: :D
you apparently hit the jackpot ,mine would just turn her eyes :p

I asked him and he told me that in his childhood he had seen/felt maps for the blind but now are nowhere to be found.

Yep, she is. And she's having a blast with CK2 =)

That the maps can't be found anymore is quite a disappointment.
At the moment i have no other idea to make niall better visualize the globe.
But good advancement in your game, taking some colonies, fighting a crusade and getting rich sounds like a lot of fun to me =D

Sad to see that it seems this project hasn't gone much farther, i really enjoyed reading through this thread.

On the contrary,we are going to play today :)

i really hope, that the two are going to post some more stuff here =)

EDIT: There havent been much update since both of us have very busy lives. We very often chat on skype still ,playing has reduced a bit though. But nothing is stopped ,that can be said for sure. ;)

Last edited:
http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/903266226759332470/F17D0451C34E7FB55BCB300B3C50B65F0BA65F7C/

So as you can see we are fully engaged in a colonial race versus France. We have gotten several colonial ideas and are planning on outracing France ,since we can't best them militarly on their hometurf.
France is atm waging a war with britanny ,probably with the idea of annexing them. So we are profiting from this opportunity to not look after our homeland and fully focus on using Mali as a ducatpinãta and engage in savagegenocide.

We are planning on choosing trade ideas next to boost our income so we can in turn boost our navies, armies and buildingfever.
As long as France keeps itself occupied with European affairs, we can expand easily.

Any suggestions? :)

Last edited: