10 Years since EU4 was released - a Retrospective

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Lions was popul;ar because it added brokenly OP stuff to somewhat popular nations. In reality it is one of the worst DLCs, quality-wise, the game has had...

• 3Like
Reactions:
Back during the original design talks for EU3, I had envisioned a random new world. This was beyond our skill back then, and it was beyond what we could add to Eu4 at release, so we thought it would be a good idea to add to the first expansion. In hindsight it was not. Besides the fact that it was insanely expensive to do, it also did not work properly in multiplayer nor did it create good maps.

The accompanying patch had the big reworking of the random new world feature, making it actually fun to use.
Random new world is my favourite feature among those I almost never use. In part because the chance of getting a boring new world is so high, and in part because so many achievements can't be obtained with a random new world for no obvious good reason.

Reactions:
Random new world is my favourite feature among those I almost never use. In part because the chance of getting a boring new world is so high, and in part because so many achievements can't be obtained with a random new world for no obvious good reason.

Not to mention how many attempts it takes with the stupid tile system to get a map that I can stand. Personally I prefer the original version; yes, it had some issues but generally had nothing like square (and other obviously unnatural) land masses or land-locked sea zones...

Does anybody know which computer game holds the record for longest period of continuous post-release development?
NetHack? Although it may not be fair to compare open source and corporate games.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Does anybody know which computer game holds the record for longest period of continuous post-release development?

Is it EU4?
If we limit the query to commercial computer games, then EverQuest was released in March 1999, had its 29th expansion released in December 2022, and is scheduled to have its 30th expansion released in December 2023.

Reactions:
Not to mention how many attempts it takes with the stupid tile system to get a map that I can stand. Personally I prefer the original version; yes, it had some issues but generally had nothing like square (and other obviously unnatural) land masses or land-locked sea zones...
Whenever I wanted to do RNW I usually just downloaded a mod that added a custom NW. The best one I remember was a Americas sized Falkland Islands.

1692519255680.png

1692519271172.png

• 2Like
  • 2Love
  • 1Haha
Reactions:
In my humble opinion EU4 was the best paradox sequel to a franchise (maybe CK2 and Vicky 2 comes close though, but I have never played CK1 and Vicky 1 so can't say, and HoI4 is definitely up there after all the years of DLC).

On release I was amazed that it had all the content of EU3 + all expansions and more (with some features replaced by something better), I also did not recall encountering any bugs on release and I found the EU4 release AI just amazing (compared to EU3 at least), not amazing in the sense that it was great objectively, but definitely great compared to other games (I'm a software engineer so I find the AI everyone always complains about very impressive). It's definitely my favourite PDX game. After 10 years of support EU4 became a truly great game which I will definitely come back to even in decades (unless EU5 is just as much of an improvement over EU4 as EU4 was over EU3).

People saying occasionally on these forums that EU4 release was bad just surprise me every time on these forums. Sure compared to its state after 10 years, reverting to release version would make you think it's terrible, but compared to EU3 Divine Wind? Definitely a very worthy successor. After getting EU4 I only opened EU3 once after a few months, and after playing for a few hours I never looked back.

Reactions:
After getting EU4 I only opened EU3 once after a few months, and after playing for a few hours I never looked back.
Heh. When I tried to open EU3 after getting used to EU4, my eyes just went "lolno we are not staring at this map for hours" and I closed the game :)

• 1Haha
Reactions:
EU4 is great but I want to tell you this: it was played so much, that even new DLC are fun, for the moment, and then not.

We really need EUV, with pops system and sliders system, where money making most (not the king, king may help or not but he is not main factor of whole country delevopment, be serious guys, this was made better in EU3) It can be combined with dev system, when large population of undeveloped province do much less than lets say 112k Venice. And army made from pops. They die, your pops getting lower, then should be harder to maintain too, no more 70k standing army in 1444 hard iron mode Mamluks, be serious. You need to raise new ones to wage another war, how many % of pop is your army? This opens new ways. Colonization? You need to send pops to colonize. This was the case why Portogal didnt colonzie that much but Spain did. Portugal had not so much people to send to colonies like Spain had. And this will aready cause another nice thing- diseases. You will kill poor Indians by plague, but you wont be able to colonize more than mere forts on African coast. This is an absurd that we are able to conquer Sahel or Kongo in 1500's.

