• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Judging by the screens attached, the settlement slots in a single province are now 6 (7, adding the capital one placed above, near the character portrait) instead of the announced 8, right?

And why in Polotsk we have three slots available for construction while in Orsha just one? Is it a matter of overall population (but I can't see any number about it in the interface, aside from the manpower count which it is the same for both provinces BTW), or is it a matter of scripted historical settlement names (IE, in Polotsk the database counts more settlements names than in Orsha)?

As a related note, we will be able to name our newly constructed settlements?

unled1bjs.jpg
unled2jw.jpg

Game looks great!

Looks like every province is giving 10/24 gold in the beginning. Are you really going with the Sengoku route where every province is identical to every other? I guess it makes it easier to balance and it didn't bother me all that much in Sengoku but surely a little Finnish province in the middle of nowhere shouldn't be just as valuable as Venice if both have the same buldings.

Looks like every province is giving 10/24 gold in the beginning. Are you really going with the Sengoku route where every province is identical to every other? I guess it makes it easier to balance and it didn't bother me all that much in Sengoku but surely a little Finnish province in the middle of nowhere shouldn't be just as valuable as Venice if both have the same buldings.

The province of Venice will have more cities, castles and churches.

i thought that spain was part of the HRE with the hapsburgs or something

Hapsburgs were Austrians, not Spaniards.

But they landed the Duchy of Burgundy and its Duke Philippe the Handsome became the first Hapsburg King of Castille by his marriage to Queen Juana of Castille.

Spain proper was never part of the HRE, but their holdings in Burgundy, Flanders, and Franche-Comté were.

The province of Venice will have more cities, castles and churches.
Great, but will a little Finnish province have the potential to rival Venice by the end of the game? More broadly, will some provinces be permanently less valuable than others due to size, resources, location, etc by capping them with less potential cities, castles, and churches?

All things considered, I'd prefer the latter. Venice has a thousand year head start in infrastructure over Finnish wilderness. Even with concerted effort of a strong central government, I can't imagine that you'd get the two on par in the game's time frame. That means either limiting certain provinces, forcing long time spans between adding new settlements, or making the costs associated with the upper tiers of development astronomically high to reflect the challenge.

Great, but will a little Finnish province have the potential to rival Venice by the end of the game? More broadly, will some provinces be permanently less valuable than others due to size, resources, location, etc by capping them with less potential cities, castles, and churches?

All things considered, I'd prefer the latter. Venice has a thousand year head start in infrastructure over Finnish wilderness. Even with concerted effort of a strong central government, I can't imagine that you'd get the two on par in the game's time frame. That means either limiting certain provinces, forcing long time spans between adding new settlements, or making the costs associated with the upper tiers of development astronomically high to reflect the challenge.

You can see it in the video: Each province has a maximum number of settlements. Potolsk has a max of six, Orsha a max of four. Venice will likely have seven, maybe even from the start. The northern wilderness might have only one.

Looks like Potolsk has great potential.

Can we mod the amount of maximum settlements? For example if Lübeck has 4 and I want to change it to 2, would that be possible?

If that stuff is hardcoded then that would render all map-modding, beyond purely aesthetic changes, impossible....So I'd say probably yes. :)

Yes, I too am very curious about the settlement feature in CKII. As far as live gameplay and screens, we have still not seen how this is going to work. It was my understanding that we would have the abilty to construct buildings in each settlement. Is that correct? So we could build one fortess each in our bishoprics, towns, and baronies? Well, I our characters would only ever control a barony. I kept wishing the user in this video would hover over the new settlement button to see the requirements to build another. I suppose if you were to build a new bishopric, for instance, you would have to immediately grant the title to a bishop? That is, if you had crown investiture.