• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Short and sweet. Italy gains another useful puppet. To me, this highlights the weakness of the mobilization system vs the daily mp growth system. By the time a small to mid sized nation mobilizes in response to an attack, and builds some divisions, they can be annexed.

Wasn't that actually what happened with several nations during World War II?

Kudos on the playtesting btw!

One new feature I wanted to specifically point out is that when you invest in research at the comprehensive investment level, you now gain random blue prints that seem to favor anything you are currently researching. This is a great feature for a tech slot poor nation like Italy or Japan. It helps you keep pace with the big boys.

researchex1r.jpg

This is why I do all I can to get cash.
alb1.jpg

While Albania has been a loyal puppet, and even provided a couple bp's, it is time for them to join the empire.
alb2t.jpg

Zog dares to decline our generous offer? What he refuses to give, we will take.

WWII is about to start. Is there anything in particular you guys want to see from the period between Spain and WWII? I have multiple saves so getting screenies of anything will be easy. I am especially eager to see how the RM does vs the RN. Italy invested in 6 CV's and my doctrines are almost up to date. That means that I may be even or possibly even ahead of the UK in naval doctrines. Unfortunately, my investments in CV's and bombers leaves me weak on my land forces. Most of my divisions are pre 1931. :( Can't have everything. My land doctrines are up to date though as are my air doctrines. I hope that makes up the difference. I am using my militia for beach defense and some garrisons for island defense. I currently have 2 35 mot/arm divisions in Africa. In order to gain Tunisia in the peace negotiations with France, I must occupy it. Same with Corsica and metropolitan France. Italy needs every scrap of ic she can borrow, beg or steal. With that in mind, I will deploy to hold off British advances from Egypt while I snag Tunisia. I will use Spanish troops and some of my own to distract France in the south, while I have 9 divisions ready to hit Gibraltar. I have 3 Mar/arm ready for Malta. I cannot defend Albania until France falls, so I hope no one gets "frisky" in the Balkans. The divisions attacking Gibraltar will be transported to Northern Italy in order to grab provinces from Nice to Marseilles, though I already have inf/art divisions defending up there. After playing titans like the US and Germany, I forgot how interesting Italy can be.

So, WWII has started. Germany gained a couple unusual allies. I have made no changes to anybody's neutrality settings, so I was shocked to find them there. I also show the pride of the Regia Marina, as well as my various starting positions.

screensave1fra.jpg

screensave2fra.jpg

screensave3fra.jpg

screensave5fra1.jpg

screensave6fra.jpg

screensave7fra.jpg

screensave8fra.jpg

screensave9fra.jpg

screensave10fra.jpg

screensave11fra.jpg

screensave12fra.jpg

screensave13fra.jpg

screensave14fra.jpg

screensave15fra.jpg

screensave16fra.jpg

screensave17fra.jpg

screensave18fra.jpg

screensave19fra.jpg

screensave20fra.jpg

Thus begins the opening days of Italy in WWII. Shall we prevail? Will the big red bear devour tiny Italy? Will that carrier investment workout as hoped? or will it turn into a huge boondoggle? I was very surprised that the French sub fleet closed with my CV's.

The war is proceeding well on all fronts save the naval war. The CV fleet is laid up for repair after encountering the French subs, though it suffered no losses. The RM sub groups are performing well, and the old CA fleet also performs with distinction.

screensave21fra.jpg

screensave22fra.jpg

screensave23fra.jpg

screensave24fra.jpg

screensave25fra.jpg

screensave26fra.jpg

screensave27fra.jpg

screensave28fra.jpg

screensave29fra.jpg

screensave30fra.jpg

screensave31fra.jpg

screensave32fra.jpg

screensave33fra.jpg

screensave34fra.jpg

screensave35fra.jpg

screensave36fra.jpg

screensave38fra.jpg

screensave39fra.jpg

screensave40fra.jpg

screensave41fra.jpg

A competent Italy? I salute you, my good man.

screensave41fra.jpg

Spanish troops have really impressed me. Italian "supervision" and training has really increased their prowess.

screensave42fra.jpg

Another Puppet joins the new Roman Empire.

screensave43fra.jpg

Current Axis members

screensave44fra.jpg

Mare Nostrum is Italy's. Leave now or die vain, inglorious deaths.

screensave45fra.jpg

Sure the UK did not expect me to leave East Africa to their tender mercies?

screensave0yug.jpg

The first real confrontation between the RN and the RM. Who shall rule the med? It is out of order, somehow I missed it earlier. I can't edit it in now without exceeding the 20 SS limit.