The problem with EU IV is too much bloobing in my opinion and too easy coring provinces.
And the trade, now it is some Colbert's very very wet dream, when mercantilism is super ok with nearly no neg eff or trade nodes are all about mercantilism. This has to be changed.

EU IV have unbreakable limitations. We need EU V and you need it as well, to be able to fullfill your plans. Vic3 was maybe a quite fail, but province system is not that bad (I mean this super fragmentation of the province, making this realy realistic about starting colonize\conquer part by part, now in EU IV you can start colonize one province which is 50k m2 and all this province getting Spain gold color). And the map. I know it would be a revolution, but maybe think about more globe-like map, for realistic and fair countries sizes (no more giga Sweden, that would be sad for you :D ) Watch Warhammer Dawn of War, they made this 20 years ago :D Globe map would be terrific.

So after all, great job guys but dont waste more time on EU4, take all hands on EU5 board to make our and your dreams come true ;)

• 3Like
Reactions:
Reminder: Ruler stats were more important in EU3 than they are in the current state of EU4.
Are you sure about that? In EU4 dev of whole country depends from this as the technology. Get high stat ruler and u make 30 dev metropolis in the middle of nowhwere like siberia or desert in one day. There should be investments system, not magic points from the ruler

Are you sure about that?
Yes.

Because ruler numeric stats in EU3 affected a whole bunch of things (WE reduction, Infamy reduction, diplomatic success, army morale, navy morale, etc.) in EU3 that they don't affect in any version of EU4, and as EU4 has advanced we have gained more tools to mitigate bad luck in ruler/heir stats. (National focus (if the problem is just skewed stats); +4/+5 advisors; discounted advisors from estates; disinheritance and abdication; etc.)

Colonization? You need to send pops to colonize. This was the case why Portogal didnt colonzie that much but Spain did. Portugal had not so much people to send to colonies like Spain had.
Where did this idea come from? I keep seeing people say this and it just plain isn’t true. Colonisation in history didn’t work how it does in EUIV; the constraints on colonisation in real history have no relation to what makes sense in the context of EUIV.

• 1Like
Reactions:
So from what you say, I bought every expansions planned for EUIV, Emperor being the last one in existence. I don't recognize the jumble of mission trees that followed as expansions and don't want them, sadly. I hope that EUV do away entirely with mission trees and even national ideas to refocus as a game about managing a country in an uncertain world.

That being said, it has been a mostly fun ride. I conquered the world a few times and played a lot with friends and alone, boasting my achievements and discussing the game and the ways we would like for it to be improved or learning new tricks about it.

You can't please everyone. I wish you a good continuation, and many more years of game development.

• 1Like
Reactions:
Institutions are a good idea, but bad execution and ruined the game ultimately. It is too woke. The game should be Europe-centric. You can call me what you want and I bet you heard this opinion many times. But nothing will change my mind. I was in the forums last time around 2013... so it's funny to be back. Thankfully mods exist, but I would be happy if you could implement in the game setting some changes to make institutions more towards Europe and also bring back westernization.
To this day I remember playing Iroquois before 1.18. or as Russia and going through horrible hard westernization and it was all great fun and felt correct (mind you, Russia today is still mentally in the 16th century). While curently we have industrialized central africa around 1800 in the game... So yes it would be nice to bring it back.
If you call this game Historical Sanbox STH - xxx I would not say a word, but I remember how it was before 1.18.
I am sure many people said sth like this over the years here but like I said I was active on the forums mainly in 2012 and since not really. Back then people were laughing at me that Hellenism would NEVER come to CK2 officially and how stupid I am, and now look. :)

EU IV is a great game. Thank you for it.