screensave1yug.jpg

Results of the second confrontation. Give me more defeats like that.

screensave2yug.jpg

Last starting UK unit in North Africa. The southern UK units will likely start bothering me soon.

screensave3yug.jpg

Another "defeat"

screensave4yug.jpg

Still another "defeat". :p

screensave5yug.jpg

Grazioli and elements of the Afirca corps attack a British unit in the Sudan

screensave7yug.jpg

The beginning of the Yugoslavian conflict.

screensave8yug.jpg

The Albanian front

screensave9yug.jpg

Planned attacks for the northern front

screensave10yug.jpg

A small naval skirmish in the Adriatic

screensave11yug.jpg

Leads to several more as the UK attempts to reinforce Yugoslavia. At least I assume that is what the TPs are for.

screensave12yug.jpg

screensave13yug.jpg

screensave14yug.jpg

screensave15yug.jpg

screensave12yug.jpg

screensave13yug.jpg

screensave14yug.jpg

screensave15yug.jpg

screensave17yug.jpg

screensave18yug.jpg

screensave19yug.jpg

screensave24yug.jpg

screensave25yug.jpg

screensave26yug.jpg

screensave27yug.jpg

screensave28yug.jpg

screensave29yug.jpg

screensave30yug.jpg

You obliterated the Brits without much resistance. It is quite sad.
LOL, it is not as it seems. I will be going into more detail with the African war. When the UK has equal or close to equal forces, Italy suffers a serious butt kicking. Notice that with all my victories, there was nothing approaching force parity.

LOL, it is not as it seems. I will be going into more detail with the African war. When the UK has equal or close to equal forces, Italy suffers a serious butt kicking. Notice that with all my victories, there was nothing approaching force parity.
Yeah, but you were able to conquer Egypt and Gibraltar easily. The AI also didn't react to your conquest of Spain.

Yeah, but you were able to conquer Egypt and Gibraltar easily. The AI also didn't react to your conquest of Spain.
Democracy can DOW was off, and I purposely kept my belligerence below the DOW threshold. Gamey? Maybe, I will accept that if so charged. Neither France nor UK GOI'd Rep SPN. If they had, I would not have dared attack them. Once I owned Spain, Gibraltar was a foregone conclusion. Egypt should have been garrisoned better, but the UK had a lot of troops in France and had it's beaches well defended. Believe me, I checked. :p If the UK had stripped her beach defenders at home, you would really be complaining had I pulled an Italian Sea Lion.

Democracy can DOW was off, and I purposely kept my belligerence below the DOW threshold. Gamey? Maybe, I will accept that if so charged. Neither France nor UK GOI'd Rep SPN. If they had, I would not have dared attack them. Once I owned Spain, Gibraltar was a foregone conclusion. Egypt should have been garrisoned better, but the UK had a lot of troops in France and had it's beaches well defended. Believe me, I checked. :p If the UK had stripped her beach defenders at home, you would really be complaining had I pulled an Italian Sea Lion.
I'm just stating the facts.

I also think that France/the UK should GOI Spain. If you combine lack of resistance in Egypt and no reaction in Spain, it becomes a cakewalk to own the RN in the Med.

Also, the UK had 1 div in Gibraltar. 1 freaking division. Come on...

They also had only 1 division in Malta and no divisions in the Suez. Blame that on the Italian air force though. :)

I usually do not do reloads to correct a bad situation, but I lost 2 carriers due to these surprise retirements. I plan to reload at November 1940(the closest save) and remove Ghe. I will probably do the same with the others, though it is very irritating to lose leaders I have spent 6 years building up.

Ok, as I mentioned, I went back to my November 1940 save. Retirements should not be a surprise imo. All of the leaders that are planned to retire have been replaced. The RM will be in port a week before the event until I find out who the new Grand Admiral is. This post and the next few will deal with the war in Africa and the middle east. I still have not decided whether to attack Persia/Iran yet, though all of the elements will be in place.
I am leaning that way in order to help the Germans by grabbing Baku early on. I will also help by taking military control of Romania, Bulgaria, Hungary and Turkey. That should help make up for an ai Germany.

screensave0aar.jpg

screensave1aar.jpg

screensave2aar.jpg

screensave4aar.jpg

screensave5aar.jpg

screensave6aar.jpg

screensave7aar.jpg

screensave8aar.jpg

screensave9aar.jpg

screensave10r.jpg

screensave11aar.jpg

screensave12aar.jpg